PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Suspended For Tonight's Game

obnoxiousmodesty
02-02-2004, 04:58 PM
WISH-TV just reported that Shaquille O'Neal has been suspended one game for his outburst yesterday.... Wow.

MSA2CF
02-02-2004, 05:00 PM
BOOM BABY!

This game will be very interesting without the big men for both teams...

PACERS GONNA WIN!!!

kerosene
02-02-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm shocked.
I was sure he would only recieve a fine.

Perhaps is "I don't give a ****" comment after being told they were live got him the suspension.

Kstat
02-02-2004, 05:05 PM
The funny thing is he apologized too.

I wonder if he'll appeal, and be able to play tonight? He most CERTAINLY should be able to get that rescinded.

This is the most ludicrous suspension in the history of the NBA. No doubt.

kerosene
The folks at Lakers Ground have heard it on talk radio also.
I haven't seen a link yet.

zxc
Don't see anything about this elsewhere yet. Would be very suprising if he was. Good news for us though if so. No excuse to lose even without JO.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?topic=54916&forum=1&22

There is something I guess.

DisplacedKnick
02-02-2004, 05:07 PM
WOW! Shaq just became an example. I agree - must've been the follow-up line. Lots of folks, including coaches, have "slipped up" in press conferences.

rabid
02-02-2004, 05:07 PM

I think Kstat is really Bill Walton in disguise :laugh:

Slick Pinkham
02-02-2004, 05:08 PM

I wonder if he'll appeal, and be able to play tonight? He most CERTAINLY should be able to get that rescinded.

Lots of coaches have been suspended for openly criticizing officials, and with lots gentler language.

I'm not saying it's entirely justified, just that it wouldn't be surprising, at least to me.

Unclebuck
02-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes ! ! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kstat
02-02-2004, 05:19 PM
-No JO

-No Shaq

-No Kobe

-No Karl Malone

We have Gary Payton vs. Ron Artest. Wow. :unimpressed:

Kstat
02-02-2004, 05:22 PM
We have the Primoz vs Medvedenko show.... :laugh:

Unclebuck
02-02-2004, 05:24 PM
-No JO

-No Shaq

-No Kobe

-No Karl Malone

We have Gary Payton vs. Ron Artest. Wow. :unimpressed:

If the Pacers win I don't care if all we have is Brewer and Fisher

Lakers will be pissed about all this, so they will play inspired ball tonight

Hicks
02-02-2004, 05:25 PM
That just made my day.

Of course, this still doesn't guaruntee a win, but still.

This game was never going to be a test of the best teams as soon as Malone was hurt beyond this game, and Kobe was out.

Then JO and Shaq drop out for different reasons.

Now all it means to me is a way to get a season-series tie with them. You never know, it could mean the difference between home court or not in the Finals (if we get there).

Hicks
02-02-2004, 05:25 PM

Yeah, this game should still be a good one because both teams will be really up for it.

Unclebuck
02-02-2004, 05:27 PM

Yeah, this game should still be a good one because both teams will be really up for it.

I would rather play a pissed Lakers team without Shaq, then a happy Laker team with Shaq

able
02-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Just to make sure you don't know more then I do, JO is said to be "doubtfull"
this does not mean it is sure he is not playing, knowing JO there are 2 games, today and tomorrow, that are important to the P's AND to HIM.

I would be surprised if he was not suited up at game time.

Also, "normally" the league releases suspensions statements around 1 hour before gametime, earliest I hav enoticed this year was 5 PM EST and as far as I know it's not that time yet :)

:stupid:

This does however not mean I'm not hoping with ya ;p
besides that, I think he deserves it, people have definitely been suspended for less.

dipperdunk
02-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Shaq should appeal it that will give the NBA a couple of days to think about it then if they still decide on suspending him he can just sit out Thursdays game. I'm just being objective I don't even know who they play Thursday night, honestly I don't. :D

Slick Pinkham
02-02-2004, 05:46 PM
still no links that I can find- espn, nba.com, realgm etc, should have something on this by now if true.

This Thomas is becoming a doubter.

Slick Pinkham
02-02-2004, 05:47 PM
dipperdunk - I LOVE that Barkley quote on Cassell-- I missed that one, I guess.

"Now that Sam Cassell is done with his role in Lord Of The Rings he can get back to being an all-star caliber player." - Charles Barkley

zxc
02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Bottom line on ESPNews says he is supsended now so guess it is true.

Hicks
02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Bottom line on ESPNews says he is supsended now so guess it is true.

:applaud:

able
02-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Shaq Suspended for One Game
NEW YORK, Feb. 2 - Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal has been suspended one game without pay for using obscene language and publicly criticizing the game officials during a live postgame interview, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

The incident occurred following the Lakers' 84-83 win on the road over the Toronto Raptors on Sunday, Feb. 1. O'Neal will miss the Lakers' next game, tonight at Indiana.

from www.nba.com

Hicks
02-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Direct link to what able posted:

http://www.nba.com/news/shaq_040202.html

Slick Pinkham
02-02-2004, 05:59 PM
how could I have doubted!

:blush:

:dance2:

beast23
02-02-2004, 06:00 PM

I disagree.

Shaq was interviewed immediately at the conclusion of a televised game. Any moron in a basketball uniform would have a pretty good idea that there was a good chance his interview was being carried live.

You don't criticize the officiating in a live interview, you don't use the "F" word and you don't act noncaring and belligerent when someone tries to help you cover your butt by reminding you that the telecast is live.

I think he got exactly what he deserved.

I just wish he would have been suspended for some other game. I always look forward to playing against Shaq to help gauge the toughness of our interior game, with or without Jermaine.

indygeezer
Sold out game...No JO...no Shaq, no, Karl or Kobe...and it's a Monday night

(bet there will be more than a few "no shows" and tix available.

Hoop
Best thing about this is, all the stupid fans that only seem to come to only Lakers games will be disappointed. Most of them that come every year couldn't even name 2 guys on the Lakers team besides Shaq and Kobe. I hate when we play the Lakers, the crowd roots for the Pacer as long as they have the lead, then if the Lakers take the lead a lot of them jump ship. That doesn't happen with other teams we play.

beast23
02-02-2004, 06:03 PM
The atmosphere will be more like a preseason game than a regular season game.

Now with Shaq out, I think the Pacers will probably rest JO if there are any lingering affects from his neck strain at all.

I would think the remaining Lakers would have to play pretty inspired ball in order to stay close tonight, especially if JO is available.

Kstat
02-02-2004, 06:13 PM
The Lakers still have a FEW things going for them:

-Slava Medvedenko has become a real player in Malone's absence.

-Devan George has become a very good shooter.

-Rick Fox is back and healthy.

-They still have Gary Payton.

Without JO, the Pacers should NOT be taking this game for granted. LA is used to playing shorthanded by now.

Hicks
02-02-2004, 06:20 PM
The Lakers still have a FEW things going for them:

-Slava Medvedenko has become a real player in Malone's absence.

-Devan George has become a very good shooter.

-Rick Fox is back and healthy.

Without JO, the Pacers should NOT be taking this game for granted. LA is used to playing shorthanded by now.

Exactly. This will be nothing like a preseason game atmosphere.

Bball
02-02-2004, 06:52 PM
http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/ACN3034533.htm

Shaq suspended for one game

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal was suspended for one game without pay by the league on Monday for using obscene language and publicly criticizing game officials during a live postgame interview.

The incident occurred following the Lakers' 84-83 win at Toronto on Sunday. O'Neal will miss Monday's contest at Indiana.

In 30 games this season, O'Neal is averaging 20.2 points and 11.1 rebounds per contest.

02/02 17:03:25 ET

-Bball

ABADays
02-02-2004, 06:53 PM
I DO feel sorry for the families that may have spent a bunch on this game and maybe it's their only one of the year. We can take it. It could be pretty disappointing to them.

Bball
02-02-2004, 06:57 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7057194
"... O'Neal will serve the suspension Monday night, sitting out a game against the Eastern Conference-leading Indiana Pacers. It will cost him nearly $295,000...."

Other links:
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2108362
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/2004-02-02-oneal-suspension_x.htm
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/02/02/sports1722EST0341.DTL
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1725490

I think the doubters can hop off the fence....

-Bball

ChicagoJ
02-02-2004, 06:59 PM

Those are the two things that scare me about this game.

Stryder
02-02-2004, 07:28 PM
="beast23Shaq was interviewed immediately at the conclusion of a televised game. Any moron in a basketball uniform would have a pretty good idea that there was a good chance his interview was being carried live.

You don't criticize the officiating in a live interview, you don't use the "F" word and you don't act noncaring and belligerent when someone tries to help you cover your butt by reminding you that the telecast is live.

I think he got exactly what he deserved.

Exactly.