PDA

View Full Version : Nets Offering Harris For 2nd Pick?

MillerTime
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
The Nets are "said to be willing to part with point guard Devin Harris" to land the second overall pick in next Thursday's NBA Draft.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/18/more-questions-than-answers/
By Ronald Tillery

Hicks
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
That has to be a fake rumor. Or the Nets are morons. Or Devin Harris killed a drifter.

cdash
06-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Again, from the Department of Trade Rumors That Don't Make Any Sense...we have this. Who do they supposedly want with the #2 pick? Rubio? Why trade an All-Star point guard for an unproven point guard? Thabeet? You have your center of the future already with Brook Lopez. Can't see this one happening.

billbradley
06-19-2009, 11:01 AM
maybe they think they can move najera with carter and then only have rubio and lopez on rookie contracts for 2010, still unlikely though

Hitman02
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, this one doesn't make much sense for NJ, but...

What if it was Harris/#11 for Gay/#2?

pacergod2
06-19-2009, 12:27 PM
The Grizzlies are NOT getting rid of Gay. I could see if it was Conley/#2 for Harris/#11, where the Grizz would draft a better PG than Conley. I really don't like Conley's game, but he could be insurance for the Nets if something goes wrong with bringing Rubio over. Once they get Rubio over, they can look to trade Conley.

But I think a deal like this would look more like Harris straight up for the #2 pick. I think that Memphis would be fleecing the Nets at that point but I see the potential marketing and development possibilities.

Speed
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
That has to be a fake rumor. Or the Nets are morons. Or Devin Harris killed a drifter.

Nice job!

CableKC
06-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I was listening to one of the Kings Radio Stations out here in the SF Bay Area and the Sports Radio guy ( I forget his name ) brought up a few good points about not picking Rubio EVEN if he fell to the 4th spot.

There are many legal / Financial issues surrounding Rubio leaving his current team in Spain. According to the SacTown Sport Radio guy, the Team is owned by the Spain equivelant of the IRS ( I think referred to or called "Hacienda"? ). For this specific issue, I'm sure that it would eventually get resolved and Rubio would be allowed to leave his contract back in Spain...but it sounds like there is going to be some hefty legal costs involved.

Despite what has been seen in International Games against NBA Talent ( in the Olympics, etc ) and YouTube, apparentely Rubio hasn't really worked out in heavy duty drills against other Prospects or any team. I thought I heard that his workout with SacTown was very light. I'm not saying that he probably doesn't have any skills from what we have seen on YouTube or in some Games and I'm sure that if he lives up to half the "hype" surrounding him or even all of it in a few years, he'll be worth drafting....but right now, IMHO....it's really but it's hard to really gauge how well he stacks up against other PG talent. IMHO...I don't have enough information from NBA Workouts ( like we have with other Prospects here in the States ) that would give me an idea about whether he could immediately impact any Team that he goes to...or if it would take a few years for him to assimilate into the NBA...which at the 4th pick for the Kings is really important. It's clear that he has a lot of skill and potential....what's unclear to me is how NBA Ready he is and how long it would take for him to where we want him to be.

At least for the 4th Spot for the Kings, I can see some concern there since they have to "hit a homerun" with the 4th pick. Of course, if some other Team later in the draft...like the Warriors or the Knicks...could get him then I can see drafting him as "less risky".

aceace
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Supposedly it will cost 5M this year or 7.5M next year to buy Rubio out which is about 10X what his contract pays. He has filed suit saying this is unfair and it has not went to court yet. I would not draft him unless you are willing to wait 2 years... or you feel lucky. There's no way Nets are trading Harris to draft Rubio. That's like wearing a sign that says "kick me I'm stupid".

Hicks
06-19-2009, 03:23 PM
So say the price tag scares everyone away. Can we afford to take Rubio at 13 knowing we have to wait two years?

Even if the answer to that is yes, I'd imagine that's the same answer ONE of those top 12 teams would have, too.

Trophy
06-19-2009, 03:26 PM
How much longer are they willing to keep Vince Carter? With Harris he's their new star on team with the loss of Kidd, Jefferson and maybe Carter this summer.

Chewy
06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
His team isn't sponsored by IRS "Hacienda", it's sponsored by an insurance company. That insurance company is in debt with the IRS and as a payment or assurance of some sorts transfered the rights of Rubio's buyout to IRS, they basicly paid with an asset which is a players contract. Bizzare situation.

Anthem
06-20-2009, 01:10 AM
So say the price tag scares everyone away. Can we afford to take Rubio at 13 knowing we have to wait two years?
YES.

Even if the answer to that is yes, I'd imagine that's the same answer ONE of those top 12 teams would have, too.
Yeah, probably.

rexnom
06-20-2009, 06:09 AM

He probably doesn't drop past the Knicks. So the question is, if he drops to Washington or Minnesota, do you trade up to get him?

Justin Tyme
06-20-2009, 07:51 AM
He probably doesn't drop past the Knicks. So the question is, if he drops to Washington or Minnesota, do you trade up to get him?

With what? Washington wants to cut payroll, so what do the Pacers have to offer them?

What does the Pacers have to offer Minnesota? 13th and what... Ford/Foster?

YoSoyIndy
06-20-2009, 05:57 PM

The better question is, is he willing to play for a team like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Ok City, Memphis, Indiana? That means he is leaving good money and a fantastic country for a bad team in a dull area of the US. He's 18. He doesn't want to be the new guy who barely speaks English in a boring area relative to the places he's probably been to in US (or at least wanted to visit) -- Miami, NY, LA/

rexnom
06-20-2009, 06:06 PM
The better question is, is he willing to play for a team like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Ok City, Memphis, Indiana? That means he is leaving good money and a fantastic country for a bad team in a dull area of the US. He's 18. He doesn't want to be the new guy who barely speaks English in a boring area relative to the places he's probably been to in US (or at least wanted to visit) -- Miami, NY, LA/
Well, the Pacers were one of the five teams he had named he'd wanted to play for.