PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Wes

skyfire
01-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I was listening to the recent Bill Simmons NBA podcast and they mentioned, Worldwide Wes. I had no idea who this was so I googled him and found this GQ Article from 2 years ago entitled, Is This the Most Powerful Man in Sports? (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/200706/william-wesley-worldwide-wes-nba-basketball).

http://www.gq.com/images/gq/features/070107/GQfeature9v.jpg

I had no idea he was, let alone his connections throughout the NBA and that he was in the midst at the brawl.

Pingu
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks, fascinating paper.

themayhem87
01-02-2010, 11:29 AM
worldwide wes is one of john calipari's goons. hes the one responsible for the "controversy" surrounding the recruitment of derrick rose and john wall. hes a real shady character who more than likely pays recruits. Tennessee juts lost one of our top recruits josh shelby and its rumored worldwide wes offered him cash to go to a nike school instead of an addidas school like tennessee

PacerDude
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Tennessee juts lost one of our top recruits josh shelby and its rumored worldwide wes offered him more cash to go to a nike school instead of an addidas school like tennessee
Fixed. :D

Brad8888
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
It is a real shame that people like him exist in sports, and that people trust him far enough to get "benefits" from knowing or being associated with him on so many levels.

Peck
01-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Fascinating article. Does anyone know when this was written?

I would love for there to be more about this guy, not just to expose him but I find his life interesting. This article set a backdrop but man there are so many pictures to paint that I think a book is in order.

Thesterovic
01-02-2010, 02:28 PM
So what exactly is he? Backstage celebrity/Scout/"Uncle"?

PR07
01-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow. This is pretty crazy, not what he does, but the fact that I've never heard of him given all of this.

Kstat
01-02-2010, 02:39 PM
power brokers generally do their brokering in the shadows. The less attention he attracts, the more effectively he can do what he does.

bulldog
01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
By moving around so much and being landing ridiculously good recruiting classes at every stop, Calipari is proving just how much influence these power brokers have. He's a good coach and recruiter, but he's not that good of a coach and recruiter.

Peck
01-02-2010, 04:54 PM
power brokers generally do their brokering in the shadows. The less attention he attracts, the more effectively he can do what he does.

Kstat do you have any idea why there is such a Detroit connection here? Seems as though he filters in and out of Detroit a lot per the article, is it Dumars or something else?

Iceman1
01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
And right now Worldwide Wes.....is sitting front row behind the Kentucky bench. Kentucky is playing Louisville on CBS.

BlueNGold
01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Mortgage broker, Pimp, Sports Agent, Influence Peddler, he's apparently all of the above and more. I'm glad I'd never heard of him.

cdash
01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
This guy was a hot topic a few years ago, I'm kind of surprised so many of you weren't aware of him.

Coop
01-02-2010, 07:52 PM
This guy was a hot topic a few years ago, I'm kind of surprised so many of you weren't aware of him.

I think a majority of the people who are really aware of WWW are big time college fans. A lot of the dealings he is involved in are far more controversial at the high school and college level than they are in the NBA. This is probably why some Pacers/NBA fans are first hearing about him now.

cdash
01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I think a majority of the people who are really aware of WWW are big time college fans. A lot of the dealings he is involved in are far more controversial at the high school and college level than they are in the NBA. This is probably why some Pacers/NBA fans are first hearing about him now.

Yes, us Hoosier fans have been whining about him (with good reason) for years now.

Hicks
01-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Just got done reading it. Quite fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Actually, it makes me hope the front office of our Pacers has some kind of contact with him just to get more buzz on who is "hot" come late June.

rexnom
01-03-2010, 03:52 AM
I remember reading this when it came out. Really blew my mind how involved this guy is.

Kaufman
01-03-2010, 07:40 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/05/sports/basketball/05wesley.html

Peck
01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
N.Y. Times adding one more picture to the mosaic.

Good find Doc.

Trader Joe
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
worldwide wes is one of john calipari's goons. hes the one responsible for the "controversy" surrounding the recruitment of derrick rose and john wall. hes a real shady character who more than likely pays recruits. Tennessee juts lost one of our top recruits josh shelby and its rumored worldwide wes offered him cash to go to a nike school instead of an addidas school like tennessee

It's a little scary the apparent draw this guy has at the college level as an Indiana fan...

Selby is still considering IU BTW which is also an Adidas school.

sweabs
01-04-2010, 04:38 PM
I have mentioned Keith Glass's book Taking Shots in a couple other threads - but once again, he touches on this subject as well. These types of guys (i.e. Wes) are ruining the agent business.

Unclebuck
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I wondered who that guy was

Speed
01-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Very interesting story. I had always thought that if that security guard had pepper sprayed Ron, it would have resulted in a blinded rage, where he lost it completely. Very scary thought when it comes to Ronron. So I guess he really averted something even worse, if that is even possible.

vapacersfan
01-05-2010, 01:11 AM
I have mentioned Keith Glass's book Taking Shots in a couple other threads - but once again, he touches on this subject as well. These types of guys (i.e. Wes) are ruining the agent business.

I always wondered who that guy was.

What exactly does a runner do? If he basically just trying to push people to one agent over another?

Sweabs, how is school going? Are you still doing sports journalism?

cdash
01-05-2010, 01:17 AM
It's a little scary the apparent draw this guy has at the college level as an Indiana fan...

Selby is still considering IU BTW which is also an Adidas school.

I can pretty much guarantee Selby doesn't go to Indiana, and I would wager a fair amount of money that he ends up at Kentucky.

sweabs
01-05-2010, 01:43 AM
I always wondered who that guy was.

What exactly does a runner do? If he basically just trying to push people to one agent over another?
Pretty much. The business is no longer about what agent has the best track record or credentials. It isn't even about who has your best interests in mind. Instead, it comes down to who has the best runner (realizing that agents can capitalize on the naievity and impressionable minds that are coming into the league and exploit that for their own benefit). Glass mentions how he has had some of his clients stolen away from him because of these runners who start getting into the ears of his clients. Certain agents hire these guys to do their dirty work.

Sweabs, how is school going? Are you still doing sports journalism?
Sports journalism?!?! Close, I suppose...pm sent! :)

Trader Joe
01-05-2010, 04:48 AM
I can pretty much guarantee Selby doesn't go to Indiana, and I would wager a fair amount of money that he ends up at Kentucky.

I'd agree, and I certainly don't like having guys like Wes running around.