PDA

View Full Version : PD member Mark Boyle 10-1 on 1070

Jonathan
06-15-2009, 10:36 AM
He is covering for Dan Dakich till Wed you can listen to him on 1070 AM from 10am - 1 pm.

count55
06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
I had forgotten how much I liked his shows from the '90's.

Pacers
06-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Much different than him on the Pacers broadcast. In just his first segment he called Alonzo Mourning an idiot, called Mike Turico an average broadcaster, and admitted he knows nothing about college basketball and this nothing about the draft.

Liked it much more than Dakich.

Unclebuck
06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Tirico IMO is not great play-by-play radio or play-by-play TV guy. But I think he is great in studio situations. Whether he is hosting a draft, a pre or post game show, or anything along those lines.

Jonathan
06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Just got done laughing about his admission of not going to dentist for 17 years. He is doing a real good job and it is worth listening to.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Crap! I just woke up and missed his Monday show. I have to be sure to catch the next two days.

vnzla81
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Much different than him on the Pacers broadcast. In just his first segment he called Alonzo Mourning an idiot, called Mike Turico an average broadcaster, and admitted he knows nothing about college basketball and this nothing about the draft.

Liked it much more than Dakich.

yeah, I like him better than Dakich, DD only talks about him, IU and Bob Night

OakMoses
06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Tirico IMO is not great play-by-play radio or play-by-play TV guy. But I think he is great in studio situations. Whether he is hosting a draft, a pre or post game show, or anything along those lines.

Agreed. I like Tirico much better than Dan Patrick on the ESPN Radio show.

Tom White
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
yeah, I like him better than Dakich, DD only talks about him, IU and Bob Night

I've listened to Dakich since he started, and I really have to disagree with that.

PacerDude
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I've listened to Dakich since he started, and I really have to disagree with that.Yeah - Dan has got better as the show has gone on. He has some good insight and connections that make it interesting.

Boyle on the other hand, sounds arrogant and uninterested.

Slick Pinkham
06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Tirico IMO is not great play-by-play radio or play-by-play TV guy. But I think he is great in studio situations.

I actually listened to a lot of the playoffs on radio (I'm kind of a radio guy).

While Tirico was merely OK, having the analysis of Hubie Brown and Dr. Jack made it very enjoyable. I kept trying to listen to the radio and watch the TV, but it was never in sync. Some games it was only a second or two ahead, but other games the radio was like 6 seconds ahead of the TV at least.

The 9PM start games often I'd just go to bed a halftime :geezer: and have a radio earbud and isten to the end. by-crackies.

Will Galen
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
While Tirico was merely OK, having the analysis of Hubie Brown and Dr. Jack made it very enjoyable. I kept trying to listen to the radio and watch the TV, but it was never in sync. Some games it was only a second or two ahead, but other games the radio was like 6 seconds ahead of the TV at least.

If you have cable hit the pause button on your remote for the required time. I did that and listened to Mark and Slick all last year while watching the game.

Roaming Gnome
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Boyle on the other hand, sounds arrogant and uninterested.

Strongly disagree. To me, Boyle comes across as being sophisticated and genuine.

PacerDude
06-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Strongly disagree. To me, Boyle comes across as being sophisticated and genuine.Well, then we agree to strongly disagree.

Sophisticated ?? Oy ................

Country Boy
06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Dan's style gets old after awhile, while Mark's approach seems to be much more polished. Dan trys to be funny while Mark is funny.

vnzla81
06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Dan's style gets old after awhile, while Mark's approach seems to be much more polished. Dan trys to be funny while Mark is funny.

yeah, he talks about the same thing over and over again and then finish quoting Bob night, or how he remembers that Samson was the one who destroyed IU basketball, I like the guy but he needs to talk about other things, not just college basketball.

Kaufman
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Count are you referring to the old show he used to do on 1260 wnde on Sunday mornings? Great stuff, witty dry humor. But if memory serves right I thought mark made an admission that he disliked doing talk radio?

Kegboy
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I don't understand why you guys are starting a flame war over Dakich vs. Boyle when that dip**** Kravitz airs on the same damn station. :shakehead :loser2:

vnzla81
06-15-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't understand why you guys are starting a flame war over Dakich vs. Boyle when that dip**** Kravitz airs on the same damn station. :shakehead :loser2:

I will take Kravits and Eddie over DD all day, they are funny and don't talk about the same thing for hours, I would also take them over JMV and his poor imitation of Jim Rome.

Slick Pinkham
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
If you have cable hit the pause button on your remote for the required time. I did that and listened to Mark and Slick all last year while watching the game.

Nah, Direct TV and a set with rabbit ears and a digital box. The local broadcast was always a few seconds behind, and the direct TV was a few seconds MORE behind. I don't have TIVO, so I couldn't make it work without warping space-time and ripping a hole in the fabric of the universe, revealing the alternate dimension where Uncle Buck has a beard and all of thunderbird's posts are one-liners. Oh, and in that universe Tinsley actually PLAYS ;)

Jose Slaughter
06-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I will take Kravits and Eddie over DD all day, they are funny and don't talk about the same thing for hours, I would also take them over JMV and his poor imitation of Jim Rome.

If by funny, you mean dumbass, then I agree

count55
06-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Count are you referring to the old show he used to do on 1260 wnde on Sunday mornings? Great stuff, witty dry humor. But if memory serves right I thought mark made an admission that he disliked doing talk radio?

Actually, he had an afternoon drive time show in the early/mid-90's on 1260, when the Pacers were just taking off and were on there. I liked it, primarily because I liked him, but also the show was more centered on topics that I liked.

I don't have an opinion on Dakich, as I rarely listen to Sports radio anymore...the thing that bugs me the most is the 40 minutes of commercials per hour.

Also, I don't particularly like schtick...which is what guys like Dan Patrick, Eddie Whatshisface, Colin Cowherd, Mike & Mike, and Jim Rome do. It's all too much like a character they're playing, and there's simply nothing particularly real about them...there's too much that's just hitting people for reactions.

Boyle's certainly is a guy who's pretty open about his likes and dislikes. IIRC, he used to refuse to talk about racing, among other things. I'm sure that didn't go over too well with some.

ABADays
06-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Oh God - no.

Unclebuck
06-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Actually, he had an afternoon drive time show in the early/mid-90's on 1260, when the Pacers were just taking off and were on there. I liked it, primarily because I liked him, but also the show was more centered on topics that I liked.

I don't have an opinion on Dakich, as I rarely listen to Sports radio anymore...the thing that bugs me the most is the 40 minutes of commercials per hour.

Also, I don't particularly like schtick...which is what guys like Dan Patrick, Eddie Whatshisface, Colin Cowherd, Mike & Mike, and Jim Rome do. It's all too much like a character they're playing, and there's simply nothing particularly real about them...there's too much that's just hitting people for reactions.

Boyle's certainly is a guy who's pretty open about his likes and dislikes. IIRC, he used to refuse to talk about racing, among other things. I'm sure that didn't go over too well with some.

I used to listen to that everyday on WNDE AM 1260 - I had a job where I could listen to the radio all the time and I listened everyday. Back then I generally liked his show, bu there were times when I wished he would "stick to sports" but I think my tastes have changed and really besides the NBA I'm not that into sports - at least not as much as I was in the early 90's. So I can appreciate Mark more now

I also like DD, And really I don't dislike Eddie and Bob - they do get some really really good national guests that no one else locally can get.

May problem with all the local radio sports talk shows has nothing to do with the hosts - IMO they are all OK, it is 90% of the callers.

vnzla81
06-16-2009, 07:59 PM
I used to listen to that everyday on WNDE AM 1260 - I had a job where I could listen to the radio all the time and I listened everyday. Back then I generally liked his show, bu there were times when I wished he would "stick to sports" but I think my tastes have changed and really besides the NBA I'm not that into sports - at least not as much as I was in the early 90's. So I can appreciate Mark more now

I also like DD, And really I don't dislike Eddie and Bob - they do get some really really good national guests that no one else locally can get.

May problem with all the local radio sports talk shows has nothing to do with the hosts - IMO they are all OK, it is 90% of the callers.

I used to listen to him also, but it gets old when he does not stick to sports, the same with DD, I also agree that Eddie and Bob get national guests that are important and they talk about Basketball, College, Baseball, Hockey and any other sport.

indygeezer
06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I dunno, I cut all of them some slack. Try talking to the same 30 callers day after day about the same freaking thing (perhaps worded differently) for more than a month and see how you feel. I'm thinking most of us would be sitting in a corner drooling into a tin can tied beneath our chins. I appreciated MBs show oh so much because I HATE auto racing and he wanted nothing to do with it on his program, IIRC.
I originally disliked MJV very much because he did try to duplicate Rome's schtick and failed miserably (Rome I do not like anyway so a cheap imitation....) I thought he had gotten better, has he regressed?
Sorry but I've quit listening to sports talk for the most part...perhaps I should go back to it and forget the political harangue I hear on NPR and the various others I listen to. Maybe my life would be happier then?????

Kaufman
06-16-2009, 11:05 PM
and I think mark also maybe liked Sinatra and possibly mel Torme and would play them as well... But again on the Sunday show which nobody seems to remember... We need to get mark to comment himself on this thread.

mboyle1313
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Kaufman,

I would be more than happy to comment, if only I knew what specifically you wanted me to comment about.

MJB

Bball
06-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Kaufman,

I would be more than happy to comment, if only I knew what specifically you wanted me to comment about.

MJB

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by Andy's post... :)

-Bball

Kaufman
06-17-2009, 05:27 AM
my questions, mark, come from a lack of memory of the early 1990s... When I was in my formative teen years:
You used to do a Sunday late Morning early afternoon show on Wnde... If memory serves correctly? Who did you do that show with? I also remember a female voice as well on occasion but I don't think it was kristi lee? Did you used to speak of, and even play some of the afore mentioned crooners?
Also didn't at some point I hear you say that you didn't enjoy doing sports talk radio? I'm not sure I would since there are sports I certainly couldn't hold a conversation on.

Big fan. Wish we had some great local voices like yours here in rhode island. Any plans this off season? No ventures into big sky country?

Kauf

mboyle1313
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Kaufman,

When our games were aired on WNDE back in the early 90's, I did a daily afternoon show, and we did feature Sinatra's music coming into and out of breaks. The Sunday show you refer to was something I did briefly, and I think Tim Bragg was on the program with me, though my memory on that is hazy and it might have been Bill Benner. The female voice belonged to Becky Wheat, who was the wife of the statio manager and an avid sports fan.

To clarify, I've never said that I didn't like doing sports talk radio, though I have expressed ambivalence towards doing a regular program. I don't have the interest or the inclination to follow sports as avidly as you need to in order to have the knowledge to pull that off.

And, yes, I will be heading to Montana for a week in early August. We've been doing that for the last several years, and it's something that I always look forward to.

Thanks,
MJB

Unclebuck
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM
MJB - the big question is when do you start at Starbucks

mboyle1313
06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Buck,

The Starbucks dream is on life support due to corporate policy on hours and temporary help. However, I am working on something else with a locally owned coffee house and hope to have something definite in the next day or so.

MJB

Unclebuck
06-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Buck,

The Starbucks dream is on life support due to corporate policy on hours and temporary help. However, I am working on something else with a locally owned coffee house and hope to have something definite in the next day or so.

MJB

That makes sense, you never seemed like a corporate guy anyway

RWB
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
For some reason everytime I think of Mark and Sinatra this always comes to mind.

Lt. Steven Hauk: Furthermore, you are to stick to playing normal modes of music, not weird stuff. Those who we'd find acceptable here would include Lawrence Welk, Jim Nabors, Mantovani...

Adrian Cronauer: ...Percy Faith...

Lt. Steven Hauk: Percy Faith... good!... Andy Williams, Perry Como, and certain ballads by Mr. Frank Sinatra.

Adrian Cronauer: Would Bob Dylan be outta line?

nerveghost
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm unfamiliar with Mark's coffee shop dream, but I assume it is that he would love to work behind the counter - if that is the case it would be an honor to be served a latte by Mr. Boyle.

BIG TIP if he says "Count it and put it on the line!" when he pours the espresso. ;)

indygeezer
06-17-2009, 10:59 PM
MJB

Speaking of Montana...the family is headed to the Vatican next week leaving me at home alone. Now I wish to attend the draft party on Thursday and must be back the following Tuesday.

QUESTION...does that leave me enough time to pack the dogs and drive out to Big Sky for some fly-fishing and site-seeing or should I leave that for another year? Even a little bit would be a big boon to my psyche.

NEVER been there always wanted to be.

Kaufman
06-18-2009, 12:26 AM
beautiful places in montana... Glacier national park IMO the crown jewel. Kalispell, butte, Helena, just all beautiful. Geez I highly recommend you stowaway on the next amtrak out west.

mboyle1313
06-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Indygeezer,

Reschedule. If you're determined to hit the draft party and be back by Tuesday, you won't get out there until Friday afternoon at the earliest (depending on your flight schedule), and then you'd have to turn right around and come back Monday morning.

Some time out there is certainly better than none, but that's too far to go for such a short stay, at least to my way of thinking.

MJB

Putnam
06-18-2009, 08:51 AM
.perhaps I should go back to it and forget the political harangue I hear on NPR and the various others I listen to. Maybe my life would be happier then?????

Bing!

http://a7.vox.com/6a00c2251e13128e1d00e398ac38ff0002-320pi

nerveghost
06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
off topic - my favorite movie trivia about Montana

In HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, Sam Neil tells Sean Connery "I would have liked to have seen Montana" right before he dies.

Years later, Sam Neil wakes up in Montana for JURASSIC PARK.

Then a few years later he is in Montana again looking for his wife in THE HORSE WHISPERER.

I don't know why I know these things.