PDA

View Full Version : 2 Round - 22nd pick

MillerTime
06-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Theres so much talk about the #13 pick, its like we're neglecting the 2nd round pick. Who do you guys think we should pick up with it?

Take a look at Paul Harris...Hes a really good, young swingman with great defense

Gamble1
06-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Theres so much talk about the #13 pick, its like we're neglecting the 2nd round pick. Who do you guys think we should pick up with it?

Take a look at Paul Harris...Hes a really good, young swingman with great defense
Trade up and get pendegraph.

blanket
06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
If TPTB really like a player who's projected to go in the early 2nd, I'd like to see them package the two Dallas 2nds (this year's #52 and their 2010 2nd) for one of Portland's 2 early 2nds (#33 or #38). Jeff Adrien, DeMarre Carroll, Jeff Pendergraph, Taj Gibson, Danny Green, or Toney Douglas could all probably be had in that range, but most likely will be gone by our current pick at #52.

If we keep #52, I'd hope for one of these players there, although I like what I've read about Paul Harris as well. Alade Aminu might be another one to consider.

Major Cold
06-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Aminu thinks he can be an Chris Andersen type player.

LG33
06-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I think we outta draft Stanko again just to be sure he doesn't slip away to another team.

Tom White
06-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Aminu thinks he can be an Chris Andersen type player.

You mean he wants his arms covered in ink and a scary hair do?

Pacemaker
06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
We don't have a 22nd pick it's the 52nd.

count55
06-16-2009, 02:48 PM
We don't have a 22nd pick it's the 52nd.

It's the 22nd pick in the 2nd round...(30 + 22 = 52)

Jonathan
06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I have three players I am targeting: All three might be around @ 55

Lester Hudson-straight scorer, not a spot on the floor he won't shoot from. Very Quick. Had a quad double (steals, ast, points, rebs)

Jodie Meeks- wing player, scorer, went to Kentucky. It is a stretch he is around here

Jerel Mcneal- good shooter, went to Marquette

Wish one drops :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Josh Heyvelt, Taj Gibson, Demerre Caroll, Jack Mclintoch, & Danny Green.

croz24
06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
trade up for jodie meeks

beast23
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
It's a second round pick... the odds of getting a player of any value in the second round is remote. So, I certainly would not trade two second round draft choices to move up to a better position in the second round.

Second rounders can sometimes be used as filler in trades, so the more you keep, the more you have to trade with.

And, at the very least, since getting a player of value in the second round is unusual, but has happened on occassion, I'd just as soon have multiple second round picks with which to increase the odds of getting "lucky". So, I wouldn't combine next year's second rounder with this year's just to get a higher pick in the second round. You are probably just as likely to get a player that can contribute with the 52nd pick as you are with the 35th pick... neither is likely to get us a player that be here beyond a year or two at most.

cdash
06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
It's a second round pick... the odds of getting a player of any value in the second round is remote. So, I certainly would not trade two second round draft choices to move up to a better position in the second round.

Second rounders can sometimes be used as filler in trades, so the more you keep, the more you have to trade with.

And, at the very least, since getting a player of value in the second round is unusual, but has happened on occassion, I'd just as soon have multiple second round picks with which to increase the odds of getting "lucky". So, I wouldn't combine next year's second rounder with this year's just to get a higher pick in the second round. You are probably just as likely to get a player that can contribute with the 52nd pick as you are with the 35th pick... neither is likely to get us a player that be here beyond a year or two at most.

Agreed. Well said.

BleedBlue
06-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Paul Harris out of Syracuse was the one guy I thought of when I read the title. A star in high school, Harris never flourished under Jim Boeheim but over three years, averaged 8 boards a game as a small forward in the toughest conference in the country. He's tough, well built, quick and runs the break extremely well. His jump shot isn't amazing but it's definitely improved over his time at SU. Had the chance to meet him when I was an intern in the Syracuse athletic office.. nice guy.

A few plays like this wouldn't be a bad thing either....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epjfgoQiz1A&feature=PlayList&p=2F62DBB12363E397&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12

Trophy
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Chris Johnson with the 52nd pick.

Justin Tyme
06-16-2009, 04:43 PM

I couldn't agree less. Granted this is a weak draft, but if a couple of Denver #50 plus picks could net the 31-36 pick this draft Bird would be foolish not to do it. There are 5-8 good possibilities of getting a decent player in this range.

Brandon Bass
CJ Miles
Ronny Turiaf
Travis Diener
Von Wafer
Monta Ellis
Louis Williams
Andray Blatche
Ryan Gomes
Amir Johnson
Marcin Gortat

Those are all 2nd round picks......................................... from 2005!

NapTonius Monk
06-16-2009, 04:45 PM
?

I deleted my post. I was wrong.

DGPR
06-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Trade up for Jodie Meeks or get one of the Marquette guards, Jerel Mcneal if possible. We need somebody to pack some scoring punch off the bench if Dunleavy takes long to return.

cdash
06-16-2009, 05:30 PM
What makes you guys so certain that we need to trade up in order to get these guys?

DGPR
06-16-2009, 05:41 PM
What makes you guys so certain that we need to trade up in order to get these guys?

Jodie Meeks was a scoring machine at Kentucky, somebody will almost certainly take a flyer on him in the early part of the second round.

cdash
06-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Okay, I get that, but players like that are available in the second round every year. Why trade extra assets to get him this year?

ChicagoJ
06-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Let's trade up and get James White... that worked so well for us.

Kraut N Beer
06-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I hope we get someone with lots of college experience that can help right away, but that means that they likely will have a talent ceiling.

My order if they are still there:

Dionte Christmas (I think he will be like Eddie House, but better)
Taj Gibson (is moving up the mock board and likely won't be there)
Jerel McNeal

Justin Tyme
06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Let's trade up and get James White... that worked so well for us.

LOL touche! Let's just hope Bird does a better job of selecting a player with something between his ears and with the right type of friends.

jeffg-body
06-16-2009, 11:41 PM
If we can package those 2 Dallas 2nd rounders why not. We are likely to get more of an effective player out of the 2nd round if we can get into it early rather than the 52.

Coop
06-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Like I posted in tbirds last analysis, I like Derrick Brown from Xavier. Big guy, lots of potential, good on defense. Other than him, I like Meeks and Danny Green. There's a good chance none of these guys will be at 52 though. If they're all gone, I really don't have any interest in anyone else. At that point you have to take the guy with the most potential.

croz24
06-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Jodie Meeks was a scoring machine at Kentucky, somebody will almost certainly take a flyer on him in the early part of the second round.

i'm all about meeks as well, but let's remember he was only a scoring machine that one year, and on a bad team no less...i think it'd be great if we brought in dominic james somehow. james was the heart and soul of those marquette teams and could help bring in fans with his hoosier ties.

CableKC
06-17-2009, 12:43 AM
If we draft some 2nd round pick that is worth keeping, I really hope that it's from some pick between 31 to 38. At the 52nd pick, we're gonna end up with another European that we are never going to see.

Justin Tyme
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
If we can package those 2 Dallas 2nd rounders why not. We are likely to get more of an effective player out of the 2nd round if we can get into it early rather than the 52.

A Sam Young or Jeff Pendergraph would be nice.

DGPR
06-17-2009, 07:32 AM
i'm all about meeks as well, but let's remember he was only a scoring machine that one year, and on a bad team no less...i think it'd be great if we brought in dominic james somehow. james was the heart and soul of those marquette teams and could help bring in fans with his hoosier ties.

Even if he doesn't get drafted at least bring him into camp.

MyFavMartin
06-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Landry from Wisconsin is another I'd like besides the guys that have been mentioned here (Heytvelt, Meeks, McNeal).

Gortat might be interesting. Zeller?

billbradley
06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Chris Johnson with the 52nd pick.

i hope we don't have to even use a pick to get him, but i think he could be real special. his numbers aren't as solid as his skills because he is a pf playing c with a sf at pf. i think if anthony randolph and johnson had switched positions last years, johnson would have had the numbers. tasmin mitchell at 6'7 235 was their pf this year (he will be sf this coming season) and johnson's numbers slid. maybe if he was playing with some height (hibbert) he could blossom.

espns draft prospect on

anthony randolph 6'10 205
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19157

Positives: A super athletic big man with a long wingspan. Explosive leaper. Skilled. Can score with his back to the basket or by sinking a 15-footer. Has excellent speed for a big man. Runs the floor very well. Has shown that he can be a serious force on the boards and as a shot-blocker.

Negatives: Lacks strength. Needs to add a lot of muscle to his frame. He gets pushed around on both ends of the floor. While he has a reliable outside shot, he doesn't have deep range. Poor free-throw shooter. Still raw with his low-post moves.

brandan wright 6'10 208
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19023

Positives: Wright is a super long, athletic big man who spends most of his time around the basket. Runs the floor very well and knows how to get to the rim. Very quick and explosive. Can be a smothering defender.

Negatives: Strength is a major issue. He needs at least 20 pounds or more to play his position in the pros. Lacks great perimeter skills at the moment. At times he plays with a lack intensity. Will float at times. His rebounding and shot-blocking numbers are a little disappointing considering what he's capable of.

chris johnson 6'11 210
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19362&draftyear=2009

Positives:

# Long, athletic, lanky big man
# Huge wingspan
# Explosive leaper
# Excellent shot blocker
# Solid rebounder
# Runs the floor well
# Quick for a big man
# Decent mid range game

Negatives:

# Needs to add lot of strength
# Raw offensively
# Low basketball IQ
# Old for his class

im not saying wright and randolph are proven, or that just because similar things are said about players they have the same potential. my point is spending a second round pick or less on a player favoring lottery picks (that i think this forum likes) that could fit our style would be great. and if we did pick blair in the first while landing demarre carroll with 2nd and signed johnson i wouldn't have any concerns at pf, if you throw enough at the wall somethings gotta stick.

Trophy
06-17-2009, 11:22 PM
i hope we don't have to even use a pick to get him, but i think he could be real special. his numbers aren't as solid as his skills because he is a pf playing c with a sf at pf. i think if anthony randolph and johnson had switched positions last years, johnson would have had the numbers. tasmin mitchell at 6'7 235 was their pf this year (he will be sf this coming season) and johnson's numbers slid. maybe if he was playing with some height (hibbert) he could blossom.

espns draft prospect on

anthony randolph 6'10 205
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19157

brandan wright 6'10 208
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19023

chris johnson 6'11 210
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19362&draftyear=2009

im not saying wright and randolph are proven, or that just because similar things are said about players they have the same potential. my point is spending a second round pick or less on a player favoring lottery picks (that i think this forum likes) that could fit our style would be great. and if we did pick blair in the first while landing demarre carroll with 2nd and signed johnson i wouldn't have any concerns at pf, if you throw enough at the wall somethings gotta stick.

He would be a good summer league player or a preseason player.

If not him I like Ahmad Nivins at 52.

croz24
06-17-2009, 11:24 PM
goran suton is a player who could be worthy of a late, late pickup.