PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer Blount or Dampier?

Anthem
07-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Well?

Anthem
07-07-2004, 12:15 AM
I'm probably the only guy on the board that doesn't like the idea of getting "Stone Paws" Dampier.

MSA2CF
07-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Nope, I'm with you, Anthem.

Hicks
07-07-2004, 12:31 AM
I'd prefer Blount.

Unclebuck
07-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Give me Blount. I don't want Dampier.

bulletproof
07-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Blunt. Er, I mean Blount.

SoupIsGood
07-07-2004, 01:14 AM
That poll should allow 2 responses or something... kind of a bad poll.

Lord Helmet
07-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Blount, hes younger and is still improving.

Hoop
07-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Blount

kerosene
07-07-2004, 01:35 AM
I went with Blount also. I've seen enough Dampier during his "down" times to make me think he's not going to change for good. If he does, great!, but I'm skeptical. I also don't think Damp fits in with the current team very well. I'd prefer the Pacers focus on acquiring an outside shooter above anything else.

Anthem
07-07-2004, 01:42 AM
That poll should allow 2 responses or something... kind of a bad poll.

Help me out here... how would you have said it?

I tried to account for one major difference between the two... Damp is looking for twice as much money. I'd take Blount even if the money were even, but I know some people would prefer Damp if that were the case.

I was trying to get a poll that accounted for the $$$ difference while still figuring out which player people would rather have if cash weren't in question.

What would you have posted?

Grant
07-07-2004, 09:08 AM
I would prefer Dampier, but I think btoh of them are out of MLE range. Dampier will definitely get more (he turned down $8+ mil to become a free agent).

And sadly, the way money is flying around, I think someone is going to offer Blount more than the MLE too (maybe $6-7 mil) and he will probably get about 10 offers for the MLE.

To sum up. I think either would require a sign and trade involving Harrington

DisplacedKnick
07-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Blount would be a better fit. Dampier has this idea he's a post scorer. You already have a post scorer. Blount has this idea he's a defender & rebounder and will hit a 10-15 foot jumper when he's left alone.

BTW - I didn't vote. Blount won't get as much as Dampier and the Pacers have almost no shot at Damp anyway.

ChicagoJ
07-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Dampier is going to command more money because he's a better player. Period.

However, he may not be a better fit with the Pacers.

Which begs the question of whether the Pacers would be better off re-tooling around a PF/C combination of JO and Damp or bringing in Blount because he's somewhat of an upgrade over Foster?

Clearly, if the Pacers went the JO/ Damp route then they would need to change SFs and SGs, too, as they would need guys in those roles that were perimeter threats - not slashers.

In my opinion, JO and Damp would be interchangable at all three post postions (both blocks and the high post).

I don't like to call guys out very often for effort/laziness because IMO the average fan can't tell whether a typical professional player is playing hard or not. There are exceptions (read: Derrick Coleman in his youth) where everyone knew a player was loafing but I think that the notion that a certain player isn't "playing hard" gets thrown around on the internet and sports radio way too much. :twocents:

Ragnar
07-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Is Mikki Moore and answer?

We dont need to go hog wild here. Sign Mikki to the million dollar exception and use him as fosters backup. He finaly got some pt in Utah and was really coming on at the end of the season.

Use the mid level to sign Jackson and we would be fine. We would not have lost any players. Then we could move Al with someone like Pollard to a team way under the cap like the Hawks for a draft pick and cut payroll that way.

Unclebuck
07-07-2004, 10:13 AM
I think Blount becoming a Pacer is highly unlikely. read this morning that he wants to decided this week and the Sixers are prepared to offer the whole MLE. The Celts are also a possibility.

There was an article out of Washington DC about the Wizards interest in Dampier. Damp is saying he wants to go to a playoff team. Of course the Pacers are a playoff team, but so are the Grizzlies.

Jay I agree with you, if the pacer do aquire Damp a change of the forwards will be needed

Unclebuck
07-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Oops

bulletproof
07-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Is Mikki Moore an answer?

We dont need to go hog wild here. Sign Mikki to the million dollar exception and use him as fosters backup. He finaly got some pt in Utah and was really coming on at the end of the season.

Use the mid level to sign Jackson and we would be fine. We would not have lost any players. Then we could move Al with someone like Pollard to a team way under the cap like the Hawks for a draft pick and cut payroll that way.

This is too easy, isn't it? After all our discussions about Brad and the team's overall finances, I can't imagine that management is in the position to add salary this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing something a little bolder than what you're proposing, but it does make the most sense given the team's payroll and the fact that we really don't need to do much to improve this team.

Hicks
07-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Did someone just suggest trading Al for capspace? :puke:

75Ranger
07-07-2004, 12:38 PM
I would rather have Dampier only because Im not sold at all on Blount. You know how teams overate big men when they are available and usually overpay them.

The fact that Blount hasn't had much interest around the league tells me something that we might be overating a little bit. Hes a nice guy to have on your roster but I don't know if I would give him the full MLE.But if Dampier is going to get 8-9million a year and getting Blount for the MLE is the only way to improve our low post defense I guess you have to do it if your Walsh.

Im not crazy for Dampier but if both were available for the MLE I would take Dampier in a heart beat.He brings everything we need defensively, very physical, very good rebounder, and pretty good low post defender.

Offensively Im not crazy about his game, but hes not going to get alot of shots anyway. With Artest taking a ton of shots, Oneal getting his15-17shots and then if you add a free agent sg there's not going to be many shots available anyway other then putbacks.With that being said I would not overpay him I wouldn't give him Brad Miller money.

Ragnar
07-07-2004, 01:00 PM
This is too easy, isn't it? After all our discussions about Brad and the team's overall finances, I can't imagine that management is in the position to add salary this summer. I wouldn't mind seeing something a little bolder than what you're proposing, but it does make the most sense given the team's payroll and the fact that we really don't need to do much to improve this team.

So sign and trade Harrington to the Hawks for Jackson but only have jackson at the mid level. That would cut over a million off the payroll. That and the loss of Primo gives us enough money to sign Moore to a million dollar exception.

Jackson would be able to play both the 2 and the three. Moore could play both C and pf. I think thats all we would need to do. We were extremely close all we need is someone like Q-Rich (who we dont seem to be in the running for or Jackson.

We will need to replace Harringtons scoring but hopefully Jackson and Moore will provide that.

Skaut_Ech
07-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Is Mikki Moore and answer?

There's a guy who I can't figure out. Hes got th4e tools to really be something. Be nice if maybe we COULD get him for the exemption.