PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One Who Finds This Amazingly Funny...

jmoney2584
01-09-2010, 08:19 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100109/SPORTS04/1090352/1088/SPORTS04/Granger-returns-starts-for-Pacers

At the end of the article there is a section talking about...well, read it yourself. GOLD.

"Granger was shooting free throws at one end of the court after shootaround Friday morning when somebody mentioned Bird was on the other end of the court shooting.

Granger immediately turned his attention to the team president. Bird missed his first shot -- an 18-footer -- but then it was suddenly like he was still playing for the Boston Celtics.

Bird effortlessly made five straight jumpers that were nothing but net before he walked off the court saying, "I can still average 10 (points) and 10 (rebounds)," in front of the majority of his players, who also started watching him. What made his shooting display even more impressive is that it was only the second time since March that he shot a basketball.

"You just have to stop and watch when you see him shooting the ball because he makes it look so easy," Granger said. "His shot is so wet.""

The part where he talks about how he could still put up 10/10 is awesome. And then of course Danny being amazed by Bird's shot. I wonder if the Pacers felt bad about themselves after witnessing Bird light it up and then throw what is almost a challenge at them with "I could still put up 10/10." Like, "if I can do this, how about winning some ball games."

Maybe I just need to go to bed, but I love Bird's ego (confidence, whatever) and I wish we had a player on this team with his competitive level and ability to back it up.

Alabama-Redneck
01-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Pure talent and desire never gets old.

:cool:

AlexAustin
01-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Wow and I thought the only thing my GF and Larry Bird's shot had in common was that they both were easy to get off.

Brad8888
01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Wow and I thought the only thing my GF and Larry Bird's shot had in common was that they both were easy to get off.

Better not let her catch you posting that, or she will shut you down as swiftly and surely as Stern shut down the Pacers after the brawl.

pristinecollector
01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
So, is a return possible? Just kidding.

Kegboy
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
This probably isn't the place for this, but who cares.

As most of you know, I'm a card-carrying Bird hater. Grew up in a Spartan household, gave him a pass when he was coach, but I went right back to it when he waited until Zeke was out of the freakin' country to fire him.

That said, it's stuff like this that makes me think he should take over for Obie. Not that I ever thought he was a great coach (just go look at that Milwaukee series, where Karl, with a big assist from Majerus, had his way with us every time down the court.) But even if he just lets Harter and Burke do everything, it's not like whatever O'Brien is doing is what I would call "coaching". And the above is indicative of the swagger he can still bring.

This has been talked enough that we all know the financial pluses of this. The only question mark is his back, but I thought I'd heard a few years ago that it had cleared up.

This season is obviously lost. If Bird took over he would at least be taking ownership of this mess and use it as an opportunity to really evaluate the talent and character of our roster, which I'm sorry, you can't do from the stands. Then he could take the time to decide what direction he really wants this team to go, and hire a coach that fits that accordingly. And, again, maybe he can bring a positive mindset to the team that's obviously lacking.

Hicks
01-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I just pray one day we get a player with that combination of talent and swagger.

AesopRockOn
01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I think that every team in the league would want a top-5 player. ;)

Sollozzo
01-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I just pray one day we get a player with that combination of talent and swagger.

At least we have one playing across the street at Lucas Oil.

NapTonius Monk
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100109/SPORTS04/1090352/1088/SPORTS04/Granger-returns-starts-for-Pacers

Maybe I just need to go to bed, but I love Bird's ego (confidence, whatever) and I wish we had a player on this team with his talent.

FIXED

travmil
01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
In an NBA world that has seen the likes of MJ, Kobe, and LeBron do most of their damage since Bird retired, it's easy to forget just how good Bird really was. My brother tells a Funny story about Bird. Bird's old high school coach also coached my brother at Princeton and then later my other brothers and me at Terre Haute North. My brother was a senior in high school in 1981 and worked at Bird's basketball camp that year through his coach. During a pickup game with the staff Bird came down with an offensive rebound, and got literally quadruple teamed on his way to a putback layup. When he comes down he yells "Face, face, face, face!" while pointing to each of the four, my brother included, in succession. That's how competitive that guy is. This was a pickup game with high school kids and he was playing like it was game 7 of the NBA finals. In another pickup game my brother was on the bench. Bird jumps for a rebound and jams his finger on the rim and comes down holding it in obvious pain. His coach yells at him "Wilk, get in there for Bird!". So my brother is always telling everyone that he replaced Bird. Outside of being a great player, Bird had that competitive fire that amplified an already great level of talent into legendary territory. It's not as simple as finding a player to put up numbers similar to Bird. That can and in a few cases has been done. What you can't find is that extra stuff Bird brought, which is incredibly rare. Once or twice in a lifetime rare.