PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal excersies option

dal9
06-10-2009, 01:09 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/06/09/oneal.heat.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

Remember when there was debate on here about whether he would take the 21 M?

MillerTime
06-10-2009, 01:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/06/09/oneal.heat.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

Remember when there was debate on here about whether he would take the 21 M?

Its actually $23,016,000. Only a fool wouldnt exercise that option

Speed
06-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Donnie, Donnie, Donnie.... shaking my head.

All I'm saying is JO BETTER send Donnie Walsh a Christmas card every year.

Two things that will interest me in the next year is where will JO's expiring contract be traded, if at all. What will JO's next contract look like the following year. I swear it wouldn't shock me at all, if he just retired after next year.

idioteque
06-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Donnie, Donnie, Donnie.... shaking my head.

All I'm saying is JO BETTER send Donnie Walsh a Christmas card every year.

Two things that will interest me in the next year is where will JO's expiring contract be traded, if at all. What will JO's next contract look like the following year. I swear it wouldn't shock me at all, if he just retired after next year.

It wouldn't surprise me either, given he's done a good job with his finances. Anything he is going to command in the future will be minuscule compared to what he has made.

Haggard
06-10-2009, 08:38 PM
He would be stupid to to exercise it.

ReginaldWayne
06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
JO makes more in 1 day then have in my 5 years of work

aceace
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
JO makes more in 1 day then have in my 5 years of workI actually make about 1/1000 of what JO does but people tell me I'm overpaid too.

ABADays
06-11-2009, 07:50 AM
I haven't made as much as JO but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

MillerTime
06-11-2009, 08:22 AM
He would be stupid to to exercise it.

Why would he be stupid to exercise it? Theres no way hes making $23,016,000 in FA

NuffSaid
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I haven't made as much as JO but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
And I saved lots of money by switching my car insurance to Geico. :happydanc

CableKC
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM
What will JO's next contract look like the following year. I swear it wouldn't shock me at all, if he just retired after next year.
I'm thinking something "hovering around" the MLE....likely slightly more then the MLE....at some 2-3 year contract ( since some Team is going to overpay him in the 2010-2011 FA Sweepstakes ).

I'll guess that he'll look for a contract that can keep him playing as some "1st Big Man off the bench" at 20mpg.

I don't think that he'll voluntarily retire.....but my guess is that probably sometime into his 2nd year of his contract, he'll get some injury that will force him to retire.

rexnom
06-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Something is going to give during the next CBA negotiations. These players can't be getting paid these absurd amounts of money while owners bankrupt themselves or drive fans away by overcharging seats and food/drink at arenas.

clownskull
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Something is going to give during the next CBA negotiations. These players can't be getting paid these absurd amounts of money while owners bankrupt themselves or drive fans away by overcharging seats and food/drink at arenas.

yeh, i think you are right. contracts have gotten out of control and the cost of games is often too much for many.

CableKC
06-11-2009, 02:07 PM

yeh, i think you are right. contracts have gotten out of control and the cost of games is often too much for many.
I don't necessarily agree......this was true during 4-5 years ago when players like JONeal, Marbury and Marion were getting huge $15 to $20 mil a year contracts. Heck; the Warriors themselves made a players like MurphLeavy, Erick Dampier ( in a S&T to the Mavs ) and Adonal Foyle multi-millionaires by significantly overpaying them ( yes, I know....to a certain degree MurphLeavy are living up to their Contracts now ). But that's what their "Market value" DURING THAT TIME when Revenue was flowing into the NBA ( coupled with a strong economy ) and Teams were willing to ( but not forced to by the Players ) essentially overpay for talent.

What happened a year or two after Players like Foyle ( a Backup Center at best ) were paid some "$7 to $9 mil a year for 4 years" contract? Due to the slowing economy and the greater impact of the SalaryCap/Luxury Tax, only the Top Tier FAs were getting the really higher end offers....whereas anyone else came crashing down to earth at a more reasonable price for their services.

We only have to look as far as Granger himself....our Franchise Player....who got some 5 year deal at $10-13 mil per year. JONeal's contract earned him the same amount in 3.5 years. Over this last season, we saw comprable extensions made on 2nd Top Tier players like Josh Smith, Deng, Iggy, Biedrins and Monta.

Outside of the Warriors FO that still has a tendency to "jump the gun" and overpay their Players ( see SJax extension at a time when he didn't need one and overpaying Maggette ).....to me, the Market will dictate how much a FA will and should get.....which IMHO...it's good enough.

The only cavaet is that I think due to the Lebron/Bosh/Wade 2010 FA Sweepstakes that the Market will be skewed where there will be many 2nd/3rd Tier FAs that will be overpaid.

Trophy
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Time to retire JO. You're playing with knee pain and you're always injured.