PDA

View Full Version : Ainge: Pierce here to stay

TheSauceMaster
07-07-2004, 10:11 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2004/07/07/ainge_pierce_here_to_stay/

July 7, 2004

Trade rumors and calls from teams looking to acquire Paul Pierce undoubtedly will continue this offseason, but Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge would like to put an end to that. He wants Pierce and new coach Doc Rivers to build a strong and lasting relationship, and to that end, Ainge yesterday issued his strongest statement to date about Pierce's future in Boston.

"I don't like to comment on trade rumors, but I want to put an end to speculation about Paul Pierce," said Ainge. "I have absolutely no intention of trading Paul Pierce. I believe we have two special pieces, in Doc and Paul. I want to see them grow together. I believe that relationship will help make the Celtics an exciting and competitive franchise in the future."

SHIRA SPRINGER

Now maybe we can end some PP speculation :devil:

Suaveness
07-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Indeeed :devil:

Gyron
07-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Unless he's playing the game like Donnie Walsh does:devil:

Snickers
07-07-2004, 10:36 AM
"I have absolutely no intention of trading Paul Pierce." = "We are not shopping Jalen Rose."

I don't really want Pierce though, unless Ron isn't in the deal.

ABADays
07-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Danny speaks with fork-ed tongue.

able
07-07-2004, 10:53 AM
music to my ears, when will the trade be announced ???

Slick Pinkham
07-07-2004, 11:07 AM
He has said this many times before in radio interviews that I have heard personally.

When pressed, he always says that he isn't looking to trade Paul Pierce. When pressed, though, he says that he listens to all offers and that if Shaq is tradeable, if McGrady is tradeable, if Kareem and Wilt were tradeable, ANYONE is tradeable.

It's just Clinton-esqe semantics. Pierce is tradable, but the asking price is probably higher than his true market value because of his appeal to the Boston fans. For that reason he doesn't look to move him, but he listens to all offers but has a very high price in mind and won't waste time thinking about offers like Harrington-Pollard, if it were to be made.

Harrington-Bender-Foster and he listens. Of course, I would NOT want that.

Snickers
07-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Let's presume Danny's gotten ahold of one of the infamous "Walsh-ese decoder rings...."

"I don't like to comment on trade rumors, but I want to put an end to speculation about Paul Pierce by finalising a deal," said Ainge. "I have absolutely no intention of trading Paul Pierce until they offer Artest. I believe we have two special pieces, in Doc and Paul, but Doc has negligible trade value. I want to see them grow together, but you've got to understand this is a business. And in businesses, people trade Paul Pierce. I believe that my relationship with Larry will help make the Celtics an exciting and competitive franchise in the future, by which I mean to say it will be the relatively distant future before Bender blossoms into an exciting and competitive player."

Suaveness
07-07-2004, 11:31 AM
:rolleyes:

Hicks
07-07-2004, 12:07 PM
If he hadn't practically said the exact same thing about Antoine Walker last fall, this might be significant. Oh well.

MSA2CF
07-07-2004, 12:20 PM
I heard Doc Rivers say the Celtics are building around Pierce; he won't be traded.

Hicks
07-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I heard Doc Rivers say the Celtics are building around Pierce; he won't be traded.

Because that's just the word of God right there. :rolleyes:

Snickers
07-07-2004, 12:39 PM

Damn right it is!!! :mad:

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/9384/docisgod1.gif

ChicagoJ
07-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Let's presume Danny's gotten ahold of one of the infamous "Walsh-ese decoder rings...."

"I don't like to comment on trade rumors, but I want to put an end to speculation about Paul Pierce by finalising a deal," said Ainge. "I have absolutely no intention of trading Paul Pierce until they offer Artest. I believe we have two special pieces, in Doc and Paul, but Doc has negligible trade value. I want to see them grow together, but you've got to understand this is a business. And in businesses, people trade Paul Pierce. I believe that my relationship with Larry will help make the Celtics an exciting and competitive franchise in the future, by which I mean to say it will be the relatively distant future before Bender blossoms into an exciting and competitive player."

:lol:

MSA2CF
07-07-2004, 04:05 PM

Believe what you will, Hicks.

Merz
07-07-2004, 04:26 PM

No, what that "source" of yours says is the word of God.

able
07-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Pierce will be traded with a 85% certainty, 100% if the offer is valid.

Doc is a nice guy, but a coach on a salary who will immediately state in the press that though the trade was unexpected but that the offer made was on in which certainly in the long term the Celtics would significantly speed up their building process and that it is not every day that you get an All Star on offer to you , with so many "upside".

He will next look forward to continue the rebuilding around the new nucleus.

that said he will call his agent to ask whether he can now discuss a raise or an extension.

TheSauceMaster
07-07-2004, 06:30 PM
If he does trade , I expect to see a lynch mob for a hanging outside the Cletics Arena:laugh: