PDA

View Full Version : Bowen re-signs with the Spurs; SJax seeking the full MLE

Shade
07-09-2004, 11:02 AM
From RealGM:

"In addition to bringing back Ginobili, the Spurs have reached agreement on a three-year contract worth about $13 million with forward Bruce Bowen. The deal has a fourth-year at the team's option that if not exercised guarantees Bowen $2 million."

Other Spurs free agent Hedo Turkoglu was offered a 6 year deal for the MLE byt the Orlando Magic; the Spurs are not expected to match the offer.

With the Spurs reaching agreements with Ginoboli themselves, and an agreement with Bowen, and an idea that they are not matching Turkoglu's offer; they can start looking at other free agents with the rest of their money. They have to wat to see what the salary cap will be to see how much they have.

The other free agents they will be explorin are: Seattle guard Brent Barry, and former Spurs guard Stephen Jackson. Jackson is seeking the whole MLE; which the Spurs most likely will not offer.

"Ginobili's contract, which will average more than $8.5 million annually, represents not only his value to the franchise, but also how much teams have increased their spending on free agents this summer."

Suaveness
07-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Since Bowen is gone, we had better keep Ron...

blanket
07-09-2004, 11:19 AM
The other free agents they will be explorin are: Seattle guard Brent Barry, and former Spurs guard Stephen Jackson. Jackson is seeking the whole MLE; which the Spurs most likely will not offer.

If S. Jackson is worth the full MLE, then Barry certainly is as well. The issue is probably 4 years for Barry vs 6 years for Jackson.

I sure hope we don't give Jackson the full MLE for 6 years. Ugh.

If that's his demand, I might rather the Pacers give Barry the MLE for 4 years instead.

Young
07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I hope we get Jackson.

Hicks
07-09-2004, 12:25 PM
I still hope we get him. Yeah 6 years is a long time, but Barry's getting old (mid 30's) and Jax is just 26. Even if he DID manage to be here for 6 years, he still wouldn't be as gold THEN as I think Barry may already be NOW. :laugh:

3Ball
07-09-2004, 05:58 PM
How on earth did the Spurs get Bowen to sign for so little?

beast23
07-09-2004, 06:35 PM
I still hope we get him. Yeah 6 years is a long time, but Barry's getting old (mid 30's) and Jax is just 26. Even if he DID manage to be here for 6 years, he still wouldn't be as gold THEN as I think Barry may already be NOW. :laugh:For the record, Barry is currently 31, hardly mid-30's.

Both players can provide what the Pacers need, namely outside shooting.

Barry is the better perimeter shooter. Barry is able to play both guard positions and is an accomplished Pacer. I'm guessing he is probably the player with the greater "court smarts".

Barry was seeking a 4 year deal for the MLE. Jax is also seeking the MLE, but for how long we really don't know.

Jax is the younger player and if we want to tie up an SG for a longer term, he's probably our man. Although either player could solve our problem at SG.

PacerMan
07-09-2004, 08:51 PM

If S. Jackson is worth the full MLE, then Barry certainly is as well. The issue is probably 4 years for Barry vs 6 years for Jackson.

I sure hope we don't give Jackson the full MLE for 6 years. Ugh.

If that's his demand, I might rather the Pacers give Barry the MLE for 4 years instead.

I thought Barry was 32 y/o??????????? Wrong Barry??
No way I'm signing an old guy to a 4 year contract.

Will Galen
07-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Brent Barry who plays for Seattle was born on 12/31/71, that will make him 33 on 12/31/04. His brother Jon is older and plays for Denver. Jon is the one that reportedly doesn't get along with Carlisle.