PDA

View Full Version : Jazz steal Boozer

Aw Heck
07-08-2004, 05:31 PM
David Aldridge is reporting that the Jazz and Boozer have agreed to a deal for a 6 year $68 million contract.

This is on ESPN's bottom line right now.

Wow. This really sucks for the Cavs.

Hicks
07-08-2004, 05:32 PM
:laugh: Oh God that sucks for Cleveland. OUCH!

Meanwhile, Utah is adding Boozer and Okur to their front line. Not bad.

Aw Heck
07-08-2004, 05:39 PM
BIG mistake by Paxson. Boozer and James would've been a VERY nice duo to build on. What do they do now?

As for Utah, this is looking like a very good offseason. This is a pretty nice lineup for next season. Under Sloan, this could be a playoff team next year, IMO.

Okur
Boozer
AK-47
Harpring
Arroyo

Ultimate Frisbee
07-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Utah should be a playoff team this year if they repeat the success they had last season with a team of no-names....

Hoop
07-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Really sucks far Cleveland, dosen't seem fair that they're not allowed to match the offer.

Wonder how bad Cleveland would want Al now?

Wagner and Jackson?

Aw Heck
07-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Really sucks far Cleveland, dosen't seem fair that they're not allowed to match the offer.

Wonder how bad Cleveland would want Al now?

Wagner and Jackson?

Hmm. I never thought about that. . . :plot:

Al might be good consolation for them if they only have to give up Wagner/Jackson. What other PF's are on the market that they could afford?

Roy Munson
07-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Harrington for Jackson and Whatever....

NOW we're talking!

JOneal7
07-08-2004, 06:00 PM
WTF is all this paxson stuff? I swear he is with the bulls?
anyways good pickup for
Utah.. And i'm shocked, boozer isn't white!:laugh:
lol just look at that team tho,lol

Aw Heck
07-08-2004, 06:02 PM
WTF is all this paxson stuff? I swear he is with the bulls?
anyways good pickup for
Utah.. And i'm shocked, boozer isn't white!:laugh:
lol just look at that team tho,lol

John Paxson is GM of the Bulls, Jim Paxson is GM of the Cavs.

Unless I have them confused.

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, I think we'll definitely see a provision in the next CBA to fix this loophole. In effect, you're punishing teams for finding good talent in the second round. Add in what Boozer and his agent did, and I find this pretty disgusting.

That said, it hurts an up-and-coming Eastern team, so I can't say I'm too broken up about it. :D
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.
:duel:

purdue101
07-08-2004, 06:22 PM
cavs fans will want paxson dragged through the streets of cleveland.....what a poor decision on his part. here's what his plan was for those who don't know. boozer is an up and coming star, he would've been a unrestricted FA next year and would have demanded big bucks from the cavs. cleveland had a team option on him for next year, they didn't pick it up b/c boozer "verbally" commited to an extension for a cheaper price now then what they would have had to pay next year. i believe is was the full MLE, which is all cleveland can offer him. as luck has it, he was offered a much bigger deal from utah and they stole him away and cleveland is left empty handed. even if he would have left next summer, cleveland could have traded him for something before feb. 19 and at least got something.

dipperdunk
07-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Well, I think we'll definitely see a provision in the next CBA to fix this loophole. In effect, you're punishing teams for finding good talent in the second round. Add in what Boozer and his agent did, and I find this pretty disgusting.

I agree and I think it is bad for the league to have another young superstar in Lebron that is going to be surrounded by mediocre talent unless he eventually demands a trade from Cleveland. Paxson showed some class and did Boozer a favor by not picking up the option and Boozer thanks him by jumping ship.
:unimpressed:

purdue101
07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
would you stick to your word too if you were offered close to 30 million more from another team? lesson learned; never take anyones word when big money is on the table. the cavs could have had boozer for 700,000 dollars this year, now they have nothing. paxson took a big gamble and it backfired. i just don't understand his thinking that boozer wouldn't get a huge offer beyone the MLE exception elsewhere. i feel bad for bron, boozer was the perfect compliment to him.

SkipperZ
07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
nobody here thinks its a little wrong what boozer and his agent did?

i highly doubt paxson would have done this without at least verbal agreement on a deal which obviously was not withheld on boozers part.

All might not be lost however, they could clear up capspace and sign boozer. it would involve some sort of miracle however. they would have to find someone to take either ilgauskas or a combo of eric williams AND tony battie to match that offer. I dont think any team under the cap is very interested in that one.

blanket
07-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Paxson showed some class and did Boozer a favor by not picking up the option and Boozer thanks him by jumping ship.

That's one way of looking at it -- and I'm definitely not trying to defend the actions of Boozer and his agent here -- but keep in mind that Paxson was hoping to give Boozer around $40Mil for 6 years now so he wouldn't have to give him his full market value next year (which turns out to be around $68Mil for 6 years).

une
07-08-2004, 06:38 PM
SkipperZ, where do you get those Boa images? I have to know!

Back on topic. This does suck for the Cavs, but it's good for us. What does Cleveland have that we might want? Besides King James of course.:)

purdue101
07-08-2004, 06:39 PM
yeah, it's shady but i would do it too. i mean, we're talking 25-30 million extra dollars....that's a lot a money.

paxson deserves it....i can't say this enough, what a poor decision on his part. he definitely put a stain on his rep.

i expect cleveland to go after stromile swift now. he's a young talent but he's no boozer.

purdue101
07-08-2004, 06:40 PM
good point une, i can see harrington looking a lot more valuable to them now. maybe al and fred for jackson, wagner and a future pick.

MSA2CF
07-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey, David is saying Boozer & the Jazz have agreed to a contract...Now, we all know what that means. ;) I think Boozer already agreed to something else, didn't he? :laugh:

We'll see what happens; nothing is official until the contract is signed.

beast23
07-08-2004, 06:50 PM
GM's put little fibs out all over the place to try to confuse the other teams regarding who they might take in the draft.

Basically GMs tell little white lies to each other all the time. Or they leak some rumor to see who is going to bite.

I don't feel sorry for Paxson at all.

He rolled the dice and he got singed.

I'm certain Boozer had every intention of signing with the Cavs for the MLE, just like everyone says. But after noting some of the other signings, decided to test the waters.

I say good job to Boozer and his agent. Well done.

But speaking of the dollars being tossed around, things are starting to get a little crazy.

une
07-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Do we really want to trade Harrington for a project player like Wagner? I'd rather have someone who has proven value.

MSA2CF
07-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey, David is saying Boozer & the Jazz have agreed to a contract...Now, we all know what that means. ;) I think Boozer already agreed to something else, didn't he? :laugh:

BTW, David is also saying Brian Skinner & 76ers agree to a 5-year deal.

Suaveness
07-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Ouch. Too bad for Cleveland. Well, it is their (not there or they're) fault. Can't be nice in this day and age.

Maybe this means luke jackson? hmm

birdman
07-08-2004, 07:01 PM

BTW, David is also saying Brian Skinner & 76ers agree to a 5-year deal.

Yeah, 5-year $25 million.

LuckyMcPhearson
07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Guys I would LOVE to see Jackson become a Pacer but I dont think its going to happen. At least not for awhile.

Jackson just signed his contract so he can't be traded for X number of days. I dont think he can be traded till the season is well under way. :(

Maybe Im wrong but I remember reading that. :confused:

zxc
07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
That really sucks for the cavs. Had to see this coming though, just an amazingly stupid move by their GM to not pick up his third year there.

Ragnar
07-08-2004, 07:33 PM
The Cavs did the class thing by letting him out of his deal in order to get more money now. If he did not want to sign a six year at the mid level he should have signed for one year and seen what he could get out of them next year.

As much as the fans in Cleveland will hate Paxson for this he should not be totaly blamed. He was taking the high road letting this guy earn more money now rather than having to live on 700K (yah I know but he has to hang with LeBron so 700K is parking tickets to LeBron)

Frankly I would boo Boozer from now on because that was crappy.

BTW Joneal7 the Paxson that is the G.M. of the Bulls is the one who hit the shot in Phoenix to win a title (for the Bulls) the Paxson in Cleveland is his brother.

Will Galen
07-08-2004, 07:48 PM
would you stick to your word too if you were offered close to 30 million more from another team?

Yes, a lot of people would. Despite the worldwide decline in standards of honesty, most people still value people that keep their word.

Matthew 5:37 Just let YOUR word Yes mean Yes, YOUR No, No; for what is in excess of these is from the wicked one.

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 07:57 PM
FYI, in today's Insider, Chad Ford wrote about this being a possibility. He asked an agent what he would do if Boozer was his client, and Boozer told him he wanted to reneg on the oral agreement made with Cleveland. His response: "Resign."

:applaud:
---

Will Galen
07-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Ford also said, "according to sources, Boozer had his agent, Rob Pelinka, approach the Cavs with a proposal: Don't pick up the option, and in return Boozer would re-sign with the Cavs for the mid-level exception.

If all this is true and Boozer now signs with the Jazz . . . that's completly rotten.

Just as bad, some people will commend him.

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

Unclebuck
07-08-2004, 09:48 PM
I have been wanting to ask this question for the past few hours.

Imagine you are a big Cavs fan, or of that is too dfficult for you, imagine that the Pacers did just what the Cavs did and in effect lose their second most important player.

Who would you be madder at. The GM or the player/agent.

In this situation I can't blame the player. I would be screaming bloody murder at the GM. Verbal agreement mean nothing.

Paxson should be fired. Silas is probably ready to run him out of town himself.

What Paxson did was inexcusable.

Having said this Boozer should keep his word and sign with the Cavs. Maybe sign a shorter deal so you could get a new contract sooner.

Still Paxson never should have allowed this to happen.

MSA2CF
07-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Yeah, Unclebuck. I'm not mad at Carlos, if he does indeed sign with the Jazz instead. Essentially, Paxson was telling him that he doesn't want to pay him the amount of money he deserves/will deserve. If I'm Carlos, I think that's bad business. Why should I sign with a guy who wants to pay me less than what I could make if I waited until next year? (Do you see what I'm seeing/saying?) I think Carlos felt somewhat betrayed, so he may have lied to Paxson. If I'm a Cavaliers fan, Paxson is my least favorite person in Cleveland, more than Mimi from The Drew Carey Show. :cool:

Zesty
07-08-2004, 09:57 PM
I still think Paxson was trying to look out for Boozer on this one, and then got totally stabbed in the back. I know it's $30 million extra, but when you'd be getting at least $40 million anyway, it's hard to not be pissed at Boozer for screwing over the Cavs like this, ESPECIALLY if he came to them as was reported by Will. :mad:

Unclebuck
07-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah, Unclebuck. I'm not mad at Carlos, if he does indeed sign with the Jazz instead. Essentially, Paxson was telling him that he doesn't want to pay him the amount of money he deserves/will deserve. If I'm Carlos, I think that's bad business. Why should I sign with a guy who wants to pay me less than what I could make if I waited until next year? (Do you see what I'm seeing/saying?) :cool:

Excellent point, I see what you are saying.

What if Boozer was in a serious car accident in the past couple of weeks after he was free of his contract, do you think the cavs would have re-signed Boozer at all. No.

PacerMan
07-08-2004, 10:00 PM

Yeh, they're really annoying.

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 10:30 PM
I think we're all dancing around the same issue, where's the line of morality when it comes to big business.

UB's thing about the car accident reminds me of something involving Paxson's brother. Remember Jay Williams' motorcycle accident? Well, there was a provision in Jay's contract that prohibited him from riding a motorcycle. Therefore Chicago could have voided his contract, and Jay would get no money, have no job, hell, maybe he even would have lost his health insurance (do NBA player's get health insurance?)

Anyway, the point is, Chicago didn't void his contract, even after they drafted his replacement in Kirk Heinrich. Eventually they bought him out.

This is what Williams' agent said afterwards:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/bulls/2004-02-02-williams-buyout_x.htm

"The buyout says a whole lot," Duffy said. "You can't say enough about (Bulls chairman) Jerry Reinsdorf's willingness to handle this from the time it happened. His communication with the family and Jay and his concern, he handled it very well. People talk about the cold and calculating nature of sports, but he was willing to help him. He hasn't penalized him as harshly as he could have for the mistake he made. That's refreshing in the current business climate of this country."

Now, maybe that was "stupid" of Chicago, cause they could of gotten off scot free and saved a couple million. But I'd much rather have guys like that running an organization I'm a fan of, as opposed to those that treat their players like commodities instead of people. And I would think players would rather play for them, too.
---

Unclebuck
07-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Kegboy, I agree, and I think that is one huge reason why the Pacers are thought of as a great organization because they take care of their players, almost to a fault

Shade
07-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Utah is investing big $ in role-players. Could come back to bite them in the ***.

A front court of Okur and Boozer doesn't scare me in the least, though it is an upgrade over last year for them. Of course, just about anything was an upgrade for them there. ;)

Over $10 mil/year for Boozer... :shakehead:

Young
07-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Mistake by the Cavs, that is ovbious, but a mistake by Boozer too.

Why would you not want to play with Lebron James? He is the greatest high schooler ever and will win a championship, already in pencil just needs to be in ink, and Boozer goes to Utah? Utah looks good now but in the long run I bet he will regret it.

75Ranger
07-08-2004, 10:59 PM
[quote=Shade]Utah is investing big $ in role-players. Could come back to bite them in the ***.

quote]

Im thinking the exact same thing. Im a big Duke fan and because of Lebron I watched alot of Cav games so Ive seen alot of Boozer, and hes a very good player almost like a throwback type of PF but I don't think hes really worth 10million right now.

Shade
07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Guys I would LOVE to see Jackson become a Pacer but I dont think its going to happen. At least not for awhile.

Jackson just signed his contract so he can't be traded for X number of days. I dont think he can be traded till the season is well under way. :(

He re-upped with Atlanta? When? :confused:

Shade
07-08-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm surprised nobody is blasting Boozer for breaking his verbal agreement. Further proof that $ trumps all. :shrug:

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 11:04 PM

I just realized something. This is $68M over 6 years, and Brad was $68M over 7. Holy f-ing *****, that's WAY too much. :blush:

Now, we expect Sloan to coach these guys up real good, but he's had some bad luck with big guys, too. If Okur didn't like playing for Brown, how's he gonna get along with Sloan. :uhoh:
---

Hicks
07-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Jesus, Kegboy, you're right. Brad was $68 for 7 years, and Boozer is $68 over 6 years. That's more than Brad wanted/got (per year).

All this free-wheeling spending makes him looking like a good price now... :cry:

Young
07-08-2004, 11:06 PM

I think he means Luke Jackson.

Shade
07-08-2004, 11:09 PM

I just realized something. This is $68M over 6 years, and Brad was $68M over 7. Holy f-ing *****, that's WAY too much. :blush:[/B]

You aren't the only one who thought about that. ;)

http://www.pacersdigest.com/cgi-bin/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=72573

Hicks
07-08-2004, 11:11 PM
I think he means Luke too.

Peck
07-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Jesus, Kegboy, you're right. Brad was $68 for 7 years, and Boozer is $68 over 6 years. That's more than Brad wanted/got (per year).

All this free-wheeling spending makes him looking like a good price now... :cry:

:scream::scream::scream::meditate:

Ok, now that I have that out of my system. I want to add this.

I would have given Carlos Boozer a max. contract. He is the foundation to which a team can be built on. He is easily a 20 & 10 guy & he plays a physical toughness that few play in this day & age. Plus he is only going to get better.

Having said that, it still was rotten of him to do that to the Cavs.

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 11:22 PM
I would have given Carlos Boozer a max. contract.

Damn, you sure have no problem throwing money around. You paying for Saturday's party, too. :D

---

Shade
07-08-2004, 11:29 PM

Oh... :blush:

Too many Jacksons in this league. :goodnight:

Suaveness
07-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I would have given Carlos Boozer a max. contract.

Damn, you sure have no problem throwing money around. You paying for Saturday's party, too. :D

---

Sweet! Peck, I want an entire cheese pizza for myself. Thanks! :devil:

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 11:52 PM

No, actually he wants one with Peanut Butter on it! :tongue:
---

Suaveness
07-08-2004, 11:55 PM

No, actually he wants one with Peanut Butter on it! :tongue:
---

Are you trying to kill me or something :mad: ?

Please, it eat yourself. I'll stick with cheese thank you :p

Stryder
07-09-2004, 01:24 AM
I'll repost this from an earlier thread:

What Boozer did was wrong. He broke his word.

As Tony Montana once said, "All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."

skyfire
07-09-2004, 01:35 AM
I said in the first Cleveland dont pick Boozer's option thread that I hope this doesn't backfire on the Cavs.

Why can the Jazz (and i'm guessing any other team) offer him so much more than the Cavs can? I'm still trying to get my head around the un/restricted free agent workings. I thought the system was supposed to support players that stayed loyal to a club by allowing that club to give the player bigger increases than other clubs trying to steal them.

LuckyMcPhearson
07-09-2004, 02:34 AM

Oh... :blush:

Too many Jacksons in this league. :goodnight:

:nod: It's confused me too. I was thinking with Boozer leaving, the Cavs might have a greater need for Harrington and Indy could take advantage of it and get Jackson but it can't happen. :sad:

wintermute
07-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Why can the Jazz (and i'm guessing any other team) offer him so much more than the Cavs can?

jazz are under the cap by a large amount. few other teams (right now only denver and atlanta i think) can make the same offer. cavs don't hold boozer's bird rights, so they can only offer their cap space or exception, that's why they're limited.

i believe that cavs were intending to save money long term by doing this whole verbal agreement thing, so i can't say i blame boozer now that he is getting his big bucks.

une
07-09-2004, 07:27 AM

Yeh, they're really annoying.

I like them. How are they annoying?

Fool
07-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Back when Cleveland let Boozer out of his contract I posted that I didn't see it as an altruistic act by the Cavs but rather I thought they were trying to secure Boozer up for less money in the long run.

Since I still think thats what they were trying to do I thinks its simply sweet irony that they end up losing him. I don't like that Boozer basically con'd them into it but the Cavs were trying to do the same to him and in that case I would rather see the individual, rather than the organization, win.

Slick Pinkham
07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Utah's roster next year:

Starters:

Arroyo (25)
Harpring (28)
AK-47 (23)
Boozer (23)
Okur (25)

Backups:

Lopez (24)
Williams (21)
Snyder (21)
Bell (28)
Giricek (27)
Humphries (19)
Borchardt (24)

Average age: 24

and...

Coach: Jerry Sloan

except for a soft C position, they are stacked with good young talent all of a sudden

Unclebuck
07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=aldridge_david&id=1836842

By David Aldridge

Special to ESPN.com

So I'm sitting on the couch with the World Brothers, drinking liquid refreshments and downing some chips, listening to Kornheiser and Wilbon yuk it up, when the phone rings and one of my moles drops dime and gives me the word: Carlos Boozer is signing an offer sheet with the Utah Jazz for $68 million.

Perfect, the younger World -- nice kid, always taking the high road -- pipes up.

"How could Boozer and his agent do that?" Perfect asks. "He promised the Cavaliers he'd sign for the mid-level. That's the only reason they let him out of his contract. He was gonna make $695,000 next year, but he said he wanted a new deal. The only thing Cleveland could do was give him the mid-level and take it out six years. That would have been more than $40 million!"

That's when Real -- the older, more worldly World -- starts in on the Cavs.

"Suckers!" Real bellows. "They got what they deserved. Ain't no way you let a 23-year-old kid who's startin' to blow up in the NBA become a free agent. And he's a big man, too? They're suckers! You don't take nobody at their word when there's money on the table. Everybody's gonna do what they have to."

Perfect is getting angry. I can tell.

"Doesn't your word mean anything?" he asks. "How can anything get done in this league if people don't honor their word? It would have been one thing if the kid was a free agent and the Cavs tried to lowball him with a cheap offer, but they couldn't give him anything more than they offered! That's the rule!"

Real is just as angry.

"You wouldn't last five minutes where I come from," he says. "There were three teams sittin' out there -- Denver, Atlanta and Utah -- that each had more than $20 million in cap room. And Phoenix and San Antonio had more than $14 million each to spend. You've got to be real. You can't let a kid that dropped 17 and 10 the second half of last season out on the market. What did you think was gonna happen? Somebody was gonna drop some cash on him. Big cash."

Carlos Boozer was thought of as a stand-up guy around the league.

Perfect doesn't give an inch.

"What about the Suns and Danny Manning?" he asks. "Jerry Colangelo had gotten Manning out there on a one-year, $1 million deal. He promised Manning he'd get a $40 million contract the following season. And then, while he was on the $1 million contract, Manning blew out his knee. Colangelo had no obligation to make good. But he'd given his word. And he gave Manning the contract."

"So?" asked Real. "When you're the Cavs -- the sorry Cavs -- and you get LeBron James dropped in your lap, you're on the big stage. You're competing with sharks. Rob Pelinka is Boozer's agent. He's Kobe's agent. This is the big leagues. Don't nobody feel sorry for you. You gotta bend some rules to keep your squad together."

"How are the Cavs supposed to ever trust another agent?" Perfect asks. "Or another player, for that matter. You've got to have some trust to be able to run any business. If I tell you that I'll sell 50,000 widgets, and I don't, you go out of business. You have to trust me. And the Cavs trusted him."

"You think the Jazz give a damn about your honor and your word?" Real says. "They're tryin' to win! Nobody felt sorry for them when they couldn't get any free agents there last year. How do you think LeBron's gonna respond to this? His muscle is going to Salt Lake City! You can't be all nice and 'honorable' when you've got a kid that good.

You've gotta keep him happy!"

"That's exactly why I'm giving Cleveland its props," Perfect says. "Gordon Gund, the owner, could have done some sneaky, under-the-table deal like Glen Taylor did with Joe Smith in Minnesota. He could have promised him a max contract if he signed a one-year deal this summer. Then he would have been unrestricted next summer and the Cavs could have given him anything under the Bird rule. But Gund didn't do that. Jim Paxson didn't do that. They are men of honor, and they tried to treat Boozer like one."

"And they got burned!" counters Real.

"This is about more than basketball," Perfect says. "What are you supposed to tell your kids about keeping their word, doing what they said they were gonna do?"

"What do you think?" Real asks me.

Well, I talked to Boozer a few times last season, and he seemed like a real stand-up guy. That's what the Dookies that I know around the league say about him, too. Said he liked Cleveland. Loved playing for Paul Silas. Said it was just a matter of time before he and LB became All-Stars. But he does his own thinking. When you're from Alaska, you tend to do that, I guess. And he's always said that Karl Malone was his idol and his standard. And I can't get mad at a kid who's offered $68 million and can take care of his family and their family and the family after that.

"But what do you think?" Real asks. "Who's right? Who's wrong?"

I don't know. I don't know.

David Aldridge, who covers the NBA for ESPN, is a regular contributor to ESPN.com. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

SkipperZ
07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
If I was paxson i would retire and have my kids leave a message on boozers answering machine saying "thanks a lot" in tears, then while he is living with that guilt, from behind the scenes i would help gund orchestrate enough deals to match boozer's contract, giving kedrick brown to the bobcats for a future second rounder, and after the nuggets realize they got no one to sign, offer them battie and dajuan wagner as a FA consolation prize for a future 2nd rounder.

then i would match boozers contract, then trade him to a crappy team with no real chance of improving like say the celtics for expiring contracts and cheap yougn talent. boozer and ollie for chris mihm, michael stewart and kendrick perkins and al jefferson

get a good draft pick, get way under the cap for next summer, and bulk up on FA's wanting to play wit lebron