PDA

View Full Version : Wells: Monday Workouts

ESutt7
06-16-2009, 12:50 AM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2009/06/mondays_workout.html

THE `BURBS - The Pacers worked out their best group of players Monday.
The marquee attraction was at point guard where North Carolina's Ty Lawson, UCLA's Jrue Holiday, Wake Forest's Jeff Teague and Florida State's Toney Douglas worked out. Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair and Michigan State's Goran Suton were the big men the Pacers brought in.
I hear Lawson looked the best of all the point guards because he has good court awareness and a natural feel for the position
The knock against the former Tar Heel is his size.
Lawson had a difficult time going against Holiday, who has four inches on him and is a superb athlete.
Blair, who makes up for his lack of height by using his 7-2 wingspan, definitely looks like he has slimmed down since the end of the season.
Besides possibly giving the Pacers some much needed toughness in the post, Blair is also good in the community, which would be an added bonus for the blue and gold.
I hear Blair surprised some kids at a community center in his hometown of Pittsburgh when he showed up unannounced and started reading to them recently. It wouldn't hurt the Pacers if they got another player that enjoys being a positive influence in the community.
One player who will likely be available when the Pacers pick at No. 13 that was missing out of the group of point guards was VCU's Eric Maynor.
Maynor, who is almost 6-3, is expected to be at the fieldhouse on Wednesday. It would have been good to see how Maynor measured up against the rest of the point guards Monday.
Lawson's teammate at North Carolina, Tyler Hansbrough, is scheduled to workout Friday.
There has been some talk about guard Brandon Jennings, who played overseas last season, possibly coming in for workout.

Sounds like we will have worked out virtually everyone that has been discussed....

I think if we want Holiday we'd trade up.

Trade down for Teague (unless they're really convinced of his upside, but I don't think he can be a true point), Maynor, or Hansbrough if he has a good workout.

If we stay at 13 it looks to me like it'd be Lawson, Blair, or Johnson. I could see NJ taking Blair or Johnson though.

I wonder if there is truth to the rumors of us wanting another late 1st. If we picked Johnson/Blair we could get Teague/Maynor or possibly Lawson in the 20s. Or it could be a PG at 13 and maybe Hansbrough in the 20s?

Placebo
06-16-2009, 01:12 AM
There has been some talk about guard Brandon Jennings, who played overseas last season, possibly coming in for workout.

That part is very interesting for me. So Maynor, Hansbrough and maybe Jennings are next. And I guess that'll wrap it up for the #13 candidates. So as far as I know, Flynn, Hill, Clark, Henderson, Daye and Twill hasn't been to Indy for a workout. Interesting... Currently I have Flynn, Hill, Clark and Daye all sliding past #13.

tadscout
06-16-2009, 01:16 AM
From what I have read Hansbrough's stock/ draft range has risen to 11-20 w/ his good measurements and his surprisingly great athletic test results from the combine...

I'm thinking #13 will be between Blair, Hansbrough, and Johnson... unless someone surprisingly drops...

and with the Hornets willing to deal their pick (http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59840/20090616/hornets_could_look_to_get_rid_of_1st_round_pick_ag ain/)... (allong w/ other teams) I think we can get another 1st to get 1 of Lawson, Maynor, and Teague...

If we go PG with 13 and go for another 1st I'd think it would be a wing (as long as all those big men have been taken)... Budinger, Daye, or Young (has T Williams worked out for us?)...

DrFife
06-16-2009, 01:19 AM
That part is very interesting for me. So Maynor, Hansbrough and maybe Jennings are next. And I guess that'll wrap it up for the #13 candidates. So as far as I know, Flynn, Hill, Clark, Henderson, Daye and Twill hasn't been to Indy for a workout. Interesting... Currently I have Flynn, Hill, Clark and Daye all sliding past #13.

Hill sliding past #13?? Hill's the only guy I imagine us (realistically) trading up for.

Placebo
06-16-2009, 01:23 AM
I mean he'll go top 10 for sure but I don't rank him as high. Few months ago I wrote that he looked like an hybrid between Amir Johnson & Hilton Armstrong and I still think he is just not very good. Honestly I wouldn't trade up for anybody in this draft. Maybe Tyreke Evans but I am not sure about that either.

imawhat
06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm getting very excited about the draft. It's hard to wait around..

It's getting very hard for me to not like Blair. I don't like his game at all, but he's making it difficult to not like his toughness or his personality. We'd have the coolest frontcourt in the game with Hibbert/Blair/Granger.

James Johnson is another well-spoken, intelligent player with a mean streak. I don't think he's a good fit because he WANTS to be a three, when he appears to be a possible four. I LOVE his shooting percentages though. That's exactly the kind of guy the Pacers need. We need efficiency.

If Jrue had Blair's personality I'd be all over him. But he doesn't.

I want no part of Ty Lawson.

Teague is an intriguing guy to pick up as a bench player. You can never have enough scoring punch off the bench.

I would love to have Jennings, if for no other reason than his cockiness/flare. I think we could use an injection of flare.

tadscout
06-16-2009, 01:36 AM
I Love Blair's personality too... and there was a good point made in his video today... Charles Barkley was just 6'6 as well :p

Placebo
06-16-2009, 01:39 AM
I Love Blair's personality too... and there was a good point made in his video today... Charles Barkley was just 6'6 as well :p

He was more like 6'4 :D

tadscout
06-16-2009, 01:49 AM
He was more like 6'4 :D

Well, then makes the point even better! :happydanc:p

Naptown_Seth
06-16-2009, 02:49 AM
If the Pacers come back into the late first I'm assuming it's for Teague or Hansborough.

Coop
06-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Charles Barkely was also better on the perimeter and much more athletic than Blair. That's a terrible comparison.

count55
06-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Can we get a language filter for "Charles Barkley?" At this point, these comparisons are getting obscene.

owl
06-16-2009, 08:35 AM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2009/06/mondays_workout.html
Or it could be a PG at 13 and maybe Hansbrough in the 20s?

That would be a good draft for the Pacers as much as I like Blair. Perfect would be
Blair and Lawson.

MillerTime
06-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Hill sliding past #13?? Hill's the only guy I imagine us (realistically) trading up for.

what about Evans?

Kegboy
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Can we get a language filter for "Charles Barkley?" At this point, these comparisons are getting obscene.

We'll just go back to comparing Chase Buddinger to Larry Bird then. :tongue:

DrFife
06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
what about Evans?

I imagine that, like nearly all of us at PD, TPTB admire Evans' skill set. Gotta love that length & athleticism in the backcourt. However, there seems to be some questions about whether he'll be effective at PG. Moreover, I'm suspicious -- just a suspicion on my part -- that he may not be viewed comfortably as a fit here in terms of style/character/background/attitude.

ESutt7
06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Memphis players haven't worked out well for us....j/k But in regards to Evans, he struggled greatly at Memphis when he was not the PG. He's not used to not having the ball in his hands. Perhaps that changes down the road. But as of right now I don't think he's considered to be a highly intelligent PG, just a very athletic combo guard, but one that you can't run off screens for jump shots. He needs the ball, but isn't one to run an offense per say.

And with the rumors of the #19 pick and #21 pick being available basically to buy, I REALLY hope we get one. While this may not be a "superstar" type draft, I think we could definitely get key contributors to a very good team. We could certainly pick Johnson, Blair, or even Hansbrough at 13, then Maynor or Teague and possibly Lawson would be at a later spot.

Reading the paper this morning, I liked what all of them had to say. I don't think Holiday will be there and don't think we'd take Teague at 13. But Blair, I really liked despite all of my concerns about his height and the reports on his knees. Lawson, I loved his confidence. I agree with Owl right now: one of Blair or Johnson and Lawson would be an awesome draft.

I'm optimistic right now that we will have a second straight strong draft and really see the pieces being put in place for some very good teams down the road, like our 90s Pacers.

PacerDude
06-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Charles Barkely was also better on the perimeter and much more athletic than Blair. That's a terrible comparison.That would be 'turrabul'.

naptownmenace
06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
That would be 'turrabul'.

:laugh:

Any short PF is going to be compared to Barkley. We should just accept that it's going to happen. It started all the way back with Clarence "Baby Barkley" Witherspoon.

Speed
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
It says now on the blog that Gerald Henderson is set to come in on Friday, I could have sworn he was already here once. Am I wrong? It's very possible, I can't find an interview with him on Pacers.com either.

"Lawson's teammate at North Carolina, Tyler Hansbrough, and Duke's Gerald Henderson are scheduled to workout Friday."

Naptown_Seth
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Has this really happened on here? I couldn't think of two guys more opposite from basically the same position and size.

Brent Barry comes to mind much quicker than Larry. 3ball, athletic, great hops, not a big passer. Chase showed more defense last year than Brent ever did of course, but otherwise not that far off IMO.

LG33
06-16-2009, 12:59 PM
"Lawson's teammate at North Carolina, Tyler Hansbrough, and Duke's Gerald Henderson are scheduled to workout Friday."

Maybe they're bringing in the Blue Devil to fire-up the two Tar Heels?

Mr. Sobchak
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
It says now on the blog that Gerald Henderson is set to come in on Friday, I could have sworn he was already here once. Am I wrong? It's very possible, I can't find an interview with him on Pacers.com either.

Henderson has not been in yet.

CableKC
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
or comparing Buddinger to a more athletic Dunleavy.

ESutt7
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
BUMP

Wells updated the blog with Wednesday's workout AND....

MAYNOR vs. JENNINGS, Thursday, Conseco Fieldhouse Indianapolis, IN! Get your tickets now!