PDA

View Full Version : Omri Casspi - Could the Pacers be considering him?

naptownmenace
06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Word out of the workouts from the past week is that Omri Casspi has been tearing it up on the court and making a name for himself.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/New-Jersey-Group-Workout-Wrap-Up-3259/

Comments from observers in the gym:

“Austin Daye vs. Omri Casspi turned into a real wrestling match. Casspi just manhandled Daye, really threw him around. It was a bit disappointing to see how little Daye was able to compete from a strength perspective—Casspi is a kind of a skinny guy himself. At one point Casspi cut Daye’s lip open--he had to go to hospital for stitches. The Nets should have done a better job of getting someone to call fouls. Casspi was fouling the hell out of Daye. Some of the guys were looking at each other like ‘what are we watching here?’

Casspi was impressive, just like he’s been everywhere he’s gone. He plays hard, competes. He hit tough shots. Step-backs, runners. Then he missed some wide open J’s—go figure. He hits the toughest shots, but can’t always make the easiest ones. He looked like he could be a great complementary player in a 5 on 5. Definitely an atypical player for a European."

He's listed as 6'9", 211 pounds and he played SF/PF. His build reminds me of a Rashard Lewis/Danny Granger type and his game seems to be similar as well. He's only 20 years old but has professional experience playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv the past couple of years.

Maybe some of our international members can give us some firsthand feedback on what type of player he is and whether or not he'll make a good impact in the NBA.

Also, do you think he could be on the Pacers radar either at pick 13?

Jonathan
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes, what is funny is I just got done reading his player profile on draft express today. They mentioned he has an unorthodox jumps shot but plays with a lot fo emotion.

Here is the link

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/European-Roundup-Casspi-Coming-Along-3126/

Speed
06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Doesn't have a contract in Europe, I think it's not a huge buyout, but I think I've seen mention that someone could draft him and leave him over there a couple of years. I think I've also seen that he plans to play in the NBA next year, so I'm not sure what is the reality on this.

Jonathan
06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
by: Jonathan Givony - President, Matt Kamalsky

Here are the authors of the link I posted!!!

idioteque
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I have been a fan of this guy, he is a really intriguing prospect. 13 is probably way too early for him, he will probably be picked in the late first. He would be a second round pick in a better draft, but still, possibly worth taking a flier on late in the draft.

naptownmenace
06-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Check out the interview he did for NBA.com:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/draft/2009/06/08/nba_20090608_casspi_draft.nba/

ChicagoJ will probably love this guy! ;)

Jonathan
06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
I have been a fan of this guy, he is a really intriguing prospect. 13 is probably way too early for him, he will probably be picked in the late first. He would be a second round pick in a better draft, but still, possibly worth taking a flier on late in the draft.

Keep in mind that Larry Bird has no problem rolling the dice. The Pacers are also on a three year plan. You hint at this not being a great draft, why not take a flier on a 20 year old international swingman. Right Now Dunleavy is not in projected to be around till January. The odds are higer the Pacers are in the lottery not the playoffs next year.

Justin Tyme
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
He'd have to get a lot stronger to play PF than he currently is. I see no reason to draft him when the Pacers have Lorbek and Stanko in Europe unless both aren't worth bringing over in the future. I can't see waisting a 1st round pick to add another Euro player. Bird needs help from a pick NOW not 3 years down the road.

Slick Pinkham
06-15-2009, 04:11 PM
He may have the aggressiveness of a forward, but 221 pounds? That ain't going to hold any ground down low on O or on D in this league.

Maybe a big 2, with an outside shot that is a work in progress. Not a thilling idea, to me, anyway.

naptownmenace
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
He may have the aggressiveness of a forward, but 221 pounds? That ain't going to hold any ground down low on O or on D in this league.

Maybe a big 2, with an outside shot that is a work in progress. Not a thilling idea, to me, anyway.

I wasn't necessarily saying they would draft him with the thought of him being an answer at PF. Even if he was to play some PF, he'd be more of a matchup-problem-causing player like Rashard Lewis, Robert Horry, or Dirk at PF.

I'm in the camp that thinks the Pacers should swing for the fences with the 13th pick this year. Pick the guy you think has the best chance of becoming an All-Star within 3-4 years. Casspi seems to have the right mix of athleticism, agressiveness, and determination to be that kind of player. Plus his idol is Manu Ginobili - so he's got that going for him. :cool:

tadscout
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7opOAH7iARM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

All the comparisons I've seen is of him being a Andres Nocioni/ Matt Harpring type player... sooo a tough nosed physical 3 that could play 4 if matching up against a small line up, or playing small ball yourself...

All the mocks I've seen show him going 20's to early 2nd... He's ready to come over and contribute now... but if a contender drafts him and don't need him for their rotation, he can stay over for another year or so...

naptownmenace
06-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Should the Pacers manage to get a second first round pick later in the draft, this is the guy they should target.

Jonathan
06-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Should the Pacers manage to get a second first round pick later in the draft, this is the guy they should target.

I would not mind him at 13. He is very young (20) and tough/physical. Our team has lacked these elements since Artest went Artest. That is if James Johnson is not around. I do not think he will even have a better pro career than Earl Clark but he will fill a need for the Pacers that our current team lacks. I would draft this kid over Jeff Teague.