PDA

View Full Version : Brown Could Be Out In Cleveland

MillerTime
06-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Some key members of Cleveland front office feel Mike Brown was badly out-coached by Stan Van Gundy, according to sources.

One source said Cavs management wasn't only disappointed in the losses, "but equally disappointed in the (two) wins" in a series that went six games.

It is believed that owner Dan Gilbert is among those who thinks the Cavs need an upgrade on the sidelines, while general manager Danny Ferry is standing strongly behind Brown.

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News filed a similar report and suggested a big name such as Pat Riley could be possible for the Cavaliers.

Basketball News.com
http://www.probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=554
By Sam Amico

After JOB's contract is done next season, I wouldnt mind replacing him with Brown. I do think that Indy could be a city where Brown can coach again considering that he was an assistant here under Carlisle

cinotimz
06-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Get him. Get him now. Be the benefactors of the pressure of the Lebron sweepstakes.

Im not for sure, but when is the last time Mike Brown missed the playoffs-as a head coach or assistant? I think he left prior to our starting our streak, though Im not positive.

grace
06-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Just who does Cleveland think they can get that would be better? Do they think JVG can out coach his brother? At least it would get him off the telecast.

Bball
06-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Just who does Cleveland think they can get that would be better? .

Are they interested in Jim OBrien?

Just thought I'd ask....

rexnom
06-11-2009, 05:15 AM
It's a vicious circle. You can't base your choice of coach based on whether he got outcoached in a series or not. Van Gundy outcoached Brown but got outcouched by Phil Jackson, badly, in the first few games of the finals.

I think the Cavs coaching staff is at as much fault as anyone but, you shouldn't base your coach on something like one series.

Just who does Cleveland think they can get that would be better? Do they think JVG can out coach his brother? At least it would get him off the telecast.
Wait, I don't get it. JvG is one of the best color guys on TV IMO. I love the three man weave he does with Mark Jackson and Mike Breen. I think Jackson's the weak link if anything.

Justin Tyme
06-11-2009, 06:03 AM

Just thought I'd ask....

Nay, why why would the Cavs want to trade down!?!?

BUT, I'd love to see Brown come here. I'd like him to show those that think this team is incapable of playing "D" that it truly can with a coach that does more than give lip service to plaing "D"!!

sweabs
06-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Wait, I don't get it. JvG is one of the best color guys on TV IMO. I love the three man weave he does with Mark Jackson and Mike Breen. I think Jackson's the weak link if anything.
Completely agree. I love listening to Jeff's commentary (and the subsequent self-depricating humour and wit that comes along with it).

MillerTime
06-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Just thought I'd ask....

They might make a move for Pat Riley

Major Cold
06-11-2009, 08:31 AM
:)Considering Lebron is the best player in the NBA, Phil Jackson might want to coach him.:cool:

Kegboy
06-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes, Brown was outcoached, but as Sports Guy pointed out, Ferry sure didn't do him any favors sitting on his hands at the trading deadline.

Unclebuck
06-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Here is Frank Isola's blog. I have usually found him to be very reliable - althoiugh it is in a blog - so a lot of speculation. Really this decision is Lebron's. if he wants brown to stay, he stays, if he wants him to go he goes. if he doesn't have a strong opinion either way - i think brown will stay

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/

Frank Isola
A Brown out in Cleveland could hurt Knicks
June 10, 2009
There are reports of infighting in the Cleveland Cavaliers organization in the wake of their disappointing loss to Orlando in the Eastern Conference. And the consensus around the league is that Mike Brown was badly out-coached by Stan Van Gundy in the series. It's a tough and unfair job; you are Coach of the Year after winning 66 regular season games. Plus you go 8-0 to start the playoffs and yet maybe you're not the right guy for the job.

How does Brown's job status impact the Knicks? If Cavs owner Dan Gilbert were to decide to make a big, bold coaching move, that would certainly enhance the club's chances of re-signing LeBron James.

And this is where things could get interesting. Gilbert's first call could be to Pat Riley, who knows a thing or two about coaching superstars and winning championships. He also won just 15 games in his final season with the Miami Heat.

Does Pat Riley really want to end his coaching career with a 15-win team? Yes, Riley is already a Hall of Fame coach, but guiding LeBron to his first title would cap off a brilliant career.

It would cost Gilbert a King's ransom to pry Riley away from South Beach but think about the money Gilbert would make the in the next five years. More importantly, it would ensure the club of re-signing LeBron. (We all know Riley isn't coming unless he is certain that LeBron is staying.). The same would be true if Phil Jackson or Duke' Mike Krzyzewski, who coached LeBron at the Olympics, joined the Cavs bench.

The Lakers went the celebrity coaching route in 2000 when they brought in Jackson to coach Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. That trio won three titles and now Jackson and Bryant are on the verge of winning their fourth together in Los Angeles.

Riley came within one basket of winning the Knicks a championship in 1994 and eventually got one for the Miami Heat in 2006, 10 seasons after the club hired him. It wouldn't take that much time in Cleveland because the Cavs already have LeBron. Riley had nothing in Miami and eventually turned it into a winner.

Does anyone doubt that he would do the same in Cleveland?

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/#ixzz0I81WHFFl&D

naptownmenace
06-11-2009, 10:01 AM
That blog came across as pure speculation to me. It seemed like he just pulled the Pat Riley name out of nowhere. There's no mention of a source close to the team or anything else to make me believe that Mike Brown is even in jeopardy.

I doubt they fire Mike Brown and if they do, Danny Ferry is a much worse GM than I thought.

duke dynamite
06-11-2009, 10:13 AM
If Brown were to be out of Cleveland in or around the near future, I'm sure we won't be there to take him up. JOB still has a contract, and I would think that TPTB would not waste the money on firing him to pay another coach at the same time. Albeit just for one season.

Now if the Cleveland LeBrons can't do it next season, we may see a leadership change in the Rock and Roll city.

Brad8888
06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
If I recall correctly, Mike Brown often defers on personnel and some game strategy decisions to Lebron. I believe I even remember hearing Brown do postgame interviews where he basically said that he feels like Lebron has such a high level basketball IQ that Brown feels like the best coaching move is to let Lebron run the game from out on the floor and to stay out of his way. If so, that may be their issue -- Lebron making too many decisions with no one on the bench willing to actually stand up to him and take a team leadership role. If true, I don't blame Brown for this, though. How else could Cleveland keep Lebron happy enough to stay there without much help on the floor and little hope of keeping him in the future otherwise?

Basketball Fan
06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
:)Considering he is the best player in the NBA, Phil Jackson might want to coach him.:cool:

I could've sworn Phil is still coaching the best player in the NBA right now..

Besides maybe when that best player gets older in a couple years he might defect to LeBron or not.

count55
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I could've sworn Phil is still coaching the best player in the NBA right now..

Besides maybe when that best player gets older in a couple years he might defect to LeBron or not.

Meh...I think LeBron's better than Odom.

Hicks
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
If/when Jim has to go, I'd certainly welcome Mike back.

PacersRule
06-11-2009, 10:58 AM
When the Cavs win, it's all Lebron James; when they lose, they blame it on Mike Brown, coach of the year, NBA best record, and 8-0 prior to ECF. But who cares, this just means that Brown might be available for the Pacers. Yeah, we should try to get him after JOB.

MillerTime
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Heres an update stating that the previous article is false:

According to multiple team sources that spoke with Brian Windhorst of the Beacon-Journal, reports that Mike Brown's job is in jeopardy are false.

The Cavs are indeed in a period of evaluation right now and are conducting meetings in which there is sometimes intense discussions. But Brown continues to have the backing of the organization's leaders and decision makers.

ProBasketballNews.com and the New York Daily News independently broke similar stories on Wednesday evening.
Beacon-Journal
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/06/reports_about_cleveland_cavs_h.html
by Brian Windhorst

duke dynamite
06-11-2009, 12:13 PM
If/when Jim has to go, I'd certainly welcome Mike back.

I'm with you on this.

Trophy
06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm with you on this.

ME THREE!

Trophy
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Some coach of the year huh?

Maybe he'll get us the best record in the east if he comes back if Jimmy's time is up with us.

wintermute
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
isn't the coach of the year award practically a curse? at least in recent times. rick carlisle was fired from the pistons pretty soon after winning his; and likewise avery johnson with the mavs and sam mitchell with the raptors.

jeffg-body
06-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Heck yeah we'd welcome Brown back. Why not say that Van Gundy did an excellent job of coaching in some situations and not put Brown under the bus?

Trophy
06-12-2009, 04:57 PM
isn't the coach of the year award practically a curse? at least in recent times. rick carlisle was fired from the pistons pretty soon after winning his; and likewise avery johnson with the mavs and sam mitchell with the raptors.

Yeah really.