PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Fred Jones as backup point guard?

Young
07-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Lets face it, we are in all likely hood getting an upgrade at 2 moving Reggie to backup. So where does that leave Jones?

So why not have him as the backup 1?

Re-Sign Anthony Johnson [Or another veteran.] just to be sure we have someone incase Jones doesn't work out.

Do you guys think he can play the point?

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 11:57 PM
I think we would all be happy to see Freddie get some run at point. Well, maybe except for those who think he should start at the 2. :crazy:
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.
:duel:

Suaveness
07-08-2004, 11:59 PM
I think we would all be happy to see Freddie get some run at point. Well, maybe except for those who think he should start at the 2. :crazy:
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.
:duel:

Oh please. He should start at 2.

Better than a certain...oh...NONpacer...

Unclebuck
07-09-2004, 12:12 AM
I would ot have a problem with Fred getting spot minutes as backup point. But I woud not want him to be the second string point guard.

Anthem
07-09-2004, 12:26 AM
I've been advocating this for a while.

Jones is a better distributer than Anthony Johnson. He's better on offense and better on defense. He doesn't have the "veteran savvy" but he won't get it without some burn.

We'd probably be better with AJ early in the season. But with a season of consistent playing time, I think Freddy would be the superior player by the time the playoffs roll around.

Hicks
07-09-2004, 12:27 AM
I've been advocating this for a while.

Jones is a better distributer than Anthony Johnson. He's better on offense and better on defense. He doesn't have the "veteran savvy" but he won't get it without some burn.

We'd probably be better with AJ early in the season. But with a season of consistent playing time, I think Freddy would be the superior player by the time the playoffs roll around.

You could be right.

wintermute
07-09-2004, 06:42 AM
i like the idea. fred jones as 3rd guard off the bench. the ideal of a "combo" guard :D

beast23
07-09-2004, 09:00 AM
I don't think your idea is original.

Freddie got a few minutes last season as a PG.

I believe that being able to play both positions is exactly what Carlisle has in mind.

Roy Munson
07-09-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm confused as to why people think he didn't play point last year a lot. Almost every time they came down the floor on offense, especially when he was in the game with AJ, Freddie swung into the key, then popped up to the top of the circle to receive a pass. From there, he almost ALWAYS initiated the offense. Of all the Pacers guards last season, I thought he was the BEST at initiating because of his ability to penetrate and draw the defense to him so that he could hit an open player under the hoop or at the 3 line.

I don't think the Pacers' positioned are so tightly defined that they say "You are a 2, so you have to shoot a lot, and You are a 1, so you have to bring the ball up the floor and pass it."

Within the Pacers offensive system, I don't think it matters a lot who is the No. 1, and who is the No. 2. The more important matter is "which two guys are on the floor". I believe the No. 1 and No. 2 designation is more applicable to the defensive end of the floor....which guy are you going to be matched up with.

Anthem
07-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Well, Tinsley did a better job of initiating the offense. But Freddy was #2.