PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien with Kravitz & Eddie on Thursday afternoon

Placebo
06-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Jim O'Brien talked with Kravitz & Eddie on Thursday afternoon and JOB talked about some draft related stuff. Here is the link:

http://media.1070thefan.com/podcasts/090611_obrien.MP3

He said they attended to the Minnesota group workout last week. (As part of the big 20 team workout held in Minnesota some of the participants were: Omri Casspi (was the best player), Eric Devendorf, DannY Green, Daniel Hackett, BJ Mullens, Luke Nevill, Austin Daye, Jeff Teague, Gani Lawal, Darren Collison, AJ Price, Dante Cunningham, Chinemelu Elonu)

He also said Larry and him are flying to New Jersey for another group workout. Here is the participant list for NJ workout:

Lester Hudson
Austin Daye
Omri Casspi
Darren Collison
Derrick Brown
Gani Lawal

Eric Maynor
Jimmy Baron
Chase Budinger
Joe Ingles
AJ Price
Paul Harris

Lee Cummard
DeJuan Summers
Damin James
Nick Calathes
Wes Matthews
Danny Green

Greivis Vasquez
Wayne Ellington
Taj Gibson
Patrick Beverly
Jermaine Taylor
Ahmed Nivins

Ryan Toolson
BJ Mullens
Luke Harangody
Jack McClinton
Josh Heytvelt
Luke Nevill

DeMarre Carroll
Josh Shipp
Jeremy Pargo
Taylor Griffin
Dionte Christmas
Paul Delaney

He also said he didn't have time to watch college basketball so it's a great opportunity to see the guys in competitive 1 on 1 and 3 on 3 action. He also said that the guy that they will pick @13 will be a guy he has seen off the court maybe 3,4 or 5 times or so... Here is a list of guys came to Indy for workouts:

BJ Mullens
James Johnson
Chase Budinger
Luke Zeller
Marcus Landry
KC Rivers
DeMarre Carroll
Taj Gibson
Ahmad Nivins
Brett Winkelman
Sam Young
Alfred Aboya
Jeff Adrien
Tyrell Biggs
Former Indiana University player Robert Vaden
Ohio State's B.J. Mullens
Utah's Luke Nevill
BYU's Lee Cummard
Tasheed Carr of St. Joseph's
Garret Siler of Augusta State

And these guys are coming soon to Indy:

Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
Jrue Holiday
DeJuan Blair

JOB said they have 6 guys identified that they would be happy with. And he also said 3 of them will probably be there @13. He said Larry will get somethings done if necessary and he said Larry has the final say about who the team will draft. Says Larry considers his style of play while picking players.

Ok, now let the trivia game start =D
Who might be the "6" guys that the coaching stuff identified?

I would say Chase Budinger is definitely one of them. Maybe BJ Mullens as well? (They saw him in Minny, Indy, Chicago and they will see him again in NJ this weekend.) Who else??? Holiday? Teague? Lawson?

edit: can't edit the title, sorry. It should be "JOB talked with Kravitz & Eddie on Thursday afternoon"

imawhat
06-12-2009, 02:43 AM
He said Larry will get somethings done if necessary and he said Larry has the final say about who the team will draft.

That's what I like to hear. I'd love to know the six players. I have a feeling that none of them are Terrence Williams :(.

Also, there's not much to read into, but both picks last year were brought in.

Speed
06-12-2009, 04:59 AM
Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
Jrue Holiday
DeJuan Blair
James Johnson
Chase Budinger

Holiday, Teague and Blair could be gone before 13. They are pretty sure Budinger, Lawson, and Johnson will be there. Blair and Johnson maybe flipped. I'm of course just guessing here.

Jonathan
06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Speed your six players are spot on. What do we make of JOB calling Omar Cassipi the best player? Is it a sign the organization may be looking to deal on draft day for a late first rounder or nothing at all.

Speed
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Speed your six players are spot on. What do we make of JOB calling Omar Cassipi the best player? Is it a sign the organization may be looking to deal on draft day for a late first rounder or nothing at all.

Thanks, I'd love for them to buy a late first rounder and get Sam Young unless he gets taken earlier. When I look at the roster, there are openings to get another player. I also think you can get a guy like Cassipi and take a chance on him for not that much cost. They are saying you can buy a late first rounder cheap right now, not sure if that's true, but Portland has no use to actually use their pick.

count55
06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
Jrue Holiday
DeJuan Blair
James Johnson
Chase Budinger

Holiday, Teague and Blair could be gone before 13. They are pretty sure Budinger, Lawson, and Johnson will be there. Blair and Johnson maybe flipped. I'm of course just guessing here.

I really don't think they'll be high on the small PG's (Lawson, Teague). I think they probably have Holliday, Evans, and possibly Jennings on a wish list, but those three should be gone by #13.

Blair and Johnson both make sense, and I'm can't quite place Budinger, but #13 feels high.

I would not be surprised to see one or both the L'ville guys on the list. There are things in both of them that both Bird and Obie would find attractive.

I don't know that you can take a lot from that, because I'd guess that Casspi was the most mature of the group.

If I were to infer anything from it, it would be that the guys at that workout aren't really considerations at #13, and that would include Mullens, Teague, and Daye.

Jonathan
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I do not think Jennings is on the wish list. He will need time to develop and the Pacers are in a win now mode. Evans makes sense but unless a team is willing to take TJ Ford our chances of moving up are very slim.

Keep in mind our organization had a veteran team when we drafted Bender and Harrington.

Speed
06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Budinger is an egnima to me. He seems to have the measureables and he can shoot, but he's not seen as going very high. I'm not saying he should go higher, it just seems like he meets the standards that teams look at, but he isn't getting love. Is he horrible defensively, lazy, slow, what am I missing?

Placebo
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Here is my guess:

Either out of reach or unwanted players:
Griffin, Rubio, Harden, Thabeet, Curry, Evans, Hill, DeRozan, Jennings, Henderson.

Higher 3:
Holiday, Clark (Nets @11?), Teague (Bucks @10?)

Lower 3:
Budinger, Mullens, Johnson

I am not too impressed by this list at all. I'd be happy with Budinger and maybe Holiday & Clark. JJ would be ok too I guess. It seems to me like they are taking a hard look at BJ Mullens. I think they are trying to evaluate his potential of being a defensive & offensive threat down low. I don't think we will pick him but still It's clear to me that they are very intrigued by his athleticism, size and potential.

Budinger fits the fill quite well actually. Athletic, has good size, can shoot the ball, high bball IQ, not a terrible ballhandler and a decent defender. @Speed I think Budinger gets too passive at times and he is not aggressive enough. I think it's just his personality, he is a role player. But the effort is there...

I don't buy the "Bird is enamored with Blair" thing so I don't think he is one of the guys. I wonder what they think about Daye though, I can see JOB interested in him.

CableKC
06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Okay....to all the TWill fans ( like myself ).....has JOB or Bird attended any workouts with TWill participating?

JB24
06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
If they were at the GS group workout, then they saw him.

count55
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Okay....to all the TWill fans ( like myself ).....has JOB or Bird attended any workouts with TWill participating?

They were at the combine in Chicago.

Naptown_Seth
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I really don't think they'll be high on the small PG's (Lawson, Teague). I think they probably have Holliday, Evans, and possibly Jennings on a wish list, but those three should be gone by #13.

Blair and Johnson both make sense, and I'm can't quite place Budinger, but #13 feels high.
Right off the bat I've felt like Blair and Budinger were targets that were reasonable at 13, so I put them on the 3 they might get. Johnson also makes tons of sense at least in terms of interest. I've not sold myself on him yet but if they got him in there and got some questions answered then it fits (as a guy they saw a lot).

Wish list available - Budinger, Mullens, Lawson probably, could be Teague I guess

Wish list maybe gone - Blair, Holliday, Johnson

Dark horse that looks solid but I'm not sure if they noticed or not - Sam Young.

Guess I don't get my TWill. :censored:

Surprised they haven't looked more at Clark.

I'm not saying he should go higher, it just seems like he meets the standards that teams look at, but he isn't getting love. Is he horrible defensively, lazy, slow, what am I missing?
I think some teams are slow playing him, I think some are scared by his dud season last year, and some are scared by the Croshere/Dun stigma.

However if you actually saw him this year you know he's dramatically more athletic than either of them and was pretty intimidating as a defender. He's on par with Granger for shot blocking right now, he's got the hops, quicks, will and smarts for it. Strong jump shot. Good hustle player.

Frankly other than Griffin and a few of the other really elite picks, Chase is my 2nd fav only to TWill at this point. I kinda like him more than Harden even. He's a smarter, more aggressive Earl Clark.

Also you have Teague going high but I don't see any indication of that. Frankly I think he's taking a huge gamble coming out this year rather than staying in college for one more season to get things right and boost his stock....just like Budinger did.

Placebo
06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
But there was no competitive action at the combine. I don't think they are very high on Twill at this point. Can't think of any reason but there must be one for sure.

ESutt7
06-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I would think they're interested in the guys they're bringing in next week at 13 (Lawson, Holiday, Teague, Blair) plus some guys that are going later in the draft like Budinger, Johnson, Mullens that they could trade back to get.

Holiday and Blair are generally projected to go higher than 13, Teague and Lawson would be there. Remember, we were rumored to be very interested in him last year and he had a very good workout for us. The interview is still on YouTube. Then if they could buy a later pick to get a solid back up 2/3 like Budinger or a project big like Mullens (if they think he has the potential) then they would. If not maybe they draft one of the other random guys as their 2nd round pick. Guys like Suton, etc. I'm sure they'd love to get a draft where they picked up an extra 1st and were able to grab 3 needs (say... Lawson at 13, Budinger in the 20s, and Suton or some other big with real size in the 2nd rd as a back up role player.)

I didn't really think we would be seriously interested in Lawson because of his size, but I'm beginning to reconsider. We were interested last year, he proved to be THE leader of a very talented group and was the major reason they won a title. If they think he can play in the 1/2 ct., which he very well could but UNC just doesn't play that way, then I could see the team taking him. Another A+ program, experienced, proven, tough player with a strong work ethic. I think this would lead to a trade of Ford though, as they would be redundant. Or maybe Ford could mentor him for a bit. At least Lawson has better strength than TJ, and is a more aggressive defender.

It will be interesting to see what happens after that major workout next week. We may get a lot of answers then.

Since86
06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I think some teams are slow playing him, I think some are scared by his dud season last year, and some are scared by the Croshere/Dun stigma.

However if you actually saw him this year you know he's dramatically more athletic than either of them and was pretty intimidating as a defender. He's on par with Granger for shot blocking right now, he's got the hops, quicks, will and smarts for it. Strong jump shot. Good hustle player.

Frankly other than Griffin and a few of the other really elite picks, Chase is my 2nd fav only to TWill at this point. I kinda like him more than Harden even. He's a smarter, more aggressive Earl Clark.

Also you have Teague going high but I don't see any indication of that. Frankly I think he's taking a huge gamble coming out this year rather than staying in college for one more season to get things right and boost his stock....just like Budinger did.

Other than the man love going on as your 2nd favorite, I will cosign it.

I kind of cringe on the more aggressive part over Clark too. Offensively Clark is an absolute chucker. He's not aggressive in attacking the rim too much, but the kid gets a shot off. It's not always a good one, but he's aggressive when it comes to shooting.

Chase is just laid back. He's a SoCal boy that just doesn't play with a lot of emotion, or sense of passion to me. (Not saying anything is wrong with it.) It's been probably 4 yrs, so I might be mistaken, but I'm also sure he's made the comments about his love being volleyball. He was the #1 volleyball recruit in the nation, he was the star on the junior nationals team. I bet that kind of has teams a little weary on his heart for basketball. You can't make the same living playing vball, so you could look at him playing as a financial move as opposed to a love for the game.

He has all the phsyical tools, he's smart, but there's just something missing. I don't know if playing at UA just sucked everything out of him because of all the offcourt drama, and bad coaching, or if he's not came out of his shell. I think if he played with more intensity, he would sitting a lot higher on people's boards.

owl
06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Right now I am hoping for two players in the first. Either Blair or Hansbrough
and either Budinger or Young.

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Kravitz really had me wondering where he gets his opinions, I mean "information" from.

Yesterday after O'Brien left, he was stating how poor we have been in the International player market. That I don't want to touch on, but he said that our two players overseas were not making any splashes in the European leagues.

He didn't even know who they were!

How does Michael Grady put up with these fools!? He does a lot of inside stuff for PS&E, including PA for the Fever. Why doesn't he just back Kravitz off the NBA and Pacers talk?

CableKC
06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Right off the bat I've felt like Blair and Budinger were targets that were reasonable at 13, so I put them on the 3 they might get. Johnson also makes tons of sense at least in terms of interest. I've not sold myself on him yet but if they got him in there and got some questions answered then it fits (as a guy they saw a lot).

Wish list available - Budinger, Mullens, Lawson probably, could be Teague I guess

Wish list maybe gone - Blair, Holliday, Johnson

Dark horse that looks solid but I'm not sure if they noticed or not - Sam Young.

Guess I don't get my TWill. :censored:

Surprised they haven't looked more at Clark.

As with anyone else that is being discussed....I'll ask the same questions. How is Chase's quickness, speed and defense compared to other prospects?

If we were to draft a SG/SF, I'd prefer that they are quick enough, have the athleticsm and enough defensive skills to provide some solid defense along the perimeter. If we go with a SG/SF, that's why I'm drawn to players like TWill and Henderson.....they have the tools/skills to do this.

To draw a comparison ( in terms of defensive skils ), when it comes to Chase....are we talking about a player like BRush, Marquis or Dunleavy?

For me, having some solid defensive skills and quickness/speed/athleticsm is nearly as important to me as getting the BPA.

Trophy
06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
How does Michael Grady put up with these fools!? He does a lot of inside stuff for PS&E, including PA for the Fever. Why doesn't he just back Kravitz off the NBA and Pacers talk?

Was he the Pacers PA announcer one night 2 seasons ago (07-08)? I remember it didn't sound like Reb Porter because he didn't say "HOMERUN!" at all.

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Was he the Pacers PA announcer one night 2 seasons ago (07-08)? I remember it didn't sound like Reb Porter because he didn't say "HOMERUN!" at all.

That was Jerry Baker.

Trophy
06-12-2009, 04:45 PM
That was Jerry Baker.

Yeah I knew it wasn't Reb that night.

I always wanted to see a picture of Reb.

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah I knew it wasn't Reb that night.

I always wanted to see a picture of Reb.

Best I have at the moment...I have a better one at home in my library.

Right in the middle of the scorers table (over the W in Tom Wood), white hair and headset.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/PacersFeb1709/IMG_0793.jpg"

Trophy
06-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Best I have at the moment...I have a better one at home in my library.

Right in the middle of the scorers table (over the W in Tom Wood), white hair and headset.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/tlaurenzana/PacersFeb1709/IMG_0793.jpg"

Thanks.

duke dynamite
06-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks.
If someone could be kindly enough to beat me to it...if not I'll dig for another one.

Placebo
06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I've heard that BJ Mullens has a top 16 promise and he has shutdown workouts. :-o I don't have a link right now but I'll give you guys as soon as I have it. Man, is it Pacers? :eek: I think it could be either us, Pistons or Bulls.

count55
06-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I seriously doubt we're giving anybody any promises.

Ramitt
06-12-2009, 10:54 PM
If someone could be kindly enough to beat me to it...if not I'll dig for another one.
http://indy.wibc.com/wp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/tn_bake.JPG

Seated, making notes, is Indiana Hall of Fame broadcaster Jerry Baker. He does the PA announcing in the media center only. Bake is seen here signing an autograph for Tom Akins, Tom is making sure Jerry remembers how to spell “Baker”. http://emmis.webconnectivityllc.com/wibc/wp/index.php?hostdomain=wibc.com&hostfile=/blog/dave.aspx&author_name=dave&paged=2

Him?

duke dynamite
06-13-2009, 12:34 AM
http://indy.wibc.com/wp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/tn_bake.JPG
http://emmis.webconnectivityllc.com/wibc/wp/index.php?hostdomain=wibc.com&hostfile=/blog/dave.aspx&author_name=dave&paged=2

Him?
He wanted a photo of Reb Porter. Thanks for this, though.

Placebo
06-13-2009, 03:06 AM
I've heard that BJ Mullens has a top 16 promise and he has shutdown workouts. :-o I don't have a link right now but I'll give you guys as soon as I have it. Man, is it Pacers? :eek: I think it could be either us, Pistons or Bulls.

Apparently it was Chicago. He says they gave him a guarantee via Twitter.

mullens32: Tabby, I got a ger-ron-tee in MJ town, look out, 1 to 32 for the slam!

mullens32: Waiting for my name to get called.

Placebo
06-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Some New Jersey Nets group workout notes...
(Bird and JOB is in attendance.)

Chad Ford: Ohio State center B.J. Mullens was slated to appear but pulled out of the workout on Friday. His agent gave word to the Nets that he had a promise in the Top 16 and was shutting down workouts. We'll see if the agent is telling the truth on draft night.

Chad Ford: Derrick Brown and Casspi looked good in the 1st session, and in the 2nd session, Maynor was "fantastic" and Budinger "shot the lights out".

Sam Young was originally scheduled but he wasn't there. Nick Calathes and DeMarre Carroll are added to the workout roster. Today’s big names include guards Jeff Teague of Wake Forest, Wayne Ellington of UNC and Nick Calathes of Florida. No one’s saying much other than players worked out hard.

I think Derrick Brown is a very intriguing prospect. Here is a comment about Brown that I found in my draft folder.

Anonymous scout: "I really like him. He has refined moves, and he's a pure three. He's going to be able to guard twos, threes and fours. He's really a very good defensive player. I think he could be late lottery."

He also measured extremely well, I think he is a first rounder for sure.

DrFife
06-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I think Derrick Brown is a very intriguing prospect ... He also measured extremely well, I think he is a first rounder for sure.

Drat! Brown has been my "secret" desirable for a additional (late) first-round pick. Late lottery?? No way. But Brown would really help our D, IMO.

Hicks
06-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Apparently it was Chicago. He says they gave him a guarantee via Twitter.

mullens32: Tabby, I got a ger-ron-tee in MJ town, look out, 1 to 32 for the slam!

mullens32: Waiting for my name to get called.

If you were Chicago, would this make you upset?

tadscout
06-13-2009, 06:02 PM
If you were Chicago, would this make you upset?

Very... Just Shows how immature/clueless the kid is...

pacergod2
06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Absolutely it would upset me. It would make a team selecting between 10 and 15 take him to hold him hostage against the Bulls. I wouldn't be very happy but thats what you do when you make "guarantees".

I think, assuming we don't make any moves and stay at 13, we will truly be looking at Evans, Holiday, Blair, Johnson, Hill, and an unknown sixth. These players fit their PG/PF need. Holiday, Evans and Hill are the ones that will probably be gone. Johnson and Blair plus a sixth player will be the ones that are possibly still around. I believe that third available player is a PG and not necessarily Lawson. I would prefer Maynor, but that is me.

There are several guys I really think will translate well to the NBA that are in the late first round this year. As many have said, but I will reiterate because its my opinion of these players, that Sam Young, Derick Brown, Terrence Williams, Eric Maynor, Jeff Pendergraph, DeMarre Carroll, and Patrick Beverly. I think guys like Tyler Hansborough and Chase Buddinger have all the tools to be great contributors to very good teams, but they need to go to teams that have mature veterans to show them how to be great professionals. I think they will get lost on bad teams that have a lot of talented youth but no purpose. They would be great on most of the playoff teams.

ESutt7
06-14-2009, 01:00 AM
I believe by the time we bring in Jeff Teague on Monday that will have been the 4th time we've seen him. He was in the June 1, 3, and 12 group workouts. I think we attended at least 2, and possibly all 3 of those. James Johnson also said that the Pacers scouts attended a lot of WF games...not sure if he meant scouts in general or Pacers scouts...

Lawson was in the June 3rd workout, but also came in last year, which means they've seen him twice this year as well as interviewed him last year.

Budinger was in the 1, 3, 12 workouts as well, so we would have seen him 4 times.

Blair was in the workout on the 3rd, so that'd be 2 for him counting his visit Monday.

Holiday and Johnson I couldn't find their workout dates. I don't think we'd take Budinger that high, and Blair could be gone by then. The interest in Lawson last season could mean we like him again, or if we really did go to a lot of WF games perhaps we like Teague or JJ at 13. I'd be interested to see how many times we've seen JJ.

JJ and Lawson seem like more immediate impact guys, and Teague seems like he has a lot of potential, but a lot to learn as well. I hope some good info comes out of our workouts Monday.