View Full Version : Hawks offer Kmart the Max

Unclebuck
07-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Atlanta offers Kenyon the max
in a six year deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1836768

Ragnar
07-09-2004, 09:44 AM
You knew someone would do it. The Nets should have extended him last year.

Suaveness
07-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Denver still might.

Kstat
07-09-2004, 09:48 AM
KMart is good as gone from the Nets. No way does NJ pick up another max contract.

Suaveness
07-09-2004, 09:54 AM
The big question is...would you rather keep Martin or Kidd?

Zesty
07-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Depends how bad Kidd's knee(s) is/are.

Shade
07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
K-Mart is all about the $. He's as good as a Hawk, unless another team (Denver) matches. NJ won't.

At this rate, I expect a whopping 3 teams in the East to have winning records next year (Indy, Detroit, and Miami).

Shade
07-09-2004, 10:53 AM

Kidd, without a doubt. But unless they fill the void left by K-Mart, the Nets are looking at returning to the cellar, or at least the middle of the pack (which is the cellar in the East).

Fool
07-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Orlando will have a winning record.

Will Galen
07-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Denver still might.

KMart was demanding the max then, too. If the Nets simply match it now, it's the same thing. They did the smart thing by taking the risk that the market would be slow and he wouldn't get a huge contract. They were wrong, but they can still match, so it's not like they would really lose anything by waiting a year. And since it's a team without Bird rights offering him a contract, the Nets could actually save money by not having to commit to a 7th year.

Very good analysis!

Suaveness
07-09-2004, 11:13 AM
K-Mart is all about the $. He's as good as a Hawk, unless another team (Denver) matches. NJ won't.

At this rate, I expect a whopping 3 teams in the East to have winning records next year (Indy, Detroit, and Miami).

Cleveland will too.

And Orlando will not.

Kstat
07-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Denver still might.

KMart was demanding the max then, too. If the Nets simply match it now, it's the same thing. They did the smart thing by taking the risk that the market would be slow and he wouldn't get a huge contract. They were wrong, but they can still match, so it's not like they would really lose anything by waiting a year. And since it's a team without Bird rights offering him a contract, the Nets could actually save money by not having to commit to a 7th year.

The thing is, the Nets arent going to sign him to a max deal reguardless. There is no way in hell they match.

MSA2CF
07-09-2004, 11:19 AM

Then, ask yourself which one makes others around him better.

Shade
07-09-2004, 11:33 AM

Cleveland will too.

And Orlando will not.

Boozer was a huge loss for the Cavs. With him, they were possibly the third-fourth best team in the East. Without him... :shakehead:

Suaveness
07-09-2004, 11:35 AM

Cleveland will too.

And Orlando will not.

Boozer was a huge loss for the Cavs. With him, they were possibly the third-fourth best team in the East. Without him... :shakehead:

True, but they still have James, and as much as it pains me to say it, he is quite good.

Shade
07-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Cleveland will too.

And Orlando will not.

True, but they still have James, and as much as it pains me to say it, he is quite good.

James is good...but his supporting cast isn't. Not unless they shore up the hole left by Boozer.