PDA

View Full Version : Kravitz: Jennings takes unusual path to NBA draft

BillS
06-19-2009, 09:24 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090619/SPORTS15/906190332/1088/SPORTS04/Kravitz++Jennings+takes+unusual+path+to+NBA+draft

Not going to highlight the whole thing, just one bit buried deep in the mud:

(And, as a follow up, I'm not too bullish on the possibility that DeJuan Blair is the choice, either. There are concerns around the league about his knees, although there were concerns about Danny Granger's knees, too. I'm hearing, though, that Blair didn't blow away anybody in his workout.)

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090616/SPORTS15/906160348/1062/SPORTS04/If+he+is+available++Blair+must+be+the+guy

:wtf::hmm::confused:

Mr. Sobchak
06-19-2009, 09:29 AM
EDIT: Refering to the Blair part...

He's saying he wants him to be the choice but he doesn't think he will be. He's right about Blair's workout not being that impressive...too bad.

Infinite MAN_force
06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Let's put it this way: While I don't know who the Pacers are going to take in next Thursday's NBA draft, I'm pretty confident Jennings, who came in Thursday for a workout, won't be the guy.

Thank you Kravits, I think you just sealed it. We are getting Brandon Jennings. :dance:

OakMoses
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
He's saying that the Pacers can't afford to take a chance on a guy like Jennings because they don't want to be wrong. I don't buy that. I just don't see Bird saying, "Well, I really think that Jennings is the best player, but I feel pretty OK about Lawson, and he's older and has played more basketball than Jennings, so lets pick him." I don't think Bird is going to let his fear of being wrong rule his drafting.

Dukins
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Just say "NO" to Jennings. We are finally headed in the right direction TEAM wise I dont want to take two steps back. Of course I would have to live with it if we drafted Jennings. Count me down for the Say no to Jennings movement though. :censored:

Hicks
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
He's saying that the Pacers can't afford to take a chance on a guy like Jennings because they don't want to be wrong. I don't buy that. I just don't see Bird saying, "Well, I really think that Jennings is the best player, but I feel pretty OK about Lawson, and he's older and has played more basketball than Jennings, so lets pick him." I don't think Bird is going to let his fear of being wrong rule his drafting.

Correct. He'll pass if he thinks Jennings' personality will be a distraction, though. At least I think he will.

Major Cold
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I have yet to see a report that his attitude is an issue. In fact I see links that support that he is a team player.

travmil
06-19-2009, 12:21 PM
When did attitude become Jennings big knock? The only knocks I've seen in scouting reports say that he goes all out all the time and commits turnovers because of it. Or that he tries to make flashy plays too often. I've not seen attitude mentioned once in ANY of the stuff I've read about him.

OakMoses
06-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I think a lot of people associate "couldn't get high enough SAT scores to play college basketball" with "he's got a bad attitude." I know I did until I started reading more about him.

Also, there's a lot of folks who distrust anyone who bucks the system as much as Jennings did.

Speed
06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
This may be a loaded question, but does doing at least well enough on the SAT to get into college relate to sucess on and off the court as an NBA player?

I'd say absolutely yes for the same reasons as the general population.

I'm not saying it's required to score high, but I'd say it suuurrre helps.

idioteque
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
...because it is of utmost importance that one goes to college on an athletic scholarship, takes variations of underwater basketweaving for a year, and then turns pro and never sets foot in a classroom again.

cdash
06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
This may be a loaded question, but does doing at least well enough on the SAT to get into college relate to sucess on and off the court as an NBA player?

Taking a look around the NBA, I'm going to go ahead and say no. Being intelligent can only help, but there are tons of players playing in the NBA that are in the same boat as Jennings. See: Rose, Derrick, and any other player who played under shady John Calipari.

travmil
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM

I don't think so. Every person on the planet has their talent. If school isn't yours, but for some reason basketball is, why would a high test score make you a better player. I would bet every major league sport is filled with guys who couldn't get their name chicken scratched onto an SAT correctly but have played in all star games.

DocHolliday
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't think so. Every person on the planet has their talent. If school isn't yours, but for some reason basketball is, why would a high test score make you a better player. I would bet every major league sport is filled with guys who couldn't get their name chicken scratched onto an SAT correctly but have played in all star games.

That's a slippery slope because if you can't manage a fair score on the SAT, it's likely that you can't process enough forethought to see that it is unwise to be hanging around with your gun-toting buddies at a strip club at 2:30 am or doing 85 on 465 with a bag of weed on your lap.

Major Cold
06-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Why most the world think that standardized testing is a perfect assessment of intelligence?

OakMoses
06-19-2009, 01:53 PM
See: Rose, Derrick, and any other player who played under shady John Calipari.

The implication here would be that Brandon Jennings, by choosing the path he did, is a person of higher character than Derrick Rose.

billbradley
06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
That's a slippery slope because if you can't manage a fair score on the SAT, it's likely that you can't process enough forethought to see that it is unwise to be hanging around with your gun-toting buddies at a strip club at 2:30 am or doing 85 on 465 with a bag of weed on your lap.

low SAT score = life of crime?

billbradley
06-19-2009, 02:37 PM

doing well in school defiantly relates to everyone's success

the general population can't get a decent score on the SAT, yet the majority of the masses "off the court" might be fine while their quality of life could be hindered without higher learning

for athletes, degrees don't equal success, so i would focus more on their upbringing and social structure for character opinions

jenning's high school (dominguez) has been rated #1 in sports in the nation while gaining the lowest marks in cali for academics. the main reason why i applaud his decision to play overseas is because the whole system is stuck in the industrial revolution. factory like schools produce ill equipped kids. jenning's other skills gave him opportunity, and instead of letting that same system use him he used the system. it BS that reddick goes to duke for 4 years, and duke banks off it while reddick doesn't see a dime. he watches coach k commercials and his jersey number flying off the racks and gets nothing outside a scholarship. and reddick is a lucky one, he got drafted and might have a long career. the school systems have been declining in student development and now it's happening in sports. here is a quote from the article count55 posted in the jenning's thread

By Chad Ford
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...ennings-090609

"Jennings' game is all about his athleticism," one prominent European GM told me. "Like many of the Americans we see come to Europe, he just doesn't have a great feel for the game. No one ever taught him how or when to pass. Speed and athleticism are fine. But I want a point guard who puts the team above their own individual game. I don't blame the young man for this. He is just the product of a corrupt development system that is ruining American basketball."

that makes me very angry, sorry to rant

EastSideofNap
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
A multitude of factors contributed to Jennings ending up in Europe. For one, he was simply never that interested in school, and having the available outlet to Professional Basketball certainly wasn't going to prompt him to hit those books any harder. I'm of the opinion that if he really wanted to go to college, he would have sought out, or gotten hooked up with the appropriate tutoring. If you view any of his interviews, he seems like a bright, personable kid. There is no way he is any dumber than say a Micheal Beasley, Bill Walker, OJ Mayo, and a lot of these guys. And since when did SAT scores stop top talent from going to college? (I'm talking top talent, not just very good, the cream of the crop) Jennings just had an easy outlet to Pro ball.

Being the number one player his in high school class, Oak Hill Star, and AAU legend, Jennings was obviously able to develop certain relationships and connections. One of them being AAU 'mafioso' Sonny Vacarro, who with the help of an agent, brokered the deal with Jennings and Virtus Roma. Brandon didn't have to do much of anything, the choice was make a mill in Rome or go to freshmen Econ class, I'm sure it was an easy decision. As far as intelligence, perhaps you've heard of Derrick Rose? That guy can run my team anyday of the week. Rose is a product of the streets of Chicago, AAU, and one year of ball at Memphis that was barely structured, yet still beasted out in his rookie year (something else to think about when you hear someone champion the fact that the Euro league is greater than the NCAA and Rubio played pro ball since he was 14. As we have seen, that style doesn't always translate to the NBA)

Some of the positives that Jennings took from Europe will not show up in a boxscore. He learned some of the veteran tricks that older/bigger guys use. He was taught the pick & roll in Italy, as well as how to simply compete at the professional level. Contrary to what many think, he matured greatly from his rookie year of professional basketball, even donating 50,000 to earthquake victims in Italy.

The on-court criticisms are very much valid, however I do think people have overblown the 'attitude' issues. Jennings has a flashy game with confidence, somehow people have interpreted that has attitude problems or 'street'. I've actually read comparisons to Telfair and Iverson off the court, that's just being lazy in imo. Personality wise, Jennings is a laid back, outgoing Cali kid. He does have his own style though, actually reminds me of another quirky west coast guy Gilbert Arenas. I'm not sure why people want to make Jennings out to be some bad dude..he's not.

Here are some good interviews with Jennings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1b7Zw8lp0

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vIEwQvw-wwg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vIEwQvw-wwg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KoGfgFUXFto&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KoGfgFUXFto&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5MJiCUt-c

Naptown_Seth
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
EDIT: Refering to the Blair part...

He's saying he wants him to be the choice but he doesn't think he will be. He's right about Blair's workout not being that impressive...too bad.
Here's the problem, if his workout wasn't so hot, then WTF is Kravitz really basing his "we gotta get this guy" opinion on?

My opinion is that Bob was pushing the IDEA of Blair, not the hard practical reality of Blair.

Jennings is a pass-first PG with a lot of tricks in his bag. He also put himself in the fire big time already and came out okay. Certainly he didn't flame out, go nuts on his coaches, wreck his car, end up in Italian jail, etc.

Think about the kids his age in college and the crap they get into - AHEM, DUI TY LAWSON. Now think about being far less supervised, with money, in Europe. I mean holy crap if that doesn't reek of disaster. See Rawle Marshall for proof.

So just what about how Jennings handled the last year suggests he is a problem personality? Give me something, not just the idea that he didn't take a hypocritical 1 year of college instead of moving into the job market when it was offered to him.

I mean I'm pro-NCAA 1 yr rule and would support a 2 yr rule even, and I can see going pro in Europe a risky prospect, but I don't fault a guy for doing it. I still like the effect it has which is to force a guy to mature more and develop his game somewhere, as well as allowing for scouts to get a better read on how he's going to fit with their company.

No one minds when companies expect you to have a BS or BA degree before joining them after all. It's not just the education, they want to see how well you fare when pushed by the system; it's a proving ground.

Naptown_Seth
06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
low SAT score = life of crime?
I'll go further, let's put our SAT and IQ scores out here in the open and then everytime there's a debate the guy with the highest SAT/IQ wins and the thread can be locked up for good.

Wow, that will work great. I'm expecting to be "right" a lot more than I normally am.

Please note, I am a "pro-intelligence" when it comes to players and I do think being quicker at picking up things is an asset just like jumping high. But many people aren't put in situations that make the most of this ability scholastically. A person can be smart, can be CAPABLE of learning the right things to score high on the SAT, but has missed those chances up to this point.

Give me 6 months with Jennings and I bet I could get his SAT up to college snuff. The dude survived in Europe for a year, I bet he's picked up enough foreign language to test out of 9 credits right there. He has a bank account now and has to deal with currency conversion, so I bet he knows more algebra than he even realizes.

Besides I have a major issue with someone claiming that morality = intelligence. For chrissake that goes against EVERY SINGLE JAMES BOND FILM EVER. ;)

d_c
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Jason Kidd is regarded as having one of the highest basketball IQs in the game and the guy just barely got a qualifying score on his SATs after several attempts.

duke dynamite
06-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm okay with Jennings.

billbradley
06-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I think I'm being misunderstood, does this fix

low sat score=life of crime? (insert smiley face rolling eyes)

Young
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
There are a lot of questions I have about Jennings.

I will start off though by saying I don't have any concerns with him as a person. I think he seems fine in that regard. Although I didn't care for the shot he took at Rubio. I just didn't see the point. It's not a big deal though.

The hard part about Jennings is not being able to see him play this past year. It's hard to say how he developed and how far along he is.

I don't think he will be a superstar but I do think he can be very good and good enough to lead a team to a championship. I didn't watch pro ball back then but from what I know I think that Kenny Anderson faced some of the same question marks Brandon does when entering the NBA. In terms of being able to play under control.

It's a toss up in this draft. Right now Jennings has moved up on my board the more I learn about him. I'm not big on Flynn or Lawson. I still like Eric Manyor but Jennings might be worth the risk.

No matter what team he goes to I think a lot of people will be watching him since he is really the first American, that I know of, to go from high school to playing professionaly overseas.

Roaming Gnome
06-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm okay with Jennings.

I'll go one step farther and say that I'm hoping to land Jennings. I guess I wouldn't mind having some "swagger" back in the Fieldhouse. The kid looks pretty good to me.

I'm just so tired of any grain of an issue branding a guy as a potential malcontent and undraftable.

Trophy
06-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Jennings has character issues?

Merz
06-19-2009, 11:18 PM
The only "issue" I'd have with Jennings is if he doesn't end up a Pacer. (does that even make sense? oh well)

jeffg-body
06-20-2009, 12:59 AM
The more I have seen of the kid the better I have thought of him. at first I was a no way guy, but now if he is available I would be pro to snagging this kid. I like the idea of a line-up featuring Danny, BRush, Hibby and Jennings in a few years. If we can add a talented 4 player via trade or FA at that time I'd be ok. Heck, Murphy may fit with them ok.

Anthem
06-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Here's the problem, if his workout wasn't so hot, then WTF is Kravitz really basing his "we gotta get this guy" opinion on?
The interview.

My opinion is that Bob was pushing the IDEA of Blair, not the hard practical reality of Blair.
Bob is not alone in this, as has been noted several times.