PDA

View Full Version : Granger and Murphy to start tonite

diamonddave00
01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Mike Wells twittered both Troy Murphy and Danny Granger will start tonite vs Timberwolves

Shade
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Granger = :yay:

Murphy = :(

Unclebuck
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
This should be interesting. Murphy guarantees a loss, but Granger has to offset that at least a little bit, so which is more powerful, Danny's good or Troy's bad

Shade
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
It's Minnesota, so we'll likely win anyway.

MagicRat
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Say goodbye to the legendary "Won 2 of 3 Team".....:sad:

vnzla81
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
count for Murphy to let his guy run by him all night and get Hibbert in foul trouble, I hope the pacers are doing this to showcase Murphy to trade him before the trade deadline.

Unclebuck
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM

So Murphy only gets blamed for the losses and the wins are because the opponent is weak?

McKeyFan
01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
So Murphy only gets blamed for the losses and the wins are because the opponent is weak?

Wouldn't that be how you assess the five game win streak?

Mourning
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM

:uhoh:

KnicksRGarbage
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
And of course. I looked earlier and I don't think this game is on FSN tonight. Unless I'm completely wrong. But it's no surprise I won't be able to see Danny back. Bloody Comcast...

DGPR
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I thought Danny was probable within the next 2 weeks, isn't he coming back a little early?

Anthem
01-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Murphy = :(
That's not fair. I never want for a guy on my team to be hurt.

Besides, any trades will wait until the players are healthy.

McKeyFan
01-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Besides, any trades will wait until the players are healthy.

I think he's commenting on the starting part. Not the returning from injury part.

PacerDude
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Mr. Hibbert ............. say goodbye to your touches. 3PT attempts - they're going up.

Food for thought - last 5 games, here are the numbers. 1st one is 3's, 2nd one is Roy's shots. 30-10, 25-18, 24-14, 24-15, 16-19. The last one ?? Only Roy's career high against Orlando. A win. Let's see what the numbers are tonite.

Unclebuck
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM

See I think you have in at least in some ways completely misunderstood my thoughts on the five game win streak.

But to spare everyone, I won't poison this thread with that discussion.

KnicksRGarbage
01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
This is difficult for me. Because I do like Troy Murphy. He's a cool guy. But it's just the way our team plays when he's in the game so much. So in a sense I'm glad he's well again, I'm just not glad that there's a chance that we are going to go back to "Ol' Troy and JOB Basketball Diaries" style of play.

I definitely don't think any of us (truly) wish harm and pain upon Troy or any players on our team. We're just worried that the above statements will come to fruition. IMO even with our Brawl roster full of guys we wanted rid of, we didn't wish injury and suffering upon them.
Other than a swift kick to the rear out the door. :D

Unclebuck
01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I thought Danny was probable within the next 2 weeks, isn't he coming back a little early?

Wells in his article today said he was 2 weeks away.

Suaveness
01-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Wells in his article today said he was 2 weeks away.

Maybe he wrote the article 2 weeks ago and forgot to submit it until today?

PaceBalls
01-08-2010, 03:36 PM
This should be interesting. Murphy guarantees a loss, but Granger has to offset that at least a little bit, so which is more powerful, Danny's good or Troy's bad

He might not guarantee a loss vs Minny, but without Murph and with Danny playing that would be a guaranteed win...

I just wonder how many more losses it will take with Murph playing huge mins before Jim sees the light.

Hicks
01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Maybe he wrote the article 2 weeks ago and forgot to submit it until today?

No, that was the word from other sources as well.

Word is Danny's practiced without pain this week, and they wanted to hold him out for a while for conditioning purposes.

Apparently Danny has decided to hell with conditioning. I don't know.

Peck
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh well we were winning to much lately anyway. We still to close to the 8th seed for my taste.:rolleyes:

sportfireman
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
so i guess jim's going back to his old ways......... let's trade murph so we can play our young guys so we can win some games.:rolleyes:

Suaveness
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
No, that was the word from other sources as well.

Word is Danny's practiced without pain this week, and they wanted to hold him out for a while for conditioning purposes.

Apparently Danny has decided to hell with conditioning. I don't know.

Sorry that was my attempt at sarcasm

Should we make bets to see how long it'll take Danny to get his next injury due to coming back too early?

dohman
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
condition on the go.. if you can run 10 min then give us 10 min :) But that is only if you are healed.

I really hate the fact that murphy is playing. I love the guys game but I love hibberts more. Pairing the two together is just begging hibbert to foul out early. I would rather have hibberts 20 then murphys 12. Just my thought though.

Suaveness
01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Oh well we were winning to much lately anyway. We still to close to the 8th seed for my taste anyway.

Thank goodness for Murphy

pacerDU
01-08-2010, 03:43 PM
This seems strange because this article on NBA.com (uploaded last night), would indicate he won't play until next week...

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/07/pacers.granger.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Whenever he gets back I just hope he's 100%.

PacerDude
01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Message to Mr. Granger ............. imagine John Wall running the offense. Imagine him driving the lane (with an idea of what he's going to do, but I digress ..........), the defense respecting him, collapsing into the lane, he tosses a pass to the open man standing outside the 3PT line - YOU !! Rise, release ........... another 3 for Danny. Repeat.

Now, don't you think that foot needs a little more rest ??

Hicks
01-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Sorry that was my attempt at sarcasm

Green font seems to be catching on in these instances.

Hooray green sarcasm font!

McKeyFan
01-08-2010, 03:51 PM
See I think you have in at least in some ways completely misunderstood my thoughts on the five game win streak.

But to spare everyone, I won't poison this thread with that discussion.

It's not poison. It's medicine.

And it is completely relevant to a thread announcing that Murphy will now start, and the lineup that continually gives us wins will be discontinued again.

I have tried and tried to understand your thoughts on the five game win streak. I am still trying to figure them out.

Unclebuck
01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
It's not poison. It's medicine.

And it is completely relevant to a thread announcing that Murphy will now start, and the lineup that continually gives us wins will be discontinued again.

I have tried and tried to understand your thoughts on the five game win streak. I am still trying to figure them out.

My overall and general point on the 5 game winning streak and a lot of other discussions in this forum is there are not direct correlations between things. The idea that - Murphy plays we lose, or that we win if and when we play a certain style that we have played in 2 out of the last 3 games and 5 games in November - I just think that is way too simplistic and in many cases self-serving in order to make the point you want to make. There are dozens of variables in each and every game, it is never that simplistic.

I have attempted to point out other issues that might influence the wins and losses, like the schedule, the opponent, injuries to the opponent, the opponents schedule, the fact that the pacers hit 10 of 19 threes, the fact that they shot 95% from the free throw line, the fact that regardless of who was on the court for the pacers they played very well, they might have just been due for a good game. Certain players have career games against us, or certain pacers players have career games some nights. Luck plays a role, the refs play a role, I could go on and on and list several others factors.

Murphy is not the only factor, the 5 games played in November and the two played last week were 7 nice wins - is there a common thread with those games - I don't see any. The players have not been the same, the opponent has not been the same. They count in the standings as wins, can we learn anything from them. Sure, play hard, play together and you can win some games to the level your talent will allow

Within certain parameters there is a ton of randonness that determines if the pacers win or loset, and yet so many will point out only 1 variable and act like it is the only one and then draw IMO wrong conclusions from that 1 variable.

I often argue against this in the post game threads, when posters blame O'Brien or whoever the coach is for the loss as if that is the only variable.

The absolute worst team in the NBA typically wins 15-18 games per season.

If the pacers started Diener, Rush, Josh, Solo and Murphy tonight and won the game (I am just picking a random lineup) and then won the next game would you say well that is the winning lineup - the 2-0 record proves it. I would certainly hope not and I would argue against it

Since86
01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
This is the reason why I cannot stand JOb.

I'm certain Murphy has to have some kind of embarasssing photos or info on him. Jim can't be THIS blind/stubborn on his own. I refuse to believe it.

Putnam
01-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I just laughed my self silly.

I'm going to the ISO tonight, and I wondered whether there's a forum like this where people rant about the orchestra needing to pull in a really kick-a55 oboist who will fit in better with the conductor's style, and others who say it's not the conductor's fault if the program doesn't appeal to the modern audience, and some who run polls about which octogenarian coat-check lady is your favorite, and some remembering back when ISO performed at Clowes and you young guys just can't imagine what it was like back in the days when the brass section would get in fist fights between movements of Mahler's Fifth, and other saying symphonic music just hasn't been the same since YoYo Ma came along and made the cello into a headline instruments instead of the supporting instrument it ought to be, and other saying you're crazy, YoYo Ma has been great for classical music, and still others coming on about once a week saying they saw a really talented 13-year-old violinist at a performance over the weekend and what do you think the chances are that ISO could get her because it would really be awesome to see her on stage at the Hibbert Theater in a few years doing Flight of the Bumblebee, and then occasionally fans of the Boston Symphony Orchestra or the Detroit Orchestra come in and add their comments and insights while maintaining that ISO will never be able to hold a candle to their group, but then some members come back and say it's really a question of what key they're playing in, and how the key of E-flat major is really the best, and others come right back saying E-flat major is a garbage key and all you really have to do is listen to the music and not do all that analyzing . . . .

If I thought there was such a forum, I'd join it in a minute!

Brad8888
01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Granger and Murph playing to show they are healthy as opposed to getting in practice time to get their rhythm back?

Seems like either desperation, or to persuade teams that we have healthy players available to trade.

Brad8888
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM

You must have :D

Since86
Granger and Murph playing to show they are healthy as opposed to getting in practice time to get their rhythm back?

Seems like either desperation, or to persuade teams that we have healthy players available to trade.

No, it's just another contradiction between what JOb says and what actually happens.

CableKC
Although I won't be surprised if we go back to the way that we were before......can we ( at the very least ) give JO'B the benefit of the doubt and see what he does?

I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and ignore that Murphy is able to contribute in some fashion to the offense while discounting that the Team ( as a whole ) has a tendency to "stand around" when Granger gets the ball.....but I'm going to wait and see whether JO'B learned anything when they were out.

I'm like many of you and :pray: that JO'B recognizes that players like Head and McRoberts does deserve some minimal minutes on the floor and that he ( and the rest of the Team ) needs to figure out a way to get more touches to Hibbert inside the paint.

Although I won't hold my breath and will likely wait until the Post-Game thread to complain about JO'B.....but I'm not going to throw him under the bus when the bus hasn't even arrived yet.

Tyrion
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm going to the ISO tonight, and I wondered whether there's a forum like this where people rant about the orchestra needing to pull in a really kick-a55 oboist who will fit in better with the conductor's style, and others who say it's not the conductor's fault if the program doesn't appeal to the modern audience, and some who run polls about which octogenarian coat-check lady is your favorite, and some remembering back when ISO performed at Clowes and you young guys just can't imagine what it was like back in the days when the brass section would get in fist fights between movements of Mahler's Fifth, and other saying symphonic music just hasn't been the same since YoYo Ma came along and made the cello into a headline instruments instead of the supporting instrument it ought to be, and other saying you're crazy, YoYo Ma has been great for classical music, and still others coming on about once a week saying they saw a really talented 13-year-old violinist at a performance over the weekend and what do you think the chances are that ISO could get her because it would really be awesome to see her on stage at the Hibbert Theater in a few years doing Flight of the Bumblebee, and then occasionally fans of the Boston Symphony Orchestra or the Detroit Orchestra come in and add their comments and insights while maintaining that ISO will never be able to hold a candle to their group, but then some members come back and say it's really a question of what key they're playing in, and how the key of E-flat major is really the best, and others come right back saying E-flat major is a garbage key and all you really have to do is listen to the music and not do all that analyzing . . . .

If I thought there was such a forum, I'd join it in a minute!

http://csobassblog.blogspot.com/

This is about the Chicago Symphony though...not sure anyone in Indianapolis cares enough to gripe about things...It's a blog by one of the bass players but functions as a forum for exactly what you are talking about....pretty funny.

Cherokee
01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Maybe they're showcasing Granger for a T-Mac trade and Murphy for a Hickson trade.

OakMoses
01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Well, at least the Wolves don't have face up PF who can dreadfully exploit Murphy.

I will also recant my post saying that our training staff does in fact not let players play even when they want to.

Anthem
01-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Hooray green sarcasm font!
Love it! That's going into my playbook.

Brad8888
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
No, it's just another contradiction between what JOb says and what actually happens.

Well, alrighty then!

Maybe we can try shortening the rotation back to eight or so and give some of the young guys another opportunity to learn the game! Brilliant! Should have thought of this months ago!

Anthem
01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, at least the Wolves don't have face up PF who can dreadfully exploit Murphy.
Love is going to have a career high. Book it.

Brad8888
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm not going to throw him under the bus when the bus hasn't even arrived yet.

Always be prepared, you just never know when the bus is actually going to arrive!

BornReady
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
looks like mcbob will lose all his pt again

Alabama-Redneck
01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Pairing the two together is just begging hibbert to foul out early. I would rather have hibberts 20 then murphys 12. Just my thought though.

Excuse me but where did it say Hibbert was going to start or play at the same time as Murphy. DNP-CD :D :laugh: :-o

:cool:

Naptown_Seth
01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
The days off should have some impact too. I'd normally still expect a win

BTW, wait till you see my blog. Talk about bad timing. I jinxed it.

At least it gets McRoberts off the floor. I couldn't take much more 50% FG and defensive ability from the PF spot. Made me feel icky.

If only Wells' tweet was in green font.

CableKC
01-08-2010, 05:03 PM
looks like mcbob will lose all his pt again
Why would you be surprised at this?

I fully expected McRoberts to see a reduction in minutes when Murphy returns. The only real question is by how much. The only thing I will get irritated by is if McRoberts sees ZERO playing time when our entire Frontcourt is healthy ( especially whenever Hansbrough and Foster return ).

CableKC
01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
The days off should have some impact too. I'd normally still expect a win

BTW, wait till you see my blog. Talk about bad timing. I jinxed it.

At least it gets McRoberts off the floor. I couldn't take much more 50% FG and defensive ability from the PF spot. Made me feel icky.
"Wait til you see my blog" implies that you already have written some of it. Did you pull a Kravitz already and wrote most of it before the game? :laugh:

IUfan4life
01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
minnesota big men= al jefferson and kevin love, I doubt either is driving by troy murphy and getting roy into foul trouble.

and let's just not bring troy back at all and have the thinnest front court in the league.

sportfireman
01-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Why would you be surprised at this?

I fully expected McRoberts to see a reduction in minutes when Murphy returns. The only real question is by how much. The only thing I will get irritated by is if McRoberts sees ZERO playing time when our entire Frontcourt is healthy ( especially whenever Hansbrough and Foster return ).

well get ready for some major irritation

gummy
01-08-2010, 05:23 PM
My question is why throw them into the starting lineup right away?

Definitely confused about all these projections that Danny was still a little ways away. Oh well. I'll guess we'll see what happens.

MagicRat
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I just hope they don't revert back to just throwing it into JO and standing around watching..........:grumble:

Whoops. 2005 returning player ruins team chemistry flashback.......

PaceBalls
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm going to the ISO tonight

Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto... going to be awesome. I'd definately rather see that then the Indiana Murphys.

If Murphy played the cello, he would constantly mess up the bow hold balance, also playing too loud and stealing notes from other cellos. :p

PaceBalls
01-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I just hope they don't revert back to just throwing it into JO and standing around watching..........:grumble:

Whoops. 2005 returning player ruins team chemistry flashback.......

What I wouldn't give for some good ol' Slog ball now days.

Trader Joe
01-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Seriously if Hibbert goes back into his shell how can you not attribute that to Murphy's return? I mean, at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

imawhat
01-08-2010, 06:32 PM

If I thought there was such a forum, I'd join it in a minute!.

Literally, I've had countless debates about replacing Carol Kaye, Hal Blaine, Tommy Tedesco, etc. with standard session musicians.

I've had even more about replacing a 1966 Steinway & Sons Grand with a 2004 Kurzweil keyboard.

Quality is a universal quality.

Trophy
01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
It sucks that it's not going to be televised anywhere.

McKeyFan
01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
T

BTW, wait till you see my blog.

Where do we find it? Or can someone post a link when it appears?

purdue101
01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I hope we all enjoyed Hibberts 5 games of dominance. Murphy is sure to put an end to it, we'll likely lose, and either Jefferson or Love will have a career night.

I've lost all hope with this coach. If Bird isn't pulling some strings for trade showcasing, starting Murphy is just plain ####ing stupid. What a stubborn, poor excuse for an NBA coach.

owl
01-08-2010, 07:45 PM
We do not allow asking for or providing links to streaming videos of games.

odeez
01-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Welcome back Danny & Troy!

Brad8888
01-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about
Well, the names have all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they've turned around
Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (back here where we need ya)
Yeah, we tease them a lot 'cause we've got them on the spot
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back

pwee31
01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about
Well, the names have all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they've turned around
Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (back here where we need ya)
Yeah, we tease them a lot 'cause we've got them on the spot

Is Jim O'brien Kotter?

Murphy= Vinny?

Hansbrough= Horshack

Granger has to be Boom Boom right?

Anthem
01-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Love is going to have a career high. Book it.
Well, I was wrong. He only went for 18 and 13. No career high after all.

BlueNGold
01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Well, I was wrong. He only went for 18 and 13. No career high after all.

He made a lot of key plays...and the late defensive board with no Pacer fighting for an offensive board might have won the game.

Y'all know it's tough to get an offensive board when you're beyond the 3 point line.

wintermute
01-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Where do we find it? Or can someone post a link when it appears?

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2010/01/naptown_seth_gu.html

btw, good work seth :)

bellisimo
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM

guess not :(

Shade
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM

I guess I spoke too soon. We can't even beat weak opponents with Murphy.

sportfireman
01-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I guess I spoke too soon. We can't even beat weak opponents with Murphy.
:laugh:

Putnam
01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto... going to be awesome. I'd definately rather see that then the Indiana Murphys.

Very good. The Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet even more stirring. But for for general consumption, I probably should share this:

Before the concert began the principal oboist was explaining to the early audience how the orchestra tunes to his instrument, and how the woodwinds fine tune their pitch by making slight adjustment to the way pieces of their instrument fit together. He described how they make those adjustments, but he had the poor judgment to describe the conductor listening to each player in turn and saying,

"Push in,"
"Pull out,"
"Push in,"
"Pull out."

:eek:

The associate conductor who was doing the pre-concert interview was speechless for about 10 seconds. I couldn't look at my daughter, but none of the old ladies in the audience seems to have heard it.

So, yeah, I think I was well entertained on Friday night.

Hicks
01-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Can we trade 09-10 Danny for 08-09 Danny?

PaceBalls
01-09-2010, 11:38 PM
This is what the old Danny does when he is injured and the shot isn't falling, he gets sloppy, late getting to Durant all night. He got to the line a whole bunch at least.