PDA

View Full Version : Portland/Indiana

ESutt7
06-18-2009, 08:49 PM
As we approach draft day, perhaps we strike a deal with a familiar draft day trading partner: the Portland TrailBlazers. Portland is looking to fix up their PG position, and they have some cap space. So I propose

Pacers select Ty Lawson at #13 (or whatever PG they like best, Jennings, etc etc.)

The Pacers trade TJ Ford to Portland
The Blazers trade Martell Webster and #24

WHY for IND?: That's assuming that the Blazers wouldn't give up Outlaw, who would be the better pick up IMO. Webster was hurt last year, but he was a pretty good 3P shooter before that. He has the size/length to be a nice 2/3 shooter/defender off the bench behind Danny and Brandon. We also get the 24th pick, as compensation for taking on a 4 year deal, and maybe we could get a 2nd too. I believe the deal is pretty reasonable for a backup, assuming health of course.

IND picks up their PG of the future at 13 (best value), and gets a later pick to grab a big or use in another trade, as well as possibly another 2nd rounder.

WHY for POR?: They don't touch their key rotation, while picking up a legit starting PG. Their cap can absorb it, and Ford's contract isn't too long to be an issue. If you're in the West you better be able to beat LA. Lightning quick PGs gave them fits, so Ford would be a problem for them. Portland already causes a lot of problems for LA and Ford would help. He would relieve some pressure from Roy in the backcourt. In the wrong situation for Ford (vs. Billups?) Portland can use a bigger PG like Blake to defend Billups. The talent is obviously greater than what they'd get at 24 and with their 2nd as they have too many young bodies as is.

Ideally we'd get Outlaw who can hit the 3 and play defense, but I'm not sure that he'd be available. If he was I'd definitely trade for him instead. Thoughts? Is it fair, would either or both do it?

d_c
06-18-2009, 08:53 PM
I think as Count mentioned, that's a very reasonable deal but something that Portland probably wouldn't want to spend their cap space on.

pacergod2
06-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Portland has 11 roster players right now. They have five draft picks, #24, #33, #38, #55, and #56. They absolutely have got to get rid of one pick for sure. Two if they plan on bringing back Channing Frye (restricted). I think this is an acceptable deal. I actually think Martell Webster has better trade value than Outlaw. Webster has more upside than Outlaw, and in this case, being signed to a longer deal is actually better for his value, because Outlaw will probably end up making more than Webster after this year. Webster has a VERY reasonable deal considering he has four more years left on it, while still being very young. He has $20M owed to him compared to 17M for two years of Ford. I think next year's player option for Ford will be an issue though because Aldridge and Roy need to be re-signed next off-season.

I love this deal though. Don't know what their cap holds look like though, so it may need to be 125% +100K. I would assume their rescinded their Bird rights on Raef, and their holds wouldn't be much on Ruffin or Randolph. So I would think this would be OK.

Jonathan
06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I worked up a trade very similar to this: Another draft deal day with Portland. I do think both Portland and Minn will be major player in this year's draft.

ESutt7
06-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I worked up a trade very similar to this: Another draft deal day with Portland. I do think both Portland and Minn will be major player in this year's draft.

What was yours?

jeffg-body
06-20-2009, 01:11 AM
I'd be ok with that, especially if we could somehow get Outlaw, but Webster is ok as well.

pacergod2
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I would prefer Webster. He is younger and clearly has more talent. Outlaw is a player I really like as well. But if you want a player with higher upside, then the better option without question is Webster. And for us, trades like this are how we get All-Star caliber talent. Just like the Portland deal last year. Jack and McRoberts have just as much upside as a player like Bayless IMO. And on top of that, we got the player we wanted, who will have a much better career than Bayless. I would love this Webster deal.

Lurker
06-21-2009, 04:13 AM
I would be very happy to see this go through. I think it does make good sense for both teams, although I could see Portland trying to keep their pick at #24 and instead offering one or more second round picks. Would you still do it for Webster/#33? Webster/#38?

Alternatively, do you see Portland being willing to buy a pick from one of the other teams and use that? How about trading a couple of their 2nd round picks (with non-guaranteed contracts) to a cash-strapped team for a 1st round pick (with a guaranteed contract)? Or, the Pacers could bundle a second round pick received from Portland with their own second round pick and try to move up into the end of the first round....

I don't care how it gets done, but I wouldn't mind the Pacers having a shot at Hansbrough with a later first round pick....

OakMoses
06-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I just can't see Portland trading for a guy who's going to do nothing but take the ball out of Brandon Roy's hands.

They could get a much better fit by trading for a guy like Hinrich (better shooter & defender, who plays well off the ball) or signing a guy like Andre Miller.

If they wanted a guy who plays like TJ Ford, they could just let Bayless play.

d_c
06-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I just can't see Portland trading for a guy who's going to do nothing but take the ball out of Brandon Roy's hands.

They could get a much better fit by trading for a guy like Hinrich (better shooter & defender, who plays well off the ball) or signing a guy like Andre Miller.

If they wanted a guy who plays like TJ Ford, they could just let Bayless play.

Correct. They don't want a dribble pounding PG to pair with Roy. That's why they took Bayless full well knowing he wasn't a traditional PG by any means.

MyFavMartin
06-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Only 1st rounders are guaranteed so those other picks can be made, brought into camp, and waived.