PDA

View Full Version : In Defens of Troy Murphy

Nateorade
01-09-2010, 12:54 AM
It seems like everyone on this forum dislikes troy murphy, i know his +/- is pretty horrendous and he is most certainly not the answer to pacers pf position but he is easily our 2nd best player.

While his 3pt shooting is down he is still the best 3pt shooter we have and when our offense involves so many threes it makes sense to have him on the court...i also bet that as the season goes up his 3pt percentage creeps up to 40+ and his fg percentage is 49 which is 2nd to mcroberts...

He is also our leading rebounder and while I know most people say his Defense sucks and I will admit he swipes at the ball half-heartedly, he is still getting rebounds more than any other player on the pacers can say...they cannot all be off missed freethrows...

His biggest weakness is his speed and lack of inside presence and i am sorry but j mcroberts is not the future pf of the pacers...and hansborough hasnt really shown that he can replace T Murph as of yet so i to say T Murph should sit so those guys can shine doesnt make since...how much potential do either of them really have?

First post guys...just my thoughts...looking forward to many more...
Cheers Go Pacers...one day being faithful through all these horrible years will pay off...

BornReady
01-09-2010, 01:04 AM
welcome to the board!
im going to have to respectfully disagree, though.

his rebounding is very overrated. they are a result of the other big's boxouts and creating space so that he can easily grab them. his rebound numbers are a very padded statistic.

his defense is so atrocious that it actually makes his offense completely negligible in that other bigs will easily have career nights (even greater offense than himself) and because of his lack of ability to do anything productive, will make his teammates have to foul them, making them a lot less effective in their aggressiveness.

you are correct in your assessment that he is a slug and doesnt know anything about playing in a post (sad for a 7 foot pf) but i would definitely take hansbrough as a starter over murphy. even if he cant hit 3s like murphy, indy has plenty of other options that are willing to spread the floor and hit 3s, and hansbroughs defense and energy is nothing short of amazing, especially with respect to murphy.

Granville Fleming
01-09-2010, 01:08 AM
"IN DEFENSE"

Thats funny,

he's terrible

Nateorade
01-09-2010, 01:13 AM
You are right...he plays defense pretty poorly but I think the defensive problems on the Pacers are much bigger than that. Hibbert lacks a defensive presence in my opinion he needs to be quicker around the basket. Dunleavy's D is pretty lazy, and the team D in general is just sloppy undisciplined and not scrappy.

When taking the team D problems into account and the fact that Murphy hits 3s more consistently than anyone else on the team Murphy is easily our 2nd best player. Until the team D improves and Murphy can be singled out as the reason for bad defense, I think it is silly not to take advantage of his point and rebounding production.

BornReady
01-09-2010, 03:00 AM
you are right, indianas defense is fairly poor, but im also sure you realize that murphys defense is far worse than the others in that it directly hinders them from being as effective because they have to compensate for his inability to do anything useful on the defensive end.
again, his rebounding is not as great as you think it is. its not like hes foster on offensive boards or anything.
live or die by the 3 pt shot. what kind of coach advocates that? (besides ours) why would we want to jack up so many 3s as opposed to trying to get an easier shot closer to the hoop? i think one of the main reasons we are so bad is because we rely so heavily on that, and even though murphy is a decent think about how limited and predictable our offense is because we stand beyond the arc and jack up 3s.

CableKC
01-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Right now....assuming that JO'B uses him....Hibbert is our 2nd best Player.

able
01-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Murphy's name and the word "defense" should NEVER be used in ONE sentence, NEVER!

His rebounding is laughable and all it does if I see him again is wondering if Austin's contract was that much of an albatros because compared to Murphy, he was on the cheap.

Kstat
01-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I was going to suggest the title of this thread be, "In efense of Troy Murphy."

sportfireman
01-09-2010, 10:52 AM

i'll drink to that:buddies:

Spirit
01-09-2010, 10:52 AM
In regards to his rebounding, has anyone but me noticed that he gets like 10+ before halftime and the rest of the game he coasts? and doesn't get more than 1-2 more?

Peck
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Murphy's name and the word "defense" should NEVER be used in ONE sentence, NEVER!

His rebounding is laughable and all it does if I see him again is wondering if Austin's contract was that much of an albatros because compared to Murphy, he was on the cheap.

Actually that's not quite true. Here let me show you.

"Troy Murphy is horrid at defense".

"The defense became absent once Troy Murphy entered the game".

"Troy Murphy is to defense as snake oil is to medicine".

:D

ksuttonjr76
01-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't dislike Murphy as a player. Personally, I don't care for a perimeter PF when it causes our promising young center to defend and control the paint by himself. IMHO, Hibbert is the 2nd best player on the team IF there's a "stay in the paint" PF with him. In order for Hibbert to be a 20 PPG, 12 RPG, and 2 BPG player, he needs to stay on the floor, and he can't do that when he's in foul trouble (of course, he's been better overall at staying out of trouble overall).

McKeyFan
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Good one.

In reality, the thread title says "Defens"

It's definitely lacking and incomplete.

QuickRelease
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
i would definitely take hansbrough as a starter over murphy. even if he cant hit 3s like murphy

Obrien: Just give me time. I'll have Hansbrough cranking threes yet!

http://www.hrcapitalist.com/images/2007/10/08/paulie_walnuts_3.jpg