PDA

View Full Version : Granger nears return - USA Today

Hicks
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-01-07-177633321_x.htm

He practiced today and yesterday, no pain afterward. Sounds like he'll be back next week if things stay as they are. That's just my opinion.

duke dynamite
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
And before anyone else says it, yes, he will be 100% according to doctors and the training staff when he comes back.

vnzla81
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
bye bye Jhon Wall.........:cry:

Shade
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
But will he be back to 100% befo...

And before anyone else says it, yes, he will be 100% according to doctors and the training staff when he comes back.

...alrighty then. :)

Shade
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
bye bye Jhon Wall.........:cry:

We could finish 11-71 and still miss out on Wall.

We'll probably still get a Top 5 pick even with Danny.

duke dynamite
01-07-2010, 07:42 PM

No matter what we do there will be more than one team that is worse than we are. We will not get #1. I'm sorry you guys.

pacergod2
01-07-2010, 07:59 PM
As long as we are top ten this year and our young guys get the bulk of the minutes I will be happy. Hell I will be happy if we aren't top ten as long as the young guys get the bulk of the minutes. I would like to see us get an elite PF/C prospect though. That guy from Seattle U is going to sky rocket up the draft boards.

pacerDU
01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
You guys do realize that the worst team (record-wise) rarely gets the first pick right?

I can remember two times off the top of my head where one of the best teams not to make the playoffs got #1. The Magic with Webber (who they flipped for Penny) and then recently the Bulls getting Rose with the #1.

mildlysane
01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
You guys do realize that the worst team (record-wise) rarely gets the first pick right?

I can remember two times off the top of my head where one of the best teams not to make the playoffs got #1. The Magic with Webber (who they flipped for Penny) and then recently the Bulls getting Rose with the #1.
Don't forget Patrick Ewing and the frozen envelope.

Will Galen
01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
No matter what we do there will be more than one team that is worse than we are. We will not get #1. I'm sorry you guys.

Chicago was #9 or 10 and got Rose. It happens.

duke dynamite
01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Chicago was #9 or 10 and got Rose. It happens.
That was that one rare occasion when all the planets are alligned. It happens like once in a billion years.

Shade
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
That was that one rare occasion when all the planets are alligned. It happens like once in a billion years.

It happens more frequently than that. ;)

I think the point was that the team with the worst record most times does not get the #1 pick. If we finish Top 5, we've got a decent shot at Wall.

duke dynamite
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
It happens more frequently than that. ;)

I think the point was that the team with the worst record most times does not get the #1 pick. If we finish Top 5, we've got a decent shot at Wall.
http://www.nba.com/history/lottery_probabilities.html

Not that much. And we won't have a shot.

duke dynamite
01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

d_c
01-07-2010, 08:40 PM

In the long run, the worst team won't get the first pick 75% of the time.

But the worst team still has the best chance out of any other team in the lottery. It's a mathematical fact.

DaveP63
01-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Part of me says "Please God, Noooo"

pwee31
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Perhaps I'm crazy, but I'm happy to hear Danny close to returning. At the very least, it'll help with evaluation. Hopefully everyone returns healthy so we can stop hearing excuses and see what we have as team... even if a lot of us are pretty sure of that answer

duke dynamite
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Part of me says "Please God, Noooo"
Why? He is the best player on this team and very fun to watch. I don't see why you think that Danny's return could hurt our draft position..

It will take more than just Granger to bring us back into contention.

sportfireman
01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
i want him back for a few reasons:

1. jim can stop with the excuses of not having our star player........

2. i would love to see what our team really can be........waiting on that starting lineup of....
price
rush
granger
hansbrough
hibbert

3. hopefully get dunleavy out of the starting lineup. bring him in with the second unit.

4. hopefully we can start winning games consistently.....

5. i just like granger.................
HEEEEE'SSSS GGGGRRRRREEEAAATTTTT!!!! (tony the tiger voice):laugh:

BobbyMac
01-07-2010, 10:35 PM

If we get Wall will he help us as much as Oden has helped the Blazers?

Naptown_Seth
01-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Price, Rush, Granger, McRoberts, Hibbert, all 25-30 mpg. I buy season tickets, first 6 rows, midcourt. That's what 2nd mortgages are for.

Make it happen Pacers. ;)

Anthem
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
:laugh: Nice.

Regardless, my favorite thing about this story (or perhaps I should say my "favorite" thing) is that it's a major story on a major local issue and it's broken by a national newspaper.

How many times has that happened in the past ten years? Seems like a lot.

vnzla81
01-07-2010, 10:59 PM

No, he will help the pacers the same way Derrick Rose is helping the Bulls and the same way that Lebron is helping Cleveland(no comparing wall to Lebron, just saying that he could have a big impact here)

pwee31
01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
No, he will help the pacers the same way Derrick Rose is helping the Bulls and the same way that Lebron is helping Cleveland(no comparing wall to Lebron, just saying that he could have a big impact here)

Could be wrong, but I think he's just trying to say that getting the #1 pick doesn't guarantee anything. Portland landed #1 and Oden has been hurt the majority of the time. Even Blake Griffin hasn't played a regular season game for the Clippers yet.

Not saying Wall or any other draft pick will get hurt, but it's always a possibility they could get injured, or be a bust.

ilive4sports
01-07-2010, 11:25 PM

And just how are you so sure of that? Wall is not a sure thing. Wall might not even enter the draft this year. Wall could get hurt in Kentucky's next game and his career could be over. Hoping we have a worse record just for a draft pick is just a bad idea.

I think Danny coming back and playing with our young guys is much more important than hoping for John Wall. I think he is a hell of a player, but you know what, so is Danny Granger. Let's see how these guys mesh together, win some games, try to bring the fans back by being competitive at least.

vnzla81
01-08-2010, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=ilive4sports;940730]And just how are you so sure of that? Wall is not a sure thing. Wall might not even enter the draft this year. Wall could get hurt in Kentucky's next game and his career could be over. Hoping we have a worse record just for a draft pick is just a bad idea.QUOTE]

nothing is a sure thing, the only sure thing this year is that the pacers are a really bad team with Danny or without him and that they need to get lucky in the draft and if is possible draft a franchise player.

duke dynamite
01-08-2010, 12:13 AM
[quote=ilive4sports;940730]And just how are you so sure of that? Wall is not a sure thing. Wall might not even enter the draft this year. Wall could get hurt in Kentucky's next game and his career could be over. Hoping we have a worse record just for a draft pick is just a bad idea.QUOTE]

nothing is a sure thing, the only sure thing this year is that the pacers are a really bad team with Danny or without him and that they need to get lucky in the draft and if is possible draft a franchise player.
I like our chances better in free agency, actually. Even that is a reach too.

Will Galen
01-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Perhaps I'm crazy, but I'm happy to hear Danny close to returning. At the very least, it'll help with evaluation. Hopefully everyone returns healthy so we can stop hearing excuses and see what we have as team... even if a lot of us are pretty sure of that answer

NBA teams play to hard for teams to be totally healthy anymore. Hopefully we get our key players healthy!

vnzla81
01-08-2010, 12:22 AM
[quote=vnzla81;940744]
I like our chances better in free agency, actually. Even that is a reach too.

can you explain to me how this could happen? what players want to come here? are you going to overpay like Detroit, should the pacers get another low draft pick(10,11,12?) trust me I don't want to argue but my issue is that if you remember we had the same discussion last year and as you can see nothing has changed.

duke dynamite
01-08-2010, 12:31 AM
[quote=duke dynamite;940745]

can you explain to me how this could happen? what players want to come here? are you going to overpay like Detroit, should the pacers get another low draft pick(10,11,12?) trust me I don't want to argue but my issue is that if you remember we had the same discussion last year and as you can see nothing has changed.
I understand that, but I just don't think that the draft will fall in our favor. I'm also not banking on a low pick, and like I said I don't think we will be sucessfull in the FA market. But I feel we'd be more successful there.

I'd rather us work on trading our way out of this mess, unfortunately that looks extremely difficult as well. Heck, if we get something worthy out of it, why not trade our draft pick for established players.

I've never put too much value on the draft, but of course almost every player comes from it, but yeah.

ilive4sports
01-08-2010, 02:20 AM
You play to win the game, not "win" the draft. Thats my stance, always has been, always will be. I'd be very upset with the team if they just shut down and hoped for John Wall. You said it yourself, we are going to be bad with or without Granger which means we will get a good pick no matter what. Let's at least be competitive on a nightly basis instead of seeing games like the ones against Miami and the Knicks.

Will Galen
01-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Let's at least be competitive on a nightly basis instead of seeing games like the ones against Miami and the Knicks.

The thing is we weren't tanking when we lost to Miami and New York, so games like those are still likely to happen.

My take is I root for the Pacers to win, sometimes even getting mad about the reffing or whatnot, but this year I don't want them to play themselves out of a good lottery pick, so I'm sort of glad when they lose. Does that make sense?

ilive4sports
01-08-2010, 05:02 AM
The thing is we weren't tanking when we lost to Miami and New York, so games like those are still likely to happen.

My take is I root for the Pacers to win, sometimes even getting mad about the reffing or whatnot, but this year I don't want them to play themselves out of a good lottery pick, so I'm sort of glad when they lose. Does that make sense?

I was more directing this at the people who are disappointed Granger is coming back cause they rather we just lose. I understand we weren't trying to lose, but we were missing our best player and others(but may be better off without the others). If Granger played in those games, we would not have been blown out nearly as bad. If he were out longer, we could expect a lot more games like that.

I will never be any sort of glad when any of my teams lose, even if its the difference in the 1st and 2nd pick in the draft. I am a competitive person and hate when I lose or my teams lose. I'd much rather this team win, no matter what. This losing sucks and if we kept our best player on the shelf longer than we needed too I would be furious and its unfair to the team and more importantly the fans.

BKK
01-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Could be wrong, but I think he's just trying to say that getting the #1 pick doesn't guarantee anything. Portland landed #1 and Oden has been hurt the majority of the time. Even Blake Griffin hasn't played a regular season game for the Clippers yet.

Not saying Wall or any other draft pick will get hurt, but it's always a possibility they could get injured, or be a bust.

and we're not even talking of the #1 picks who have been total dudes for their teams... Olowokandi, Kwame etc... not saying Wall will fall in that category but you never know.

MagicRat
01-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Saw Danny interviewed on the news last night. He said he keeps telling the training staff he's playing the next game and they say, "No, you're not."

Showed a clip of practice. Seemed like he was moving fine in the brief clip.

Tyler was practicing also.

OakMoses
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Saw Danny interviewed on the news last night. He said he keeps telling the training staff he's playing the next game and they say, "No, you're not."

Showed a clip of practice. Seemed like he was moving fine in the brief clip.

Tyler was practicing also.

That seems to shoot a hole in the idea that our training staff never tells players they can't play.

It's also nice to know that Danny has obviously not given up on anything including the coach. If he had, there's no way he'd be trying to rush back.

Unclebuck
01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Wells said in his article this morning that Danny should be back in about two weeks

jhondog28
01-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Ok for the sake of argument lets say New Jersey gets the number one pick. They already have Devin Harris, would they be open for a trade either for the pick or for Devin Harris. I am sure they wont deal the pick, but maybe they would be willing to part with Devin Harris who I feel is a top 10 PG. Would they possibly look at maybe Foster, Diener and our pick for Devin Harris and their second rounder.

count55
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
http://twitter.com/Wells222/status/7527091712

granger to return to the lineup tonight against the timberwolves

Hicks
01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
http://twitter.com/Wells222/status/7527091712

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ad3Hzsy1-20&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ad3Hzsy1-20&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

duke dynamite
01-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Wells said he is starting, too. Along with Murphy.

vnzla81
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Wells said he is starting, too. Along with Murphy.

really...:confused: and with Murphy starting also?:confused:

Dr. Awesome
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Why? He is the best player on this team and very fun to watch. I don't see why you think that Danny's return could hurt our draft position..

It will take more than just Granger to bring us back into contention.

For me its not just about draft position(although that is a factor too), its that all our young guys have really been stepping up lately(Rush, Hibbert, and Price) and now its all gone. O'Brien will give it to Hibbert to start the game, then he won't touch it the rest of the game, Brandon Rush will hide in Granger's shadow, and something tells me Price will just get screwed over because O'Brien has the power to do it.

Granger is my favorite player, but I enjoyed all our young guys taking the lead.

Shade
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok for the sake of argument lets say New Jersey gets the number one pick. They already have Devin Harris, would they be open for a trade either for the pick or for Devin Harris. I am sure they wont deal the pick, but maybe they would be willing to part with Devin Harris who I feel is a top 10 PG. Would they possibly look at maybe Foster, Diener and our pick for Devin Harris and their second rounder.

This is a very good point.

Maybe, if they feel Wall is the long-term answer, we could snag Harris for Ford? That would give them another PG that's also an expiring contract.

That would be a fantastic consolation prize.

Dr. Awesome
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM

I've actually talked to a few Nets fans about this, and if we get the 5th or 6th pick, they would be up for a deal around one of our expirings and the pick for Harris.

count55
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
This is a very good point.

Maybe, if they feel Wall is the long-term answer, we could snag Harris for Ford? That would give them another PG that's also an expiring contract.

That would be a fantastic consolation prize.

Actually, the best scenario might be NY winning the lottery, and Utah ending up with the #1. It's unlikely that they'd have interest in Wall, and if we were high enough, we might be able to swap up.

But even something like that's a 1-in-a-very-high-number chance.

OakMoses
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Actually, the best scenario might be NY winning the lottery, and Utah ending up with the #1. It's unlikely that they'd have interest in Wall, and if we were high enough, we might be able to swap up.

But even something like that's a 1-in-a-very-high-number chance.

Especially since NY is making the playoffs.

count55
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Especially since NY is making the playoffs.

details, de-****ing-tails.

jhondog28
01-08-2010, 10:28 PM
wait holy **** i made a good point. thanks shade! I have never done that before. Man I guess the blind acorn saying must be true.

JB24
01-09-2010, 02:53 AM

Really? I don't have strength of schedules in front of me, but i'm willing to bet that we've played one of, if not the most favourable schedule in the east. We're crap and it's only going to get worse unfortunately, with or without granger. Don't see how one of the 5 worst records is out of the question, which puts us in a good spot come May.