View Full Version : 2004 USA Basketball Men's National Team

skyfire
07-09-2004, 05:00 AM
PG: Iverson, Marbury, Wade
SG: LeBron
SF: Anthony, Jefferson, Marion
PF: Boozer, Okafor, Odom, Stoudemire
C: Duncan

I'm not listing potential starters here, just trying to match players to positions.

I know they have had a lot of players pulled out, but this is one really unbalanced team. Some exciting young players in there, but seriously.

3 short PG's
Duncan and LeBron are both playing out of position, but they are the closest thing to a SG and C that are on the team.

Why would you pick Okafor when you've already got 3 PF's on the team already. Surely they could find 1 shooting guard in the entire NBA willing to risk life and limb to represent their country at the Olympics.

I'm still totally looking forward to the Olympic basketball. Australia is in the same pool as the US so garuanteed one matchup between the two teams. The pool is significantly weaker than the other pool, so with a little bit of luck the Boomers could finish 2nd in our pool and be well positioned for knockout rounds.

wintermute
07-09-2004, 06:57 AM
okafor is a center. don't let his height fool you...

iverson is really more of a sg. same could be said for wade. ironically, lebron is more of a pg. jefferson could play sg as well.

duncan and okafor manning the slot may be a little undersized by nba standards, but not by international norms. anyway, duncan and okafor is a sight better than your 7 ft+ stiffs.

Hicks
07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
It'll probably go something like this:

PG: Iverson, Marbury, Wade
SG: LeBron
SF: Anthony, Jefferson, Marion
PF: Boozer, Okafor, Odom, Stoudemire

PG: Marbury, Wayde
SG: Iverson, James
SF: Marion, Jefferson, Anthony
PF: Odom, Boozer, Stoudemire
C: Duncan, Okafor

birdman
07-09-2004, 12:54 PM
PG: Lebron, Marbury
SG: Iverson, Wade
SF: Marion, Anthony, Jefferson
PF: Odom, Boozer, Stoudemire
C: Duncan, Okafor

The PF spot is tough to call at this point. I'm guessing it'll be Odom though.

RA231
07-09-2004, 01:00 PM
PG: Iverson/Marbury:confused:
SG: James
SF: Marion
PF: Boozer

Unclebuck
07-09-2004, 01:11 PM
That team really needs Jason Kidd. That would make a huge, huge difference

Kegboy
07-09-2004, 01:19 PM
In Puerto Rico last year, my understanding is Iverson played a lot of 2, and Duncan almost exclusively played 5. I don't see it being a problem.

IMO, Okafor is there strictly as a practice player, like Nick Collison and Jay Williams two years ago. The word out of the WC was both players benefited greatly from the experience, and alot of guys (Reggie included, IIRC) were greatly impressed with Collison, who was still at Kansas at the time. Of course, he got hurt and had to sit out his rookie year, so we still haven't seen what he can do in the NBA.

My point is, I don't understand what Bickerstaff's problem is with Okafor being on the team. He's not gonna get much play at all, so it's not like he's gonna break down. However, he should learn alot practicing with Duncan every day, and be that much the better for it when the season rolls around.

:shrug:
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.
:duel:

Kegboy
07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
That team really needs Jason Kidd. That would make a huge, huge difference

If Kidd had played in the WC's, we would have won easy. Maybe he would have even been able to keep Paul Pierce happy. I doubt it, though. :rolleyes:
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.
:duel:

clownskull
07-10-2004, 07:24 PM
i don't buy it if kidd had played at the wc in indy that we would have won easy. pierce was not the only player who was disgruntled on that team. baron davis was unhappy because he didn't start and after the wc's he was critical of the coach. but davis didn't mention the fact that he shot about 30% from the foul line. pierce didn't hit his foul shots either.
that team as a whole was a poor ft shooting group. that and the fact that squad had an attitude that they could just coast on cruise control and win.

those guys would slack around in the first half and think they could just turn it on and found out that it just doesn't work like that. i think there were times that squad was down by as much as 15-20 points.

granted kidd would have helped a good deal but i just don't think he could have made that big of a difference.

Kstat
07-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Allen Iverson is one of the few guys that truly wants to represent his country. WIth a motivated AI I think we're very hard to beat, he was EASILY the best player on the US team in the qualifiers last summer.