PDA

View Full Version : What's going on? Alston gets 30 million from Raps!

purdue101
07-07-2004, 12:53 AM
this is getting out of hand. first foyle gets 42 million now this. the raptors could have thrown that money at a guy like troy hudson, who IMO, is much better than alston.

by the way.....espn.com is reporting this.

purdue101
07-07-2004, 01:06 AM
do you think the luxury tax is going to be eliminated? i know the players union and the league are about to negotiate a new CBA. i have heard the union wants it to be taken out of the agreement. maybe the teams have some inside info on this, which is why they are overspending. this would be bad for the pacers b/c teams like NY and LA would load up on talent.

how does a guy like foyle average less than 5 pts and 5 boards and gets 42 million?????

SoupIsGood
07-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Heck... at this rate I could enter free agency, spread a video around of me whooping on some 6th graders, and make a couple million.

kerosene
07-07-2004, 01:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1835443

indytoad
07-07-2004, 01:26 AM
So now that they can't resign Alston, will Miami throw more money at Blount?

IndyToad
More exciting than doing chores

Hoop
07-07-2004, 01:28 AM
This could be bad news for us when Tinsley needs resigned, he's a lot better than Alston.

kerosene
07-07-2004, 01:29 AM
I think Miami just said "Bye Rafer" and would be throwing the mid-level at Blount if that's who they're after. Find a vet for the minimum like Johnson, Breven Knight, whoever is out there. They're going to rely on Wade to stay healthy and just look for someone to cover a few minutes off the bench.

Peck
07-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Gee, that Brad Miller contract looks less overpriced everyday.:scream::grumble::banghead::dance:

Anthem
07-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Peck, I think you're a half-empty kinda guy. I was thinking that Jeff Foster deal looks better all the time.

Young
07-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Wait ESPN says its 29 over 6 which is right around 5 million a season. Thats basicly the MLE.

That is not overpaid by that much.

And Hoop, I wouldn't worry about Tinsley to much. I think we can extend him this fall in October. Wait a minuate, worry about him because we gave Bender 6. But everyone gets high now and then, I guess. Seriously though, Tinsley will be kept in Indiana. He hasn't put up great numbers yet so if we sign him this summer it will probably be starting at 6 and increasing from there.

Hicks
07-07-2004, 02:27 AM
They gave him the MLE. Oh the horror.

Young
07-07-2004, 02:29 AM
They gave him the MLE. Oh the horror.

What will some say if we sign Stephen Jackson for the MLE?

Hicks
07-07-2004, 02:38 AM
Probably something similar. :unimpressed:

You do realize I was being sarcastic in my last post, right?

Young
07-07-2004, 02:40 AM
Probably something similar. :unimpressed:

You do realize I was being sarcastic in my last post, right?

Yeah, thats why I asked about Jackson. I was partly being sarcastic myself but partly serious.

Hoop
07-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Wait ESPN says its 29 over 6 which is right around 5 million a season. Thats basicly the MLE.

That is not overpaid by that much.

And Hoop, I wouldn't worry about Tinsley to much. I think we can extend him this fall in October. Wait a minuate, worry about him because we gave Bender 6. But everyone gets high now and then, I guess. Seriously though, Tinsley will be kept in Indiana. He hasn't put up great numbers yet so if we sign him this summer it will probably be starting at 6 and increasing from there.

These numbers are getting so carried away I forget 5 or 6 million a year for a contributing player is a bargain these days.

No wonder my tickets have went from 12 to 70 bucks over the last 18 years. :mad:

Unclebuck
07-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Good year not to have any free agents.

I wonder what AJ will get.

ABADays
07-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I don't know why but I have always had strong feelings Tins and his agent are going to try and make the Pacers pay for his benching early last season.

themachotaco
07-07-2004, 09:52 AM
From the Stein ESPN article linked above...
...the Heat was reportedly hoping to split its $5 million mid-level exception between Alston and a power player such as Boston's Mark Blount.

This is what many of these posts perhaps missed... Miami thought Blount could be had for only the portion of the MLE, so perhaps his $$ value was not originally as high as we thought, although now Miami could use all of its MLE toward Blount, and use the 1mil or vetmin to get a backup PG.

Kegboy
07-07-2004, 10:52 AM
I wonder if Miami wishes they'd drafted Nelson now.
---
:duel:

bulletproof
07-07-2004, 11:00 AM

These freaks who wonder if Miami wishes they'd drafted Nelson now. It's too depressing to think about all the issues they must have. Probably not held enough as infants, or something. It's sad, really. :shakehead:

Hicks
07-07-2004, 12:09 PM

These freaks who wonder if Miami wishes they'd drafted Nelson now. It's too depressing to think about all the issues they must have. Probably not held enough as infants, or something. It's sad, really. :shakehead:

Do not start some childish game with each other. I hate that.

75Ranger
07-07-2004, 12:47 PM
I guarantee by next summer Toronto will be looking will be looking to get rid of that bad contract. I don't understand why teams are looking to give 5-6million for role players off the bench. Its kind of hard for somebody like Dampier who in my oppinion is only worth the MLE not to command 10million when he sees somebody like Alston, Okur, Blount all get the MLE.

Ultimate Frisbee
07-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Don't get me wrong... I like Adonal Foyle... but how do you legitimize spending that much on him??!!??

I'm not surprised about Alston... The deal is not Croshere-esque

SkipperZ
07-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Alston is worth every penny...

I called for the pacers to sign him last summer... with isiah still our coach for half the summer it owuld have been an easy sell (Isiah is rafer's idol) and he is one damn fine player.

IMO every bit as worth it as troy hudson, who has (like croshere) only shown it really in one playoff series, is more of a scoring guard than a distributor, and is less of a defender as alston. Not to mentionhe just missed all last season with injury. actually i think rafer is worth twice what hudson is.

SkipperZ
07-07-2004, 01:15 PM
oh but i agree foyle getting that much is ridiculous (as was nash's contract)

Arcadian
07-07-2004, 01:19 PM
The legnth of the contract is more surprising to me than the amount. Six years is a long time to hold on to a back up point guard.

SkipperZ
07-07-2004, 01:27 PM
i dont think they expect him to come off the bench...

Kegboy
07-07-2004, 01:42 PM

:chuckle:

Took me a minute. Hard to remember what I post from one day to the next.

It's okay Hicks. I thought it was damn funny.
---

themachotaco
07-07-2004, 01:44 PM
The legnth of the contract is more surprising to me than the amount. Six years is a long time to hold on to a back up point guard.

That's really true, and says to me that Alston probably (or at least his agent told the Raps he was) getting MLE offers from other teams, too.

Smells kind of like the Kevin Ollie deal last year -- journeyman PG who has a good year, finally gets a multi-year deal... and not long after the team is looking to trade him because he's on the books for too long.

Alston is a nice piece to put up there in Toronto, and I agree with the sentiment that he might be a starter. The only problem I see with his game is that it took him his whole career until he got under a fundamentals coach like SVG to really flourish. How good will he be under first year coach Sam Mitchell?

Hicks
07-07-2004, 02:05 PM

---

I often confuse this kind of humor for hostilitiy. My bad.

Kegboy
07-07-2004, 02:08 PM

---

I often confuse this kind of humor for hostilitiy. My bad.

He might have meant it to be hostile, but I just thought it was funny. :p
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.

Fool
07-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Alston averaged comparable numbers to Tinsley even as a backup. And Toronto will make him the starting point guard so less than 5 mill a year for a good starter (assuming his numbers go up as a starter) is a very good contract. Personally, I'd rather have Alston then Tinsley. Alston looks to me to be a story of a guy who has to work to get into the league so he appreciates the opportunity.

Tinsley
Pts - 8.3
Fg% - 41.4
Asts - 5.8
TO - 2.6

Alston
Pts - 10.2
Fg% - 37.6
Asts - 4.5
To - 2.8