PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Talk: I Think It's Time to Bring In Lamar Odom

rocksballer58
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have to pick between Trevor Ariza and Lamar Odom to whom to sign and whom to go into free agency. Pardon the Interruption says that the Lakers should pick Trevor Ariza instead of Odom. Many people on the Internet say so as well.

And guess what?

The possibility of that happening is positive, so really, it's going to happen. And right now, the Pacers' bell should be ringing. They have to think about bringing in this wonderful kid, who just won his first NBA Championship.

And there may be a possible chance of him winning it again if he falls with the Pacers. With such superstars like T.J. Ford, Brandon Rush, Danny Granger, Jeff Foster, Marquis Daniels, Mike Dunleavy, Roy Hibbert, and Troy Murphy, it's time to bring in a new face to the team.

And the kid's name is Lamar Odom.

The Pacers have spread interest in Odom before in the 2007-2008 season when Jermaine O'Neal was at his worst in his career with Indiana. The Pacers were interested in Odom at the starting of the 2006-2007 season.

There were many trade rumors swirling that the Pacers would trade J.O. for L.O (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMFd-VK5BrI). And I actually thought it would happen, but I didn't want one of my idols to leave my favorite team for good. He did.

The Pacers traded Jermaine O'Neal to the Toronto Raptors for the fastest player in the NBA, T.J. Ford. Although T.J. Ford isn't a superstar point guard (just an above average one), he became a quick star with the Pacers, having career-highs in many categories.

But however, the Pacers could have went after a much better player in Lamar Odom. The Lakers would have agreed to the deal if they traded J.O. for Odom. Odom has all the skills. He has the size to take advantage of people with his 6'11" frame. He also can shoot as I have seen him hit big shots like shots from behind and above the arc.

He's pretty much like Troy Murphy, who has the same exact size and can do the same thing. But Odom is a thousand times better at it. And it's true, and hopefully, I think many of you agree with me on that.

When the O'Neal for Odom rumors spread, both players felt pretty happy actually going to a new home. Odom said he was, but not much of O'Neal, who was the heart and soul of the team at the time. People then expected too much out of him as they thought of Kobe Bryant with the Lakers (http://footbasket.blogspot.com/2009/06/is-too-much-expected-out-of-kobe-bryant.html).

I think Odom can fit very well with the Pacers squad. And when the Pacers sign him, I think they can be the team to beat as the Cleveland Cavaliers, Chicago Bulls, Milwaukee Bucks, and Detroit Pistons chase after them to lead the division. Odom can make a very big difference, for sure.

The Pacers have struggled with rebounding. But with Odom on the team, I think they can be pretty successful. As watching some Pacers games on FSN, I have seen the Pacers go shoot for the long ball (many people dig it), and when one of the Pacers' shooters don't make it, no one is up at the rim to compete for the rebound.

And with Odom in, I think the Pacers will have a new lineup. A more improved one as well. I think they'll change completely as they probably might start Ford at point guard, Granger as shooting forward, Rush at shooting guard, Odom at Power Forward, and they think about putting Roy Hibbert as a starting center maybe.

It'll be a much different team, but a much better team as well. And every Indy fan will love that, wouldn't they? I think it's time to change, and the Pacers should.

The Pacers had three chances at getting Odom:

Trading T.J. Ford for Odom
Trading Jermaine O'Neal for Odom
Trading Ron Artest for Odom

Now they can't waste their fourth opportunity, which may be their last. It's time to bring him in.

Bring in the candy-obsessed Odom, because he can make a huge difference. And with him on the team, an NBA Finals title may be inching closer and closer by the second. And no one would take down that chance, would they?

I bet not.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

CableKC
06-18-2009, 07:18 PM
How do you propose that we acquire Odom?

We have no capspace and we have no trading assets to get him? Offer Foster+filler for Odom?

duke dynamite
06-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I think we can trade Jermaine O'Neal for Lamar Odom.

Crap.

Wait...

MillerTime
06-18-2009, 07:48 PM

Crap.

Wait...
:laugh::laugh:

Tiny Archibald
06-18-2009, 07:49 PM
J.O. was 'one of your idols' ? Yikes. I implore you, seek help !

Eindar
06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Lamar Odom has already stated point blank that he would never play for a team that wasn't near the beach. I don't think Lake Michigan counts.

ESutt7
06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
And there may be a possible chance of him winning it again if he falls with the Pacers. With such superstars like T.J. Ford, Brandon Rush, Danny Granger, Jeff Foster, Marquis Daniels, Mike Dunleavy, Roy Hibbert, and Troy Murphy, it's time to bring in a new face to the team.

:hmm:That is one HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE stretch!!!! You think us getting Odom makes us Championship contenders? Yikes. I didn't realize Ford, Rush, Foster, Daniels, Dunleavy, Hibbert, and Troy were superstars....

cdash
06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Lamar Odom has already stated point blank that he would never play for a team that wasn't near the beach. I don't think Lake Michigan counts.

I'm sure his agent wanted to shoot him in the face for that imbecile comment. I can't remember exactly what he said, but my guess is that he will follow the money, like the rest of the players in the NBA. That said, I'm sure Larry Bird would love to get his hands on Odom, but we would have to give him a hefty contract, and we just don't have the assets or money to get it done.

Mr_Smith
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Odom pulls too many disappearing acts for me. :mad:

indyman37
06-18-2009, 08:39 PM
He's pretty much like Troy Murphy, who has the same exact size and can do the same thing. But Odom is a thousand times better at it. And it's true, and hopefully, I think many of you agree with me on that.
Really? With the exception of their ppg (14.3 to 11.3), rpg (11.8 to 8.2), ft% (0.826 to 0.623), and 3p% (0.450 to 0.320); categories in all of which Murphy leads Odom; their statistical performances this past season were quite similar in my opinion.

d_c
06-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Really? With the exception of their ppg (14.3 to 11.3), rpg (11.8 to 8.2), ft% (0.826 to 0.623), and 3p% (0.450 to 0.320); categories in all of which Murphy leads Odom; their statistical performances this past season were quite similar in my opinion.

Well, good thing those stats tell you everything you need to know about the types of players they are and how they impact the game.

d_c
06-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Odom pulls too many disappearing acts for me. :mad:

Even with his disappearing acts, underachieving and inconsistencies in his career, Odom right now is a better player than anyone on the Pacers roster not named Granger and always has been. He was the 3rd best player on a team that went to the Finals for two years in a row and won one championship.

Hate on the guy all you want, he's had a very productive career.

indyman37
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, good thing those stats tell you everything you need to know about the types of players they are and how they impact the game.
No, that's not at all what I meant to imply. There are definitely more to players than just statistics. But the way I read the initial post was that Odom's game blew Murphy's out of the water, and I don't think thats the case.

Putnam
06-18-2009, 09:01 PM

The Pacers traded Jermaine O'Neal to the Toronto Raptors for the fastest player in the NBA, T.J. Ford. Although T.J. Ford isn't a superstar point guard (just an above average one), he became a quick star with the Pacers, having career-highs in many categories.

I'm confused.

d_c
06-18-2009, 09:07 PM
No, that's not at all what I meant to imply. There are definitely more to players than just statistics. But the way I read the initial post was that Odom's game blew Murphy's out of the water, and I don't think thats the case.

I don't know what the exact standard of blowing someone else's game out of the water is, but it's clear Odom is just a better player who's had a better career.

Bottom line: Opposing teams are worried and concerned about how they match up with Odom, because he's a living, breathing matchup problem. He affects game planning and strategy between his team and the opposing team.

Opposing teams generally aren't very concerned with how they match up with Murphy.

ESutt7
06-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm confused.

He became a star...c'mon man...didn't you know?!

indyman37
06-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't know what the exact standard of blowing someone else's game out of the water is, but it's clear Odom is just a better player who's had a better career.
I'm just saying that comparing Odom to Murphy isn't as one sided as, say, comparing John Stockton to Eddie Gill.

But I completely agree that Odom has had the better career and is overall, the better player.

Trophy
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Crap.

Wait...

I'd rather trade O'Neal for him instead of Ford.

Trophy
06-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Troy's backup at PF.

Smoothdave1
06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
I think Odom is a good player, but is he the best fit for the Pacers? Probably not. If we were a team on the brink of winning a title (Dallas, Denver, Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, etc) then it might make sense. But Odom is 29 and turns 30 later this year and is looking for that last big contract. I don't want to have the Pacers tied to a contract for the next 3-5 years paying Odom 10 million a year.

Trophy
06-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I think Odom is a good player, but is he the best fit for the Pacers? Probably not. If we were a team on the brink of winning a title (Dallas, Denver, Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, etc) then it might make sense. But Odom is 29 and turns 30 later this year and is looking for that last big contract. I don't want to have the Pacers tied to a contract for the next 3-5 years paying Odom 10 million a year.

He shoots 3's and that's a good fit in our system.

Smoothdave1
06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Let's look at the facts:

-- Pacers have no cap space to sign Odom outright (unless he signs for a million or 2 year)
-- Pacers aren't willing to lock up an aging player who turns 30 the first week of the season for 3-5 years at 10 million a year
-- To realistically obtain Odom it would have to be a sign-and-trade deal and L.A. would have to be a willing trade partner and want a player(s) on our team. Other than Granger, whom would they really want?
-- Pacers aren't one player away from winning a ring; let's make the playoffs first and go from there

So tell me how or why we could or should acquire Odom?

jeffg-body
06-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I just don't see the fit with the team other than the jacking up 3's and poor defense?

Anthem
06-19-2009, 12:20 AM
I like LO. But there's no way on earth he comes here, for all the reason SmoothDave lists.

Moving on.

Sollozzo
06-19-2009, 12:25 AM
We don't need Odom right now and Odom sure as heck doesn't want us. And I seriously doubt he wants to spend his last good years on a team rebuilding. Plus, this guy probably wants to play in a big market. I love Indianapolis, but I seriously doubt a guy that has spent 9 years of his career in Los Angeles and 1 year of it in Miami would want anything to do with playing in small, cold, Indianapolis.

I think he stays in LA, but at worst (from his point of view) he settles for a team that is at least somewhat of a contender.

Smoothdave1
06-19-2009, 12:37 AM
The other thing about Odom was that when he was rumored to be heading to Indy in the JO deal, he wasn't thrilled one bit. I think he suggested the only way he would be okay with being traded was if he were to receive a long-term contract extension.

If this were the Pacers team from 5 years ago I would have been on board with an Odom deal, but as I mentioned before, Odom is seeking that last big contract and I don't think the Pacers are in a position to offer him that. If he goes to a team that's on the brink of being in the finals or winning a ring like a Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Houston, etc. then it makes a lot of sense as he could be the one guy that gets you over the hump. But I'm not on board with trading for a guy who will be 30, is probably on the downside of his career and will suck up almost 20% of our cap for the next 4-5 years simply to add a couple of wins potentially.

Lance George
06-20-2009, 07:51 PM
He was the 3rd best player on a team that went to the Finals for two years in a row and won one championship.

Hate on the guy all you want, he's had a very productive career.

He also won an average of 31 games a season through his first six years in the league (four with the Clippers, one with Miami, one with the Lakers). Those same championship Lakers were stuck in mediocrity until Kobe landed a much better side-kick in Gasol.

Very productive might be stretching things a bit. Nice role player, but not someone we need to be actively pursuing. Let's also not forget he has a history of marijuana use and has been injury prone in the past. Not the interior defender we need, either.

A big no to Odom.

d_c
06-20-2009, 08:27 PM
He also won an average of 31 games a season through his first six years in the league (four with the Clippers, one with Miami, one with the Lakers). Those same championship Lakers were stuck in mediocrity until Kobe landed a much better side-kick in Gasol.

Very productive might be stretching things a bit. Nice role player, but not someone we need to be actively pursuing. Let's also not forget he has a history of marijuana use and has been injury prone in the past. Not the interior defender we need, either.

A big no to Odom.

He was the 2nd best player on a Miami team that advanced to the 2nd round. In addition, the Lakers were already a very good team last season BEFORE they acquired Gasol.

He's a 15 and 8 player who creates all kinds of mismatches and headaches for opposing teams. He's also a better defender up front than anyone on the Pacers not named Jeff Foster. This guy would've been the Pacers 2nd best player for the past 2 seasons, and frankly he's had a better career than anyone on the Pacers so far (you could argue Granger, who still has a lot more left to do).

I would say no to Odom for the Pacers as well. At this stage of his career, Odom and the Pacers are a bad mix. The Pacers aren't what Odom is looking for and vice versa. He's just a much better player than a lot of people give him credit for and that's the only point I'm trying to make.

Shade
06-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I have never been an Odom fan, but I'd welcome him for the right price.

Trophy
06-20-2009, 09:34 PM
He's a bit pricey, but I'd say he's worth the money.

MyFavMartin
06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Pacers don't have the cap space or the trading pieces that the Lakers would want, so Lamar would say to Hoosiers that the point is moo.

speakout4
06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
The biggest reason to just forget this is that Odom just doesn't want to be here.

Cobol Sam
06-20-2009, 11:44 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have to pick between Trevor Ariza and Lamar Odom to whom to sign and whom to go into free agency. Pardon the Interruption says that the Lakers should pick Trevor Ariza instead of Odom. Many people on the Internet say so as well.

And guess what?

The possibility of that happening is positive, so really, it's going to happen. And right now, the Pacers' bell should be ringing. They have to think about bringing in this wonderful kid, who just won his first NBA Championship.

And the kid's name is Lamar Odom.

The Pacers have spread interest in Odom before in the 2007-2008 season when Jermaine O'Neal was at his worst in his career with Indiana. The Pacers were interested in Odom at the starting of the 2006-2007 season.

There were many trade rumors swirling that the Pacers would trade J.O. for L.O (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMFd-VK5BrI). And I actually thought it would happen, but I didn't want one of my idols to leave my favorite team for good. He did.

But however, the Pacers could have went after a much better player in Lamar Odom. The Lakers would have agreed to the deal if they traded J.O. for Odom. Odom has all the skills. He has the size to take advantage of people with his 6'11" frame. He also can shoot as I have seen him hit big shots like shots from behind and above the arc.

When the O'Neal for Odom rumors spread, both players felt pretty happy actually going to a new home. Odom said he was, but not much of O'Neal, who was the heart and soul of the team at the time. People then expected too much out of him as they thought of Kobe Bryant with the Lakers (http://footbasket.blogspot.com/2009/06/is-too-much-expected-out-of-kobe-bryant.html).

I think Odom can fit very well with the Pacers squad. And when the Pacers sign him, I think they can be the team to beat as the Cleveland Cavaliers, Chicago Bulls, Milwaukee Bucks, and Detroit Pistons chase after them to lead the division. Odom can make a very big difference, for sure.

The Pacers have struggled with rebounding. But with Odom on the team, I think they can be pretty successful. As watching some Pacers games on FSN, I have seen the Pacers go shoot for the long ball (many people dig it), and when one of the Pacers' shooters don't make it, no one is up at the rim to compete for the rebound.

And with Odom in, I think the Pacers will have a new lineup. A more improved one as well. I think they'll change completely as they probably might start Ford at point guard, Granger as shooting forward, Rush at shooting guard, Odom at Power Forward, and they think about putting Roy Hibbert as a starting center maybe.

It'll be a much different team, but a much better team as well. And every Indy fan will love that, wouldn't they? I think it's time to change, and the Pacers should.

The Pacers had three chances at getting Odom:

Trading T.J. Ford for Odom
Trading Jermaine O'Neal for Odom
Trading Ron Artest for Odom

Now they can't waste their fourth opportunity, which may be their last. It's time to bring him in.

Bring in the candy-obsessed Odom, because he can make a huge difference. And with him on the team, an NBA Finals title may be inching closer and closer by the second. And no one would take down that chance, would they?

I bet not.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

You seem to be in to sports writing. I remember another post you had a while back that appeared as though you put a lot of energy in to it. Here is to hoping the put downs don't keep you from writing in the future and developing your skills. :buddies: