PDA

View Full Version : Lakers could offer Bynum for Bosh

pwee31
01-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Good ole Peter Vescey

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14934

It's become very clear in recent weeks which NBA players are going to be front and center on the list of players to be talked about non-stop in trade rumors between now and the February 18th trade deadline, and Chris Bosh is right at the tippy-top of that list.

We've heard for a while now that Bosh could be traded (despite the fact that Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo continues to insist that it's his intention to keep his All-Star in Canada long term), but seldom have we heard actual, specific deals being thrown out there for us to consider. Leave it up to the New York Post's Peter Vescey to remedy that.

According to one of Vescey's sources, the L.A. Lakers could offer Andrew Bynum for Bosh. The idea behind such a trade (or any trade they may make for Bosh) is that Toronto doesn't get left with nothing should their franchise player bolt in free agency. Trade him now and get some value, which admittedly Bynum would be. He's a talented, young center with the potential to dominate, and he's under contract for three more years. The Raps could move Andrea Bargnani over to the four and have a pretty solid frontcourt, at least for a few more years.

But somehow Bynum doesn't feel like enough for Bosh. The Lakers' center is talented, but he's also spent a lot of the last couple years injured, and with Toronto likely getting offers from 29 NBA teams for Bosh, it's hard to believe that Drew Bynum and another player thrown in to match contracts would be the best offer out there. Lakers fans have to love the idea of a Pau Gasol/Chris Bosh frontcourt, but right now it seems like a little bit of a fairy tale.

Colangelo continues to go on record as saying they really aren't exploring trading Bosh right now, and considering Toronto has won eight of their last nine (including some wins over pretty good teams) and are now back over .500, the emergency to move the big guy isn't as omnipresent as it was before this run. The idea of moving Bosh while they can get something for him isn't going to go away, which is why Bosh's name is going to move from trade rumors the next several weeks, but expect specific offers like this one to start surfacing as we approach the deadline. Teams want Bosh, and there's the possibility that he could be available, meaning this is going to be news for a while.

DocHolliday
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Can I be Vecsey's successor?

BRushWithDeath
01-10-2010, 06:55 PM
This seems like it could be a good deal for both teams.

MillerTime
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
This seems like it could be a good deal for both teams.

Toronto is going to be more inclined to re-sign Bosh rather than trading him for Bynum. Toronto is finally gelling and playing well. I dont see TO trading him

BRushWithDeath
01-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Toronto is going to be more inclined to re-sign Bosh rather than trading him for Bynum. Toronto is finally gelling and playing well. I dont see TO trading him

I don't see Bosh being inclined to accept another contract in Toronto.

vnzla81
01-10-2010, 07:09 PM
This deal does not make sence, Bosh is going to be asking big bucks and the Lakers are already over the cap

MillerTime
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't see Bosh being inclined to accept another contract in Toronto.
Why dont you? They're playing very well now. They're 5th in the East and the 3rd (or 4th) hottest team in the new year. There is a possibility that Bosh does not re-sign but there is also an argument that he would

This deal does not make sence, Bosh is going to be asking big bucks and the Lakers are already over the cap
If Bosh goes to the Lakers, the Lakers can re-sign him with the max deal and not worry about the cap because Bosh would be their player. With the revenue the Lakers are making, along with the championships, they're not concerned about the cap

vnzla81
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Why dont you? They're playing very well now. They're 5th in the East and the 3rd (or 4th) hottest team in the new year. There is a possibility that Bosh does not re-sign but there is also an argument that he would

If Bosh goes to the Lakers, the Lakers can re-sign him with the max deal and not worry about the cap because Bosh would be their player. With the revenue the Lakers are making, along with the championships, they're not concerned about the cap

Bosh is going to be asking close to 20mil a year that is to much even for a team like the Lakers, that is the reason why they did not wanted to pay Lamar Odom 10mil a year.

Kstat
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Chris Bosh is not Lamar Odom.

Trophy
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Chris Bosh is not Lamar Odom.

I want to get Odom on the Pacers. Who would they want?

d_c
01-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Granger.

Yeah, of course the Pacers would say no, but you were asking right? That's the only guy they would want.

MillerTime
01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Bosh is going to be asking close to 20mil a year that is to much even for a team like the Lakers, that is the reason why they did not wanted to pay Lamar Odom 10mil a year.

you cant compare Bosh and Odom

Bosh is probably a top 3 PF in the league (with respect to his value and youth)

Lance George
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Odom wont bring this team W's. He's Troy Murphy-like in that he can put up nice numbers but isn't going to be much of an impact as a top-2 guy. His stint with the Clippers comes to mind *shudder*.

d_c
01-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Odom wont bring this team W's. He's Troy Murphy-like in that he can put up nice numbers but isn't going to be much of an impact as a top-2 guy. His stint with the Clippers comes to mind *shudder*.

Both guys are role players of different caliber.

Murphy is a 3rd best player on a 36 win team.
Odom is a 3rd best player on a championship team.

I wouldn't rag on a guy because he couldn't singlehandidly turn the Clippers around. How many players have?

cordobes
01-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Bryan Colangelo doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of this trade.

Asked by e-mail about all of the above and whether the Raptors and Lakers have discussed a Bosh-Bynum proposal, team president Bryan Colangelo, who surely is being contacted on a daily basis regarding the availability of his franchise player — especially when the team was 11-17 — he replied in kind:

“For the record, I am not actively seeking a deal or discussing Bosh with any team, much less the Lakers".
Hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20100110#STORY_23566)

If I were him, I'd strongly consider this though. The certainty of Bynum trumps the uncertainty of Bosh. On the other hand, Bynum+Bargnani would be a nightmare defensively. Especially when you already have so much money committed to Calderon, Hedo and Jack in difficult to move contracts. But extending Bargnani's contract was his choice, so...