PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter reporting LA HAS agreed to deal shaq to miami....

Kstat
07-10-2004, 03:14 AM
via jim gray. The reported deal is shaq for odom, grant and a future 1st. Miami has only to give its OK to the deal.

Snickers
07-10-2004, 03:16 AM
Crap. :(

TheSauceMaster
07-10-2004, 05:34 AM
Doesnt matter Indy had no chance , Shaq was looking for a warm climate team ..read the latest article in the star.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/161418-9782-036.html

Contrary to reports from Los Angeles, Indiana Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh reiterated Friday the team is not involved in trade talks for Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal.

The Los Angeles Times reported in Friday's editions that the Pacers were making a push to acquire O'Neal, along with Dallas and Miami.

Walsh, however, said the Pacers have not engaged in trade discussions with O'Neal's agent, Perry Rogers, because O'Neal has not expressed interest in playing in Indiana.

"We made inquiries into the situation and we just didn't feel it was worth pursuing," Walsh said. "We think he wants to stay in a Southern city."

O'Neal listed the Pacers among teams he wants to play for shortly after the season but quickly revised that. His current list of preferred destinations reportedly includes Dallas, Sacramento, New Orleans, Miami and Orlando.

you can read the rest at the link ;)

sixthman
07-10-2004, 09:01 AM
If the Lakers don't hold out for the inclusion of Caron Butler or something else, they lack brass balls.

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Miami was already one of my top four teams in the EC before this.

If Shaq decides he has something to prove they will be very, very tough. They'll miss Odom, but not that much. It's like trading in your Lincoln for a Ferrari (an SUV Ferrari built like a Hummer but hey).

Suaveness
07-10-2004, 09:24 AM
That cannot work. The salaries don't match. Miami needs to add more.

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 09:45 AM

What's this year's cap? Miami may be under it.

ABADays
07-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Gee . . . Orlando fans will just love this.

PacerMan
07-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Good. Didn't want his fat *** anyway.:D

sweabs
07-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Um...this isn't good!?!? :o

Suaveness
07-10-2004, 11:05 AM

No I mean shaq makes 27 or so million. grant and odom combine for only 21 or 22 million. Miami needs to add another player.

Unclebuck
07-10-2004, 11:11 AM
I just heard on Sportscenter at 10:00 Indy time that the deal that the heat have agreed to is

Butler
Odom
Grant
1st round draft pick

for Shaq

at this point the Lakers are thinking it over

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 11:17 AM

No I mean shaq makes 27 or so million. grant and odom combine for only 21 or 22 million. Miami needs to add another player.

Not if they're under the cap. They have 42 million in salaries. I've heard that the cap may be as much as 45 which gets them within the 15%

J-Wont
07-10-2004, 11:22 AM
I hope Butler's included :D

MSA2CF
07-10-2004, 11:42 AM
I could care less. Shaq is not going to automatically make Miami the favorite. Indiana and Detroit are still the best two teams in the conference. It's not official & they still have to play the games.

Unclebuck
07-10-2004, 12:15 PM
I just heard on Sportscenter at 10:00 Indy time that the deal that the heat have agreed to is

Butler
Odom
Grant
1st round draft pick 2005

for Shaq

at this point the Lakers are thinking it over

Houston Chronicle is reporting this same thing today

The story goes that the Lakers wanted Wade and the Heat refused, but Ruudy T actually wants Odom instead of Wade, so the deal very close.

Pacers are out because Lakers wanted J.O, and Shaq did not want to go where it is cold. Poor baby a little cold weather scares him

Suaveness
07-10-2004, 12:54 PM
So if NJ resigns Martin, and Shaq goes to Miami, then how would you rank the top 4 teams?

Detroit would be first, naturally. Then who comes after that?

Hicks
07-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Detroit
Indiana
Miami
NJ

Mourning
07-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Detroit
Indiana
Miami
NJ

Yup! Indy still definitely above Miami, which would seriously lack depth.

I mean they are about to lose Alston and in this trade would loose Odom (fantastically talented and diverse player in my book), Grant (the only PF, having been used as a center, with some serious power, besides Shaq if he comes) Butler (up and coming) and a 1st rounder (so, they wont be able to add very much quality soon).
Also consider Shaq is getting OLDER, he is still a MAJOR force, but he is getting older and will be fighting nagging injuries more and more and he wasnt exactly injury-free now was he?
Miami will be dangerous with Wade and Shaq, but whoelse is going to add serious scoring in that team?

Also, we haven't made a move ourselves yet, so when we do and I would find it increadible if we wouldn't the chances we are to be better than this last season are pretty good.

You know what worries me more? The new divisions. Look at the other divsisions in the east that we are not in, those are pretty WEAK, yet we have to contend with Detroit, the Bucks and the Cavs (pheww! I feel bad for them for loosing that rat Boozer, but, damnn I feel :dance::pepper::dance::pepper: for us!). When we are 2nd in our division which seeding could we get at the best than in the east? 4th? That would suck pretty big I think.

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

Anthem
07-10-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure how many games this wins Miami, but it DRASTICALLY cleans up their payroll! I'd have tried to bundle Eddie Jones while I was at it.

They're going to have 30mil come off the books in 2 season....

clownskull
07-10-2004, 02:33 PM
i say let the overweight, overpaid malcontent go to miami. the heat are pretty much gutting the team besides wade to get him. he wont make miami a major force in the east. its not really his age that's a problem. 32 isn't that old for a center. it's his weight.
and that is going to keep him getting injured. he won't make the heat a powerhouse.

TheSauceMaster
07-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Hmm , Miami is giving up alot of there talent for 1 guy , dunno how this will make them better IMHO

Unclebuck
07-10-2004, 02:56 PM
I think Shaq will have a great season he will be very motivated to have a great season. Depending on who else the heat can get, they could be anywhere from 1st to 4th.

Wade and Shaq would be very tough to deal with

PacerMan
Um...this isn't good!?!? :o

One of the 3 best teams in the east would be trading 3/4's of their team for a fat. over the hill, doesn't like to work hard, center.
Wade and Shaq won't win anything that the Fakers couldn't this year. That's for damn sure. :pepper:

it's a goood thing.

PacerMan
I think Shaq will have a great season he will be very motivated to have a great season. Depending on who else the heat can get, they could be anywhere from 1st to 4th.

Wade and Shaq would be very tough to deal with

Yeh, since thats all they'd have. :laugh:

PacerMan
07-10-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure how many games this wins Miami, but it DRASTICALLY cleans up their payroll! I'd have tried to bundle Eddie Jones while I was at it.

They're going to have 30mil come off the books in 2 season....

What is with this infernal infatuation with getting contracts off the books.
Last I checked the goal was to WIN GAMES. :o

Kstat
07-10-2004, 04:38 PM
the fat, overweight slob is still the most dominant player in the game. You need 2 and sometimes 3 guys to keep him from dominating. A lot of people forget that even an unmotivated shaq is STILL the best C in the NBA, and motivation WONT be a problem next year.....

Jose Slaughter
07-10-2004, 04:55 PM
If he was ever gonna get motivated it would have been last summer after they lost the championship & he had 2 hall of famers coming in to help him.

Motavation would have been to get his fat whinny *** off the lazy boy & drop 30 pounds.

The only motavation I see is crying enough til you get traded.

Serves him right going to the Heat. Unless they win there division they won't make the playoffs. As weak as the division is I guess it's possiblie. Somebody has to finish first. Either the Heat or the Wizards.

Kegboy
07-10-2004, 05:08 PM
I think this season will establish Shaq's legacy. If he comes back in shape and knocking heads, he'll go down as one of the best centers ever.

OTH, if he's the same old whiney-butt who has to sit out tons of games because of nagging injuries due to his lack of conditioning, he'll go down as a behemoth who was damn good when he wanted to be, but never applied himself to fully take advantage of his physical gifts.

Kstat
07-10-2004, 05:13 PM
I think this season will establish Shaq's legacy. If he comes back in shape and knocking heads, he'll go down as one of the best centers ever.

OTH, if he's the same old whiney-butt who has to sit out tons of games because of nagging injuries due to his lack of conditioning, he'll go down as a behemoth who was damn good when he wanted to be, but never applied himself to fully take advantage of his physical gifts.

If shaq retired today he'd go down as one of the best centers ever. The man has been to the finals 5 times, and has 3 finals MVPs and 3 rings, both better than wilt chamberlain. Id say that qualifies him as a hall of famer.

roleplayer
07-10-2004, 05:52 PM
I like the move for Miami. I don't know if it'll put them in the Finals but winning a title is a lot easier with a post player like Shaq than without one. You go back through history and you won't find too many teams win titles save the 90's Bulls (who still had the best rebounder in the game) without someone who could control the game inside.

PacerMan
07-10-2004, 06:04 PM
the fat, overweight slob is still the most dominant player in the game. You need 2 and sometimes 3 guys to keep him from dominating. A lot of people forget that even an unmotivated shaq is STILL the best C in the NBA, and motivation WONT be a problem next year.....

Reallly? He lead the league in scoring???????
Rebounding????????????????????????????????
Blocked shots??????????????????????????????????
How would YOU possibly know what motivates Shaq??
:rolleyes:

PacerMan
07-10-2004, 06:08 PM
So if NJ resigns Martin, and Shaq goes to Miami, then how would you rank the top 4 teams?

Why would Detroit "naturally" be first.
We were a better team than them most of the year. They barely beat us with Jermaine and Tinsley both injured, and Reggie getting dusted by Hamilton. That won't happen again.

1) Pacers - without a doubt
2) Detroit
3) Who cares :D

Kstat
07-10-2004, 06:14 PM

Why would Detroit "naturally" be first.
We were a better team than them most of the year. They barely beat us with Jermaine and Tinsley both injured, and Reggie getting dusted by Hamilton. That won't happen again.

1) Pacers - without a doubt
2) Detroit
3) Who cares :D

Yeah, I see no good reason why the defending champs would be first......:laugh:

Any more excuses to add to your ever-growing list?

Kstat
07-10-2004, 06:19 PM

Reallly? He lead the league in scoring???????
Rebounding????????????????????????????????
Blocked shots??????????????????????????????????
How would YOU possibly know what motivates Shaq??

WHy do you insist on trolling your own board, seriously.

Shaq is the best center in the NBA.This is not even a debate. Anyone who believes otherwise is either deliberately trolling, or just really really dumb on a scale that we havent seen since Politician.

Kegboy
07-10-2004, 06:20 PM

If shaq retired today he'd go down as one of the best centers ever. The man has been to the finals 5 times, and has 3 finals MVPs and 3 rings, both better than wilt chamberlain. Id say that qualifies him as a hall of famer.

You're right, if he retired right now. But the story's not done yet. If he continues to slack off, critics will point out his later years (the last two included) when people try and compare him to Wilt or Russell.

As for the rings, who knows, it may come to be that everyone credits Kobe for those. :sarcasm:

able
07-10-2004, 06:22 PM
hey hey hey! no insulting Polly here, he's at the very least the only C with a sense of humour :D

and the worst taste in hairdo

:D

Kegboy
07-10-2004, 06:22 PM
WHy do you insist on trolling your own board, seriously.

Ditto.

...on a scale that we havent seee since Politician.

Ouch, there's a blast from the past.

Kstat
07-10-2004, 06:24 PM

You're right, if he retired right now. But the story's not done yet. If he continues to slack off, critics will point out his later years (the last two included) when people try and compare him to Wilt or Russell.

As for the rings, who knows, it may come to be that everyone credits Kobe for those. :sarcasm:

Shaq was named as one of the 50 greatest players in history. That was after FOUR SEASONS. Since then he's won 3 titles, an MVP and 3 finals MVPs. His finals averages are what, 35 and 17? I dont see what else shaq POSSIBLY needs to prove to everyone else.

Kegboy
07-11-2004, 03:09 AM

Shaq was named as one of the 50 greatest players in history. That was after FOUR SEASONS. Since then he's won 3 titles, an MVP and 3 finals MVPs. His finals averages are what, 35 and 17? I dont see what else shaq POSSIBLY needs to prove to everyone else.

K, you don't understand, I'm not talking about "Was he any good" or "Is he a HOF'er". I'm talking about, "It's not Russell and Wilt anymore, it's Russell, Wilt, and Shaq". As great as Shaq is, if he doesn't bring it in Miami, I don't agree with that statement.

But then, I know from the party that Peck is scared to death of Shaq in Miami, so maybe there's nothing to debate.

Kstat
07-11-2004, 05:11 AM

K, you don't understand, I'm not talking about "Was he any good" or "Is he a HOF'er". I'm talking about, "It's not Russell and Wilt anymore, it's Russell, Wilt, and Shaq". As great as Shaq is, if he doesn't bring it in Miami, I don't agree with that statement.

But then, I know from the party that Peck is scared to death of Shaq in Miami, so maybe there's nothing to debate.

See, IMO shaq is right there with wilt. Shaq has more titles, more finals MVPs, and his playoff stats are better. Shaq was better when it really mattered.

scar
07-11-2004, 05:53 AM
A popular question would be, if Wilt played in today's NBA, would he be the same dominant player? I personally don't. Put Shaq in Wilts shoes, you would have had 50 points, 30 rebounds night in night out. Players just weren't built like they are today.