PDA

View Full Version : Is it really an ear infection?

Anthem
01-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Tyler hasn't played in a week, and isn't even traveling with the team to attend tonight's game in New York. He hasn't been on the bench. Supposedly, he's out with an ear infection.

Isn't this a bit much for an ear infection? Will the story change? Has this been covered at all by local/national media, or has it been missed so far? Anybody got contacts or heard any reputable rumors?

I'm just curious. I don't remember the last time a player missed this many games for an "injury" that seems so minor.

BRushWithDeath
01-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't think there is any conspiracy here.

Bball
01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Isn't there an issue with flying with an ear infection (due to pressure)?

Sookie
01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
It's an inner ear infection. If it's really bad, he probably has really poor balance.

Jon Theodore
01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Hansbrough is not Tinsley, it is really an ear infection.

jhondog28
They said last night during the game that Hans cannot fly due to the ear infection that is why he is not playing tonight. No conspiracy.

Kemo
It is apparent , you have never had a really bad ear infection then...

otherwise you wouldn't be asking this..

Once diagnosed and taking the proper antibiotics, it can take a week or 2 to fully get feeling better and have it under control..
Sometimes the ear can STILL be draining up to 3 weeks or more depending on the type and severity ..

And yes, it affects balance BIGTIME.. and there is NO WAY IN HECK one should ever fly in an airplane with an ear infection..

sportfireman
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Hansbrough is not Tinsley, it is really an ear infection.

nice observation......tyler is a 6'9 white guy and jamaal is a 6'2 black guy....:)

Will Galen
01-03-2010, 04:30 PM
[quote=Anthem;938034]

Isn't this a bit much for an ear infection?

No! I had an ear infection burst my eardrum.

I'm just curious. I don't remember the last time a player missed this many games for an "injury" that seems so minor.

Believe me, it's not minor!

imawhat
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
It's already been said, but inner ear infections can really knock you out; I've had one. And if you have one that affects your equilibrium, you're completely out of commission.

I had a flashback of Tyler attempting to put a contact in his eye directly after picking it up from the court a few games ago.

Peck
01-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I know people who have had inner ear infections that have lasted up to two weeks and had to be hospitalized because of it.

It's kind of like the flu in that some people get it worse than others.

count55
01-03-2010, 04:35 PM
It's just a headache.

McKeyFan
01-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Tyler hasn't played in a week, and isn't even traveling with the team to attend tonight's game in New York. He hasn't been on the bench. Supposedly, he's out with an ear infection.

Isn't this a bit much for an ear infection? Will the story change? Has this been covered at all by local/national media, or has it been missed so far? Anybody got contacts or heard any reputable rumors?

Well, props to you for just being willing to ask the question.

Tyler's personality doesn't fit the profile here, however.

I got an ear infection once at the beginning of a 7 day lake trip. Seven days later I got out of the bed. It was beyond agony.

Will Galen
01-03-2010, 04:38 PM
It's just a headache.

Good one!

For those who don't know he's not being serious, it's an inside joke. We had one guy on here say a concussion was just a headache.

Hicks
01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
It's just a headache.

You might save yourself from one if you put that in green.

Kemo
01-03-2010, 05:04 PM

lol for some reason I am getting flashbacks of the " concussion" debacle ...:D

edited to add: just read .. someone beat me to it .. heheh

Roaming Gnome
01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
It would be even more fun if the poster that mentioned, "a concussion is just a bad headache" was around to see this... :devil:

Anthem
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
It's just a headache.
:laugh: Ok, fair enough.

I guess my question was more along the lines of "Isn't an ear infection pretty treatable?" I mean I know we're trying to go easy on the antibacterials to prevent superbug outbreaks, but I thought we were pretty good at dealing with infections these days. It wasn't meant to be an attack on Tyler's manliness or pain tolerance.

It's just that I've reached the point where I'll never again believe the Pacers' public announcements as to player injuries.

Well, Tyler, I hope your ear infection clears up soon!

speakout4
01-03-2010, 05:46 PM

I guess my question was more along the lines of "Isn't an ear infection pretty treatable?" I mean I know we're trying to go easy on the antibacterials to prevent superbug outbreaks, but I thought we were pretty good at dealing with infections these days. It wasn't meant to be an attack on Tyler's manliness or pain tolerance.

It's just that I've reached the point where I'll never again believe the Pacers' public announcements as to player injuries.

Ear infections can do lots of damage and the superbugs are making a strong comeback. They're like the Taliban in that respect.

I also don't believe the Pacer announcements as to player injuries. If you listen to Pacer announcements three starters this season would be Bender, Tinsley, and O'Neal.

BRushWithDeath
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
It would be even more fun if the poster that mentioned, "a concussion is just a bad headache" was around to see this... :devil:

Why isn't he? I expected him to be going nuts after basically everything he's said about McRoberts has come to be proven.

Thesterovic
01-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Wetbob? He got banned.

BRushWithDeath
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Wetbob? He got banned.

What for?

Thesterovic
01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I have no clue. Always thought his opinions were interesting, and really understood things from a good perspective.

Hicks
01-03-2010, 06:15 PM
He got a month for going out of his way to insult another member privately. I don't tolerate that.

count55
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM

From my background, I've had problems with ear infections to the point that I was unable to drive for a few days.

I was also unfortunate enough to have one flare up when I was in Houston on business, and had to fly with it. It was an extremely painful experience.

BRushWithDeath
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
He got a month for going out of his way to insult another member privately. I don't tolerate that.

Too bad. I'd like to see the continuation of his battles with duke dynamite now that Wetbob has been proven to be far closer to right.

Hicks
01-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Battles?

BRushWithDeath
01-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Battles?

They seemed to be going back on forth about McRoberts the last couple weeks.

Wetbob would make a point about something then duke would come back with some sort of silly gif or smilie in place of an actual rebuttal. Quite entertaining.

Thesterovic
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Too bad. I'd like to see the continuation of his battles with duke dynamite now that Wetbob has been proven to be far closer to right.

:laugh: Hope he can do something resembling containing Lee.

jhondog28
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Dont **** with da Dukie!

BRushWithDeath
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
:laugh: Hope he can do something resembling containing Lee.

I don't have high hopes. Lee is really good. And I've got to think McRoberts is exhausted.

Thesterovic
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't have high hopes. Lee is really good. And I've got to think McRoberts is exhausted.

Always thought of Lee as some guy that got his points off ***** layups and easy baskets. Then he met the Pacers.

BRushWithDeath
01-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Always thought of Lee as some guy that got his points off ***** layups and easy baskets. Then he met the Pacers.

Regardless, he won't look as good against an exhausted McRoberts as he would against Murphy at full strength.

TMJ31
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM

They said that he was out because of Vertigo on the game last night.

I can speak from personal (and recent) experience... That if he truly has "water behind the ear", or Vertigo-- there is no way he is playing in a basketball game until it clears itself.

I was in the middle of a musical production of Evita when I came down with Vertigo-- I was barely able to attend rehearsals for the next week, and I was strictly FORBIDDEN from walking on any set pieces that had any elevation whatsoever.

If he really does have Vertigo, I feel for him and hope it clears itself soon!

Hicks
01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I think the infection has spread to the rest of the roster.

duke dynamite
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I think the infection has spread to the rest of the roster.
Brain infection?

Hoop
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
They said that he was out because of Vertigo on the game last night.

I can speak from personal (and recent) experience... That if he truly has "water behind the ear", or Vertigo-- there is no way he is playing in a basketball game until it clears itself.

I was in the middle of a musical production of Evita when I came down with Vertigo-- I was barely able to attend rehearsals for the next week, and I was strictly FORBIDDEN from walking on any set pieces that had any elevation whatsoever.

If he really does have Vertigo, I feel for him and hope it clears itself soon!
I had vertigo a few years ago, it wasn't very fun. Any sudden head movement and I'd just about fall over, the whole world felt like it was spinning. I thought I was having a stroke or something when it first happened.

A medication called Meclizine or Antivert helped a ton, but I still had to really watch what I was doing. I could still drive my regular vehicle, but I couldn't drive my drag car cause it made me so sick and dizzy I felt like I was going to puke.

Anything that requires good balance is just about out of the question with vertigo.

Naptown_Seth
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I appreciate the candor and I hope others do as well. I hate when forums just hush things away, makes it seem sinister. We all should share the goal of playing nice (relatively) with each other. I've got a tough skin so I can take it and tend to dish it, as long as it's legit debate and doesn't get personal. Any insult or attack you wouldn't do in public definitely wouldn't belong in a PM.

Let's face it, a forum like this gets return offenders and other varieties of trolling/intentional disruption. A lot of us talk in person and these types would never show up and talk that way to someone's face.*

*I think both Count and I and BillS and I have had a few pretty healthy live debates. I think next time I'll leave a burning bag of "PM" on their porch instead.
:D

Naptown_Seth
01-03-2010, 11:17 PM
To defend Anthem, though it's been pretty reasonable anyway, I wondered the exact same thing and went to Google right away to find out more details about severity and treatment.

Let's face it, the team has earned it. They've got a clear history of mysterious and lingering injuries. Even this year when Tyler was healthy at tryouts, healthy for a few summer games, then 2-3 months later was shut totally down with shin splints that were said to be lingering since about NOV of 08.

It was a "where did that come from" moment for certain. So now a lot of us are skittish when it comes to injury reports.

The answers I found online and that we had here explain the issue well and make it clear why it knocked him on his butt.

Sadly even with the vertigo he might have been one of the more productive players tonight vs the Knicks. ;)

duke dynamite
01-04-2010, 12:20 AM
They seemed to be going back on forth about McRoberts the last couple weeks.

Wetbob would make a point about something then duke would come back with some sort of silly gif or smilie in place of an actual rebuttal. Quite entertaining.
Excuse me, but I highly doubt that. Just to clear the air I have always come back against him with a viable statement or claim on how I felt when it came to McRoberts. Yes, I have used images and smilies in many of my posts but none between us in that particular discussion.

Someone made a comment in the Troy Murphy thread about Fraggle Rock, and I made a joke about it. Apparently that makes every single post I've made since joining less resonable than the next.

ToasterBusVIP
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM

Isn't this a bit much for an ear infection?

Oh not at all. I recently had the beginnings of an ear infection thanks to a persistent sinus problem, and I flew, not knowing what I was getting into. Once the plane started to descend and the pressure increased, I was about to claw my way out through the window to make the pain go away. After we landed, I couldn't hear out of that ear for several days and I was still having problems with it a month later.

Unless he's going to take a charter bus to a game, I wouldn't expect him to be with the team while it remains a problem.

Los Angeles
01-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Excuse me, but I highly doubt that. Just to clear the air I have always come back against him with a viable statement or claim on how I felt when it came to McRoberts. Yes, I have used images and smilies in many of my posts but none between us in that particular discussion.

Someone made a comment in the Troy Murphy thread about Fraggle Rock, and I made a joke about it. Apparently that makes every single post I've made since joining less resonable than the next.

There's nothing wrong with writing pithy, unreasonable posts with or without pictures.

It's the only game I've got.

duke dynamite
01-04-2010, 12:33 AM
There's nothing wrong with writing pithy, unreasonable posts with or without pictures.

It's the only game I've got.
It happens.

Major Cold
01-04-2010, 08:24 AM
We all should share the goal of playing nice (relatively) with each other.

My mommy told me to stay away from you.

Kid Minneapolis
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Inner ear problems suck...

I have constant inner ear problems, major balance issues... recurring. I don't really know why I still have recurring problems, but... it started in my early 20s when I got an inner ear infection... I was violently dizzy for weeks, if not months. The doc told me it was viral, so there was nothing I could take for it, just had to fight it off, and it causes permanent ear damage. I lost 70% of my hearing in that ear. Your balance is permanently affected, too, and only "goes away" because your brain re-calibrates itselfs to compensate for the loss.

Once every 3-4 months, I get dizzy again for a few days. It sucks. I can completely understand why he's been out for a week... some times my dizziness is so bad I can't even stand up.

I'll say this too... I used to have a huge bass system in my vehicle for 5 years, and I listened to music at ridiculously loud levels, you could hear my bass from a mile away. I tend to believe *that* had a major impact on my ears, lol... wish I had known then what I know now. I woulda turned the music down.

BillS
01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
*I think both Count and I and BillS and I have had a few pretty healthy live debates. I think next time I'll leave a burning bag of "PM" on their porch instead.

I'll counter with the classic "Is your refrigerator running" midnight PM.

Anthem
03-04-2010, 11:15 PM
:bump:

Wish I'd put money on it.

PaceBalls
03-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I had vertigo a few years ago, it wasn't very fun. Any sudden head movement and I'd just about fall over, the whole world felt like it was spinning. I thought I was having a stroke or something when it first happened.

A medication called Meclizine or Antivert helped a ton, but I still had to really watch what I was doing. I could still drive my regular vehicle, but I couldn't drive my drag car cause it made me so sick and dizzy I felt like I was going to puke.

Anything that requires good balance is just about out of the question with vertigo.

Yeah man. Good balance is about everything in daily life. Driving, walking, even sitting up straight.

I work with this lady who has serious vertigo probs, and she was telling me she would have times where she couldn't even stand up and walk to her bed. She can't fly in airplanes without taking a bunch of dramamine. She has some meds for it it, but it still gets to her on airplanes. Imagine how it is trying to play a physical basketball game, let alone the many flights the NBA guys take.

Is Tyler even traveling with the team right now? That would certainly explain why if he is not.

BRushWithDeath
03-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't think there is any conspiracy here.

I was as wrong about this as AlexAustin is about McRoberts.

McKeyFan
03-05-2010, 12:15 AM
:bump:

Wish I'd put money on it.

Please, O Wise One. Tell us how much longer JOB will be here.

:pray:

Brad8888
03-05-2010, 09:37 AM

No sweat. I GOT THIS!

His coaching is like a nearly perpetual series of cruise ship quality jokes, right?

JOB will be here ALL WEEK! :cool:

Justin Tyme
03-05-2010, 10:06 AM

I sure hope it's not for another 103 games! 21 games I can handle, but 103 would be absolute torture and push my being a Pacer fan to the absolute limit.

Anthem
03-05-2010, 12:33 PM

At the end of the season, Bird's going to say that they're going to let Obie play out the contract because he had so much bad luck with injuries this year.

We'll go all summer screaming about that fact, but just before training camp starts the Pacers will come to grips with the fact that none of the season ticket holders are going to renew and that all of the players are begging to be traded, and TPTB will change their mind and fire Obie.

Naptown_Seth
03-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Anthem, I strongly suspect the exact same timeline. You can see it coming a mile away.

Larry just can't sell us the injury thing when Josh, AJ and Roy haven't been injured, or when Rush has played but been trashed out half the year by the team despite being one of their leading 3P% guys.

Can you imagine someone wondering about Reggie "wandering through life" when he was only taking 11-12 shots and hitting 38% from 3 with a MUCH worse defense than Brandon?

Plus any reasonable fan looks across the country to Portland and wonders why their injuries haven't kept them out of the much tougher West playoffs.

And on Tyler, NO ONE wishes he was healthy this year more than me. After all, if you think it's bad that Larry has a JOB W-L excuse, how do you think I feel having to face the "Tyler would have been great but..." crowd.

I'd rather have Tyler proving me outright wrong than put up with the "if" gang for another year or two.

But like Anthem, I'm pretty worried about this situation. I don't think it's harmless or temporary for sure in the least.

Anthem
03-05-2010, 01:37 PM
But like Anthem, I'm pretty worried about this situation. I don't think it's harmless or temporary for sure in the least.
It's really a worst possible scenario, because instead of getting a clean start at the end of the season, the team will have that spectre hanging over them the entire time. Even if Obie's gone by the first game (and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the 10-11 season), the damage will have been done psychologically (to the players and the fanbase) and, let's face it, monetarily. Unless you draft John Wall, you WILL NOT be able to sell tickets if Obie's still around.

EDIT: When you add in the fact that our summer trades are unlikely to make us a better basketball team (due to us needing to get under the tax), next season does not look rosy. What's funny is that if we'd have given Murphy away and fired Obie after the ASB, next season would look pretty exciting. Maybe not in terms of wins (although I doubt they could be worse), but in terms of having players that we can root for playing a game that's worth watching.

Speed
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
In the it could be worse category, at least they know something is going on with Hansbrough, NOW.

I suppose to try to be positive, at least they have an opportunity to draft in a PF rich year, so that even if this is serious with Hansbrough it should allow them to get someone in to fill a spot there.

If Hansbrough had played and continued to show some of positive things, I don't know I trust TPTB to draft the best talent regardless. I still don't know they will, but at least this gives them the chance to have their eyes open to it, if it's a PF.

As for Obie, I think he's gone by the Monday following the last game. I call 4/19/10. From Obie's comment yesterday on his show about it being Bird's decision and he's a big boy about it, it sounded like he almost expects to get let go, to me.