PDA

View Full Version : Austin Croshere: Small Forward

Anthem
06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
One of the old worn-out arguments for why Zeke was a terrible coach** was that he refused to play Austin at his "natural" position of power forward. I've argued about a billion times that Austin still saw himself as a small forward in 2000, as did the Pacers organization. Links to old Indystar articles have disappeared, so I've been proof-less. But I just found this, which makes the point nicely:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018772/index.htm

Croshere is one of six free agents the Pacers will either re-sign or lose this summer—after replacing Bird, who's retiring after the playoffs. Wherever Croshere lands, Bird thinks his skills are best suited to small forward, based on games like Indiana's 111-102 win over the visiting Rockets last Friday.

I'm not really interested in fighting it out some more (it's a settled issue in my mind) but I thought I'd have the thread here to refer back to next time I needed it.

**For those unfamiliar with the debates of yore, I'm not arguing that Zeke was a good coach, but rather that Austin's troubles were his own fault, and not his coach's.

Slick Pinkham
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
My recollection was that he was given time at both spots for a couple of YEARS early on, but his defense of opposing small forwards caused grown men, many still present on this forum, to wince in pain, scream out loud, openly weep, hurl projectiles at the TV set, or a combination of all of the above (raises hand).

I think that even Zeke could see that. Well, at least I'd hope so.

ChicagoJ
06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I've always intrepreted quotes like that as evidence that Larry Bird didn't know what he was talking about (Austin had most of his NBA success playing power forward for Bird) instead of "Hey, wow, Austin has been out of position and needs to shift to SF!!"

:twocents:

Kegboy
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
That first year was so f'd up, with Austin at 3, Jalen at 1, and, IMHO, playing that new kid from Portland at 4 instead of 5. Little did I know that 5 years later I'd be at a forum party calling him a ****ing pussy for refusing to play C.

Anthem
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
that new kid from Portland at 4 instead of 5. Little did I know that 5 years later I'd be at a forum party calling him a ****ing pussy for refusing to play C.
If I remember correctly, Walsh said when we aquired him that he might spend some time at small forward.

Can anybody back me up on that one?