PDA

View Full Version : Pacers on list of teams that should be eliminated

Peter_sixtyftsixin
06-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Joe Weisenthal
The Business Insider
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-worst-sports-franchises-slideshow-2009-6

Interesting, thought I'd see what everyone else's reaction was.

Roaming Gnome
06-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Opinions are like a-holes.
Everybody has one!

BlueNGold
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Joe Weisenthal
The Business Insider
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-worst-sports-franchises-slideshow-2009-6

Interesting, thought I'd see what everyone else's reaction was.

Just amazed that the "writers" have jobs.

I happen to have fond memories of several of those teams. Sure, they are down right now...but only a sad punk is going to kick them while they're down.

The truth is, the Pacers are tied to Larry Legend and Indiana basketball. We also have one of the best venues in the NBA. Considering all of this and the fact the team is in full rebuild-mode and will probably make the playoffs within the next couple years, the piece is as close to complete garbage as I have seen in awhile.

d_c
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Keep in mind this article is looking at the financial side of things, although I'm not sure everyone (including this writer) has a true grasp of the financial wherewithal of every team and their ownership.

He's not judging on the court/field performance. If he was, the Warriors/Clippers (those owners make money) would be on the list and the Marlins would be off of it.

Trophy
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Wow. That's rediculous that we're on that list.

Too many people are over exaggerating about our financial troubles which we have but there are teams that are in more trouble.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

rexnom
06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Keep in mind this article is looking at the financial side of things, although I'm not sure everyone (including this writer) has a true grasp of the financial wherewithal of every team and their ownership.

He's not judging on the court/field performance. If he was, the Warriors/Clippers (those owners make money) would be on the list and the Marlins would be off of it.
But then why does he bring up Reggie Miller and the "glory days" of the 90s? A little inconsistent.

BlueNGold
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Here is where the "writers" are coming from: "Some are losing money. Some are in cities where the fans just don't care. Some perennially suck, draining talent from potentially competitive teams."

I think the fans will easily come around with a little winning, so it's not that. No, the Pacers do not perennially suck...so it must be that the Pacers lose money. Ok, maybe that's true but you could have written this stupid piece 15 or 20 years ago apparently since the Pacers have lost money for years.

What a joke....

Yes, attendance is down, but the truth is this whole debacle is because of the economy and drop in the value of investments/real estate. The public is ticked because they know the losses associated with the Pacers are tiny in comparison to the real problem...all while the Pacer losses get the headlines. This is more a PR problem than anything.

ABADays
06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I remember the word contraction was in vogue in baseball and we all see what happened there. The Minnesota Twins were amond those mentioned. A franchise that has been competitive while exercising fiscal responsibility. Baseball has a giant monster called chaos attributable to an absolute absence of leadership. Teams cannot afford to financially compete with the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. Those teams have larger LOCAL broadcasting money exceeding anything other teams could approach. So they don't worry about luxury taxes. Hell, they have players making as much money as entire payrolls of other teams. Aside from the drug issue, baseball finances have ruined "America's Pastime".

Having said that, a franchise will have to fold. None will ever be "cut". Nonetheless, I resent the fact the Pacers are on this list.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
06-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I remember the word contraction was in vogue in baseball and we all see what happened there. The Minnesota Twins were amond those mentioned. A franchise that has been competitive while exercising fiscal responsibility. Baseball has a giant monster called chaos attributable to an absolute absence of leadership. Teams cannot afford to financially compete with the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. Those teams have larger LOCAL broadcasting money exceeding anything other teams could approach. So they don't worry about luxury taxes. Hell, they have players making as much money as entire payrolls of other teams. Aside from the drug issue, baseball finances have ruined "America's Pastime".

Are you kidding me? Without this situation Moneyball and Sabrmetrics wouldn't have caught on in the same way. I love the fact there isn't a salary cap in baseball. Teams just have to find creative ways to be competitive.

Shade
06-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Opinions are like a-holes.
Everybody is one!

Fixed.

Shade
06-09-2009, 12:22 AM
This list reads an awful lot like a "what have you done for me lately?"

duke dynamite
06-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Eh, must be boring to be a business writer right now.

I saw something very, very similar to this on Yahoo! last week. Of course, the Pacers and Florida Marlins were not included on this list.

QuickRelease
06-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Shortsighted, uninspired, pointless; an astonishing display of knuckleheadedry :kravitz:

Unclebuck
06-09-2009, 08:11 AM
I didn't pay any attention to the non-NBA teams. But it seems like he just picked the three NBA teams with the worst attendance figures and said yeah - those three teams should be eliminated

rexnom
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I do want to say that I think that the NBA should contract to fewer teams - maybe 24 so there's less talent dilution. Are the Pacers one of those six teams? Maybe, maybe not. I'd say no because of the history of Indiana and basketball - it'd be weird not to have a pro team in Indy - but who knows?

Speed
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Everything in sports is cyclical, unless your Cleveland or the Cubs, I guess.

pacerDU
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
It's amazing isn't it, the ignorance of some people who have jobs in journalism. As others have mentioned, this piece was written based solely on very recent performance levels.

All teams go through a rebuilding phase and the Pacers just happen to be in that phase now, at the time this article was written.

For any NBA team to be on a list like that without the likes of the Clippers is total ignorance of the sport. If the writer knew anything about the NBA and it's history, teams like the Clippers, Hawks, Warriors, Nets, Bucks etc, would be on this list long before the Pacers. Cleveland would've probably been on this list a few years ago. Sacramento (which is on his list) historically sellout Arco. Of course a team with the worst record in the league will struggle for attendance. In any sport.

This article was written without much research or knowledge of the respective sports and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Dr. Goldfoot
06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
On the other hand, if a business hasn't turned a profit in nearly 20 years and the customers it hopes to serve largely despise the company.....

Sollozzo
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I could care less what some hack thinks, but it still pains me to know that we are brought up in conversations like this. There was a time we were one of the most respected franchises around.

That's what happens with total mismanagement.

ChicagoJ
06-09-2009, 02:45 PM
The Clippers make a lot of money. They aren't going anywhere.

duke dynamite
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
The Clippers make a lot of money. They aren't going anywhere.

I was telling Hicks and Gnome the other night, that their GM goes to bed every night telling himself that, "My team plays in the Staples Center."

ChicagoJ
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Pretty sure they made money in the LA Sports Arena, too.

The owner refuses to allow his GM to spend more than he brings in. That's all there is to it.

Trophy
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I was telling Hicks and Gnome the other night, that their GM goes to bed every night telling himself that, "My team plays in the Staples Center."

Maybe if they replaced the Clippers script at center court with the Lakers logo they'd win more at home next season.