PDA

View Full Version : teams possibly interested in current pacers

billbradley
06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
The next step for the Hawks might be even tougher
By Paul Newberry
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-05-12-1827680392_x.htm

The most pressing issue facing Atlanta is point guard. Bibby was the one who pushed the Hawks from potential to playoffs, but he's set to become an unrestricted free agent. The team must decide if it wants to dole out big money to its oldest starter (he turns 31 on Wednesday) and somewhat of a defensive liability, or try to lure in a younger player such as 25-year-old Jarrett Jack, a former Georgia Tech star who could wind up on the free agent market.

Looking back and ahead at the Cavaliers
By MIKE PERRY
http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/06/08/sports/mj1158913.txt

Here are a few players the Cavs could acquire:

Troy Murphy, Indiana Murphy has two years and $23 million remaining on his contract with the Pacers. He is above average defensively, is one of the top five rebounders in the league and can step out and hit the 3-pointer.

It would probably take quite a bit to pry Murphy away from the Pacers. Anderson Varejao on a sign-and-trade and Daniel Gibson, as well as either a draft pick or an expiring contract would probably get the job done.

Murphy averaged 14.3 points and 11.8 rebounds per game last season and became the first player in league history to finish in the top five in rebounding and 3-point percentage (45.0 percent). Murphy had 49 double-doubles.

A front line of Murphy at center and Jackson or J.J. Hickson at power forward would be worlds better than the Ilgauskas/Varejao combo that was totally abused in the Eastern Conference Finals.

i would like to keep troy and add an athletic big, but this proposal would be tempting. i remember members being quite smitten with varejao.

Unclebuck
06-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Wow, saying that Bibby is 'somewhat of a defensive liability" is an understatement and saying Murphy is an above average defensive player tell me we have much higher defensive expectations than people down in Atlanta

Speed
06-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I can't stand Bibby, to me, he may be the worst starting point guard, defensively, in the league.

Um ya, I'd take Varejao, Gibson, and a pick for Troy. I'd take Varejao for Murphy. He's exactly what the Pacers need, dude, has quick quick feet for a big man. I'd play him at Center and PF actually.

PacerDude
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
< Scanning for Tinsley's name ............... scanning ................. scanning .............. >

Damn. :(

pianoman
06-08-2009, 04:34 PM
That cleveland trade is actually really good. I really like gibson, he would replace Diener and become a fan fave, and varejao would be a perfect pf for us. We could only hope...

Trophy
06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Nah...

They have interest in Villanueva anyway and will probably sigh him.

Jeff Foster anyone?!

CableKC
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Mike Perry lost credibility when he writes that Murphy is above average defensively.....at best...Murphy is average given his lateral speed and lack of athleticsm....but "above average"....that's stretching it.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Mike Perry lost credibility when he writes that Murphy is above average defensively.....at best...Murphy is average given his lateral speed and lack of athleticsm....but "above average"....that's stretching it.

Let's just hope that he is a fortune teller and is looking into the future.

Trophy
06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Let's just hope that he is a fortune teller and is looking into the future.

In that case, I wouldn't be too worried about Troy's future here if he improved like that.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
In that case, I wouldn't be too worried about Troy's future here if he improved like that.

For your sake...lol:buddies:

Trophy
06-08-2009, 04:52 PM
For your sake...lol:buddies:

Hell yeah.

Seeing him on another team, wearing their uniform would really be depressing for me. :rolleyes:

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Hell yeah.

Seeing him on another team, wearing their uniform would really be depressing for me. :rolleyes:

Heh, You do realize he played for Golden State, right? How do you like THIS!?

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=85329

Trophy
06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Heh, You do realize he played for Golden State, right? How do you like THIS!?

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=85329

That's why after seeing that I look at this.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/WnKyOJ-5Paa/Indiana+Pacers+v+Golden+State+Warriors/CU79tjkNk3d/Troy+Murphy

Playing against his former team in Golden State.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/WnKyOJ-5Paa/Indiana+Pacers+v+Golden+State+Warriors/CU79tjkNk3d/Troy+Murphy (Picture not showing)

plutarch
06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
man i cant stand varejao but a good draft pick could make it a workable deal with the cavs.
i seriously doubt that the cavs would be interested in this deal.

MyFavMartin
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
The 30th pick isn't worth squat. And I'm not impressed by that trade offer. We'd be signing Andy to a long, over-priced salary and Gibson isn't a PG.

And starting Murph at Center? How would he look against Dwight Howard?

The guy needs to sober up before writing this kind of stuff.

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Troy Murphy, Indiana — Murphy has two years and $23 million remaining on his contract with the Pacers. He is above average defensively, is one of the top five rebounders in the league and can step out and hit the 3-pointer.

It would probably take quite a bit to pry Murphy away from the Pacers.
SELL FREAKING HIGH ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL

Sell like the Duke Brothers at the end of Trading Places. Sell like Kurt Russell in Used Cars. Sell like you've got AIG and GM stock and it's 2007.

Nice guy, let him keep blogging for Indy, let him come back and do color here when his career is done, heck even resign him later on for much cheaper if you want. But for now you gots ta sell.

d_c
06-08-2009, 06:03 PM

Sell like the Duke Brothers at the end of Trading Places. Sell like Kurt Russell in Used Cars. Sell like you've got AIG and GM stock and it's 2007.

Nice guy, let him keep blogging for Indy, let him come back and do color here when his career is done, heck even resign him later on for much cheaper if you want. But for now you gots ta sell.

LOL

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Wow, saying that Bibby is 'somewhat of a defensive liability" is an understatement and saying Murphy is an above average defensive player tell me we have much higher defensive expectations than people down in Atlanta
No, it says what a majority of outside opinions say about any player - people don't pay attention to other teams very closely. This is also why Pacers fans fall in love with players on other teams and then cool to them when they actually get here.

There are people who do follow other teams well, but just think about some of the local news commentary regarding options on other teams. Think about Kravitz suggesting who we should get from another team. When you know the truth you spot the ignorance.

Troy makes up for his dreadful one on one skills with some decent team defense, he covers space and rotates pretty well. But he's still not an intimidator on or off the ball at all. You don't play him to take care of business.

Plus as you know, I don't consider him a guy you put in to end a rebounding disadvantage. If a guy like Varejao or Perkins or Haslem or even Ty Thomas are giving you problems on the glass, Troy typicaly isn't going to stop that. I think Foster solves that issue much more in fact.

Again, the team's DEF rebounding didn't drop off the table when he went out of games. That's the issue, that's why I complain about the illusion of it. He's a GOOD rebounder, but he's not the great rebounder his stats indicate.

Frankly I consider him a much better 3pt threat than rebounder. As that gimmick big hitting 3s he can justify his playing time. Beat him at one end for a dunk and he comes back with a 3 and is now up 1 on you. That is a good quality.

But I still sell on it so you can adjust the roster both in structure and finance.

BTW, a blind girl just told me I was hotter than George Clooney and Brad Pitt, so I got that going for me, which is nice. I mean if a non-expert says it's so then it must be so, even if it defies the opinion of nearly everyone else more qualified to judge.

billbradley
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
The 30th pick isn't worth squat. And I'm not impressed by that trade offer. We'd be signing Andy to a long, over-priced salary and Gibson isn't a PG.

i think getting three players for troy addresses depth issues or we could package 3 picks for something. the 30th pick could net you a sf anywhere from chase budinger to danny green or rising pfs demarre carrol and jeff pendergraph (maybe exchange 30 for a high 2nd rounder and future 2nd).

gibson makes over 4 mill so to work varejao would get around 6.5 mill. i wouldn't mind 3 or 4 years at that rate. he averaged 7/9 with 1 block and 1 TO.tyson chandler averaged almost 12/12 his best season with 1 block and almost 2 TO in about 7 more minutes of play and more money.

i agree troy would not be the final answer for cleveland. i have however always thought he would be a good fit there. with celevland willing to spend more for smaller pieces (gortat?) i think this could make sense for both teams.

CableKC
06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Plus as you know, I don't consider him a guy you put in to end a rebounding disadvantage. If a guy like Varejao or Perkins or Haslem or even Ty Thomas are giving you problems on the glass, Troy typicaly isn't going to stop that. I think Foster solves that issue much more in fact.

Again, the team's DEF rebounding didn't drop off the table when he went out of games. That's the issue, that's why I complain about the illusion of it. He's a GOOD rebounder, but he's not the great rebounder his stats indicate.
Shhhhhh.........not everyone knows that......they just look at the stats and see that he's a double-double machine. :D

Hicks
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I like Troy and all, but man I hope there's a few GMs out there that think he's above average defensively and think it would take Varejao + pick + PG + expiring to lure him from us. Oh Lord do I hope there are.

Placebo
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
You guys are way overrating Varejao. He is an energy guy at best. Lebron makes everybody around him look much better than they actually are. And yes, 30th pick won't do it. Thanks but no thanks.

OakMoses
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I've been thinking that Troy would be a great fit for the Cavs since before the deadline. I was actually hoping they'd make a move for him then.

Varejao, however, might be too much to hope for. In many ways, he's the exact player that many of us have been wanting: a PF/C who can defend both Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis well (even though he can't shut either down).

Actually, if the Cavs were willing to take on Tinsley, they could probably offer us 1 year of Ben Wallace + #30 for Tins and Murphy and get a deal done.

YoSoyIndy
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM

I'd prefer the next 10-15 picks after the 30th over it.

rexnom
06-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I'll do any trade for Troy that results in shorter or smaller contracts. I don't even care about assets, Gibson, the pick and Varejao all are. What a fantastic trade.

Trophy
06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I think I stand alone as the only one that wants to keep Troy a Pacer.

WetBob
06-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I think I stand alone as the only one that wants to keep Troy a Pacer.

You stand alone as the only one who wants to keep Troy a Pacer regardless of what can be gotten in return.

Varejao/Gibson/and a pick for Troy? The only question is how long should Bird laugh at Ferry before saying yes and then laughing some more.

We can't get that kind of value for Murph.

Trophy
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
You stand alone as the only one who wants to keep Troy a Pacer regardless of what can be gotten in return.

Varejao/Gibson/and a pick for Troy? The only question is how long should Bird laugh at Ferry before saying yes and then laughing some more.

We can't get that kind of value for Murph.

It's a good deal don't get me wrong but I personally would be happier if he just finished out his contract and signed somewhere else.

If we got Gibson I wouldn't see much reason for keeping Travis either.

BRushWithDeath
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Not quite as long as he did when he was "offered" Linas Kleiza and a future 1st for Jeff Foster.

Trophy
06-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Not quite as long as he did when he was "offered" Linas Kleiza and a future 1st for Jeff Foster.

I'm definitly not counting on this move to be made if that one wasn't.

Haggard
06-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Not interested in Cleveland. Varejao is very weak, dirty and genrally a very bad player.
I am interested in trading Troy (sell high) but no, not this...

Trophy
06-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I'd rather get Sasha Pavlovic as a SF backup.

PacerDude
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Varejao will only go to another team with a long, expensive contract. Exactly what the Pacers are trying to rid themselves of. IF the S&T involved a highly skilled PF, expiring(s) or something of value, Bird would jump on it. Varejao just isn't going to bring the returns that his contract demands will be.

Tiny Archibald
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I must have missed the play or two in the CLE-ORL series where
Sideshow Bob defended either Howard or Lewis worth a damn.

Major Cold
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Foster is worth more to us than that. Kleiza would be done as a Pacer by now. And a 20+ draft pick is an uncertain asset, Foster is a proven commodity.

billbradley
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
and i think we wouldn't have that protected pick this season, so we would be fosterless with nothing in 2009 to show for it besides an expired contract

PR07
06-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I'd rather take Ben Wallace for a year, then get saddled with a big, long-term contract of Varejao. He's about to be severely overpaid. He's pretty much a dirtier, bigger version of Jeff Foster. Not what we need.

I'd ask Cleveland if JJ Hickson is available in a deal though. I'm not really sure what his value is, but he's their last year's first rounder, young, and apparently LeBron really likes his upside. Wallace+Hickson+#30 gets it done for me. :)

OakMoses
06-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I must have missed the play or two in the CLE-ORL series where
Sideshow Bob defended either Howard or Lewis worth a damn.

He was +21 for the series.

Taterhead
06-08-2009, 11:44 PM
I'd rather take Ben Wallace for a year, then get saddled with a big, long-term contract of Varejao. He's about to be severely overpaid. He's pretty much a dirtier, bigger version of Jeff Foster. Not what we need.

I'd ask Cleveland if JJ Hickson is available in a deal though. I'm not really sure what his value is, but he's their last year's first rounder, young, and apparently LeBron really likes his upside. Wallace+Hickson+#30 gets it done for me. :)

Not to mention Gibsons deal. It looks almost Tinsley esque. Through 2012 at about 20 million. No thanks. Varajeo ain't worth over paying either.

I don't even like Murphy, but if we can't do better than that there is no reason to deal him.

Anthem
06-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I'd be thrilled to move Murphy, but none of those guys excite me terribly.

If we could move him (or TJ) for a late lotto / early teens pick, I'd be all over it. Sideshow and the #30? Meh.

Shade
06-09-2009, 12:12 AM

I was going to say something, but this says it all. :D

Mourning
06-09-2009, 01:54 AM
and saying Murphy is an above average defensive player tell me we have much higher defensive expectations than people down in Atlanta

It tells me the writer has no IDEA what he's talking about. But, I would take that offer in a milisecond. The caprelief aswell as the flexibility that we would have (more assets, lower salaries) would be pretty big.

Just carving up Troy's salary up like that and getting a good defensive insideplayer, a nice young player AND a first round pick... wow... that would help a lot in filling out our roster without breaking the bank aswell. Remember we have several players who will have to be replaced this summer. This move would be huge for us and a gargantic blunder for the Cavs. And no I don't hate, but actually like Troy (but within reasonable limits ;) ).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Mourning
06-09-2009, 01:59 AM
I'll do any trade for Troy that results in shorter or smaller contracts. I don't even care about assets, Gibson, the pick and Varejao all are. What a fantastic trade.

LOL! :amen:

vnzla81
06-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I'll take Ben Wallace/ Pavlovic and send Murphy/Tinsley, this could give the pacers big cap space for 2010 and another underrated player(I think) in Sasha the Pacers get a good defender and a guy who can score of the bench they might get lucky and get a player that I really like in J.J Hickson.

Major Cold
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Ben Wallace? Do you people really want season ticket holders to renew? No way in Hades or Haven that we trade for Ben Wallace. Even if it gets rid of Tinsley.

owl
06-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Awesome. Made me laugh while yet being so true. I nominate this for post of the next year.

rexnom
06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Ben Wallace? Do you people really want season ticket holders to renew? No way in Hades or Haven that we trade for Ben Wallace. Even if it gets rid of Tinsley.
Um...he expires in 2010. Let's get Wallace and buy him out or keep him moving to another team that wants cap relief for some assets. Anything to get out of our cap destroying contracts (Troy, Tins, and even Dun).

We have to realize that the Pacers aren't contending until those guys are expiring or have expired (2011). Who cares if we don't get a talent return on these guys...trade, trade, trade.

owl
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Wallace and a draft pick for Troy?
Wallace and Hickson for Troy?

Anthem
06-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Wallace and a draft pick for Troy?
Wallace and Hickson for Troy?
Wallace / Sasha / Pick would work for me, if the pick was better than #30.

And I'd be fine with neither of those guys coming to camp.

OakMoses
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM

If the Pacers traded Murphy + Tinsley for Wallace, it would save us $4 million next season and $19 million in 2010.

naptownmenace
06-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Varejao will only go to another team with a long, expensive contract. Exactly what the Pacers are trying to rid themselves of. IF the S&T involved a highly skilled PF, expiring(s) or something of value, Bird would jump on it. Varejao just isn't going to bring the returns that his contract demands will be.

That's the thing that makes this a dead rumor to me.

Varejao will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1st and will be looking for a longterm deal of at least 5 years and for more than the mid-level contract he has now.

Do the Pacers want to commit a 5 year investment in a player that can't score with the ball in his hands? They already have a player like that in Jeff Foster. Granted I think Varejao is an upgrade over Foster - he's bigger and a better defender - but if they have to give him a 5-year deal, is he really worth that?

Also, who's to say that Varejao won't want to play for someone other than the Pacers? As an unrestricted FA he can go wherever he wants. Detroit might be a more attractive team for him.

Shade
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I was actually going to mention a couple of weeks ago that the Pacers may look at a S&T for Varejao. After all, they are looking for "a younger Jeff Foster," and nobody in the league currently fits that bill more than Sideshow Bob.

Major Cold
06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I just think the Pacers would pass on Ben Wallace. I don't care. But the city has been anti-pacers since the brawl. Do we need to remind the uptight about that?

OakMoses
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I just think the Pacers would pass on Ben Wallace. I don't care. But the city has been anti-pacers since the brawl. Do we need to remind the uptight about that?

You've got a point, I just think the financial implications of the deal would be too good to pass up. If we just wanted to get Murphy's contract off the books, we could trade for Big Z's expiring deal instead.

Slick Pinkham
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd rather keep Murphy unless we can get rid of Tinsley at the same time, which would be too much coin for anyone to stomach.

Bibby and Tinsley as a PG duo would be the worst defensive situation at PG in the history of our planet.

And to steal a line from "Airplane"... the guy who thinks Muph is an above average defender "picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue"

Jonathan
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
We have Murphy
49 double doubles last season
Contract expires in 2011

We get
Sideshow Bob- above average defender, good hustler, not much offense. How much and how long is his sign and trade?

Gibson- The dude is signed thru 2012-2013 season making around 4.5 VERY LONG CONTRACE

30th pick- No idea who is around 30. Do we draft Demerre Carroll or look for PG.

This is more of a mistake than the Croshere for Q6 deal.

Adding two roster spots at a high price. I would be happier with Mc Roberts and Graham for another season than Anderson Verajo and Daniel Gibson signed thru 2012-2013.

I am not against trading Troy but why settle for crumbs.

Speed
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I just think Sideshow Bob is the answer at the 4 spot defensively and he can play some 5. The guy seems to get the extra possessions with offensive rebounds in crunch time. I think you can get him for much much less than Tyson Chandler would cost.

I agree the length of contract is possible a problem, but not if you see him as your starting 4 for the next 5 years.

I think you have a gaping whole as Foster ages and starts to break down more often.

If you don't see Sideshow Bob starting next to Roy the next 5 years then I'd agree, this isn't a good trade.

Lastly, you SHOULD buy low and sell high and Troy Murphy just had the best year of his career and the probably the best year he'll ever have.

I like Troy, his numbers still shock me from last year, but if you are ever going to try to move him, it's right now.

Justin Tyme
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Actually, if the Cavs were willing to take on Tinsley, they could probably offer us 1 year of Ben Wallace + #30 for Tins and Murphy and get a deal done.

I'm on board!! Anything to get rid of Tinjury... even taking back Big Ben as much as I can't stand him.

Taterhead
06-09-2009, 01:03 PM
There is no way the Cavs take on Tins or Murphy. I think they want to save cap space in 2010 to go after Bosh to help convince Lebron to resign.

pacergod2
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
I think we absolutely should trade Murphy this summer. I was praying that we trade Dunleavy last summer. I like both of these guys but they are both severely overpaid. It is not about them or their game, its about their contracts. I would trade Murphy before it is too late, just like it is with Dun.

I would love to do a Wallace, West and Hickson for Murphy and Foster deal.

I know that goes against all that is holy, in trading for Wallace and getting rid of Foster, but between the financial flexibility it gives us and a solid young PF that would be part of our future core, you would seriously have to consider it. We would get a PF that is almost broken down, but would give us a solid body in our front court to replace Foster. And believe it or not, Wallace is not a locker room cancer. He has always been one of the most highly regarded players with his teammates, although most players on opposite teams (especially rivals) dislike. Plus, West is an excellent player, but he duplicates the things that Mo and Gibson do. I think that Murphy Foster, Verejao and Z would be a much better front court than Z, Wallace, a young Hickson, and Verejao.

I don't think that LBJ will necessarily will opt out of his contract after 09-10. I think he could wait another year, which might give the players union more leverage in players salaries if LBJ has yet to re-sign. I think if he gets his money the rest of the players will be forced into lower salary standards in the new CBA. LBJ is the ONLY player that could lead the collective players union to that degree. Stern would have to listen.

I would love a deal of that sort.

duke dynamite
06-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I think we absolutely should trade Murphy this summer. I was praying that we trade Dunleavy last summer. I like both of these guys but they are both severely overpaid. It is not about them or their game, its about their contracts. I would trade Murphy before it is too late, just like it is with Dun.

You are still stuck in 2006. Murph only has two more seasons under his contract. It doesn't look as bas as you make it out to be. Troy being in the $12 million range is just fine for what he brings. He plays and plays hard every game.

rexnom
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
You are still stuck in 2006. Murph only has two more seasons under his contract. It doesn't look as bas as you make it out to be. Troy being in the $12 million range is just fine for what he brings. He plays and plays hard every game.
Yeah, but the money we have committed to them is a ton for two guys that won't be in our future plans and it restricts us A LOT over the next two years.

pacergod2
06-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Fortunately, I am in 2009. I really like Troy Murphy as a person. I really like some of the things that Murphy brings to the court. But definitely not for the 11M this year and the 12M next.

Unfortunately, I agree with Naptown in that we need to sell high. One of the first rules in investing is "don't fall in love with a stock." Keep your emotions out of it, when looking at salary and true production. It is important to have high character guys on the team, but not at the expense of fiscal livelihood. I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if we didn't trade Murphy for the reason that I like him. I just think now is an ample opportunity to provide financial fleixibility in exchange for a player that is out playing his true production.

Duke, I truly respect everything you say on this board. I love your general optimistic view of the world and seemingly thinking that people are inherently good. I think however, that everyone's best attribute can sometimes be their biggest downfall. Here I think this is the case, where foregoing this opportunity could hinder the Pacers from getting better in the long-term. Thanks for your opinion Duke (as always), but we will continue to disagree on this topic.

duke dynamite
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah, but the money we have committed to them is a ton for two guys that won't be in our future plans and it restricts us A LOT over the next two years.

Can't change the past.

Fortunately, I am in 2009. I really like Troy Murphy as a person. I really like some of the things that Murphy brings to the court. But definitely not for the 11M this year and the 12M next.

Unfortunately, I agree with Naptown in that we need to sell high. One of the first rules in investing is "don't fall in love with a stock." Keep your emotions out of it, when looking at salary and true production. It is important to have high character guys on the team, but not at the expense of fiscal livelihood. I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if we didn't trade Murphy for the reason that I like him. I just think now is an ample opportunity to provide financial fleixibility in exchange for a player that is out playing his true production.

Duke, I truly respect everything you say on this board. I love your general optimistic view of the world and seemingly thinking that people are inherently good. I think however, that everyone's best attribute can sometimes be their biggest downfall. Here I think this is the case, where foregoing this opportunity could hinder the Pacers from getting better in the long-term. Thanks for your opinion Duke (as always), but we will continue to disagree on this topic.

I appreciate the kind words, but honestly his contract is not that bad compared to some I've seen. He isn't Jermaine O'Neal for one.

In this sense I am not saying hang on to him. I am just saying this in context that his contract isn't that bad compared to what it used to be. We have a little more flexibility.

MyFavMartin
06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
If the Pacers traded Murphy + Tinsley for Wallace, it would save us $4 million next season and $19 million in 2010.

I think that's math that even Hoosiers can understand.

BRushWithDeath
06-10-2009, 06:49 AM
and i think we wouldn't have that protected pick this season, so we would be fosterless with nothing in 2009 to show for it besides an expired contract

You say that like it's a bad thing.

OakMoses
06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
We have Murphy
49 double doubles last season
Contract expires in 2011

We get
Sideshow Bob- above average defender, good hustler, not much offense. How much and how long is his sign and trade?

Gibson- The dude is signed thru 2012-2013 season making around 4.5 VERY LONG CONTRACE

30th pick- No idea who is around 30. Do we draft Demerre Carroll or look for PG.

This is more of a mistake than the Croshere for Q6 deal.

Adding two roster spots at a high price. I would be happier with Mc Roberts and Graham for another season than Anderson Verajo and Daniel Gibson signed thru 2012-2013.

I am not against trading Troy but why settle for crumbs.

It really all depends on the contract that Varejao gets. If he gets anywhere near what he thinks he's worth (I think he wanted 10+ last time he was an FA), then it would be a horrible trade. If we can get him for Foster-level money, then I'm OK with it.

I agree with you about Gibson. I have no interest in him at all. He's paid at least twice as much as he's worth, and I'd rather have Diener as a 3rd PG. Travis is a better PG and just as good of a shooter.

Gibson would actually be a deal-breaker for me on this one. I'd demand that they either throw in Hickson if I'm taking Gibson, or that they give me Pavlovic's 1-year unguaranteed deal instead.

Speed
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
What happened to Gibson, he looked like a player when they went to the finals last time, which I think was his rookie year, it's like he has horribly regressed.

The guy I remembered was a dead eye shooter and a serviceable bench guy who wasn't a huge liability on defense.

Now, he doesn't look like a confident shooter and can't guard anyone, imo. Did he get a contract and lose his drive and determination. (Determination is my new favorite word and a must have for a player, btw) :)

pianoman
06-10-2009, 10:28 AM
When we are talking about these kind of trades, keep in mind that we have great chemistry, and the guys like each other. Do you want to disrupt that and trade murph for a guy with a questionable attitude? For some reason, I think it'd be a HUGE mistake if we were to ever do a trade like this. Yeah, sell high and such, but just keep him around for a little while longer. At least until the trade deadline, and if there is a trade that looks great then, jump on it! Just remember Chemistry folks...

Tiny Archibald
06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
The specifics of that particular trade possibility notwithstanding,
I'd be more concerned about disrupting the chemisty if they were
47-35 rather than 35-47 last season.

pianoman
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
The specifics of that particular trade possibility notwithstanding,
I'd be more concerned about disrupting the chemisty if they were
47-35 rather than 35-47 last season.

Actually, we won 36 games :happydanc:happydanc:happydanc:happydanc

Mr. Sobchak
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Playing hard is not worth being the highest paid player on the team..

billbradley
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing.

hmmm..i guess i didn't think it through completely. still, i don't know what i would rather have 6 million of the books or jeff foster. without resigning jack we would be around 16.5 under. i guess i would rather have the money, but the grass is always greener....