PDA

View Full Version : Short blurb from Chad Ford's chat (7/8)

Zesty
07-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Link. (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=5533)

Zane (Indianapolis): After all the talk on draft day and the continued talk that the Pacers are going to be big players in the free agent/trade pool, nothing has happened. What's up with the Pacers?

Chad Ford: (1:48 PM ET ) They are being patient. Donnie Walsh is the master of this process and they're waiting for a few things to fall first. Most likely, Al Harrington will be gone. They want to add a shooter and another center. They made a run at Mark Blount, but didn't get him. Ray Allen may be a possibility.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I'm still hoping this happens somehow.

Young
07-08-2004, 02:49 PM
That's interesting.

I've always wondered what we would offer that Seattle would want.

Harrington-Lewis play the same position and they don't need anoter backup 5.

Harrington/Bender? No because they would be overloaded at forward.

MSA2CF
07-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Al can play PF...Lewis, isn't he a SF?

Hicks
07-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Ray Allen sounds nice, but I don't believe it will happen. He makes a LOT of money, and he could leave after a year. Do we want to risk that? It's like the Gary Payton talks from two years ago all over again. Do we want a rental?

Zesty
07-08-2004, 03:01 PM
I'd like to think that if he came here and made the Finals or won the whole thing that he'd want to stick around. Do I want to risk losing him after a year? Depends what we're giving up.

blanket
07-08-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm sure any team that trades for Allen will receive a guarantee that he will resign, or an extention will be worked out in advance this summer. For the same reason Orlando was forced to trade McGrady to Houston -- even though they might've gotten other offers they thought were better -- because no team would take him without that guarantee.

As for the Pacers and Allen, here's what I think could work:

Pacers trade Harrington, Bender and F. Jones for Allen, then pick up someone like S. Jackson in FA to be a backup swingman at SG and SF, and maybe fill out the roster with the likes of Brian Cardinal and maybe a point guard who can shoot.

The only variable here is Seattle might prefer to have someone like Foster instead of Bender, in which case we'd use that mid-level on a center instead of on S. Jackson.

PacerStud
07-08-2004, 03:20 PM
use that mid-level on a center instead of on S. Jackson.

Who ??

I'll save you the time - there aren't any.

And as far as Allen - He's good - just not 14+ good. And who knows what he wants for his extension. I don't want a guy to come here, play a year and then say 'Well, we didn't win it all, so I'm checking out." Invest wisely. It pays off in the end.

Kegboy
07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
I really, really like Jesus. But as I've said, we don't need an All-Star to be our third option, at least not so much to give up all we'd have to give to get one.

However, I have to admit, the opportunity to get a shooter of his caliber is very, very tempting. But his contract is too much. It won't happen. :shrug:
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.
:duel:

PacerMan
07-08-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm sure any team that trades for Allen will receive a guarantee that he will resign, or an extention will be worked out in advance this summer. For the same reason Orlando was forced to trade McGrady to Houston -- even though they might've gotten other offers they thought were better -- because no team would take him without that guarantee.

Pacers trade Harrington, Bender and F. Jones for Allen, then pick up someone like S. Jackson in FA to be a backup swingman at SG and SF, and maybe fill out the roster with the likes of Brian Cardinal and maybe a point guard who can shoot.

The only variable here is Seattle might prefer to have someone like Foster instead of Bender, in which case we'd use that mid-level on a center instead of on S. Jackson.

How youi planning on adding anyone if you're at the cap already (with Allen) ?????????????

blanket
07-08-2004, 03:56 PM

How youi planning on adding anyone if you're at the cap already (with Allen) ?????????????

that's what the mid-level and vet's minimum exceptions are for - teams over the cap to sign FA players.

mind you, I'd still rather see the Atlanta deal go down than what it'd take to get Allen; but if it has to be Allen, the deals I outlined could work.

sixthman
07-08-2004, 10:22 PM
I'd only be interested in Allen if he agreed to a long-term contract starting at around 10 mil. In that light he becomes interesting because the Pacers salary actually falls next season when Tinsley will need to get a new contract.