PDA

View Full Version : Draftexpress Podcast: Blair falling to Pacers because of bad knees?

flox
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.sigdomain.com/draftexpress_18.mp3

Podcast with DraftExpress' writer who just came back from Treviso's Reebok Eurocamp. Apparently Blir has some knee issues, which may or may not be a good thing.

Blair segment starts around 7:30 mark. Pacers are apparently very interested in him and Bird loves him.

Coop
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I was hesitant even before I heard about this. There's no way I draft a 280lb power forward with knee issues.

Doddage
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Pacers are apparently very interested in him and Bird loves him.
Source?

Young
06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
If he has knee issues there is no doubt it's a bad thing.

Stay away from him early in the draft. There is a lot to love about Blair but I would be hesitant to draft him with bad knees. It's not like when the Pacers drafted Danny. Everyone knew Danny was a top talent and the Pacers had the 17th pick. I don't consider Blair a top talent in this draft and I don't know that he is worth the risk (with bad knees) at 13 even in this weak draft.

Tiny Archibald
06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I knew he had knee issues in his past. If they're is still a red flag,
then that's too bad. Ya gotta love the way the kid carries himself
and plays the game.

Hard to see how he won't have problems with a 6 months or so,
82 game, NBA season unless he can get down to 260 or so, play
there effectively and stay there.

Lance George
06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Jonathan Givony mentioned that both Granger and Brandon Roy had major knee injuries (multiple, in Roy's case) prior to the NBA and that, for the most part, they've been fine. He also mentioned that Bird had knee injuries throughout his career and that it's likely he'd be less scared off by Blair's knees.

Dr. Awesome
06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Pacers are apparently very interested in him and Bird loves him.

Where are you hearing this from?

Coop
06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Jonathan Givony mentioned that both Granger and Brandon Roy had major knee injuries (multiple, in Roy's case) prior to the NBA and that, for the most part, they've been fine. He also mentioned that Bird had knee injuries throughout his career and that it's likely he'd be less scared off by Blair's knees.

Normally, guys with past knee injuries don't concern me TOO much just because of how effective reconstructive surgeries are these days. Blair is sitting around 280lbs in a 6'6" frame though. That's a lot of weight to be carrying for +/- 100 games in a 6 month span. Roy and Granger may have had knee issues at one point, but they also don't have to carry all that weight every day.

Tom White
06-10-2009, 07:27 PM

I thought Blair's knee problems had to do with arthritus. Is that not the case?
If it is from an arthritic condition, that isn't going to heal like Granger's or Roy's injuries.

Skaut_Ech
06-10-2009, 07:29 PM
That's what I hate about pre-draft. Every issue is super-duper magnified. A lot of times disproportionately so.

There have been a lot of players who came into the league with weight issues, which they controlled through proper coaching and adhering to good NBA lifestyles. Personally, I think people are going overboard with this weight and knee stuff.

MillerTime
06-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Bird took the gamble with respect to Blair's knees. Bird took the gamble with Rush and Granger, and it has worked out (thus far).

Blair seems to be really undersized (6'7"). He plays a lot bigger than he actually is. From looking at him, it seems that he needs to get in shape. He definately would be a good pick at #13. This is exactly what happened to Granger; many teams passed up on him because of his knees and he fell into the hands of the Pacers

MyFavMartin
06-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Landry is another example of a guy that dropped due to knee issues.

vnzla81
06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Does anybody here remember Jonathan Bender? :confused: how about Jermaine O'neal? :hmm:, remember that Danny Granger missed some games because of a mest up knee? :(, The Pacers already have a player in rehab because of a knee problem(Dunleavy), not thanks I don't want an overweight player with mest up knees, pass, no way, let somebody else deal with him, we need players to play not players to sit for half of the season.

Hicks
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
It all depends on what the doctors say about it.

Naptown_Seth
06-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Teams have definitely past up guys with mest up knees. Those knees get strest a lot in an NBA season. But I think he bench prest a pretty good combine number and imprest the scouts with his strength.

CableKC
06-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I'd be okay with gambling on Blair with a 2nd 1st round pick ( if we somehow acquire one and he's available ), but I don't want to gamble with the 13th pick.

Pacers
06-11-2009, 01:07 AM
It would all depend on who is available at 13. Blair could be worth the risk if all the decent bigs are gone and there are just a handful of slightly above average points left.

docpaul
06-11-2009, 01:08 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if Bird took the gamble with respect to Blair's knees. Bird took the gamble with Rush and Granger, and it has worked out (thus far).

Blair seems to be really undersized (6'7"). He plays a lot bigger than he actually is. From looking at him, it seems that he needs to get in shape. He definately would be a good pick at #13. This is exactly what happened to Granger; many teams passed up on him because of his knees and he fell into the hands of the Pacers

Actually, the recent reports are that Blair has demonstrated a body metamorphosis, losing reportedly 40lbs and showing a lot of new lean muscle.

Blair is undersized height wise, but makes up with tremendous wingspan, which certainly offsets things.

In my opinion, a Milsap-type player is pretty much exactly what the team needs at this point. A banger to complement Hibbert. That's what Blair could be in the right system. My guess is that he'd start forcing the Pacers to consider more half court sets.

The team also needs some self esteem and further confidence, which I think Blair's personality lends itself well to.

I'd be excited if we landed him somehow. The order in which we draft him is probably less important than it might be in a typical year just due to the overall poor quality of options. He fills a very particular role and would be IMO, rather complementary to our current team composition.

PR07
06-11-2009, 01:38 AM
Bird likes tough guys. He questioned JO's toughness on multiple occasions through the press. Blair is a tough guy. That's why I don't find it hard to believe that Bird really likes Blair. This team really has no personality or toughness in the frontcourt. Is it worth drafting a guy purely based off of toughness at #13? No, but remember that Blair is only 20 years old, he's still going to get better and already has a nice inside game to work off of. I think some people forget that.

I think the knee issue is overblown. He never had an issue with it in college. If you nitpick over something so minute, you might end up passing on a Danny Granger.

rexnom
06-11-2009, 01:48 AM
I like him. And he seems like a decent fit for this team.

cinotimz
06-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Given the quality and depth of this draft, anybody at 13 is going to be a crapshoot at best. Maybe this is some of the teams drafting midround hoping to leverage Blair down. Most agree, talent wise, he would be gone before then. Scare some teams off and get him to fall to a position where you can draft him, when otherwise you wouldnt have been able.

That being said, I find it hard to believe we end up drafting a guy that Bird comes out and publicly declares he loves prior to the draft.

Thats assuming this statement of Bird loving him is actually factual and not message board rumor mongering.

PaceBalls
06-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Teams have definitely past up guys with mest up knees. Those knees get strest a lot in an NBA season. But I think he bench prest a pretty good combine number and imprest the scouts with his strength.

You're breaking my ballz with all these misspellt words man.

I hope to god we get Blair.. perfect f'n fit IMHO

Jonathan
06-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Blair has cut weight.

Blair is tough.

He Rebounds, He Hustles, He has Personality.

If James Johnson is gone. Blair does make sense.

Could this be a smoke screen to have another player fall to Us?

naptownmenace
06-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Jonathan Givony said in this interview that there's a lot of confusing info about his knees. Some are saying that he may need another surgery soon, one person said that his is the worse case of arthritis in a player under 30 that he's seen, and there are other team doctors that say these other teams are blowing this out of proportions.

He did say that the Pacers love him and think he is the exact type of player that they need.

Great interview overall. Good questions and even better answers from Givony.

Dr. Awesome
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Jonathan Givony said in this interview that there's a lot of confusing info about his knees. Some are saying that he may need another surgery soon, one person said that his is the worse case of arthritis in a player under 30 that he's seen, and there are other team doctors that say these other teams are blowing this out of proportions.

Great interview overall. Good questions and even better answers from Givony.

:cry:

Hopefully Bird is just throwing up a smokescreen, Blair is the one guy around our pick that I'd be really upset if we drafted. Give me Hansbrough over Blair.

Young
06-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Blair has cut weight.

Blair is tough.

I doubt it is a smokescreen. I think that gets overblown by some since Donnie has done it (way back when to get Chuck Person I believe).

On top of Blair's knees, actually a bigger issue than that, is he a good fit with Roy down low?

vnzla81
06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I doubt it is a smokescreen. I think that gets overblown by some since Donnie has done it (way back when to get Chuck Person I believe).

On top of Blair's knees, actually a bigger issue than that, is he a good fit with Roy down low?

I don't think he is a good fit because like somebody said before, Roy and Blair would have to use the same space and this would make it difficult to Roy, if Blair is far from the basket and Hibbert is double team Blair won't be able to hit the open shot(he is not that kind of player) Roy needs somebody that could play down low but also somebody who can hit that open shot when he gets double team.

Infinite MAN_force
06-11-2009, 08:15 PM
My gut predictions for the 09 Draft.

Anyone who takes Blair in the lottery is going to be very dissapointed because I just don't think he will ever be anything more than a situational bench player.

Teams in the top ten who pass on Jennings will end up regretting it.

Pacers pass on Jennings for Blair = My head explodes.

Slick Pinkham
06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Am I missing something if I call him Tractor Traylor part II?

tadscout
06-11-2009, 09:23 PM
DeJuan Blair- NBA Combine Media Availability Interviews
May 29, 2009

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BVmy1SYgEc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

I love his mindset and attitude....

I'd Be perfectly fine taking him at 13 (If our doctors think his knees are ok)... as long as no one that's suppose to be in the top 10 doesn't fall in our laps (like Holiday, Hill, etc...)

MillerTime
06-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Blair has cut weight.

Blair is tough.

I think hes trying to cut weight but has actually gained some weight.

You weighed in at 276?! How much weight did you lose?

This morning I saw that I said “Oh, man!” because I went to Phoenix and they weighed me and I was 289. That was three days ago. I don’t know what I did but it was cool
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/197604-qa-with-dejuan-blair-his-weight-dropping-and-stock-rising-to-lottery

Unless I am reading that wrong and he has actually lost 13 lbs in 3 days

Mourning
06-12-2009, 06:06 AM
I'd be okay with gambling on Blair with a 2nd 1st round pick ( if we somehow acquire one and he's available ), but I don't want to gamble with the 13th pick.

:amen:

MillerTime
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM

:amen:

Guys keep in mind that this year's draft is not that great or deep. Even if we take a "safe" pick at #13, hes probably not going to be that great in the NBA.

I see only the top 3 or 4 players in this draft being good. Possibly Griffin, Rubio, Evans and Curry...and maybe Harden

aceace
06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I watched Pitt play every chance I got. Blair was a man among boys. Best rebounder in the country and he absolutely schooled Thabeet who is at least 6-8 inches taller. If Blairs available at 13 and the doctor says his knees are fine. He would be the player to take and a steal.

Anthem
06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Am I missing something if I call him Tractor Traylor part II?
I think that's Sean May. Maybe Traylor part III?

eldubious
06-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I see a couple of mock drafts slotting Blair to the Pacers, that usually means there is some validity to it. I think Blair is the second best PF in the draft and he is worth taking a gamble on at 13th in a weak draft. But, I hear Hill is falling and that Hansbrough is saying he will go in the top ten. The Pacers will have an opportunity to get a good player if they do their homework. I think it will come down to Blair, Henderson, or Jennings.

CableKC
06-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Guys keep in mind that this year's draft is not that great or deep. Even if we take a "safe" pick at #13, hes probably not going to be that great in the NBA.

I see only the top 3 or 4 players in this draft being good. Possibly Griffin, Rubio, Evans and Curry...and maybe Harden
I agree....to a certain extent. Players with high basketball IQs, have good charecter, have a good work ethic, a touch of athleticsm, unselfishness and strong basketball fundamentals ( skills/traits that I think many Players in this draft possess ) tend to have long basketball careers.

I think that players that maybe available at the 13th spot....like Henderson, Lawson, Budinger, TWill and ( maybe even ) Hansborough....may have a solid career in the NBA as a rotational player for those very reasons. May not be guaranteed Starter material.....but given where we are drafting and our likely situation for the next 2 seasons....at the 13th pick, if we end up with a Player that I would consider a solid 6th/7th rotational Player...I'd be okay with that.

plutarch
06-12-2009, 11:52 PM
i watched the interviews with him and I have to say I am very impressed with him. I would very much like for us to draft him. brandon jennings is someone I would also think worth picking so for me its between those 2 guys as my favorites.

OakMoses
06-13-2009, 12:55 AM
For what it's worth, I remember watching an interview with Givony (the Draft Express Guy) on the NBATV draft preview show last year. He said that the Pacers loved Brandon Rush and were considering taking him at 11.

tadscout
06-13-2009, 01:23 AM
For what it's worth, I remember watching an interview with Givony (the Draft Express Guy) on the NBATV draft preview show last year. He said that the Pacers loved Brandon Rush and were considering taking him at 11.

So I'd like to point out that Rush's ACL injury in college didn't scare the Pacers away from drafting him...

So I doubt Blair's ACL injuries in High School (tore both) won't bother the Pacers either...

ESutt7
06-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Who does Ford have us taking in ESPN's updated mock draft?

tadscout
06-13-2009, 01:33 AM
Who does Ford have us taking in ESPN's updated mock draft?

In His 4.0 Mock... Austin Daye

ESutt7
06-13-2009, 01:39 AM
In His 4.0 Mock... Austin Daye

Ugh...why the hell would we take him? I'm sure he has us passing over a few much more sensible and better picks than Austin Daye. I wonder why he thinks we'd take a 6'10" stick that projects out to play the same position as our franchise guy. Dumb.