PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Shawne Williams?

McKeyFan
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Just wondering.

idioteque
06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
He has a year left on his rookie deal and is currently on the bench for Dallas. He doesn't get much PT out there and his stats are dismal.

count55
06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
This is what we last heard:

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/mavs/2009/02/mavericks-whack-bucks-116-96.html

Williams taking leave: If you haven't noticed Shawne Williams on the Mavericks' bench lately, there's a reason.

He's not there.

Williams has been in Memphis for the last month or so, ostensibly to let a foot problem heal.

But owner Mark Cuban said Wednesday: "We're helping him work through some issues.''

According to the Mavericks' players' log, the 6-9 forward has not been with the team for "personal reasons" since Jan. 23.

It is believed the Mavericks have resigned themselves to playing the rest of the season without Williams, who played only 15 games before his departure. When he was acquired in a trade in October for Eddie Jones and two second-round draft picks, Williams brought with him substantial off-the-court troubles. At the time, coach Rick Carlisle said: "If any of that stuff ever came up again, his (butt) would be grass and me, Donnie (Nelson) and Mark would be the lawnmowers. It's got to be professional all the way.''

Nelson said that, for now, Williams and Gerald Green are in the same boat: "Our focus is 100 percent on the playoffs and the development of young players right now has to be secondary,'' he said.

The Mavericks are on the hook for Williams' salary next season, about $2.4 million.

This was posted on Feb 25.

Lance George
06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Talented kid who doesn't seem to have the maturity to make in the NBA. Those two second rounders and Jones' expiring contract may have been a steal for us.

Will Galen
06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
This is what we last heard:

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/mavs/2009/02/mavericks-whack-bucks-116-96.html

This was posted on Feb 25.

I checked some Dallas box scores after that date and he didn't play in any games. I think he is listening to the wrong people. He should just stay away from Memphis and find some new friends.

Of course the flip side of the coin is I read (on here I think) that some Memphis gangsters have their hooks into him and threatened him and his family. If true, what do you do in that case? Maybe that is what he is trying to work out.

naptownmenace
06-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I checked some Dallas box scores after that date and he didn't play in any games. I think he is listening to the wrong people. He should just stay away from Memphis and find some new friends.

Of course the flip side of the coin is I read (on here I think) that some Memphis gangsters have their hooks into him and threatened him and his family. If true, what do you do in that case? Maybe that is what he is trying to work out.

If that's true that is really sad and amazingly bizarre. However, with the money he's been making he should be able to hire protection and/or move his family out of town.

He has the talent to play in the NBA but with all the other off court baggage, we got one heck of a deal for him.

travmil
06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
He has the talent to play in the NBA but with all the other off court baggage, we got one heck of a deal for him.

I see what you mean here, but this is only true if you don't think we could have gotten something better when he was drafted. Rajon Rondo and Paul Millsap were both picked after Shawne, and we could use either one of those two right about now...

Dr. Awesome
06-12-2009, 02:14 PM

I'm going to disagree. Well, I don't know if disagree is the word, because I do believe we got a good deal for him, but I also think the Pacers front office ruined it by buying out Eddie Jones.

I think Eddie Jones was needed here. He would have brought a lot of veteran leadership, and more importantly would have been the best player in the NBA to mentor Brandon Rush. I see so much of Jones in Rush its ridiculous. I suppose Jones didn't want to stay or something, but I would have tried to work it out somehow, because he could have been very valuable to us.

I live in Charlotte and went to a lot of games, so I'm very familiar with what Eddie Jones was like during the prime of his career. I truly believe Brandon Rush can get to where Eddie Jones was, I'm not saying he will, but I think its very possible.

tadscout
06-12-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm going to disagree. Well, I don't know if disagree is the word, because I do believe we got a good deal for him, but I also think the Pacers front office ruined it by buying out Eddie Jones.

I think Eddie Jones was needed here. He would have brought a lot of veteran leadership, and more importantly would have been the best player in the NBA to mentor Brandon Rush. I see so much of Jones in Rush its ridiculous. I suppose Jones didn't want to stay or something, but I would have tried to work it out somehow, because he could have been very valuable to us.

I live in Charlotte and went to a lot of games, so I'm very familiar with what Eddie Jones was like during the prime of his career. I truly believe Brandon Rush can get to where Eddie Jones was, I'm not saying he will, but I think its very possible.

Umm it was reported that supposedly that Eddie didn't want to play here... thus we bought him out... before that they were going to bring him in and have him play...

Jonathan
06-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Shawne Williams = Dajuan Wagner

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 03:00 PM
He fell off the bus.

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Umm it was reported that supposedly that Eddie didn't want to play here... thus we bought him out... before that they were going to bring him in and have him play...

Eddie was going to get traded by Dallas last season. He told their front office if he was traded, he'd retire.

He stuck to his word, ironically it was after the season.

Eddie didn't really come out and say he didn't want to play here, at least to anyone inside or the media. He and his family were just complacent and he didn't want to move. So he retired.

Since86
06-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Wagner fell off the map because of medical reasonings, intestinal problems.

Shawne is just dumb.

Los Angeles
06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I've tried to find the thread from a few months ago where stories were shared about Shawne basically being shaken down for cash by old gang associates. It included stories about threats/violence against extended family members, etc.

Sounded really f-ed up to me.

Some posters said he needed to move, others said he needed to call the cops. I was one to say that this might be a lot more terrifying and complicated than we can imagine, and simply moving away or calling the police had it's own complications and dangers.

Peck
06-12-2009, 03:47 PM

How?

Dajuan Wagner had a bad colon and was out of the league most of his career due to actual health issues.

Shawne Williams has had some minor health issues however has never had a life or career threatening disease.

Wagner actually had a season where he somewhat showed some on the floor promise avg. almost 14ppg as a rookie.

Williams has never scored more than 7ppg.

count55
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
I've tried to find the thread from a few months ago where stories were shared about Shawne basically being shaken down for cash by old gang associates. It included stories about threats/violence against extended family members, etc.

Sounded really f-ed up to me.

Some posters said he needed to move, others said he needed to call the cops. I was one to say that this might be a lot more terrifying and complicated than we can imagine, and simply moving away or calling the police had it's own complications and dangers.

I think this is the one you were talking about:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=45069

Pacers
06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
The Pacers didn't buy Eddie out, the Mavs did with the money that was an additional part of the trade.

Jonathan
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Wagner fell off the map because of medical reasonings, intestinal problems.

Shawne is just dumb.

Dujuan had mafia or thugs looking to kill him at one point when he was from Cleveland. I believe it was due to a debt his father owed.

Trophy
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Did Eddie officially retire?

Jonathan
06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
How?

Dajuan Wagner had a bad colon and was out of the league most of his career due to actual health issues.

Shawne Williams has had some minor health issues however has never had a life or career threatening disease.

Wagner actually had a season where he somewhat showed some on the floor promise avg. almost 14ppg as a rookie.

Williams has never scored more than 7ppg.

Both have had mafia/thugs/croonies looking to hurt them and their associates at one point in their career.

Shade
06-12-2009, 04:26 PM
He fell off the bus.

And then got run over by it.

Multi-million dollar talent, :twocents: brain.

Trophy
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
He fell off the bus.

Because he was high.

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Did Eddie officially retire?

We bought him out, then he retired.

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
The Pacers didn't buy Eddie out, the Mavs did with the money that was an additional part of the trade.
Again, no. He was traded. We renegotiated his contract, then waived him. He is now retired. You really have a knack for arguing with me today...

ChicagoJ
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm amazed that some people are still buying into the idea that he even had NBA talent in the first place. All hype, no production. Wouldn't surprise me to find that the hype for him was being purchased by the low-life thugs trying to exploit whatever talent he had so that they could get a bigger payday with their extortion tactics.

Shade
06-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Because he was high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qD9uZ8kB8

Pacers
06-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Again, no. He was traded. We renegotiated his contract, then waived him. He is now retired. You really have a knack for arguing with me today...

WTF. Your one post in this topic said nothing about his contract being bought out. You're chaffing me, dude. Eddie was traded to Indiana with the money to buy out his contract.

BlueNGold
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm amazed that some people are still buying into the idea that he even had NBA talent in the first place. All hype, no production.

I tend to agree with this part. While Shawne is clearly gifted physically and has good instincts for the game, something is lacking. NBA talent is more than just a nice vertical or a nice jumpshot. The dude is no spring chicken anymore and has done nothing.

I think the problem resides between his ears. I'll never forget him missing his court date...which was only one of his miscues. I simply doubt someone with his lack of discipline and responsibility will amount to much in the NBA.

Now, if he were a spectacular talent out of the gate, it might be different. It takes hard work by players like Shawne to even make it IMO.

McKeyFan
06-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Did gangsters cause him to oversleep on his court date?

:whoknows:

Bball
06-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Did gangsters cause him to oversleep on his court date?

:whoknows:

It depends on what he was doing the night before... and for how long... and with whom...

-Bball

danman
06-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Off court issues aside, Shawne reminds me of Quentin Coryatt, the #2 overall pick the Colts took way back in the day.

Both had okay college careers, but their skills and physiques were off the hook. I mean, you could not look at Coryatt without thinking... Pro Bowler. No question. Same for Shawne... a strong 6'9" guy with speed, hops, and a wingspan to die for? Shawne has an absolute prototype body for today's NBA.

Diff is, Coryatt tried and proved he just wasn't a football player, while Shawne never really put it to the test. Hell, after his checkered rookie year, he showed up in Summer league out of shape.

Jonathan
06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Off court issues aside, Shawne reminds me of Quentin Coryatt, the #2 overall pick the Colts took way back in the day.

Both had okay college careers, but their skills and physiques were off the hook. I mean, you could not look at Coryatt without thinking... Pro Bowler. No question. Same for Shawne... a strong 6'9" guy with speed, hops, and a wingspan to die for? Shawne has an absolute prototype body for today's NBA.

Diff is, Coryatt tried and proved he just wasn't a football player, while Shawne never really put it to the test. Hell, after his checkered rookie year, he showed up in Summer league out of shape.

I remember last season our first preseason game the throwback night at the Fairgrounds. Shawne looked overweight and out of shape in fact I was calling for him to be cut @ that time. I thought Shawne was going to get an opportunity last season and he did not put in the work to deserve that opportunity. World Class talent lack of charcter & work ethic.

Trophy
06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qD9uZ8kB8

Thanks Shade. This really changed my day.

BlueNGold
06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Same for Shawne... a strong 6'9" guy with speed, hops, and a wingspan to die for? Shawne has an absolute prototype body for today's NBA.

Shawne has a great wingspan, but he never impressed me with his athleticism (i.e. hops and speed). His best bet in the NBA is at PF...but he would need to get a lot stronger. Actually, I was most impressed by his court awareness and ability to shoot the ball...and I thought he might become a good rebounder. I thought if things worked out, he would cause major matchup problems at PF by being able to defend anywhere on the floor and score at the other end.

Kegboy
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
What happened? Some idiot drafted him over a half dozen quality point guards, Kegboy screamed until he passed out, and it was all downhill from there.