PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting feedback from Spurs fans on Jackson

Hicks
07-10-2004, 12:26 AM
Thought you all might find it interesting to hear what they have to say about him.

Click me (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=224964#post224964)

So far it seems:

+Cold blooded (aka not afraid to take the clutch shot
+Scorer
+Good shooter
+Atheletic
+Above average defender
-Turnover prone
-Can pout
+Mike Brown will help with the pouting (he's his mentor)

That's what I'm getting so far, but you can read as more post for yourselves.

bapspacers4life
07-10-2004, 12:46 AM
nice post there hicks but how sure we gonna get him??:confused::(

SpADeD
07-10-2004, 12:57 AM

As with all the past offseasons with the Pacers, we will not know until it is done, since most of the talks are usually "smokescreens." We just speculate a lot because we get a little excited and bored in the offseason.

Hicks
07-10-2004, 01:28 AM

Not everyone will agree with me, but I'm fairly certain we will, though nothing is certain until it happens. But he's said we're a place he'd like to go, and the other two teams he mentioned, Atlanta, and San Antonio, aren't going to try to sign him now. Plus, his mentor Mike Brown is a coach here, and he fills a need. It just makes a lot of sense, plus there's a rumor about it that came out BEFORE i knew the rest of this. So yeah, I'm fairly sure.

Anthem
07-10-2004, 02:07 AM
If Carlisle can't teach him to value each possesion, he can't be taught. Tinsley's turnovers were way down this year.

Of course, they dropped more the previous year, when Zeke was coach... :devil:

sixthman
07-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Stephen will be two years older and wiser this coming season compared to his SA days.

The more I read about him, the more I think he might be a really good fit.

Will Galen
07-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Stephen will be two years older and wiser this coming season compared to his SA days.

The more I read about him, the more I think he might be a really good fit.

Me too, as long as he doesn't throw a really good fit.

;)

3Ball
07-10-2004, 09:33 AM
He wasn't just a little turnover prone. He actually had the 10th most turnovers per game of any player in the league last year. That said, he may make up for it a little by being 6th best in the league in steals.

He may a cold-blooded shooter, but he's also a career .33 3pt shooter. Jamal Tinsley shot .37 from the arc last season, to give you an idea. And besides, how many athletic forwards does this team need? The last time I checked, we were up to our elbows in guys that fit his description.

Unclebuck
07-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I think he would help. But I am not all that excited about him

Roaming Gnome
07-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I think he would help. But I am not all that excited about him

Buck, I feel the same way. I agree that he can help us, but for some reason, he just doesn't get the blood pumping in anticipation for the season.

Who are the unrestricted/free agents that are going to be available after all the smoke clears about a week from Wednesday? I just get a feeling that we are going to get a guy that no one is thinking of that will go over like a yawn....Kinda like Carlos Rogers a few years back.

Unclebuck
07-10-2004, 12:28 PM
This blew my mind. 6 turnoevers from a catch and shoot player

"Jackson's wild ride

Stephen Jackson turned the ball over twice and hit the side of the backboard with his only shot, forcing Popovich to pull him three minutes into the game. Jackson then did his usual pouting routine, walking to the baseline and sitting far away from his teammates. When assistant coach Mike Brown tried to talk to him, Jackson waved him away. When teammate Malik Rose tried to talk to him, Jackson snapped back a response that prompted Rose to roll his eyes and shake his head.

All was forgiven by the end of the night, as Jackson compensated for his six turnovers by burying three of four 3-pointers down the stretch to finish with 17 points on 7-of-13 shooting.

"One thing about Jack, it doesn't matter whether he's in the feast mode or the famine mode," Popovich said. "At some point, it's going to change."

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Jackson had a quote after a game last year where he said something about "keeping it raw" after a really bad game. Don't remember the details or anything - just one of those catchy little phrases that perks your ears up.

J-Wont
07-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Wow, a 4th Straight-Outta-High Schooler on the Pacers..:cool:
What's not to be excited about Stephen Jackson?
The Pacer's improve their offense, defense, and bench if they can pick him up. Jax would be the Pacers #3 scorer and should get atleast 15 a game. You can also expect his FG% to rise since he'll actually have teammates to draw the focus of opposing teams defense off him. His defense is so much better than Reggie's it's almost laughable. He just makes us an ever better defensive team. Ron & Jax would be the best perimeter defensive duo in the league by a huge margin. He should also start at 2 which pushes Reggie to the bench and adds a lot of experience and scoring there, I'd try Fred as backup point guard. Jax also just 26 and has improved drastically every year he's been in the league, which shows me he has a strong work ethic which is a big plus. And last but not least, he's got big game experience and is clutch.
I think the MLE would end up being a huge steal for this guy.
And if we could ship Al & Pollard for a nice starting center we'd have to be the favorites. What about Dampier?
SLU: Tinsley/Jax/Artest/O'Neal/Dampier
Bench: Reggie, Bender, Foster, Fred, Croshere
Wow that bench is a halfway decent starting lineup lol!
We'd be unbeatable!
(sorry if i've rambled any here)

MagicRat
07-10-2004, 12:33 PM
This blew my mind. 6 turnoevers from a catch and shoot player

"Jackson's wild ride

Stephen Jackson turned the ball over twice and hit the side of the backboard with his only shot, forcing Popovich to pull him three minutes into the game. Jackson then did his usual pouting routine, walking to the baseline and sitting far away from his teammates. When assistant coach Mike Brown tried to talk to him, Jackson waved him away. When teammate Malik Rose tried to talk to him, Jackson snapped back a response that prompted Rose to roll his eyes and shake his head.

All was forgiven by the end of the night, as Jackson compensated for his six turnovers by burying three of four 3-pointers down the stretch to finish with 17 points on 7-of-13 shooting.

"One thing about Jack, it doesn't matter whether he's in the feast mode or the famine mode," Popovich said. "At some point, it's going to change."

Sounds like your kind of player, UB.......:p

Unclebuck
07-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Very interesting toi read this now.

I can't really add much to what the Spurs fans are saying about Jackson.

When I think of Jackson a couple of things come to mind.

he scores in bunches, he can get hot with the best of them and whn he does he is tough for the defense to get back under control.

he is a little wild and does not always make the best decisions.

ABADays
07-11-2004, 11:06 AM
UB - are you talking about Jackson or Artest?

sixthman
07-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Very interesting toi read this now.

I can't really add much to what the Spurs fans are saying about Jackson.

When I think of Jackson a couple of things come to mind.

he scores in bunches, he can get hot with the best of them and whn he does he is tough for the defense to get back under control.

he is a little wild and does not always make the best decisions.

SJax has improved each year in the league, especially his ball handling, judgement and defense. He plays two positions and is eons better now than he was in San Antonio.

Stevie and Freddie Jones, long term, could be a kick-asp combo at shooting guard for us.

I think getting Jackson is an off season move that will rank right up there with the move of hiring Carlisle last season.