PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Larry

pacergod2
06-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I didn't see this anywhere yet. I just received it in my email and thought there was some particularly strong language that was hinting at moves.

"Last year, the Indiana Pacers brought back the Draft Party for fans. It was a big success and everyone left feeling good about what we accomplished on draft night, which brought seven new faces to the team, including promising draft picks Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert.

This year, we will once again host the Pacers Draft Party driven by Kia Motors at Conseco Fieldhouse on June 25, at 6:00 p.m. I hope you can take the time to join us for some or all of the evening as we hopefully take another positive step in returning this franchise to the level I expect and our fans expect.

Right now, we have the 13th pick in the first round of the draft, which I'm confident will be a player who can help our team. We also have the 52nd pick of the draft in the second round. But, if you were with us last year, you never know what will happen. It's an exciting night for everyone involved and I hope you can be part of it.

Sincerely,

Larry Bird"

I think my favorite part of this is:

"Right now:-o, we have the 13th pick" and "But, if you were with us last year, you never know what will happen.:-o"

Discuss.

duke dynamite
06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't consider those "strong" words. I'm sure every GM is saying that right now with their pick. OTOH, Larry did show some swagger with those deals last summer. I wouldn't be too confident that we pull anything off draft night, but as he said, anything could happen.

Anthem
06-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Larry said more than that the previous two years, and nothing happened.

Remember "best shooter in the league"?

pacergod2
06-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Yes I do. Very good point. I just thought it was interesting language for him to use with the players we have returning. A trade would just make so much sense.

And anything remotely promising of a Tinsley trade will get me excited. I will be hasty to jump to conclusions on that front.

Trader Joe
06-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't put much stock in words, but I do in actions, and last year Larry was active.

Will Galen
06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I think my favorite part of this is:

"Right now:-o, we have the 13th pick" and "But, if you were with us last year, you never know what will happen.:-o"

I'm hoping for a draft like last year but don't see it happening. One, right now we don't have many players to trade.

Basically we can't trade Daniels, Jack, McRoberts, Graham, Baston, and Nestorovic, because they are free agents of some type. Diener would have to accept his option for us to trade him before the draft.

Of course any of the remaining players could be traded for the right deal, but who expects Granger, Hibbert, or Rush, to get dealt?

That leaves 5 players we can trade? Tinsley of course, but I'll be very surprised if we can deal him and get something useful. Dunleavy is injured so he wouldn't bring much.

That leaves us three players, Murphy, Ford, and Foster with some value in a trade.

I think we would only trade Murphy for a post player. Foster could be dealt but he seems to be one of Larry's favorite's, and again we would need a frontcourt player in return. That leaves Ford, and if we trade him it's because we are drafting a point.

Anything is possible, but I'll be shocked if we do anything other than make our own picks come draft night.

We just haven't got the right pieces, or the small contracts to make a trade work, at least on draft night.

Larry will try on draft night, but it takes two to make a deal. I think any trades we make will be later in the summer. I'm expecting Tinsley off the books one way or another. Plus we will have some holes we will have to fill.

Sollozzo
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Donnie Walsh was still here the 2 years before last. IMO, they are irrelevant to compare with because we don't know 100% who was calling the shots.

All I know is, Larry Bird without Walsh last year aced the week of the draft with flying colors. Not only will Rush be a better player than Playless, but we also got 2 decent pg's, the starting center of the future, and an expiring contract.

Granted, he doesn't have as many assets at his disposal as he had last year. There is no JO (who was still viewed as a very good player) with a max deal that can give you a couple of players and a pick. And the draft isn't as deep meaning that it will be more difficult to pick someone as talented as Bayless at 13 and leverage him for more things that we need.

I have renewed faith in Larry Bird after last summer. Since Walsh has been gone, he has made good moves for the team.

plutarch
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
the only reason he used the strong language to mean he will trade is because he wants you butt in a seat at the daft party, its advertisement

count55
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Does anybody think that Larry actually wrote this?

I'm guessing his involvement in the communication was, "Yeah, OK...Looks fine...Go away, now."

I doubt that there was a lot of subtext intended, at least on Larry's part.

Still, Will nailed it. I'm sure they are shopping pretty much everybody and everything, but it will take two to tango.

idioteque
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
The thing I like about TPTB- they acknowledge right now that things aren't good enough. There are plenty of perennially awful franchises that don't acknowledge how bad they are- which I think separates them from the Pacers and shows that we are a well run franchise committed to winning.

LG33
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM

I could never forget.

http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/uploadedImages/Indianapolis_Monthly/Home_Page_Content/Articles/February_2008/travis.jpg

Pacers
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Why can't we trade Daniels? He's a team option for next season, isn't he?

count55
06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Why can't we trade Daniels? He's a team option for next season, isn't he?

We can't trade Daniels without picking up his option. The $7.4 mm option is way overpriced for him, and since we'd have to take back comparable salary (the only way another team will take Daniels at $7.4mm is if they're sending back a longer, equally or more expensive contract), it would effectively either (a) put us over the luxury tax or (b) force us to give up any chance of re-signing Jack.

ChicagoJ
06-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Playless

:lol:

Jose Slaughter
06-11-2009, 04:23 PM
We could still deal the pick, move back a little, draft a player Bird wants maybe another 2nd rounder & get a dozen cookies too.

Bball
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Does anybody think that Larry actually wrote this?

I'm guessing his involvement in the communication was, "Yeah, OK...Looks fine...Go away, now."

I doubt that there was a lot of subtext intended, at least on Larry's part.

Still, Will nailed it. I'm sure they are shopping pretty much everybody and everything, but it will take two to tango.

I have a copy of the original draft:

"Back last year the Pacers had the Draft Party back for youuns. It was big fun and everyone left feeling high on the hog cause of what we's did on draft night. We got seven new guys on the team including super duper smart draft picks Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert.

This year, we're doin it again and it's on June 25, around 6:00 p.m. I hope yall come on down and set a spell with us. We're gonna get this team good for youuns.

We's got the 13th pick in the first round but you caint tell what happens with them picks. I'm sure we'll get us a player who can help us. We also got the 52nd pick but yall gotta sit a spell to hear that one. If yall were here last year you never know what'll happen with them players picks. It's like a barn dance for yall and I hope ya can be there to.

Your bud,

Larry Bird"

--------------
I did this with J in mind ;)
The implications herein do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author or Pacers Digest

SoupIsGood
06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
We also got the 52nd pick but yall gotta sit a spell to hear that one.

:lol: