PDA

View Full Version : Blount stays with Celtics

birdman
07-08-2004, 12:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1836258
Center Mark Blount agreed Thursday to re-sign with the Boston Celtics, agent Mark Bartelstein told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. The contract, according to Bartelstein, will be for six years, $41 million.

Blount, an unrestricted free agent, was wooed by several teams, notably the Heat and 76ers, but in the end felt like he needed to return to Boston.

"I think Danny [Ainge] and Doc [Rivers] did a great job of convincing him that he would be part of great future in Boston," Bartelstein told Ford. "They stepped up to the plate offering their full mid-level exception and I think at the end of the day, Mark felt like they really wanted him the most."

Blount's contract also includes a 15-percent "trade kicker," meaning that if Blount is traded at any time during the length of the contract, he will receive an additional 15 percent of his remaining salary on top of the salary, a source told ESPN's David Aldridge.

The Sixers made Blount an offer last week, hoping he would want to be reunited with his former Celtics coach, Jim O'Brien, who is now Philadelphia's head coach.

The Sixers may now turn their attention to free-agent forward Brian Skinner, a former 76er who played in Milwaukee last season.

Blount came on in the second half of the season for Boston and established himself as one of the top big men available in free agency. He averaged 10.3 points, 7.2 rebounds, 1.3 blocks and shot 56.6 percent from the field last year.

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2004, 12:07 PM
sorry I duplicated this a minute later.

Hicks, please delete mine.

Hicks
07-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Got it.

Well, that's that I guess.

MSA2CF
07-08-2004, 12:09 PM
The first good move, IMO, by Ainge.

Lord Helmet
07-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Yea I heard that on the ESPN bottomline.He would have been a great fit for us.LB and DW need to do something rather than sit and let all the people we need sign with other teams.I'm starting to think we may not even do anything.:mad:

Skaut_Ech
07-08-2004, 12:16 PM
First of all, btowncolt...LOL!!:lol:

ptom, man, I didn't think he was going back, either. As unstable an environment as the Celts seems to have and the better prospects he could have gotten elsewhere, I gotta think the guy's just short of being a moron. :dunce:

I mean, really, look at the better teams he could have gone to. Maybe it's the big fish in a little pond syndrome. With the lack of big men, he gets to try and be a stud for the Celts. Years from now, with maybe Pierce gone, and the Celts going through their usual mismanagement and turmoil, he's going to look at the teams he could have gone to going deep into the playoffs and realize that he missed the boat.

All and all, I think it's a truly stupid move on his part.
:shakehead:

Lord Helmet
07-08-2004, 12:25 PM
How much $$$ do we have for FA's?

Shade
07-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Crap. Looks like it's down to Dampier if we want to upgrade the 5 now.

Something tells me we'll be standing pat there. :shrug:

Suaveness
07-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Not technically. We did get Harrison. And I think that is a good enough upgrade.

bulletproof
07-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Suaveness this may be the first time you and I actually agree. I like where we are at the 5 right now. We need to strengthen our backcourt. As far as I'm concerned that's what ultimately did us in the playoffs, not our front court. You can toss around all the rebounding numbers from the playoffs you want, but I only have to look at game 4 against the Pistons in the ECFs when Cro was knocking down the long ball and drawing Big Ben out of the paint to know that if we have a consistent outside threat we will demolish most teams. That allowed Ron and Al and JO to pound away on the inside.

ChicagoJ
07-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Ike Austin would be proud.

:spitout:
:lol:

PacerMan
07-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Yea I heard that on the ESPN bottomline.He would have been a great fit for us.LB and DW need to do something rather than sit and let all the people we need sign with other teams.I'm starting to think we may not even do anything.:mad:

Right! Cuz those other teams main interest is in helping US get better, right?? :rolleyes:

PacerMan
07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Suaveness this may be the first time you and I actually agree. I like where we are at the 5 right now. We need to strengthen our backcourt. As far as I'm concerned that's what ultimately did us in the playoffs, not our front court. You can toss around all the rebounding numbers from the playoffs you want, but I only have to look at game 4 against the Pistons in the ECFs when Cro was knocking down the long ball and drawing Big Ben out of the paint to know that if we have a consistent outside threat we will demolish most teams. That allowed Ron and Al and JO to pound away on the inside.

Welllllllll,, kind of......... sort of.
Cro drew that attention because he's a BIG GUY shooting out there. One of THEIR big guys was guarding him.
A 2 guard shooting those shots does nothing to draw their big guys away..........;)

Anthem
07-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Well you guys can be happy but this pisses me off. He's tentatively heading back to Boston. If we'd have offered him MLE money, he could have been ours.

I can't believe we didn't push for him.

wintermute
07-09-2004, 06:32 AM
it's weird. if blount is just asking mle money, any number of teams could have made him an offer. i thought he wanted out of boston? could it be that boston's the only team that offered him that much?

Suaveness
07-09-2004, 10:05 AM

:o

And Freddies the man, yes drawing the big man helps, but adding a shooter is far more effective. Because that will also draw the big man out, since if he continues to be open, double teaming has to happen. And when that occurs, the frontcourt will have opportunities to punish Detroit. And our frontcourt is better than theirs.