PDA

View Full Version : The Gilbert Arenas and his guns thread

Basketball Fan
01-01-2010, 12:10 PM
So why did they change the name from the Bullets to the Wizards again?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApSYPlez5SnXJzrg0S1FQ_C8vLYF?slug=aw-arenasprobe123109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Arenas probe centers on locker-room standoff
Adrian Wojnarowski

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 9 hours, 29 minutes ago

Buzz up! 16
Print

An NBA investigation into Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas’(notes) possession of guns inside the team’s locker room has been linked to a confrontation with teammate Javaris Crittenton(notes), multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The league’s ongoing probe hopes to determine whether Arenas had accessed any of his unloaded firearms while engaged in the dispute prior to a team practice at the Verizon Center on Dec. 21 in Washington. Tensions between Arenas and Crittenton escalated because of a festering disagreement between the two players, sources said.

Arenas told reporters on Tuesday the District of Columbia police also are investigating the circumstances under which he brought the guns to the arena. The D.C. police issued a statement on Wednesday saying they were assisting the U.S. Attorney’s Office in a joint investigation into “an allegation that weapons were located inside a locker room at the Verizon Center.” The statement did not name any individuals.
More From Adrian Wojnarowski

Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas
(Getty Images)

The district has stringent gun laws that prohibit the carrying of weapons, openly or concealed.

The NBA is expected to wait to see if the law enforcement agencies file charges before the league acts. NBA security has been working with the Wizards to investigate the matter. Team officials had immediately reported the incident to the league office, and have been cooperating with law enforcement authorities.

Several league sources believe NBA commissioner David Stern ultimately will mete out stiff penalties in the matter. Both Arenas and Crittenton could be subject to suspensions and fines.

After CBSSports.com broke the story of the league’s investigation into Arenas’ gun possession on Dec. 24, the Wizards issued a statement saying Arenas had stored three unloaded firearms in a locked box inside his Verizon Center locker. Arenas has said he removed the guns from his home to keep them away from his three young children.

When asked by reporters Tuesday night whether he had showed his weapons to anyone in the locker room, Arenas said, “Yes, I showed them to someone. I showed them to team security when I handed them to them and said give them to the police. Yes, I took them out of this locker room. I had to take them out to get them out of here to give to security.”

Arenas said the investigation began two weeks ago. “They just wanted to know where I got [the guns] from,” he said, “and make sure they’re not dirty guns.”

Arenas, who turns 28 next week, is a three-time All-Star and is in the second season of a six-year, $111 million contract with the Wizards.

Crittenton, who turned 23 Thursday, hasn’t played this season for the Wizards, rehabbing from preseason foot surgery. He was the 19th pick in the 2007 NBA draft out of Georgia Tech and played for the Los Angeles Lakers and Memphis Grizzlies before being traded to Washington early last season.

This investigation has been yet another blow to what the Wizards had hoped would be a renaissance season. So far, disharmony has reigned in the Wizards’ 10-20 start. The locker room has been marred with friction between Arenas and the coaching staff and players. Arenas had missed most of the past two seasons with injuries, and his return had raised expectations the Wizards would be strong playoff contenders in the Eastern Conference again.

The Wizards are active in trade talks with multiple teams, league sources said, and willing to trade any player on their roster.

cinotimz
01-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Well if the Pacers could acquire Arenas, it would be a renaissance of sorts here in Indy. Back to the good ole Tinsley and Jackson days. :)

idioteque
01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
He drew a gun on a teammate? I'd take Tinsley back on a max deal before getting Arenas.

NBA players need to get smart and realize they don't need to hang out in the hood or have a bunch of guns anymore after they start making millions of dollars.

Justin Tyme
01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Now again why do the Pacers need Arenas? Besides not needing his albatross contract, the Pacers don't need this type of player AGAIN!

themayhem87
01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
gilbert arenas might be the most untradeable player in the nba...ernie grunfeld (even though he is a former vol) has no business keeping his job as GM either. He traded a top 5 pick for two scrubs while giving gilbert the worst contract in the nba. not good. now this

idioteque
01-01-2010, 12:42 PM
gilbert arenas might be the most untradeable player in the nba...ernie grunfeld (even though he is a former vol) has no business keeping his job as GM either. He traded a top 5 pick for two scrubs while giving gilbert the worst contract in the nba. not good. now this

All somewhat true, but hindsight is 20/20.

At the time of his re-signing Arenas was one of the most popular athletes in Washington DC. The fans loved him here. At that time, it seemed to me that it was impossible to predict he would be this injury prone and his much of a problem around his teammates. Common argument in DC was that the fans would have been quite angry if he were let go and it would have hurt the team's bottom line, because people would literally come to Wizards games just to see Arenas.

Brad8888
01-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I am pleased to note that there were no comparisons drawn to any former Pacers in this article. There probably will be when the punishments are handed out, but for now we have escaped any mention, which is a small testament to the progress we have made.

Even without this, Arenas was not worth his contract, and I am glad that this (hopefully) seals the deal and keeps him from coming here.

pwee31
01-01-2010, 12:49 PM
If he was untradeable due to his contract, imagine how hard it will be to move him now.

If they want to make changes, it'll have to be to move Butler or Jamison.

Wonder if they would do Murph for Jamison. They won't lose much stats wise, they make about the same, except Murph is a year shorter

Thesterovic
01-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I take back everything I ever said about this bum. This guy is nuts. Forget him, I thought he'd be the most realistic EC trade pickup, but there is no way Bird takes that hot garbage.

Josh Howard
Kevin Martin
Greg Oden
Elton Brand
Devin Harris
Ricky Rubio
Monta Ellis

Its pretty much down to these guys at the trade deadline next year.

Hicks
01-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm just remembering the JO to LA rumors with some Pacers fans drooling over JC being a throw in to the deal, and some Lakers fans insisting JC was untouchable.

:laugh:

Anthem
01-01-2010, 12:52 PM
If they want to make changes, it'll have to be to move Butler or Jamison.

Wonder if they would do Murph for Jamison. They won't lose much stats wise, they make about the same, except Murph is a year shorter
Don't toy with my emotions like that.

Brad8888
01-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I take back everything I ever said about this bum. This guy is nuts. Forget him, I thought he'd be the most realistic EC trade pickup, but there is no way Bird takes that hot garbage.

Josh Howard
Kevin Martin
Greg Oden
Elton Brand
Devin Harris
Ricky Rubio
Monta Ellis

Its pretty much down to these guys at the trade deadline next year.

Devin Harris, please! Kevin Martin too, if we must! :D

Bball
01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Another argument for the need in non-guaranteed contracts in the NBA....

Kstat
01-01-2010, 01:11 PM
its an argument for not signing mentally unstable people to $100 million contracts.

At the very most, maybe an amendment making certain acts grounds for termination, such as bringing a gun into a locker room.

Hicks
01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
At the very most, maybe an amendment making certain acts grounds for termination, such as bringing a gun into a locker room.

This is something I think is sorely needed in the next CBA. It's one thing if you **** up and give a guy too much money for his play, but if that guy is doing non-basketball things that hurt your franchise, you should have an eject button of some kind in those scenarios. And not just "well, he was convicted" like it seems to be now.

pristinecollector
01-01-2010, 01:34 PM
So what could potentially be the punishment here? A fine and 1-year suspension? Not nearly enough...too bad they can't take the millions away and send him packing.

Kstat
01-01-2010, 01:35 PM
A 1-year suspension to Arenas is essentially a $17 million fine in itself. It would be the most money lost to 1 incident in NBA history.

dohman
01-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I am quite confused. He had three guns in a locked box that were unloaded that he showed to team security. It doesn't sound like he did anything wrong? He didnt shoot up a night club am I wrong? I can probally say 90% of nba players have guns does that make them horrible?

I doubt he gets suspended. I mean for crying out loud the cavs west got caught with three guns that were loaded with no serials and nothing happened to him.

Kstat
01-01-2010, 01:46 PM
if you dont understand the difference between stupidly having guns on your own time and stupidly bringing them on to NBA property, there's a whole lot you don't understand about business.

This is the last thing the NBA wants. They will throw the fear of god into any player that wants to bring a gun on to NBA property from now on.

I don't care if they were loaded, unloaded or filled with taffy. The headline, "NBA players pull guns on each other in locker room" scares the living **** out of David Stern.

odeez
01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
What a bone head move, what is Arenas & Critterton thinking? You get paid Millions to play a game you love, enjoy it. I understand that some players can feel the need to protect themselves, but to bring guns to the Arena, is just stupid.

So you think Arenas & Critterton will be suspended? Certainly some kind of punishment along those lines will be in order from Stern. And Arenas's contract, wow, the Wiz got problems, and we don't need them.

Happy New Year! :dance:

pristinecollector
01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe this will help clear a bit up: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581718,00.html?test=latestnews

An NBA all-star and his Washington Wizards teammate reportedly drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a Christmas Eve fight over a gambling debt, the New York Post reports.

Gilbert Arenas, 27, went for his gun first, the Post reported, citing unnamed inside sources. His teammate Javaris Crittenton, 22, allegedly brandished a firearm as well.

It was unclear whether other teammates saw the standoff inside the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., the Post reported.

The Wizards announced on Christmas Day that Arenas had admitted to bringing guns to the locker room and had turned them over to team security. The NBA club's statement didn't disclose how Wizards officials discovered that Arenas was storing weapons on the job.

"It's in the hands of [Washington] authorities," Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld, a former star Knicks player and president, told the Post, declining to go into details. "We're going to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom to this."

Washington police said they were investigating Arenas for gun-possession violations.

And the full story here: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nba_gunpoint_R52AnT76DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

Guess they're still the Bullets at heart.

NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas and his Washing ton Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a Christmas Eve dispute over a gambling debt, The Post has learned.

League sources say the pistol-packing point guards had heat ers at the ready inside the Verizon Center, the Washington, DC, home of the Wizards -- whose name was changed from the Bullets over gun- vi olence concerns.

It was the three- time all-star Arenas, 27, who went for his gun first, sources said, draw ing on the 22-year-old Crit tenton, who quickly brandished a firearm as well.

It was not clear whether other teammates saw the shocking standoff, which happened on a practice day.

The duel in DC -- unprecedented in sports history -- was sparked when Critten ton became enraged at the vet eran guard for refusing to make good on a gambling debt, a source said.

"I'm not your punk!" Crittenton shouted at Arenas, according to a league source close to the Wizards.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources said.

A playground pal of Crittenton's from Atlanta, Kendrick "Bookie Ball" Long, confirmed the locker-room standoff and said he learned of it directly from the third-year player out of Georgia Tech.

"He [Arenas] was f- - -ing with him; he [Crittenton] was just defending himself!" declared Long, who said the dispute was over money but would not elaborate.

The Wizards announced on Christmas Day that Arenas had admitted to bringing guns to the locker room and had turned them over to team security. No ammunition was handed over.

The NBA club's statement didn't disclose how Wizards officials discovered that Arenas was storing weapons on the job.

But a league source said Arenas' weapons were uncovered only after the confrontation with Crittenton.

Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment. "It's in the hands of [Washington] authorities," said Grunfeld, a former star Knicks player and president. "We're going to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom to this."

Washington police said they were investigating Arenas for gun-possession violations. But the Wizards' gun grab has also drawn the attention of the feds.

"We're working with the Metropolitan Police Department on the investigation. That's about all we can say at his point," said Ben Friedman, a spokesman for the US Attorney's Office in DC.

The feds have been investigating gambling within the NBA since disgraced ex-referee Tim Donaghy admitted betting on games and feeding information to bookies. It was not clear whether the gambling debt that sparked the Arenas-Crittenton duel had anything to do with league games.

A top players-union official said he was shocked by the allegations. "This is unprecedented in the history of sports," said Player's Association Executive Director Billy Hunter. "I've never heard of players pulling guns on each other in a locker room."

Team owner Abe Pollin -- his sensitivity heightened by the fatal shooting of his good friend Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin in 1995 -- changed the club from the Bullets to the Wizards in 1997 because he didn't like the violent overtones of the original name. Pollin died in November.

Arenas, who has three kids, reportedly told team officials he brought guns to his Verizon Center locker so they wouldn't be close to his newborn at their home in Great Falls, Va.

He denied pulling a gun on Crittenton and even mocked the suggestion he would ever point a weapon at a teammate.

"You guys, I wanted to go rob banks, I wanted to be a bank robber on the weekends," Arenas said sarcastically after a game this week.

Firearm laws in Washington are among the nation's strictest. Until a recent US Supreme Court ruling, private ownership of guns was illegal in the nation's capital.

As it stands now, gun owners are allowed to transport firearms only within DC under very limited circumstances -- such as taking the weapon to be registered or to a practice range. There's no provision under current DC law for a private citizen to have a gun at work.

In 2003, Arenas pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon in San Francisco.

Arenas claimed the gun was legally registered in Arizona -- where he was star player for the University of Arizona Wildcats -- and said he forgot he needed California authorization to carry it there.

Crittenton hasn't played a minute this season for the Wizards and has struggled to overcome a bone bruise and strained tendons.

DrBadd01
01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Gilbert and JC should be suspended for the rest of the year for this. What astounds me more is that the Wizards allow Gilbert to keep a unloaded weapon the locker room. That is just trouble waiting to happen. . . .

dohman
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Now the second article makes more sense. I did not know where they got the headline that they pulled guns on each other. It simply said he had guns in a locked box that team security knew about. It also said the guns were unloaded so I didnt see the problem with that.

He in texas you can carry firearms with you if you have your permit so sorry if my knowledge of gun laws in washington are not up to par.

jhondog28
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
http://giovanniworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/8527stupid-people-posters.jpg

Justin Tyme
01-01-2010, 02:14 PM
If Artest gets suspended for the season for throwing a punch, Arenas suspension has to be greater than a year with pulling a gun on a teammate on NBA property. If not, then Stern shafted the Pacers in the brawl.... well, we already knew it, but it will be so obvious there will be no defense for the NBA redarding it now.

Naptown_Seth
01-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Boy could things get ugly for the next CBA debate, not just this but the Tins and Marbury situations. Owners have to be fed up with no recourse for ridiculous behavior.

But naturally the players are going to push back. I don't think they want to fight for "guns", but they will fight the ability of owners to break contracts off and stop paying players for any reason.

Justin Tyme
01-01-2010, 02:17 PM
He in texas you can carry firearms with you if you have your permit

Same here in Indiana. I hear Indiana also issues life time gun permits.:D

Anthem
01-01-2010, 03:34 PM
How is the headline misleading? The article flat-out says Arenas drew on JCrit, who drew as well. Loaded or not, JCrit's wasn't in a locked box if he could grab it while Arenas was pointing a gun at him.

That's some craziness.

joew8302
01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I wonder if Arenas will be suspended or not? Regardless, incredible bonehead move. It is no wonder organizations like San Antonio, who value character, have been ahead of the curve for 20 years now.

Los Angeles
01-01-2010, 04:30 PM
The part that I don't get is the whole "bet" thing.

If they didn't like each other, why on earth would they wager any money at all?

count55
01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
The part that I don't get is the whole "bet" thing.

If they didn't like each other, why on earth would they wager any money at all?

Who said they didn't like each other? It's my understanding that Gil just wanted to give JC a love double-tap.

imawhat
01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I thought the Pacers had team chemistry problems.

An incident involving two "shoot first" point guards.

Right now Washington longs for the days of Etan Thomas/Brendan Haywood punching each other in practice.

speakout4
01-01-2010, 06:58 PM
So what could potentially be the punishment here? A fine and 1-year suspension? Not nearly enough...too bad they can't take the millions away and send him packing.
It's D.C. we're talking about so nothing will happen to these guys.

PacerGuy
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM
What else would you expect, after all he is a "Point Guard"
:D

vnzla81
01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
now his trading value match his nick name :D. "agent 0" :laugh:

Thesterovic
01-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Couldn't they just buy him out if things get to outrageous? Or get mentally insane insurance, or medical insurance (If he gets hurt again), to pay his salary?

t1hs0n
01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I wonder what the amount of the bet was?

Five figures? Six figures?

Or, was it more of a moral position. I know I have made bets that were of an inconsequential amount of money that escalated to near fist fights over some technicality or slight misinterpretation of the original bet.

Lance George
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Teammates pulling guns on each other over a gambling debt... wow. :laugh:

Doug
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
If Artest gets suspended for the season for throwing a punch, Arenas suspension has to be greater than a year with pulling a gun on a teammate on NBA property. If not, then Stern shafted the Pacers in the brawl.... well, we already knew it, but it will be so obvious there will be no defense for the NBA redarding it now.Well, if Arenas had pointed the gun at fans during a game, then the comparison would hold. But as it is, it doesn't work.

dorkknob
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Is this the Wild West? So much for remedying the thug persona of the NBA.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I just woke up from a nap, opened up PD and I had to do a double take on this thread title. I swore I was dreaming.

I hope for the sake of the NBA as a whole that this isn't true.

Doddage
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm so glad it's not the Pacers that are stuck with Gilbert Arenas and his monstrous contract. He has effectively killed the Wizards' financial flexibility for the next five years. They're going to have to hope that he either returns to the high level of play he was at years ago, or the next CBA makes some provisions for guaranteed contracts. The former is probably more realistic.

vnzla81
01-01-2010, 08:20 PM
the funny part is that he turned down 16more mill a year, at least they are saving that much :laugh:

joew8302
01-01-2010, 08:29 PM
From what I understand these two could be facing assault with a deadly weapon and a minimum of five years in jail. That said Arenas is denying he pointed a gun at anyone.

Kstat
01-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Of course we're going to hear some denial now if the term "jail time" is brought up.

Who were the witnesses?

PaceBalls
01-01-2010, 08:34 PM
If he would go to prison, would they still have to pay him? Just how guaranteed are these contracts?

Kstat
01-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm sure there are clauses that allow for termination if a player goes to prison.

d_c
01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Back in 2003 when the Warriors lost Gilbert to the Wiz (due to the CBA at the time not allowing them to match the Wiz offer sheet), the Warriors management did express some amount of concern about his immaturity and antics.

Now if the CBA gave them the oppurtunity to match the Wiz offer (which was very reasonable), they would have done it. They did really want to keep him, but they did have reservations about his maturity. They kept it under the rug the entire time he was there because they knew he was a fan favorite.

joew8302
01-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Of course we're going to hear some denial now if the term "jail time" is brought up.

Who were the witnesses?

Not really sure. I have heard the police were interviewing people in the locker room and that Arenas denies pointing a gun at anyone. He also said he kept guns in his locker to keep them away from his young child at home. Terrible excuse, might as well just own it in this case.

It is obvious some type of charges will be levied here, how severe they will be remains to be seen.

odeez
01-01-2010, 09:23 PM
It's just crazy, the fallout from this will certainly be long suspensions and possibly more. The question is do the Wiz purse some course of action to void his contract (Arenas)? There is no excuse for him keeping guns in his locker. I know we have to let the investigation be completed, but it sure doesn't look good for all parties involved. It just boggles the mind, to have a huge contract like that and to risk it all. Get a body guard or something if you fear an attack, but don't carry around guns when you are the face of a franchise!

MikeDC
01-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I just woke up from a nap, opened up PD and I had to do a double take on this thread title. I swore I was dreaming.

I hope for the sake of the NBA as a whole that this isn't true.

When it comes to really important stuff like guns and gambling, I tend to think the NBA will work hard to make it go away.

vapacersfan
01-01-2010, 10:19 PM
All somewhat true, but hindsight is 20/20.

At the time of his re-signing Arenas was one of the most popular athletes in Washington DC. The fans loved him here. At that time, it seemed to me that it was impossible to predict he would be this injury prone and his much of a problem around his teammates. Common argument in DC was that the fans would have been quite angry if he were let go and it would have hurt the team's bottom line, because people would literally come to Wizards games just to see Arenas.

I do not mean to go off topic, but this sounds like the same reason we signed Jermaine O Neal.

vapacersfan
01-01-2010, 10:21 PM
This is something I think is sorely needed in the next CBA. It's one thing if you **** up and give a guy too much money for his play, but if that guy is doing non-basketball things that hurt your franchise, you should have an eject button of some kind in those scenarios. And not just "well, he was convicted" like it seems to be now.

I agree with you and Kstat, but to be fear Arena's original explanation was he wanted to get the handguns out of his house and away from his kids. He was not aware that it was illegal to posses handguns in D.C., and he kept them unloaded in his personal locker.

With all that said, there has to be some clause in contracts where the Wizards can void his contract (if this story is true. At this point that is a very big IF. )

vapacersfan
01-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Gilbert and JC should be suspended for the rest of the year for this. What astounds me more is that the Wizards allow Gilbert to keep a unloaded weapon the locker room. That is just trouble waiting to happen. . . .

He said he wanted to get them away from his new daughter.

Also, the fight was over Arenas owing $150,000

Kstat
01-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I agree with you and Kstat, but to be fear Arena's original explanation was he wanted to get the handguns out of his house and away from his kids. He was not aware that it was illegal to posses handguns in D.C., and he kept them unloaded in his personal locker.

THat explanation becomes null and void the second he picks it up in the middle of his locker room and points it at a teammate.

BlueNGold
01-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm just thankful the story line wasn't....former potential draft pick for the Indiana Pacers, Javaris Crittendon...

Seriously, this story is unreal. The sports world is filled with this stuff. What are there...450 players in the NBA? I would think money would help. Perhaps they make too much money.

vapacersfan
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
THat explanation becomes null and void the second he picks it up in the middle of his locker room and points it at a teammate.

First off sorry for my typos. I meant fair, not fear.

I agree with you, BTW.

Bball
01-01-2010, 10:33 PM
It sounds to me like the gambling angle could ultimately be more concerning (for the NBA) than the weapons issue if that 150,000.00 figure is true. ...If you have gambling debts of any amount that lead to arguments, fights, gun play, etc then you'd think the NBA will want to be asking "What were these guys wagering on and just how much gambling have they done?"

Bball
01-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Perhaps they make too much money.

:buddies:

bulldog
01-01-2010, 10:37 PM
What power do the Wizards have in punishing Arenas? For ex., does his contract have any stipulations about owning guns/violating gun laws (in a similar way that some contracts have prohibitions against riding motorcylces, even though its legal for a person to ride)?

I ask because it's rumored that the Wiz are looking to get out of Arenas' contract. Could they use this episode to cut him? Could they try to suspend him for a season to save a season's worth of money? Can they act independently of the NBA on this?

It seems like the Wizards have a lot of incentive to punish Arenas as much as possible.

vapacersfan
01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
It sounds to me like the gambling angle could ultimately be more concerning (for the NBA) than the weapons issue if that 150,000.00 figure is true. ...If you have gambling debts of any amount that lead to arguments, fights, gun play, etc then you'd think the NBA will want to be asking "What were these guys wagering on and just how much gambling have they done?"

I am not sure what the debt was from, but Arenas has admit to playing poker at half time in the past

PacerDude
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
He was not aware that it was illegal to posses handguns in D.C........He's been there for how long ?? Sorry - I don't buy the 'I didn't know' excuse. It's your responsibility to know those things if you own one (2, 3 ..... whatever).

vapacersfan
01-01-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree with much of what all of you are saying.

I must admit I did not know it was illegal to posses a handgun in the district but ok to own a rifle, but at the same time I do not reside in the district.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-01-2010, 11:00 PM
The new story by David Aldridge of NBA.com sheds some light on the subject:

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/01/wizards.arenas/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

The incident, the source said, apparently involved a debt of $25,000 that Arenas owed Crittenton. It is not clear why Arenas supposedly owed Crittenton the money, but the dispute apparently began on a team flight as the Wizards came home the night of Dec. 19, after Washington completed a road trip in Phoenix.

The team had the next day, Sunday the 20th, off, but was back at Verizon Center on Monday, Dec. 21, which is when the incident allegedly occurred. The source indicated that it happened before the team was in the locker room for the scheduled practice, but that there may have been one or more players in the room at the time.

Two sources indicated Friday that Washington, while not actively considering it at this time, would not shy away from at least having internal discussions about voiding the rest of Arenas's contract, which has three years and $67.7 million remaining on it after this season.

Even after the District's existing gun ban -- which made possession of any firearm in the city a crime -- was struck down by the Supreme Court last year in the case District of Columbia vs. Heller, the Washington, D.C. City Council passed an amendment last year to be in compliance with the Supreme Court that still requires anyone with a handgun to register it with the city -- in a building, ironically, that is just three blocks from the Verizon Center.

It is illegal for a person to have a gun in the District if the person is a drug addict, has ever been convicted of a felony in the District or anywhere in the United States, has ever been convicted of a firearms charge or has ever been convicted of certain misdemeanor charges such as vagrancy. Arenas plead no contest in 2003 to a misdemeanor for possessing a concealed weapon and driving without a license while he was a member of the Golden State Warriors. After he signed with Washington in the offseason, he was suspended for the Wizards' season opener in 2004 for the no contest plea.

There's a lot of info there and I don't want to paste the whole thing so click on the link for more.

Smoothdave1
01-02-2010, 12:02 AM
All I can say is that I'm glad that this didn't involve a Pacer.

If this story is true, Arenas deserves to have his contract terminated for pure stupidity. Both players are lucky that each other didn't "accidentally" kill one another.

It's one thing to own a gun and I can understand Gilbert's reasoning, but you need to use some better judgement. Should be interesting to see how all of this plays out. I would guess that both will avoid jail time, may get probation, pay some fines and do public service announcements, but we'll see......

d_c
01-02-2010, 03:19 AM
If this story is true, Arenas deserves to have his contract terminated for pure stupidity. Both players are lucky that each other didn't "accidentally" kill one another.

It's one thing to own a gun and I can understand Gilbert's reasoning, but you need to use some better judgement. Should be interesting to see how all of this plays out. I would guess that both will avoid jail time, may get probation, pay some fines and do public service announcements, but we'll see......

If true, he probably deserves to have his contract terminated, but let's face it: it's not happening.

You need proof, first of all. Who's going to provide the evidence that he was pointing a gun? I'm betting the entire Wiz locker room (including Crittentan) stays silent on this. I doubt any of them bark to the authorities.

If the Wiz really wanted to terminate the deal, they sure aren't acting like it right with the way they're handling it. I think Stern ends up fining and suspending Arenas to send a message, but doubtful this gets beyond that.

Now if you had several witness to prove he brandished the gun as it happened with Plaxico Burress, then he'd be in trouble. Unless some witness specifically implicates his actions, he likely won't be facing any felonies.

Kstat
01-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Golden State voided Sprewell's contract when he choked PJ Carlisimo. It has happened before.

vnzla81
01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Golden State voided Sprewell's contract when he choked PJ Carlisimo. It has happened before.

is there any way for us to make Murphy and Dun choke JOB? man that would be nice........:D( so we can get some cap space)

Kstat
01-02-2010, 01:42 PM
is there any way for us to make Murphy and Dun choke JOB? man that would be nice........:D( so we can get some cap space)

Well, the end of the story is that Sprewell fought the termination in court and wound up only getting suspended without pay for the rest of the season. Golden State eventually traded him to the Knicks the next year.

imawhat
01-02-2010, 03:38 PM
From Gilb's Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/GILBERTARENAS

"“I understand this is serious..but if u ever met me you know i dont do serious things im a goof ball this story today dont sound goofy to me.”

"they say bad decisions make for great stories...only true if u dont take urself too serious..see u guys in rated x hours ..LOL"

Ouch.

d_c
01-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Well, the end of the story is that Sprewell fought the termination in court and wound up only getting suspended without pay for the rest of the season. Golden State eventually traded him to the Knicks the next year.

The bigger issue here is that the Wiz are going to be in a real bind if they want to void his contract. They've already given statements to actually backup what Gilbert claims happened.

The Warriors really got screwed by that arbitrator.

imawhat
01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Also, from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4789650
Sources: Dispute began over card game
By Marc Stein

"Multiple sources told ESPN.com that an argument commenced during a card game on the team's overnight flight back to Washington from Phoenix on Dec. 19 and escalated into a heated exchange between Arenas and Crittenton. The Wizards had Dec. 20 off, but sources say the hostilities resumed Dec. 21 in the locker room on a practice day.

Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed three guns he owns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

The New York Post, quoting league security sources, reported in Friday's editions that Arenas and Crittenton pulled guns on each other over a gambling debt during the pre-practice confrontation at the Verizon Center.

The Washington Post, in a story posted on its Web site Friday night, quoted Arenas as saying, "That's not the real story." The newspaper also reported that the argument between Arenas and Crittenton was over "who had the bigger gun" and that there was never any intent to physically harm Crittenton, according to "a person who has spoken with Arenas recently."

ChicagoJ
01-02-2010, 04:38 PM

No they didn't. They suspended him a few games (10, I believe) and then Stern thought it was too light and stepped in himself and changed it to a 12-month suspension. The 12-month suspension was later shorted by the arbitrator.

The Warriors were finally going to get serious about trading Sprewell. He'd only been begging for a trade for weeks and they had been ignoring just how messed up/ toxic the PJ Carlisimo/ Sprewell relationship was.

Just a few days before, Sprewell sat down on the Spurs bench and begged his good friend Popovich to trade for him and get him out of there.

You can't condone what Sprewell did, but at least he gave dozens and dozens of warning signs before he finally snapped and then unfortunately for everyone he let PJ off the hook as the villian let him pretend to be the victem.

This situation seems pretty comparable, though.

d_c
01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
No they didn't. They suspended him a few games (10, I believe) and then Stern thought it was too light and stepped in himself and changed it to a 12-month suspension. The 12-month suspension was later shorted by the arbitrator.

The Warriors were finally going to get serious about trading Sprewell. He'd only been begging for a trade for weeks and they had been ignoring just how messed up/ toxic the PJ Carlisimo/ Sprewell relationship was.

Just a few days before, Sprewell sat down on the Spurs bench and begged his good friend Popovich to trade for him and get him out of there.

You can't condone what Sprewell did, but at least he gave dozens and dozens of warning signs before he finally snapped and then unfortunately for everyone he let PJ off the hook as the villian let him pretend to be the victem.

This situation seems pretty comparable, though.

The Warriors initially suspended him for 10 games. Then, due to public outcry, they tried to void the REST OF HIS CONTRACT. The NBA decided to suspended him for the next 82 games.

Sprewell's lawyers obviously appealed and the case went to arbitration, where the suspension was reduced to the rest of the season.

Kstat
01-02-2010, 06:28 PM
No they didn't.

Yes they did.

MikeDC
01-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrell_Sprewell#1997_choking_incident) is our friend on this one:

Sprewell was suspended for 10 days without pay. The next day, in the wake of a public uproar, the Warriors voided the remainder of his contract, which included $23.7 million over three years, and the NBA suspended him from the league for 82 games. Sprewell took the case to arbitration, and, as a result, the contract voiding was overturned and the league suspension was reduced to the remaining 68 games of the season. During his suspension, Sprewell was charged with reckless driving for his role in a 90 mph accident that injured two people, spending three months under house arrest as part of a no-contest plea.[

I think in light of the situation with Fontaine (Wikipedia also tells me that's Spree's middle name :laugh: ) and the situation with Tinsley not being resolved in favor of voiding contracts, it must be pretty damn hard to void an NBA contract.

Apparently the "moral turpitude" clause can't be construed to include minor offenses like trying to strangle your boss, so I have to think that the Wizards are pretty unlikely to be successful in voiding Arenas' deal.

PacerDude
01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
The plot thickens ............ (and the absurdity also) .....................

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4789650
Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed three guns he owns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

There's stupid and there's f'in stupid.

Young
01-02-2010, 11:23 PM
They should kick both of these guys out of the league, for good.

Basketball Fan
01-03-2010, 02:29 AM
I just realized something what if this happens in other lockerrooms?

I mean its odd the Wizards didn't see this coming or at least did nothing about it(I mean who would allow guns in a lockerroom? )You think the Colts players keep their guns in a lockerroom(if they own them that is) I doubt it.

If its a league wide problem how come only now this is coming out? I would think something like this would've happened sooner.

Basketball Fan
01-04-2010, 11:42 AM
This could be taken to a grand jury

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/04/gilbert-arenas-javaris-crittenton-nba-gun-grand-jury/#comments

wintermute
01-05-2010, 01:42 AM
i knew a pacer connection was bound to come up... didn't expect it to be an aba one though

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/11984/when-players-act-like-cowboys

Basketball Fan
01-05-2010, 02:04 AM
i knew a pacer connection was bound to come up... didn't expect it to be an aba one though

I'm not surprised only because Jalen Rose mentioned on ESPN how Earl Monroe was almost a Pacer and when he came to visit the Pacers he saw how players wore their guns like they were belts. And then he chose the Knicks.

Not sure how true that is but interesting story I guess.

Basketball Fan
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
According to TMZ, he didn't even have a license to carry those guns

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/05/gilbert-arenas-nba-gun-unlicensed-weapon-assault/#comments

Hicks
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Ruh-roh!

Slick Pinkham
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM

The classic story is the one where Reggie Harding, a 7-foot center with big-time anger, drug, and mental issues, was known to carry guns in his gym bag.

One night his road roommate, Jimmy Rayl, woke up in bed with Harding pointing a gun at him saying "I heard you don't like (N-word)s"

Rayl calmed him down, talked him into to taking the bullets out of the gun and giving them to Rayl, and got Harding to put the gun away.

Rayl later woke up with Harding again pointing the gun at him and saying "You don't think I only had 6 bullets, do you?"

After that, Harding was allowed to room alone. Later he was cut after he threatened to SHOOT the team's general manager.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hM8HDKn3mKMC&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142&dq=Reggie+Harding+Jimmy+rayl&source=bl&ots=YW9GV5Dm4j&sig=5hoAXXOcO4bRS7j9LsIxNXCjByM&hl=en&ei=AI1DS5yvPNSOtgfy5YCSCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Basketball Fan
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Karl Malone speaks on the matter

NBA legend Malone offers thoughts on alleged Wizards gun incident

Story Highlights
Former NBA star Karl Malone is a member of the National Rifle Association
According to him, people shouldn't own guns unless they're educated about them
David Stern needs to take a stance on the Arenas incident for the NBA to recover
PRINT EMAIL Buzz up! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE

By Karl Malone, Special to SI.com
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
Karl Malone
Karl Malone, who retired in 2004, was a two-time MVP and 13-time All-Star.
Jeff Gross/Getty Images

Former NBA star Karl Malone is an avid hunter who publicly declared his advocacy of the right to bear arms by becoming a spokesman for the National Rifle Association. SI.com asked Malone for his thoughts on the situation involving three-time All-Star Gilbert Arenas, who acknowledged Monday that he stored unloaded guns at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., and said he displayed them in front of Wizards teammate as "a misguided effort to play a joke."

The report that Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton had allegedly pulled guns on each other was one of the worst things I've ever seen come across the TV. All the years I played, I've never heard of anything like this alleged incident or of a player bringing guns into the locker room. Doing that in the locker room, with so much that can happen? It's one of those things you just don't do. I can't make any sense of that. You can't tell me one good thing that can happen with a gun in an arena, but I can tell you a thousand bad things.

If I'm a player on that team, of course, I'm saying to those guys, "What the hell are you doing?" Even if, as Arenas insists, he brought the guns to the arena because he wanted them away from his children at home, I wouldn't have bought that excuse. Buy a safe. Put them in there. End of story.

The NBA can't sweep something like that under the rug. To me, this is another example of a dark cloud that we can never seem to get over. When I say "we," I mean the NBA. I'm still an NBA player; I'm just retired. The amazing thing to me is, it seems just when the league has a little bit of positivity, then we have one big negative and it reflects on all the players. Now people think every NBA player is carrying firearms into the locker room. I guess the next thing is that instead of us walking around those metal detectors in arenas, we should start walking through them. So many kids are doing it the right way in the league, but you get linked with one guy making one mistake.

This is bigger than a guns-in-the-locker-room story, because supposedly the alleged altercation stemmed from a gambling debt. I used to play cards with teammates, and you're not just playing for the sake of it. You're playing for money, but I never won or lost to the point I was angry with my teammates and wanted to fight or pull a gun.

With regard to discipline, commissioner David Stern is the only one who can attempt to fix this, and he has to be the one to make the statement -- in the same way that Roger Goodell treats disciplinary situations with the NFL. I absolutely love the way Goodell handles things. I know people don't really like what Goodell has done in certain cases, but they respect him because he'll tell you why he did it. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Stern, because I'm not, but that's what people want to see.

I don't want to see Arenas made an example of, but this is not just a minor situation, and if we say that, it's ridiculous. This is one of those times that the league needs to say, "We will not condone this." Guys need to be proud of being an NBA player. Being in the NBA is a great thing. The league owes us nothing. We owe what we have to the NBA. Take your job seriously, have a sense of urgency to get people back in the stands. People are waiting to see how the commissioner handles it. They don't want to hear from anyone but him.

I like Arenas, but his initial reaction to this, in which he downplayed the seriousness of having guns in the locker room, was all wrong. It's wrong to make light of a firearm. That's when mistakes are made. 'Fess up, and don't blow it off like it wasn't a mistake. Say, "I made a terrible mistake with a gun. I need to make it right." This is nothing to be laughing about.

Once again, gun owners get a bad rap. We're good people; we're not back in the Old West. I got my first gun when I was 8 years old -- an old .410 single shot. I've been around them all the time ever since, and I'm a member of the NRA. I love guns, and I respect guns. I have them in a secure place. When I was in Utah, I took all the necessary training with the gun and had my concealed-weapons permit, and I'll be the first to tell you I don't go anywhere in my vehicle without my weapon, but at no point has it ever occurred to me to take it inside anywhere, let alone an arena.

Unfortunately, we always hear bad things about guns. But guns don't kill people -- people kill people. I'm not saying that everybody should have guns, but I will tell you this: If you're willing to go through the training and proper procedure to have guns, then they're fine.

But if I were a gun dealer and somebody walked in and said, "I want this for protection," I don't know if I would sell it to that person, because that person's only thinking about another confrontation. The people who get threatened or cut off in their car and think about their guns are the people who don't need a gun. My grandfather, Leonard Jackson, once told me, "Karl, remember this, son: If you ever pull a gun, be prepared to fire that gun, because the person you pull that gun on has every right to pull a gun on you." He told me that when I was 6 and I didn't even have a gun yet.

The big picture is that guns won't protect you. If someone really wanted to get you, they would. If you still feel you need that protection, get yourself a bodyguard who knows the rules and knows the laws. How about you do all of that before you even consider having a gun? For you to say you need a gun for your protection? My goodness gracious, how are you living that you need that? I don't know where all these guys grew up, or who wants to do something to them, but be honest about why you want it. If you need a gun for that, that's for all the wrong reasons and something bad will come from it.

If I seem a little fired up, I am. It's a privilege to own a firearm and I take offense when people don't handle their business the right way.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/01/05/karl.malone.arenas/index.html?xid=si_topstories#ixzz0blrWDLK3
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Basketball Fan
01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/71GqBJhtnJs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/71GqBJhtnJs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Arenas suspended indefinitely without pay. Stern says he's "unfit to play in the NBA."

50% of his remaining salary is removed from the cap for lux tax purposes.

It's Gil's birthday by the way.. so Happy Birthday Gil.

No word on punishment for Critt yet.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63868/20100106/nba_suspends_arenas_indefinitely/

The NBA has decided to suspend Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas indefinitely.

Commissioner David Stern issued the following statement Wednesday:

"The possession of firearms by an NBA player in an NBA arena is a matter of the utmost concern to us. I initially thought it prudent to refrain from taking immediate action because of the pendency of a criminal investigation involving the office of the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia and the Metropolitan Police Department, and the consideration of this matter by a grand jury sitting in the District of Columbia. For the same reason, I directed the Wizards to refrain from taking any action. Wizards personnel continue to be interviewed by law enforcement authorities, some are scheduled for appearance before the grand jury and the investigation is proceeding with the intensity that one would expect for such a serious incident.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game. Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

Anthem
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Holy cow that's amazing. Probably worth its own thread.

duke dynamite
01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh boy. Wouldn't that stink to be the second of two people to get season-long suspensions from the league? Not very good looking on a resume.

Mourning
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm just remembering the JO to LA rumors with some Pacers fans drooling over JC being a throw in to the deal, and some Lakers fans insisting JC was untouchable.

:laugh:

Yeah, that was good comedy :).

Basketball Fan
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
I am offline for most of the day and this happens. Go figure

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Just to put my :twocents: in, I don't agree with this decision at all. I think it is very premature since the government hasn't completed their investigation yet. The details of what happened aren't clear and I certainly don't believe there was a wild wild west showdown in the locker room.

The thing with Gilbert is he's always joking. ALWAYS. Even when it's clearly not a joking matter, like this case. You can look at it as being immature but that's just how he deals with pain and how he gets through the tougher things in life. He laughs about them. That's just who he is and he's never going to change. Here's a couple excerpts from his twitter that explain it a little bit.

TRUE STORY-there was a blind girl who hated herself becuz she was blind.she hated everyone,except her loving boyfriend.he was always there for her.she told her boyfriend,'if i could only see the world,i will marry you'One day,someone donated a pair of eyes to her.when the bandages came off,she was able to see everything,including her boyfriend.He asked her,'now that u can see the world,will you marry me?' the girl looked at her boyfriend and saw that he was blind.the sught of his closed eyelids shocked her.she hadnt expected that.the thought of looking at then the rst of her life led her to fefuse to marry him.Her boyfriend left in tears and days later wrote a note to her saying Take good care of yours eyes,my dear,Befor they were yours,they were mine.' this is how the human brain often works when our status CHANGE.only a very few remember what life was like before,and who was always by there side in the most painful situations.life is a gift TODAY before you say an unkind word-think of someone who cant speak. Before you complain about life-think of someone who went too too early to heaven..and when you complain about your job-think of the unemployed,the disabled,and those who wish they had your job.and when depreeing Thoughts sem to get you down-PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND THINK:YOU'RE ALIVE AND STILL AROUND....so join me in enjoying everyday and smile for the negative people."

Tell me this is an immature person.

I think this picture from last night pushed Stern to make a quick decision. Maybe he feels like Gil is showing him up or like Gil isn't showing enough remorse for his actions? But what do you want him to do? Mope around and say sorry all day? He's being himself. Punish him for trying to smile in difficult times.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs212.snc3/21975_261852764594_676099594_4355825_4223153_n.jpg

This is what Gil had to say about that picture:
"I know everybody seen the pre game pics..my teammate thought to break the tention we should do that..but this is gettn way to much. I wanna say sorry if I pissed any body off by us havin fun...I'm sorry for anything u need to blame for for right now.." also from his twitter @gilbertarenas

Thankfully, Gil got one of the best lawyers in the country so he can fight this ridiculous decision but even then, the Wizards' image took a hit and I don't think they'll want him back. If they can get out of his contract, I think they will without thinking twice. It's a shame. It really is. One of the greatest, nicest people you'll ever meet is getting the book thrown at him because Stern is so concerned with his ****ing image. As Pacers fans, we can especially relate with this bull**** because we had the book thrown at us with those suspensions also.

I could rant about this all day but I need to go get a breather. I can't believe this. I really can't. The "not fit to currently play in the NBA" bit really gets me.

Sigh....

And **** Vecsey and the NY Post for starting this whole fabrication of events. Guns drawn... gambling debt... give me a break.

Gilbert said it best:

for P Vecsey-ur articles r very entertaining and exciting..its like AND 1 basketball..great to watch but just not the real thing..cmon son

Kstat
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
You realize whatever explanation he gives is going to make it seem like no big deal. Of course he's going to say it was "just a joke." He's facing jail time.

The mere fact he brought a gun into an NBA locker room means he should be suspended. Period. Stern should have handed this down a week ago.

And please, spare me your pity-party for a grown man who put his very profession in jeopardy by either making a ridiculous threat to a teammate or playing an equally ridiculous practical joke on a teammate. Even if you remove the gun from the equation, his stupidity alone still warrants a suspension.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
You realize whatever explanation he gives is going to make it seem like no big deal. Of course he's going to say it was "just a joke." He's facing jail time.

The mere fact he brought a gun into an NBA locker room means he should be suspended. Period. Stern should have handed this down a week ago.

No, he'd be saying "it's just a joke" anyways because he's always joking. He's not putting on some funny guy act as a defense. He's always been like that.

A week ago we didn't even know what happened. A week ago we thought they were pointing guns at each other. Today we know they didn't do that. I'd agree with a suspension. It's simply necessary due to the Code of Conduct but to say indefinitely, to say he's "not fit" for the NBA and to say **** like he could be "suspended for the year... at least..." is going completely overboard. You're basically trying to end his career over a slip up and really poor judgment.

Innocent till proven guilty my ***.

Kstat
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
right, so you know Gilbert Arenas now?

You'd think the Tiger Woods fiasco would have hammered home this point, but I guess I have to reiterate:

YOU DO NOT KNOW GILBERT ARENAS. He's a basketball player you're a fan of. Your relationship with him ends there. You do not know what he's like off the floor or what he says to his teammates in private.

You do not know what went on between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton. Only the people that were there do.

All I know for certain is that guns were involved, and in an NBA locker room. That's all I need to know for certain. In NBA law, that should be the only proof they need.

cinotimz
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM

You'd think the Tiger Woods fiasco would have hammered home this point, but I guess I have to reiterate:

YOU DO NOT KNOW GILBERT ARENAS. He's a basketball player you're a fan of. Your relationship with him ends there. You do not know what he's like off the floor or what he says to his teammates in private.

You do not know what went on between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton. Only the people that were there do.

All I know for certain is that guns were involved, and in an NBA locker room. That's all I need to know for certain. In NBA law, that should be the only proof they need.

Ah.

Stop the presses.

We totally agree.

Gilbert is not unlike many athletes. Just bit out of touch with reality and thinking they are a bit above the law. And whatever simple explanation they might choose to give will all make it better.

Gil wants to say sorry, just a big misunderstanding and he was only joking.

Guns arent a laughing matter and I dont think many are laughing about this. Gil doesnt seem to get that.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM

The Gilbert Arenas I know is the dude who took one of his coaches' car keys, took his car and parked it in a garage down the street and put the keys back where he found them. The coach thought his car was stolen until Gil finally gave up the joke.

And that's exactly what I'm trying to say so thank you for helping me make my point. No one knows what happened!! So why suspend him indefinitely without knowing all the facts? Because you feel like Gil is disrespecting you by calling you mean? Stern just wanted to make an example out of him and he got impatient.

All I know for certain is that guns were involved, and in an NBA locker room. That's all I need to know for certain. In NBA law, that should be the only proof they need

And I said I agree. A suspension is absolutely necessary, but the punishment does not fit the crime.

Kstat
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Nobody is sending him to jail, much like Pete Rose did not get thrown in jail for gambling on baseball. But his employer does (and should) have much stricter rules.

The NBA if anything should be harsher than warranted, to send a message to every other player and nip a potential nightmare in the bud before it happens.

vapacersfan
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with Kstat 110% (:-o:-o:-o)

I am a huge advocate of the 2nd amendment, but there is a time and place for everything. I do not care how funny you think you are being, there is NEVER an excuse for joking around when it comes to a firearm.

That is all I will say about that as I want to avoid this turning political.

As far as the suspension, I agree he should be suspended, but I can see where all season seems to be a bit much. With that said, lets let the system play itself out. If Gilbert is smart he gets a great PR and legal team team, gets off of twitter, lays low for a bit and lets this blow over.

I am not sure what an appropriate suspension is (and that changes drastically if Gilbert gets jail time) but clearly Gilbert did not understand how serious of a situation this was or he would not have done what he did last night (and I totally get he is a guy who jokes around, but as a adult you have to know the situation. Clearly he did not, or he is just plain stupid and didn't care. I like to think it was the former, and he just did not realize how severe the situation was.)

mildlysane
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
A common citizen of DC that was caught with 3 guns and did not have a license to have them, and was accused of drawing one of them on someone, would probably already be in jail. Unless, of course, they were granted bail.

Trophy
01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Arenas just can't have a normal season and play the majority of the games.

Season ending injuries and now a pretty long suspension.

Basketball Fan
01-07-2010, 12:45 AM
:-o

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167.html

It also came as new details emerged about the locker-room confrontation between Arenas and Javaris Crittenton, a Wizards teammate, on Dec. 21 that suggest a potentially far more volatile incident than was originally reported by Arenas to team officials.

The two players had been arguing during a card game on the Wizards' flight back from Phoenix Dec. 19, and the dispute spilled into the team locker room at Verizon Center before practice two days later. Arenas has acknowledged bringing his handguns to the arena and displaying them in the locker room that morning in what he maintained was a playful gesture aimed at his teammate.

According to two first-hand accounts of the confrontation, Crittenton responded to Arenas's action -- which included laying the four unloaded weapons in Crittenton's cubicle with a note that read, "Pick One" -- by brandishing his own firearm, loading the gun and chambering a round.

Two of the five people in the room that morning, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Arenas had originally not disclosed Crittenton's action to protect the little-used guard from prosecution and had told Crittenton he would assume full responsibility for the actions of both players that day.

MikeDC
01-07-2010, 01:46 AM
A few thoughts

1. I read on Woj's Twitter (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)

“Stern feels like he’s been taunted by (Arenas),” NBA source says. “He’s done for the year….at the very least.”

I really disagree with that. This is not to say it’s appropriate conduct on Arenas’ part. In fact, I’d be all for voiding his contract and setting him back $80M or so over it, if I thought the NBA or Wizards had the power to do that under the CBA. I wish they did, but I don't think they do.

But above all, I favor it because it’s in the league’s interest to send that message about what Arenas does to the league.

It is in the interest of the league to have Commissioner Stern, who punishes guys because they’ve given the league a black eye. It is not in the interest of the league to have Vice Principal Stern, who gives the sense that he punishes guys worse because he feels taunted and slighted, rather than because they’ve given the league a black eye.

But hey, VP Stern, you might want to get around to suspending the guy who actually had pointed the loaded weapon at his teammate, and not the guy who annoyingly joked about it. Or, at lest, you know, wait till you have some facts.

2. My understanding is that that to successfully void a contract, the NBA will have to see the player first convicted of a felony. I think this is extremely unlikely. I’m still not sure having an unregistered and unloaded firearm in the district is a felony. I was looking at the handgun registration page for DC, however, and found this (http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,567003.asp#3):

If a person or organization within the District voluntarily and peaceably delivers and abandons to the Chief of Police any firearm, destructive device or ammunition at any time, such delivery shall preclude the arrest and prosecution of such person on a charge of violating any provision of this section with respect to the firearm, destructive device, or ammunition voluntarily delivered. Delivery under this section may be made at any police district, station, or central headquarters, or by summoning a police officer to the person’s residence or place of business. Every firearm and destructive device to be delivered and abandoned to the Chief under this section shall be unloaded and securely wrapped in a package, and, in the case of delivery to a police facility, the package shall be carried in open view. No person who delivers and abandons a firearm, destructive device, or ammunition under this section, shall be required to furnish identification, photographs or fingerprints. No amount of money shall be paid for any firearm, destructive device, or ammunition delivered and abandoned under this section. (DC Official Code § 7-2507.05 (a)).

That is, Arenas is probably immune to prosecution under most of the available laws simply by surrendering the weapons (which I believe he already has, based on the WaPo article and other sources).

3. Even beyond that, given the Heller decision, it’s pretty likely convicting a very wealthy man of a felony for possession of an unloaded firearm will be difficult in the first place, and will require expensive constitutional level appeals.

Arenas sure as hell isn’t going to go quietly if he’s got $80M at stake. At best, the process will take a couple years.

That makes voiding the contract a pretty big question in my mind. It sounds like it can only be voided if he’s convicted of a felony. What happens if it’s overturned on appeal? For that matter matter, what if he makes a plea deal or does a nolo contendre?

I gotta think the odds of him going to jail or having his contract wiped out are earth-shatteringly small.

4. I suspect Javaris Crittenden never plays in the NBA again. And Gilbert Arenas does.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-07-2010, 05:02 AM
:-o

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167.html

Wow. Unfortunately, that won't change anything now because Stern has already decided who he will make an example of. Now wouldn't it have been a more prudent decision to wait for all the facts to come out, such as you know, little details like this?

But no, Gil is the high-profile star, the one even people who don't watch basketball have heard of, so you must come down hard on him for the betterment of the league's image. Not Critt, the inactive nobody, the one who actually had a loaded gun and posed a threat... no, no one will remember if you make an example out of him.

Double-standards FTW!

Kstat
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
If Arenas had kept his mouth shut and not mocked the entire incident on TV, he would probably still be playing right now. He brought it on himself.

Arenas is on the front page of today's USA Today sports section with his mock-6 shooters out. He may as well have held up a sign that read, "I don't want to make money any more."

Again, spare me the pity for Arenas, who seems hell bent on digging himself a deeper hole every time he's in front of a camera.

At least in the end, Arenas might only lose a year. Crittenton will never step foot on to an NBA floor again, and will most likely do hard time.

judicata
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
A few thoughts

1. I read on Woj's Twitter (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)

I really disagree with that. This is not to say it’s appropriate conduct on Arenas’ part. In fact, I’d be all for voiding his contract and setting him back $80M or so over it, if I thought the NBA or Wizards had the power to do that under the CBA. I wish they did, but I don't think they do.

But above all, I favor it because it’s in the league’s interest to send that message about what Arenas does to the league.

It is in the interest of the league to have Commissioner Stern, who punishes guys because they’ve given the league a black eye. It is not in the interest of the league to have Vice Principal Stern, who gives the sense that he punishes guys worse because he feels taunted and slighted, rather than because they’ve given the league a black eye.

But hey, VP Stern, you might want to get around to suspending the guy who actually had pointed the loaded weapon at his teammate, and not the guy who annoyingly joked about it. Or, at lest, you know, wait till you have some facts.

2. My understanding is that that to successfully void a contract, the NBA will have to see the player first convicted of a felony. I think this is extremely unlikely. I’m still not sure having an unregistered and unloaded firearm in the district is a felony. I was looking at the handgun registration page for DC, however, and found this (http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,567003.asp#3):

That is, Arenas is probably immune to prosecution under most of the available laws simply by surrendering the weapons (which I believe he already has, based on the WaPo article and other sources).

3. Even beyond that, given the Heller decision, it’s pretty likely convicting a very wealthy man of a felony for possession of an unloaded firearm will be difficult in the first place, and will require expensive constitutional level appeals.

Arenas sure as hell isn’t going to go quietly if he’s got $80M at stake. At best, the process will take a couple years.

That makes voiding the contract a pretty big question in my mind. It sounds like it can only be voided if he’s convicted of a felony. What happens if it’s overturned on appeal? For that matter matter, what if he makes a plea deal or does a nolo contendre?

I gotta think the odds of him going to jail or having his contract wiped out are earth-shatteringly small.

4. I suspect Javaris Crittenden never plays in the NBA again. And Gilbert Arenas does.

I think the surrender provision does get Arenas out of any unregistered possession charges, but that is not a sure deal. Ambitious D.A.'s may be interested in interpreting "voluntary" in a manner which precludes after the fact surrender.

The Heller decision, on the other hand, is useless to Arenas. It simply says that DC cannot completely proscribe gun ownership. It does not touch registration laws, which are quite widespread. I would say the probability of SCOTUS striking down gun registration laws is about nil.

Beyond that, it does depend on the facts of the case. Even if the DC registration laws do not get the DA there, if Arenas brandished or threatened with the gun, there is a new host of felony offenses that he is eligible for.

Even if Arenas never gets nailed for a felony, there are some contracts doctrines that might be worth exploring. I doubt they will get very far given the lawyers that drafted the CBA, but the Wizards are probably pretty damned motivated.

There is a lot going on here, and a whole lot of cash on the line. Did the Wizards really green light the weapon storage? What went down in the locker room?

As for Arenas, his legacy is on the line here. He can't really afford a multi-year suspension, he's getting too old and creaky. That being said, depending on the facts, his crime may not be all that heinous. In which case he may be able to get serious and do some things that will soften the hammer blow coming down from Stern.

Basketball Fan
01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Now there may be video footage of the incident

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/07/arenas-gun-standoff-locker-room-video/#comments

Arenas Gun Standoff -- Locker Room Video

Posted Jan 7th 2010 1:00PM by TMZ Staff

Gilbert ArenasThe Xmas Eve gun standoff between Gilbert Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton may have been caught on tape by surveillance cameras, law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

We're told the Washington Wizards have told D.C. cops they have locker room surveillance video but are having trouble downloading it. The Geek Squad -- aka computer-savvy detectives -- are going to the Wizards organization today to help.

And get this -- a source connected with the investigation tells TMZ the Wizards have been "over cooperative" with cops -- as the source says, "almost as if they want Arenas to go down."

The source says "there is a better than 50/50 chance the U.S. Attorney will issue a felony arrest warrant against Arenas."

As for what caused the confrontation that allegedly triggered a gun standoff -- law enforcement tells TMZ it was all over a card game known as Bourré.

The NBA suspended Arenas indefinitely yesterday and, as we first reported, Arenas didn't have a license for the guns.

MikeDC
01-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I think the surrender provision does get Arenas out of any unregistered possession charges, but that is not a sure deal. Ambitious D.A.'s may be interested in interpreting "voluntary" in a manner which precludes after the fact surrender.

The Heller decision, on the other hand, is useless to Arenas. It simply says that DC cannot completely proscribe gun ownership. It does not touch registration laws, which are quite widespread. I would say the probability of SCOTUS striking down gun registration laws is about nil.

I wasn't thinking of Heller in the sense of direct precedent, but in the more generic sense that a motivated (as Arenas certainly would be) defendant could probably mount a lengthy and complicated defense that mounts constitutional issues. Registration laws in general aren't going to be unconstitutional, but there are some oddities regarding the DC law, and there might be grounds for saying it's overrestrictive.

As for Arenas, his legacy is on the line here. He can't really afford a multi-year suspension, he's getting too old and creaky. That being said, depending on the facts, his crime may not be all that heinous. In which case he may be able to get serious and do some things that will soften the hammer blow coming down from Stern.

Yeah, I tend to think it's going to end with a moderate suspension (which will cost Arenas several million bucks) and that's about it. I'd be ok with voiding his contract from an ethical perspective, but legally (though I'm not an expert by any stretch), I think it's going to be a very uphill battle.

Hopefully the NBA takes notice and makes this a point of negotiation in the upcoming CBA negotiations.

speakout4
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
If Arenas had kept his mouth shut and not mocked the entire incident on TV, he would probably still be playing right now. He brought it on himself.

Arenas is on the front page of today's USA Today sports section with his mock-6 shooters out. He may as well have held up a sign that read, "I don't want to make money any more."

Again, spare me the pity for Arenas, who seems hell bent on digging himself a deeper hole every time he's in front of a camera.

At least in the end, Arenas might only lose a year. Crittenton will never step foot on to an NBA floor again, and will most likely do hard time.
I doubt that Arenas could ever have beat this. He stepped into too many agendas-players with guns, DC gun ordinances, player contracts, player-nba contracts, negative image resulting from Donaghy, etc.. IMO Arenas' mocking was something they probably told him to do-play the harmless clown. We will just have to see.

As you said, Critt's career is over if he loaded the gun. Hard time is very likely.

Kstat
01-07-2010, 09:32 PM
No doubt he would have gotten suspended anyway eventually, but he sped up his punishment with his own actions.

PacerDude
01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
IMO Arenas' mocking was something they probably told him to do-play the harmless clown.

Who are 'they'. His stupid agent/advisors ?? Or his stupid friends ??

Either way, 'they' are total idiots.

MikeDC
01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Who are 'they'. His stupid agent/advisors ?? Or his stupid friends ??

Either way, 'they' are total idiots.

He doesn't have an agent because he was trying to save on commission (oops).

I think the jist he was getting at is the sort of stuff summed up in this Wojnarski column (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ah4H29eYQn1_pw7ZTCDv.8m8vLYF?slug=aw-arenaswizards010710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) accusing the NBA for being an enabler and encourager of Arenas' clownishness. I see his point, but I'm pretty skeptical that anyone suggested this fiasco was a good idea.

Slightly OT, I see this Christian Davenport article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103836_pf.html) in the Washington Post about how difficult it is to legally get a gun in DC. I think some of those requirements (especially if you compare them to states like Virginia - where Arenas had his guns prior - or here in Indiana) might be challengeable as too restrictive of gun rights.

Basketball Fan
01-11-2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/11/cops-to-air-dirty-laundry-in-gilbert-arenas-case/#comments

TMZ Sports
Cops to Air Dirty Laundry in Gilbert Arenas Case

Posted Jan 11th 2010 7:25AM by TMZ Staff

Something stinks in the Gilbert Arenas gun investigation -- and it's coming from the locker room laundry basket.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ the other Washington Wizards player involved in the incident, Javaris Crittenton, is also facing the possibility of gun charges after witnesses claimed he threw a gun into a locker room laundry basket in an attempt to hide the firearm from team authorities.

We're told, according to witnesses, the whole thing started after Arenas displayed four guns on the bench in front of his locker. Witnesses told authorities Crittenton said, "I have my own gun" -- went to his locker and pulled it out.

Soon after, we're told, witnesses say Wizards officials began to enter the locker room -- and Crittenton tossed his weapon into a laundry bin, which was wheeled out of the locker room before anyone knew what was going on.

Authorities are still looking for Crittenton's gun -- and we're told they're also re-examining surveillance footage, looking for anyone wheeling out the bin.

Basketball Fan
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Wizards players to testify in Gilbert Arenas case

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/11/gilbert-arenas-javaris-crittenton-washington-wizards-gun-case-grand-jury/#comments

Wizards Players to Testify in Gilbert Arenas Case

Posted Jan 11th 2010 12:30PM by TMZ Staff

Three Washington Wizards players -- including captain Antawn Jamison -- will testify today before a grand jury in the Gilbert Arenas/Javaris Crittenton gun case, law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

Gilbert Arenas, Javaris Crittendon
Our sources tell us Arenas has already been called in by the U.S. Attorney but he made it clear he would not testify on grounds of self-incrimination. We're also told Crittenton has lawyered up and took the same position as Arenas.

We're also told head coach Flip Saunders came to the grand jury last week. We don't know if he actually testified in front of the grand jury or just spoke with the U.S. Attorney.

As we first reported, cops are still looking for Javaris' gun -- which witnesses have told cops he tossed into a laundry basket after the confrontation with Arenas. Our sources say someone from the team wheeled the basket out of the locker room. D.C. cops are looking at surveillance video to see if there's a shot of the basket being wheeled out.

Both players could be indicted on felony gun charges.

Basketball Fan
01-14-2010, 02:02 AM
TMZ Sports
Gilbert Arenas Wants to Cop a Plea

Posted Jan 13th 2010 1:55PM by TMZ Staff

Washington Wizards player Gilbert Arenas and the U.S. Attorney are negotiating a plea bargain ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Arenas' lawyer and prosecutors are discussing a plea in which Arenas would cop to misdemeanor gun charges. We're told a deal hasn't been struck yet, but it could come as early as today.

Sources say the filing of charges would coincide with the plea, so it would all go down quickly. We do not know what they are discussing with respect to a sentence ... the prosecutor would recommend a sentence but ultimately it's the judge's decision.

Arenas is under investigation for felony gun charges for the locker room incident last month.

As for what a plea would do to Arenas' status as a member of the Washington Wizards, we're told G.M. Ernie Grunfeld and Arenas were text messaging each other shortly after the incident. In one of the text messages, Grunfeld wrote that Arenas had violated his NBA contract which prohibits players from possessing a firearm in a team or league facility. As a result Grunfeld texted the team had a right to void his contract ... worth $111 million.
More Gilbert Arenas

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/page/2/#ixzz0cZ2BJzya

Basketball Fan
01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Warrant Executed in Gilbert Arenas Gun Case

Posted Jan 14th 2010 10:49AM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned the D.C. police -- with the help of cops in Arlington County, Virginia -- have executed a search warrant this morning at the home of Javaris Crittenton -- looking for the gun that may have been secretly wheeled out of the Washington Wizards locker room in a laundry basket.

Law enforcement tells us after Javaris and Gilbert Arenas drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve standoff, witnesses believe they saw Javaris throw his gun into a laundry basket and someone from the organization wheeled it out.

We know there was surveillance video of people coming out of the locker room and cops are looking to see if they can spot the person who was pushing the cart.

Nevertheless, cops convinced a judge they had probable cause to search Crittenton's home -- we don't know if they found the gun.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/14/warrant-executed-gilbert-arenas-gun-case-javaris-crtittenton-washington-wizards/#comments#ixzz0cbj4DL9k

vapacersfan
01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Per 980 AM:Arenas Charged With Felony

PacerDude
01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Yup ............. ESPN reports it - it's gotta be official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4826597

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas has been charged with a felony in connection with last month's locker room confrontation with a teammate.

Arenas, who was suspended indefinitely without pay by NBA commissioner David Stern last week, was charged with carrying a pistol without a license outside a home or business.

The charges were filed in D.C. Superior Court in an "information," a document that generally signals a plea deal.

His lawyer had no immediate comment.

Arenas, a three-time All-Star, had admitted to taking unloaded guns out of his locker in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate following a gambling dispute during a team flight.

Arenas has said he kept multiple guns in his locker at the Verizon Center. He claims he wanted to keep them away from his children and didn't know it was illegal.

The teammate involved in the spat, Javaris Crittenton, had authorities search his apartment for a semiautomatic handgun in connection with the incident on Thursday afternoon.

And I know I've mentioned this before somewhere, but I just have to repeat it - if you're a gun owner, it's your responsibility to know the laws, rules, regulations - local and state - of owning one (or more). This whole 'I didn't know' thing is simply laughable. What Arenas did is no different than what Plaxico did - except Arenas' gun didn't go off.

judicata
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Yup ............. ESPN reports it - it's gotta be official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4826597

And I know I've mentioned this before somewhere, but I just have to repeat it - if you're a gun owner, it's your responsibility to know the laws, rules, regulations - local and state - of owning one (or more). This whole 'I didn't know' thing is simply laughable. What Arenas did is no different than what Plaxico did - except Arenas' gun didn't go off.

"I didn't know it was illegal" is pretty much never a defense for any crime.

In Arena's case its more egregious than your average Joe, because he has near infinite resources, so he clearly had many other options for storage, and lots of access to quality legal counsel.

Hoop
01-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I know Arenas has been a idiot the way he has handled this entire fiasco and deserves a suspension, but why is Delonte West still playing?

The facts of the Arenas fiasco are constantly changing, it seems no one can say for sure what the hell happened. Most reports say his guns were never loaded and he had permits for them, although I guess not for DC.

Delonte West was caught in the DC area on his motorcycle "Mad Max Style" with 3 LOADED GUNS, A shotgun strapped on his back in a guitar case and reportedly enough ammo to start a small war. What the hell was he doing is anyone's guess. Why hasn't Stern done anything about that?

Kstat
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Because Delonte West didnt bring his guns on to NBA property?

People need to stop comparing this to other NBA gun incidents. Gilbert directly involved the NBA when he pulled his little stunt. That's unprecedented, to my knowledge.

tadscout
01-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Gilbert Arenas is in negotiations for a plea deal on gun charges (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/13/AR2010011304260.html)

FYI- If I remember right both Tinsley and Jackson were charged w/ Felony counts and they pleaded down too, thus also kept us from voiding their contracts... like it would keep the Wiz from voiding Gilbert's if he is able to plead down...

vapacersfan
01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I know Arenas has been a idiot the way he has handled this entire fiasco and deserves a suspension, but why is Delonte West still playing?

The facts of the Arenas fiasco are constantly changing, it seems no one can say for sure what the hell happened. Most reports say his guns were never loaded and he had permits for them, although I guess not for DC.

Delonte West was caught in the DC area on his motorcycle "Mad Max Style" with 3 LOADED GUNS, A shotgun strapped on his back in a guitar case and reportedly enough ammo to start a small war. What the hell was he doing is anyone's guess. Why hasn't Stern done anything about that?

You can not have a permit for a handgun in DC. It is illegal to posses a handgun in the District, period.

I am also curious to see what happens with his teammate, if any thing.

vapacersfan
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Gilbert plead guilt to one felony (they dropped the other 3)

I am not sure how this plays out in regards to voiding his contract.

BillS
01-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Stern has power in Arenas' case because the CBA specifically prohibits firearms in NBA properties.

The only power in West's case is what might be available upon conviction, and that is team-focused not league focused.

judicata
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
There is some good video coverage on espn.com. Essentially, the plea agreement is not particularly great for Arenas since the judge is not bound by its terms. He could get from 0 to 5 years, but sentencing won't be for another 8 weeks. If there was any doubt before, it really appears that his season is certainly over.

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm not up to speed on all this, so sorry if this is redundant.

But can someone provide an update as to whether or how Arenas's felony plea affects the possible Jamison trade to Cleveland (and, thus, the Murphy trade)?

Bball
01-15-2010, 10:49 PM
There is some good video coverage on espn.com. Essentially, the plea agreement is not particularly great for Arenas since the judge is not bound by its terms. He could get from 0 to 5 years, but sentencing won't be for another 8 weeks. If there was any doubt before, it really appears that his season is certainly over.

I doubt he would take a plea to a felony charge if the sentence wasn't already known... regardless of what is 'officially' possible.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but would a Judge even go against a prosecutor's sentence recommendation in a plea agreement or just refuse to accept the plea in a real world worst case scenario?

PacerDude
01-15-2010, 10:56 PM
But can someone provide an update as to whether or how Arenas's felony plea affects the possible Jamison trade to Cleveland (and, thus, the Murphy trade)?A guy's career, his ability to provide for his posse is on the line here and you're concerned about the potential Murphy trade ?? Have you no compassion ?? Poor guy could end up in prison and you're worried about shipping Murphy off. What have we become as a society ??

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 11:04 PM
A guy's career, his ability to provide for his posse is on the line here and you're concerned about the potential Murphy trade ?? Have you no compassion ?? Poor guy could end up in prison and you're worried about shipping Murphy off. What have we become as a society ??
So you're dry on info, I guess.

PacerDude
01-15-2010, 11:07 PM
So you're dry on info, I guess.Yeah, pretty much.

But mildly saturated on tequila. :cool:

Basketball Fan
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Gilbert Arenas -- More Trouble Over Guns

Originally posted Apr 29th 2010 12:39 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

Gilbert Arenas -- the Washington Wizards basketball player who pled guilty to felony gun charges in January -- has more gun problems ... TMZ has learned.

We've obtained a lawsuit filed against Arenas by Tactical Operations -- a company that sells high-end guns.

According to the lawsuit, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Arenas bought five custom Beretta pistols with five silencers in February of 2006. Arenas paid for the guns, BUT....

Tactical Operations claims Arenas never took possession of the weapons -- and owes the company over $70,000 in storage fees and interest.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0mXS26jwF

judicata
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Wow those damages seem out of whack. $70k for 4 years of keeping 5 guns? I need to get in toe "keeping guns for rich people" business.