PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Johnson's year in review

Unclebuck
07-06-2004, 12:29 PM
I hope the Pacers re-sign AJ. He is one of the better backup point guards in the whole NBA

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/johnson_page_0304.html

2003-04 in Review:

Anthony Johnson
Height: 6-3 Weight: 190 Age: 29 (10/2/74)

Regular Season: He played action in a total of 73 games, his most since playing 77 with the Kings as a rookie in 1997-98. ...His 1,598 minutes were also his most since his rookie season and marked the only other time he logged more than 1,000 minutes in a season. ... Posted 10+ points a total of 16 times, including 11 of his first 27 games. ... In a start at Denver, he scored a season-high 21 points, one point short of his NBA career-high. ... Averaging 7.9 ppg in his first 27 games he averaged 5.2 ppg the rest of the season. ... For the season, shot 41-122 3-pt FGS (.336) and his 41 3-pt FGM were one short of his career-high set in his rookie season with the Sacramento Kings. ... With 202 assists this season, had more than 100 for the first time since the 1998-99 season with Atlanta (107) ... Led the Pacers in assists eight times, including a season-high seven assists at Denver, 3/7 ...

In seven starts, averaged 3.1 apg ... As a starter, shot 20-42 FGS (.476), compared to 145-364 FGS (.398) off the bench. ... Had his best month of the season in December, averaging 8.2 ppg and 3.3 apg ... Missed six games due to an abdominal strain, including four in a row from 12/30 to 1/5 ... Missed three games due to coaching decisions, including two of the last four

Playoffs: With Jamaal Tinsley hobbling, played a major role in the conference finals, averaging 24.3 minutes, 4.5 points and 3.3 assists in six games. ... Had playoff career highs of 37 minutes and seven assists in Game 6 against Detroit, adding nine points ...

In the second round against Miami, scored nine points in Game 2 ... Tied playoff career-high with four rebounds in Game 6, matching his total of Game 4 of the first-round series against Boston ...

Averaged 5.8 points and 1.5 assists against the Celtics

Plus-Minus: Ranked 11th during the regular season at 0.0 per game ... During the playoffs, ranked eighth at +1.2 per game

Contract Status: Exercised his option to become an unrestricted free agent this summer

Analysis: Veteran played an important role all season long, providing steadying influence as the backup point guard. Enjoyed most productive season since his rookie year (1997-98) with Sacramento, when he averaged 7.5 points and 4.3 assists. Provided timely shooting and strong perimeter defense, not to mention a calming presence in the locker room.

Kegboy
07-06-2004, 12:34 PM
...not to mention a calming presence in the locker room.

Don't underestimate the importance of this, especially considering the addition of Marvin and possibly Jackson as well.
---
:duel:

Young
07-06-2004, 03:36 PM

Don't underestimate the importance of this, especially considering the addition of Marvin and possibly Jackson as well.
---

While it is important to have good citizens if we have to sign dudes to basicly babysit others I don't want others.

beast23
07-07-2004, 06:31 PM
It's very strange.

There was a large contingent of folks who were extremely critical of AJ this season. Especially those that were brave enough to compare him with Kenny.

I would have thought this thread would have gotten some action.

And just like earlier in the season, I totally agree with Buck regarding AJ. I sure hope the Pacers re-sign AJ. And yes... he is among the best backup guards in the league.

Brewer may be gone. A third PG won't be offered a guaranteed contract until training camp / preseason. But I think Wright will prove to have an edge over Brewer.

If AJ re-signs, I think the only thing that could alter a Tinsley-AJ-Wright lineup would be if the Pacers traded for a better starter.

TheSauceMaster
07-07-2004, 06:37 PM
While I will give credit too AJ for his performance in the Playoffs , I will not miss him if he doesn't resign , I got tired of watching games where he would come in and just murder the offensive flow of the Pacers , it was like someone sticking a ice pick in my eyes ever so slowly.

Hicks
07-07-2004, 07:21 PM
I was fed up with AJ, then he played decent in the ECF and took that away. So I'd be happy to have him back.

SoupIsGood
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
I really want to say something, but I have no opinion whatsoever about AJ. I can't think of a single thing to say

PacerMan
07-07-2004, 07:47 PM

---

Marvin Gaye?
He's dead. :o

PacerMan
07-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Didn't like him especially. Would be happy if he signed elsewhere.
Brewer can better his defense and match his distribution ineptitude. Can touch his jumper though. Need to replace that elsewhere.

Kegboy
07-07-2004, 09:20 PM

---

Marvin Gaye?
He's dead. :o

When we had our thread trying to come up with nicknames for our new rookie center, I said I was calling him "Marvin" from now on. That's all I have to say about that.
---
I like shooting guards that can shoot.

ChicagoJ
07-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Even if AJ's re-signed, I see Wright taking all his minutes anyway.

:shrug:

Unclebuck
07-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Even if AJ's re-signed, I see Wright taking all his minutes anyway.

:shrug:

You expect the very l;ast player choosen in this year's NBA draft to come in and take all of AJ's minutes.

I'll bet you anything you want that does not happen. Not even close

ChicagoJ
07-07-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm pretty high on Wright. I can't figure out why he fell that far... I think it was just that dreaded 'potential' word for all the youngsters and foreign players.

If you throw out the kids drafted for potential, Wright might have been a mid-to-late first-rounder.

But I'm not the betting type...

Young
07-07-2004, 11:52 PM
There is one conern I have about AJ, maybe its just me but would you guys wanna give your opinion?

My #1 and only concern with AJ is his abilty to step up, when Tinsley gets hurt, can he step up and play like a starter?

He never has a bad game, never has a good game. I like to call him Mr. Consistant because he is. He is good for 6 pts, 3 assts, 1 reb, and 1 steal per game. Takes care of the ball but he will never be a threat to light you up for more than 10 points.

I think he was great to have for this season because its been awhile since we had a good backup point guard, since we lost Kevin Ollie actually, and AJ did a nice job but I think we may be better off going after someone else.

I don't remember how he did play vs Detroit when Tinsley went down so I may be crazy? [Thats already proven, I guess.]

Hicks
07-07-2004, 11:56 PM
I thought he did sort of step up when Tinsley couldn't play vs Det in the ECF.

Before, AJ was embarrassed when he played them, in the ECF he upgraded to adequite.