PDA

View Full Version : Hoopsworld on Hibbert

90'sNBARocked
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?status=&CHAT_TOPICS_ID=685

Eric P in Naptown:
Joel, Do you see Roy Hibbert becoming an above average Center at some point in his career? Wouldn't he do much better in a half court system? Obie is killing him!

Joel Brigham:
Actually yeah, I do see him being a great center is a slowdown system. He's got a decent set of offensive skills, but he's a great shot blocker and could be a much better rebounder if he didn't have to play in transition so much. I was just talking to another writer at the Bulls/Pacers game the other night about how I really didn't think Hibbert would amount to much when he first came out, but he's shown a lot this season to change my mind. Now, Hasheem Thabeet is hopeless in my opinion, and I when I watch him versus Hibbert I see two totally different guys. Hibbert's going to be absolutely fine. I'm liking him more and more every time I watch him.

Gee Mr Obrien, maybe you dont have it right.

Just maybe you CAN win with a low post game as a focal point. :eek::eek:

Speed
12-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I think there may be hope. Obie talked the other day about trying to get Roy 17-18 shots. I can't remember which game now, but it was in his pregame interview. Then last night he acknowledge that Roy was scoring well down there, but they had to try to catch up so they had to go up tempo and could go to him down there as much.

Look, Roy will get down there and work, you can see a pep in his step when he gets to post up. It's not like he's not willing and it's not like he's not overall effective.

I think what you have to live with is the 2 or 3 or 4 really horrible plays he gives you a game and let him do the positive things he brings. Another words put him in a position to suceed

I can see Roy starting to build some momentum/confidence again. It's kinda nice, but I think Obie may be starting to use him right, too.

Examples of the horrible the last two nights

-Roy took the ball out of bounds after a made basket and handed it to the other team.
-Roy shoots an airball in the low post, actually a couple of times.

Huge positives
-someone like Noah struggled mightily against him. Noah is a very good low post defender too. He basically had to foul him to stop him.

So Roy's failures are a coaches nightmare, just bonehead plays, but if you pull him you miss out on some really good stuff.

travmil
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
So Roy's failures are a coaches nightmare, just bonehead plays, but if you pull him you miss out on some really good stuff.

I agree with this last part, but would like to point out that those bad things will likely disappear with time and the stuff that is already good now has the potential to get better.

Speed
12-31-2009, 02:08 PM
I agree with this last part, but would like to point out that those bad things will likely disappear with time and the stuff that is already good now has the potential to get better.

I agree, the bonehead things will go away. It's the defensive struggles that really concern me. You just can keep getting beat by Kendrick Perkins and giving up career nights to Andrew Bogut.

He's basically rendered useless too, if Obie doesn't get him in a position to suceed, which means 15 low post shot attempts on nights he's got it going. If you aren't going to do that, then just don't play him.

It'd be like putting Dale Davis in a game and saying, we'd like for you to shoot 3's and not rebound or play defense, please. What's the point. ;)

theboyjwo
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd still like to see him be able to get the ball and immediate make a move, instead of holding the ball and waiting for everyone to clear out. You gotta be able to operate in traffice if you are going to be a dominate low post threat.

90'sNBARocked
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Speed;936843]I think there may be hope. Obie talked the other day about trying to get Roy 17-18 shots. I can't remember which game now, but it was in his pregame interview. Then last night he acknowledge that Roy was scoring well down there, but they had to try to catch up so they had to go up tempo and could go to him down there as much.

True that, but Obie also said "Roy was doing some good things last night but we can't win playing a slow , feed the ball down low post game"

or something to that effect :cry:

Speed
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
[quote=Speed;936843]I think there may be hope. Obie talked the other day about trying to get Roy 17-18 shots. I can't remember which game now, but it was in his pregame interview. Then last night he acknowledge that Roy was scoring well down there, but they had to try to catch up so they had to go up tempo and could go to him down there as much.

True that, but Obie also said "Roy was doing some good things last night but we can't win playing a slow , feed the ball down low post game"

or something to that effect :cry:

I read it too, online it sounded like he was saying, in general, we can't win that way, so I originally thought the same thing. But the full quote, in print, made it sound more like, in this game we couldn't play that way in the 4th quarter because they were so far behind.

I get really frustrated sometimes with the quality of editing on articles anymore, in general. I blame the Internet machines and Al Gore for inventing them.

pacergod2
12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Y ou have to understand that Bogut and Perkins are probably both better than you give them credit for and they are both BIG BODY centers who Hibbert will struggle with at this point in his career. He needs more work against those big bodied players in game, because he is not getting that in practice. I think we need to play Hibbert more because we will dictate to the other teams our offensive possessions and make them guard Hibbert. Double teams, or giving up points to the big man? It forces the action for the other team defensively. It will open up more spacing for our other players who could all benefit from it. Especially opening up passing lanes for Dun and spacing for Rush to fill cutting, and Ford on dribble penetration. Hibbert needs to play no matter what the match-up IMO. If we don't get him that ball on offense, we can't take advantage of the other team where we have an advantage. If Stoudemire scores 26, hopefully Hibbert can offset that with 20 points of his own by taking advantage of Stoudemire's defense on the other end. We need to prioritize the development of Hibbert.

count55
12-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Exactly how many times have you seen Hibbert defeat a double team?

Infinite MAN_force
12-31-2009, 03:02 PM

Considering Roy's passing skills, isn't drawing a double team the entire point? This implies someone is open and can be passed to. Why should he ever have to beat the double team?

count55
12-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Considering Roy's passing skills, isn't drawing a double team the entire point? This implies someone is open and can be passed to. Why should he ever have to beat the double team?

Defeating the double team is not limited to shooting or scoring over it. It includes passing out of it for scores or re-sets.

While I agree that Roy is capable of making some very nice passes, he is not a good passer yet. He's still far too indecisive.

More to the point, show me the track record that shows he's going to command a double team against most teams.

What's being proposed by some here is that we basically center an offense around a second year guy who has managed to score 20 points or more 3 times in his 101 career games.

He is a guy who is not physically strong and can be bullied off the block by stronger players. He is neither quick nor decisive at this point in time, and struggles against smaller, quicker players, as well. He's not adept at drawing fouls getting to the line and putting the other team in foul trouble.

He plays on a team that has demonstrated that they cannot hit shots from the outside, and lacks any real quality passers capable of feeding the post.

I think Roy is progressing nicely, and I think he will learn these things over time.

However, I think if you try to pound the ball down to him as the primary option, then this already easy-to-guard team even easier to guard. The defenses will constrict even further, and he will basically be playing with opposing guards and wings in his lap for the entire game.

Essentially, you're putting him in a position to fail to no good end.

BillS
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
While I agree that Roy is capable of making some very nice passes, he is not a good passer yet. He's still far too indecisive.

:ding:

I think when JOB says "slow" in this case, he isn't talking about half-court vs. transition, he is talking about the fact that Roy takes forever to decide what to do if his expected action is cut off.

gummy
12-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Obie talked the other day about trying to get Roy 17-18 shots.

I gotta say, given the wide gulf between things Obie says and things Obie does this season this scares the crap out of me. Makes me wonder if Hibbert is going to get like 5-10 shots now. :laugh:

pacergod2
12-31-2009, 04:08 PM
When have we ever seen him be the focus of our offense? If he doesn't command a double team, we will find this out. We will also know if he can handle passing out of that double team as well. When have we seen our offense create more than perimeter passing and ineffective penetration from the top of the key?

pacergod2
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
I think the production of our team at this point forces us to use Hibbert, whether he is ready or not. Count... great post. I just disagree that he will be put in a position to fail... I think you're right with everything you said... I just think he will be able to grow to succeed. Maybe I am just optimistic, however. I don't think we have much else to go on at this point. We need to start moving forward.

Peck
12-31-2009, 04:44 PM
What's being proposed by some here is that we basically center an offense around a second year guy who has managed to score 20 points or more 3 times in his 101 career games.

The alternative is?

And how has that worked out for us?

BTW I am not advocating just giving the ball to Roy, I am however advocating a more methodical aproach and if that means we go to 60% half court sets that end up in the post (Roy or whoever) then I'm fine with it.

imawhat
12-31-2009, 04:52 PM

Multiple. He did it last night against the Grizzlies and Brandon Rush wound up with a wide open three.

He gets doubled just about every game, but it looks like the double is a result of teams trying to capitalize on his slow decision-making (i.e. send someone in to dig the ball out since he'll be holding for a few seconds) rather than him being unstoppable.

Roy, right now, is a legit low post threat. He's scored 20 3 times ONLY because of our offense; it's nearly impossible to hit that number when you're getting 10 or fewer touches a night. Most nights he gets 5 or less. We have plenty of capable passers to get the ball into the post. Tyler gets the ball into the post regularly. The big difference between Tyler and Roy is that Tyler is assertive about receiving the ball.

Roy needs to learn how to establish position early and get his hands up. Brooke Lopez does exactly what Roy should do, which is pick a pre-determined spot in the low post and beat your defender to that spot in transition. I think it'd be great if Roy watched a lot of Lopez footage so he can pick it up. Until then, it'd be nice for O'Brien to assure that Roy gets 17-18 touches by calling plays.

owl
12-31-2009, 05:09 PM

As one of the worst shooting teams in the league it becomes very difficult to defeat the
double team despite a good pass.

count55
12-31-2009, 05:09 PM
As one of the worst shooting teams in the league it becomes very difficult to defeat the

Agreed.

pacergod2
12-31-2009, 05:25 PM

Are we such a bad shooting team for taking unnecessary shots and getting terrible, defended looks, because of the way our offense runs as of now? Might we be better shooters with better looks that are in the flow of an offense? I say tear the MF down and see what we can do adjusting our offense to our younger players, which is NOT what is (or has been) happening. Our offense had been adpated to the veteran players we were giving more minutes to. It goes for a lot more than Roy. Rush needs to work screens and be in position to catch a decent pass, instead of ball domination at the top. AJ Price needs to be able to show what leadership skills he has as a young PG. McRoberts needs to be able to match up athletically with the other athletic big men in this league and see what he can do by playing through some mistakes. I guess I am ranting a bit, but the mentality has got to change now that we are absolutely forced to go in a new direction, IMO. It is time and I think it starts with an offense centered around your offensively capable young big man. Maybe the players like Price and McRoberts will bring a spark to the team. We may not win, but they will be more likely to give the desired effort. I want to see what they will give. I want to see what an offense that is centered around Hibbert can do. We are capable of passing the ball well. Why not apply it in a different form to see if it is more effective than what we are seeing? You win games in this league in the half court. Lets see what we've got. I want to make sure Hibbert can or cannot be our foundation in the post.

PacerDude
12-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Obie talked the other day about trying to get Roy 17-18 shots. Per game or the rest of the season ??

ksuttonjr76
01-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Roy Hibbert has all the potential to be a great (not good) center. The Hibbert that I see is the one who battles for position and calls for the ball on every possession. The Hibbert that I see is one who claps enthusiastically when he makes a good pass for the score or scores himself. The Hibbert that I see is the one who hustles and battles for the offensive board. Man, I LOVE when Hibbert gets excited downlow on good plays, because he makes he get excited about the team's future. Honest to god truth, he's one of the reasons while I watch the Pacers. I appreciate when the big man puts in work. In a REAL halfcourt game of basketball, Hibbert is the real deal. JOB needs to go ahead and design plays for Hibbert to get the ball. Most championships are won with a good inside/outside game, and Hibbert has all the skills to be the center of future. I can't think of the last team that won only jumpshots.

Thesterovic
01-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Per game or the rest of the season ??

Rest of his career.

jeffg-body
01-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I have to agree that Hibby will be fine. It usually takes a good five years to develop a center and Roy has improved drastically from last year to this year. He needs to continue to strengthen his body and work on that cardio. If he can continue to put the effort in the gym and in the weight room, I think he will be ok.

cordobes
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I disagree with the OP about Thabeet. I've been positively impressed with Thabeet, considering the expectations I had for him after his last season in college. His shot blocking is quite impressive, how athletic and quick he is at coming over from the weakside and altering a shot at the final moment.

Midcoasted
01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Anyone see what Hibbert is doing to the Magic tonight. He even stuffed Howard for a block. He is the future.

IndyProdigy
01-06-2010, 03:50 AM
He tore dwight howard up tonight. i went to the game. he showed great range and good jumper and was disciplined with his fouls, which i thought most impressive. cuz he was able to stay in the game. he made some great passes to cutters down the lane, he showed ALOT of versatility. the jumbotron did a side by side pic of him at G'TOWN and one at the Pacers. he has made such a HUGE step its not even funny.

he made dwight howard soooo frustrated it was quite funny to watch. at times HIBBERT, deemed one of the slowest guys in the NBA at times, left dwight howard and marcin gortat in the tracks.

judicata
01-06-2010, 04:59 AM
I disagree with the OP about Thabeet. I've been positively impressed with Thabeet, considering the expectations I had for him after his last season in college. His shot blocking is quite impressive, how athletic and quick he is at coming over from the weakside and altering a shot at the final moment.

I agree, and the statistics are positive on this as well. In about 10 minutes, Thabeet is averaging over one block per game. That is pretty damn good. You have to be somewhat skeptical because ofthe way statistics are skewed at low samples, but he's been much better than I would have guessed, and I think he deserves more minutes. (There may be good reasons why he gets low minutes, I have only actually watched the kid a handful of times.)

To keep things in perspective, however, Thabeet was taken second. Given the number of impressive players taken lower than him that are producing at a much higher rate, he's still a bust in the short term. But you don't draft 7 footers for the short term anyway, so I think he's alright. I'm still low on the kid, but he's got a punchers chance, and that is way more than most gave him, including myself.

IndyPacer
01-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Anyone see what Hibbert is doing to the Magic tonight. He even stuffed Howard for a block. He is the future.

I guess this is what happens when you have a guy with a relentless work ethic and desire to improve. Surely this will force JOB to adjust his strategy to focus more on Hibbert's strengths. At least I hope so.

I'm really happy to see Hibbert continue to show improvements. I was so incredibly disappointed in the way David Harrison turned out. There's so much emphasis on those gym drills and tests before the draft regarding a player's potential, but look at what a stunning difference we see just attitude and work ethic can have on potential. The contrast between those two is incredible.

Speed
01-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm very happy that they went through Roy extensively in the low post, it's what we've been talking about for months now. It needs to continue.

McKeyFan
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm very happy that they went through Roy extensively in the low post, it's what we've been talking about for months now. It needs to continue.

Would you be willing to coach the Pacers, Speed?

Do you have some kind of degree in communications or organizational behavior or chaos theory that would qualify you?

Speed
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Would you be willing to coach the Pacers, Speed?

Do you have some kind of degree in communications or organizational behavior or chaos theory that would qualify you?

Absolutely, I'll need some assistants, though. You in?

Lance George
01-06-2010, 09:16 AM
It's good to see Roy's funk is over with and he's back to his early season form of looking like a future top-5 center.

McKeyFan
01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Absolutely, I'll need some assistants, though. You in?

Yes. Bobby Knight is my father-in-law. Let's kick a$$.

:D

Anthem
01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
the jumbotron did a side by side pic of him at G'TOWN and one at the Pacers. he has made such a HUGE step its not even funny.
I'd like to see this... anybody have the ability to throw one together?

McKeyFan
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
It's good to see Roy's funk is over with and he's back to his early season form of looking like a future top-5 center.

Roy's funk is called Murphy and Foster. He's about to get funky again.

count55
01-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd like to see this... anybody have the ability to throw one together?

I'm sure someone else could do better.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/ncaa_tourney/2008/uploaded_images/03roy-706681.jpghttp://www.sculu.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/ad326_Hibbert-Final-9.jpg

Hicks
01-06-2010, 11:14 AM
As soon as he grows that hair out again we have a 7'4" center. ;)

PacerGuy
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Or he could go "Darnell Hillman" & say "Taste It, Yao!"

Speed
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes. Bobby Knight is my father-in-law. Let's kick a$$.

:D

Really?

count55
01-06-2010, 12:29 PM

We can then call him "Fletch."

Since86
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
A few years ago, GTown came to Muncie to play Ball State. (It was supposed to be brother against brother, but Ronnie Thompson didn't need two years to completely ruin the program. ANYWAYS.....)

Roy wasn't really all that big of a presence. Tall wise, he was, but sheer phsyical size was severly lacking. I read the ESPN recap of last nights game while I was watching the rebroadcast on FSN and it said he had bulked up to 278lb.

McKeyFan
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Really?

No.

It was Jack Ramsey satire.

IndyPacer
01-07-2010, 05:37 AM

I think being a top 5 center is indeed possible for Hibbert, especially with the right coach. If he is able to play in a way that suits his strengths, he's going to be extremely difficult to control. I'd also like to see a quicker PF added to help deal with the faster bigmen defensively, such as Favors or Ed Davis. Tyler would be an awesome, energetic guy off the bench in that rotation. I'd feel great about the Pacers' future regarding the inside positions if we had something like that setup. If we got Favors or Ed Davis, that would be a great rotation of bigs for the future for a very reasonable price, too.