PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson Pays Tribute To Arenas

I Love P
01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Pretty interesting...

WASHINGTON -- While the Washington Wizards have removed virtually all traces of Gilbert Arenas from the Verizon Center, one teammate found a way to get his suspended teammate's nickname visible Sunday when the team played the New Orleans Hornets.

DeShawn Stevenson took to the court during pregame warmups with the words "AGENT" and "ZERO" written in red capital letters on tape wrapped around his shins -- just above his shoe tops.

The Wizards removed all Arenas-related merchandise from the arena and edited him out of the pregame video after he was suspended indefinitely by the NBA on Wednesday. Arenas is under investigation for bringing guns to the Verizon Center and related incidents.

Fans arriving for the game also saw a new multistory banner on the facade of the arena, replacing the one that had featured Arenas. The new banner focuses on the team's community service, with the slogan: "On your team, on the court and in the community, Wizards care."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4813488

the jaddler
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Stevenson should be fined and or suspended!!!

The Wizards are doing a fine thing!!!!

gummy
01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Stevenson should be fined and or suspended!!!

The Wizards are doing a fine thing!!!!

I agree with the way the Wizards are handling this situation. Arenas should not be suiting up right now.

But fined or suspended for what, exactly? Stevenson is not committing a crime or breaking any NBA rules. Maybe if you're management you take him aside and ask him what he's trying to express and talk about whether or not he should be doing it. But I don't see any reason to go all medieval on him.

idioteque
01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I believe there is past evidence that DeShawn Stevenson isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. This should surprise no one, unfortunately.

vapacersfan
01-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I agree with the way the Wizards are handling this situation. Arenas should not be suiting up right now.

But fined or suspended for what, exactly? Stevenson is not committing a crime or breaking any NBA rules. Maybe if you're management you take him aside and ask him what he's trying to express and talk about whether or not he should be doing it. But I don't see any reason to go all medieval on him.

Agreed. No need for a fine or a suspension.

I believe there is past evidence that DeShawn Stevenson isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. This should surprise no one, unfortunately.

Agreed

the jaddler
01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
ok maybe i went overboard......altough i kinda feel like he is mocking stern....he does need a talkin to!

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-10-2010, 05:29 PM

I agree with you, but were the players who laughed in that, now famous, picture committing a crime or breaking any rules?

I mean, we can't condone the actions of a criminal now. Ban him from the league for such thuggish actions!

cordobes
01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
This was a very unfortunate situation. Arenas was starting to play well, I had lots of fun watching him in the game vs. Philly. Hopefully he can return sooner than later, he already misses too many games due to injuries.

Not a fan of Lincoln tattoos on the neck, hein?

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b84f69e20120a6046222970c-350wi

High level of pain tolerance though.

the jaddler
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
This was a very unfortunate situation. Arenas was starting to play well, I had lots of fun watching him in the game vs. Philly. Hopefully he can return sooner than later, he already misses too many games due to injuries.

Not a fan of Lincoln tattoos on the neck, hein?

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b84f69e20120a6046222970c-350wi

High level of pain tolerance though.

is that some sort of gang tattoo

MyFavMartin
01-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Rumors are that Washington will blow up the team, but Butler and Jamison are two very good core guys and add Haywood and Miller along with young talent McGee and Nick Young... Me thinks the Wiz fans have suffered enough. Rebuilding from scratch would kill the remnants of the local fan base...

The team really plays better with a true PG like Boykins. I really think TJ Ford would be a good fit for them.

Hicks
01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Why ship out Butler and Jamison if you don't have to or want to?

MikeDC
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Rumors are that Washington will blow up the team, but Butler and Jamison are two very good core guys and add Haywood and Miller along with young talent McGee and Nick Young... Me thinks the Wiz fans have suffered enough. Rebuilding from scratch would kill the remnants of the local fan base...

The team really plays better with a true PG like Boykins. I really think TJ Ford would be a good fit for them.

If they're so good, how come their record has been so bad?

MyFavMartin
01-10-2010, 11:47 PM
If they're so good, how come their record has been so bad?

Injuries and a lack of chemistry due to the injuries and a new coach and his system.

duke dynamite
01-11-2010, 12:07 AM
He really loves Abraham Lincoln?

MikeDC
01-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Injuries and a lack of chemistry due to the injuries and a new coach and his system.

I'm not buying that. The last two years I was in DC, they had those guys basically healthy, and they went 42-40 and 41-41. They got beat in the first round both years.

They're just not that great. Jamison and Butler have great reps around the league, but if you really look at their careers and teams, they haven't won very much at all. Jamison is 33 and owed money that would make our players blush. If the Wiz have any sense, they'd have traded him yesterday.

cordobes
01-11-2010, 01:57 AM

I have no idea. It's Abe Lincoln and the 5 dollars bill but I'm not sure if there's an explanation, at least a good one.

Mike Jones from the Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/outlet/2009/sep/28/wizards-media-day/) got Stevenson's thoughts on some of his other tatoos:

On his left cheek bone is inked the Pitsburgh Pirate’s ‘P’, “for the Pittsburgh, that’s my favorite team. Barry Bonds, when he first started.” The thing about the P is, however, that it’s backwards and looks more like a 9. DeShawn tried to explain, “No, if you’re standing where Dom’s standing and looking at me, it looks like a P.” Dominic McGuire was standing directly in front of him about 10 yards away, but it still looked like a 9. I think DeShawn meant to say, “when I look in the mirror it looks like a P.” The final new tat is a crack on the left side of Stevenson’s forehead. He said it’s because “I don’t crack. I feel like people always try to break me, but I don’t crack. So, I put that there.”

Mourning
01-11-2010, 07:50 AM
ok maybe i went overboard......altough i kinda feel like he is mocking stern....he does need a talkin to!

So? The guy should get a medal for mocking Stern if anything ;).

Seriously though, not the brightest move from Stevenson, but one that doesn't even come close to warranting somekind of penalty of suspension. Just my :twocents:.

Shade
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I have no idea. It's Abe Lincoln and the 5 dollars bill but I'm not sure if there's an explanation, at least a good one.

Mike Jones from the Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/outlet/2009/sep/28/wizards-media-day/) got Stevenson's thoughts on some of his other tatoos:

Wow, DeShawn really isn't that bright, is he? :laugh: