PDA

View Full Version : Et tu, Tattoo?

BostonConnection
07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Getting tattoos is obviously much more common nowdays than it once was - remember when Dennis Rodman was considered strange for having so many tattoos, now it's rare to find the NBA player who doesn't have any. It also seems that at least 25% of everyone under 30 seems to have at least one as well.

Now while I personally don't have any tattoos, it doesn't bother me that other guys have them. However, this picture of Angelina Jolie getting yet another tattoo (a large picture of a tiger) on a body that I consider to be just fine the way it is :eyebrow: without any extra skin 'decorations' made me wonder when enough is enough:

http://member.compuserve.com/fotosrch/3/20040709BAN05DR.jpg

So naturally, this leads to the following questions:
Do you have any tattoos, and if so, how many and of what?

If you don't have any tattoos now, do you think you would ever have it done in the future?

Does your significant other (wife, girlfriend, both ;) ) have any tattoos? Would it bother you at all if a girl you met on a blind date had a large number of tattoos on her body? (And no, I don't mean if the girl was Angelina Jolie :laugh: )

Hey, we have to have something off-beat to discuss during these summer months as we're waiting for trades and FA signings to happen! (Where's Twes and PFFL when you need them...)

Stryder
07-13-2004, 02:26 PM
I have two tattoos.

A celtic sun on my right upper bicep.

A Norse mythological symbol (Odin's horn) on my upper left bicep.

My wife doesn't have any, but it wouldn't bother me if she wanted to get one as long as it was discrete (as are mine).

Zesty
07-13-2004, 02:30 PM
I've got a "tribal" design on my right arm that I got on my 18th birthday (courtesy of my dad). As long as I am not wearing a sleevless shirt, you can't see it. I'll put up a pic of it later.

My fiancee doesn't have any, but I wouldn't mind if she did as long as they were easily hidden.

Doug
07-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Nope. I don't have any.

I guess I'm pretty much neutral on them. Don't like them, but I don't look at somebody funny 'cause they have one. Different strokes for different folks.

Like Jimmy says "It's just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling".

MagicRat
07-13-2004, 10:27 PM
None for me or the Mrs. (or the two kids).

Never really considered getting one and don't have any plans to.

I'd agree that Angelina didn't need any extra decoration and should've stopped before the tiger.....but I'm sure there are plenty who think otherwise......

sweabs
07-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Angelina can do whatever she wants :drool:

Zesty
07-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Here's my "tat" as the kids like to say.

http://home.comcast.net/~zesty/images/tattoo.jpg

Will Galen
07-14-2004, 07:42 AM
No!
No!
No!
Yes! I've seen some very beautiful girls with tattoos. It's like painting a rose to me!

BostonConnection
07-14-2004, 09:58 PM
I've seen some very beautiful girls with tattoos. It's like painting a rose to me!

*thinks to himself of lewd comment involving 'tulips'...* :o ;) :innocent:

MagicRat
07-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Et tu, Tattoo?

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/EC/10/ICantBelieveItsALawFirm/6/17.jpg

ChicagoJ
07-15-2004, 11:48 AM
None for me. I pass out when every time I have to get a shot. There's no way I could endure "artwork". Although, like many "children of the eighties", I had my ear pierced in college. :blush:

Every time my wife is out with her friends, I jokingly ask her if they are all going to the tattoo parlor. She doesn't find it funny. Oh well.

Zesty
07-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Et tu, Tattoo?

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/EC/10/ICantBelieveItsALawFirm/6/17.jpg

When I first read the title of this thread, I wondered if it was going to be related to Fantasy Island. I wonder if Hervé Villechaize has any tats. :confused:

kerosene
07-16-2004, 02:35 AM
I have none personally. There have a few that I've fallen in and out of love with getting but didn't because I think if you're going to live with it the rest of your life it should be good "in some way".

My gf however, is absolutely covered. You'd have to be blind not to notice. I guess you can get away with that in California though.

Last time a friend of mine was visiting from Indiana we almost went for matching ones with another friend from Indiana who lives here. Maybe this summer, it would be a damn cool tat.

btw, the aforementioned friend who lives here has the Indiana torch and stars inked on the inside of his left forearm. Nice...

Stryder
09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
I got another tattoo yesterday.

A variation of the Kryptonian "S" symbol/Superman insignia on my upper right scapular region. It is in color; my other two are black ink.

Since86
09-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't have any, at the moment.

I'm going to end up getting my last name across my shoulders in Old English. That's the only one I want.

Thank God my gf doesn't have any. For some reason I'm not a big fan of women having any, even if they're supposed to be sexy. Just aint my thing.

Los Angeles
09-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I have 6 tattos, five of which are about quarter to half dollar size. All are linear and black. four of them are alchemical symbols for gold, silver, copper and iron. they are on my left forearm, right forearm, outside my right calf and outside my left calf respectively. Another is two interlocking rings (the ancient and current symbol for marriage). It is on my chest, above my heart (awwwwww).

My larger tatoo is a silhouette map of the finger lakes on my left upper arm. Again, just black.

My next piece will be my largest. It will be a black silhouette of the Great Lakes, which will be on my right upperarm and shoulder/back.

Kat
09-07-2005, 04:26 PM
No tattoos for me. I like 'em well enough, though. I just get edgy whenever I think of something permanent. What if it sags? What if I grow to dislike it? Etc. Overall, though, I think they're damn sexy on either gender. I do think if you're going to get more than one, they should work with each other and not be a jarring jumble of completely different styles, colors, etc.

travmil
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
I always ask myself why I would want a tattoo. It always ends up that it's a personal thing, to be different, unique. Then I always end up saying to myself that since EVERYONE has one, having none is indeed unique.

Jeff Foster
09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I've seriously thought about getting a Pacers logo and Republican elephant but I don't think I'm a tattoo type of person

Stryder
09-08-2005, 07:34 AM
I always ask myself why I would want a tattoo. It always ends up that it's a personal thing, to be different, unique. Then I always end up saying to myself that since EVERYONE has one, having none is indeed unique.

No. People that have no tattoos are still the majority.

Skaut_Ech
09-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I've got a tattoo that says "Swan", except when my wife is around, then it says "Saskatchewan."

Thank you, folks. I'll be here all week and remember to tip your waitresses.

MagicRat
09-08-2005, 10:01 AM
I've got a tattoo that says "Swan", except when my wife is around, then it says "Saskatchewan."

Thank you, folks. I'll be here all week and remember to tip your waitresses.

Harmonica will love that one. He's all about the d*** jokes............:thumbsup:

Suaveness
09-08-2005, 10:39 AM
It's Higgins, sir.

What?

My name, it's Higgins.

What IS IT?

Tattoo....

Skaut_Ech
09-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Ah, but the BEST quote EVER from Family Guys is :

Stewie Griffin Yes, do you like cleaning my doodie, Brian? Say it.
Stewie Griffin Say, "I like cleaning your doodie, Stewie."
Stewie Griffin Ha! Don't forget the taint.

LMAO!!! I'm rolling just thinking about it again.

(Sorry about that little divergence. Now back to tattoos and dick jokes from Harmonica..)

Suaveness
09-08-2005, 01:38 PM
While we are talking about best family guy quotes...

You know mother, life is like a box of chocolotes.
Your life, however, is a box of active grenades!
You have two choices...either return my mind control device....or be destroyed!

Zesty
09-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Quagmire: "I felt guilty once, but she woke up halfway thru."

Stryder
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I am getting another tattoo in about a month.

This time, it is my surname in Kryptonian, on my right calf.

Twes
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't have any tattoo's.

But I do get excited when planes arrive on the island.

:cool:

(where are BostonConnection and PFFL when you need them)

pacers31tc
09-11-2006, 09:45 PM
1st - a really big tribal, it goes all the way across my lower back (from Little Rock)

2nd - Egyptian Pharoah Horemheb, and Goddess Hathor, from Horemheb's burial chamber wall. Left side of my back, 2-D Egyptian art. This one actually got infected (Staph) and I ended up getting IV Vancomycin in the hospital for a few days. This is also my only tattoo in color. (also done in Little Rock)

3rd - a sparrow in flight on my left shoulderblade, with the text "not one of the these falls to the ground without their Father's knowledge" referring to the fact that God knows me since He even knows what happens to the birds (Memphis)

4th - the Eye of Horus on my right shoulderblade, kind of a good luck symbol, if you will (done in Minneapolis)

I personally feel tattoos are an excellent way to decorate your body, and unless you're just terrified of needles I'd go for it, if you're thinking about it, that is. My biggest one took over 4 hours and I was exhausted afterward, but it was worth it.

_PD_
09-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Well you guys have encouraged me.
Next week I'm going for a map of Indiana on my back,
with the town names in Cardassian.

Stryder
09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Well you guys have encouraged me.
Next week I'm going for a map of Indiana on my back,
with the town names in Cardassian.

Well, okay, buddy...

Isaac
09-12-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm getting a Pacers tattoo soon, I just can't decide where.

I already have a very small white sox logo on my leg but I think I'm going to cover that up with something cooler, and get a bigger logo somewhere else.

N8R
09-12-2006, 03:09 PM
No tattoos yet

I would like to get something done in the future but I can never decide on what. I think about it too much. I really like the design that Ben Harper has on his arms and back. I would consider something like that but I think it would be real expensive.

We will see though