PDA

View Full Version : Appears Jamaal Crawford is headed to Knicks

Unclebuck
07-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Crawford nearly is a Knick

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

July 9, 2004, 8:51 PM CDT

After a 30-minute phone conversation with Knicks President Isiah Thomas on Friday, the excitement in Jamal Crawford's voice was palpable.

And on a day when all parties reported progress on sign-and-trade talks, Thomas is poised to land his targeted goal.

"It'd be bittersweet if I left because I love Chicago," Crawford said. "But playing for Isiah and the Knicks would be exciting."

Agent Aaron Goodwin has taken a more active role in the negotiations, which could conclude soon. Thomas is expected to fly to Seattle early next week for a meeting with Crawford.

According to league sources, a nine-player deal involving Shandon Anderson, Moochie Norris and three expiring contracts for Crawford, Jerome Williams, Eddie Robinson and Chris Jefferies was discussed early Friday.

Later, a smaller version of Anderson, Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington and Frank Williams for Crawford, Robinson and Williams surfaced.

In either deal, Crawford could make $57 million over six years or $70 million over seven.

As was the case when talks with Toronto for Jalen Rose dragged on last November, Thomas and Bulls general manager John Paxson are taking a while to find the right combination of names. But few believe some trade won't happen.

"We're trying to do something acceptable for both sides," Paxson said. "We're not trying to have an unhappy Jamal on our hands."

The Bulls are aware Crawford is the best talent in the talks, which makes future financial flexibility paramount to the deal. The inflated free-agent market has affected the Bulls' budget of about $5 million to re-sign Crawford.

Thomas told Crawford he would be excited to see him in a Knicks uniform. He may get his chance soon.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-040709bulls,1,2050307.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

SkipperZ
07-10-2004, 11:58 AM
wow isiah is taking on BOTH of the bulls' bad contracts, and probably sighnign crawford to a 6 year one...

that team is loaded with bad contracts now

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I'd be happy with the second of those deals. Heck, if we can get rid of Shandon and his deal I'd do cartwheels.

I don't mind getting JYD though E-Robb's pretty much useless.

Kind of a steal for us since we don't give up anything. Doesn't help our cap situation but it doesn't really hurt it either - JYD's deal runs out when AH's does which would be our first opportunity to do anything anyway. Shandon's deal is worse than either's.

Kegboy
07-10-2004, 01:45 PM
First off all, Eddie's only got two years left (at 6.7 and 7.3, respectively) and JYD's got three (at 5.6, 6.1, and 6.4). Anderson and Norris each have three years left (7.3, 7.9, and 8.5; 3.9, 4.2, and 4.6), so even with Robinson being a complete dead weight, NY comes out ahead IMO.

So, Crawford's gonna be their 3rd guard, I assume? Seems like a lot of trouble to me, if you're not gonna start him. However, if you can get rid of Anderson's Austin-esque contract, I say do it.

Rim's right, it's a steal for NY.

Anthem
07-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty interesting set of moves. I'm curious to see how it ends up.

What do the Bulls get out of this? Williams? Is anybody else a net positive?

SpADeD
07-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Mutumbo.;)

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty interesting set of moves. I'm curious to see how it ends up.

What do the Bulls get out of this? Williams? Is anybody else a net positive?

Ending contracts. Other than that, no. Deke can back up AD - probably be the oldest center combo in league history.

NugzFan
07-10-2004, 03:16 PM
JC for 10 mill per? insane.

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 03:52 PM

From what's being tossed around, he'll be making less than Austin Croshere next season.

Pig Nash
07-10-2004, 03:57 PM
:confused: Why does IT do this? they need better players for the quantity they have not more quantity. whatever. The knicks will still suck.

Kstat
07-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Allan Houston, Stephon Marbury, Jamal Crawford?

None of these guys will take a seat on the bench without kicking and screaming. Jamal can play either guard position, so either H20 or STarbury has to be traded. You'd think Houston would the the one to go, but with his contract, who would take him? Could NY native Marbury be the one to go?

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Allan Houston, Stephon Marbury, Jamal Crawford?

None of these guys will take a seat on the bench without kicking and screaming. Jamal can play either guard position, so either H20 or STarbury has to be traded. You'd think Houston would the the one to go, but with his contract, who would take him? Could NY native Marbury be the one to go?

Personally, I could see AH being a part-timer pretty easily. His knee isn't good and he's refused surgery.

Even if he is OK, I expect next season to be the last where we can say that.

Some backdoor speculation has Marbury being traded for Kobe but with LA working so hard to move Shaq, I don't see it.

NugzFan
07-10-2004, 07:54 PM

From what's being tossed around, he'll be making less than Austin Croshere next season.

everything ive read says 9-10 mill per. maybe in year 1 itll be around 7?