PDA

View Full Version : The Annual "I Want..." Thread

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I took a poll, as did some of you a few weeks ago. This poll was for the game experience at Conseco Fieldhouse. They gave you a rating system for various things, mascots, Pacemates, emcees, etc. You were also provided a write-in box for suggestions or comments.

For some of you new guys, at least last year we had a thread or threads just saying what we want or don't want to happen in or around the Fieldhouse during games. These discussions tend to lean away from the team, like trades or salaries...and focuses more on aesthetics or eye/ear candy. One of the biggest complains were what Reb Porter should say after a Pacers player made a three-point shot.

Gnome, Hicks, dustpan and I were discussing this last evening, which led me to want everyone to share what all we would like to have going on before or during games.

You can put whatever you like, and discuss it. Even if someone has chosen what you would like to see or not see, touch on it anyway and give an explaination why you feel or don't feel a certain way.

__________________________________________________ ____

I will start off first:

I would like Reb to continue to say "Home Run" exclusively after a three-point shot is made.

At the Fever game last night, they had our old blue and gold "siren" lights mounted to the goal post. They light up each time a three-point basket is made. These lights were up at MSA.

I miss the old song, "Pacers Crazy". They used to play this song right before the tip. Gnome remembers it.

The court from 1997-1999. The gold basketballs in the key. Those were AWESOME!

Remove the Verizon covers from the main speakers.

No more fire siren from Bowser. It is very loud.

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Fire siren. Try the Boomer giant hands, those will break an ear drum. But its all in good fun so I roll with it, even though he'll intentionally sneak up on you and scare the crap outta ya.

On that poll I told the Pacers to get rid of the mini-hoochie mamas dance squad. Disgusting. I don't need 8 year olds doing stripper dances with 10 lbs of makeup on. The regular jr cheer squads are fine, it's only these pedophile dream dates that bother me. The last game I damn near said something to one of the moms/coordinators as they ran off. I couldn't believe the Pacers had them back more than once.

I still don't like the white border. It's never worked for me.

Keep the pep band and drums, but also make sure to get them down to the court level every game so people can figure out what's going on. I've been with people who couldn't figure out what was going on because the band was blocked by the center scoreboard. I think seeing them on the floor ties them to the team more and people are more likely to get it.

It sure was nice to have the repel back. Special occassions only is fine, but that really brings back MSA heyday memories.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I still don't like the white border. It's never worked for me.

Keep the pep band and drums, but also make sure to get them down to the court level every game so people can figure out what's going on. I've been with people who couldn't figure out what was going on because the band was blocked by the center scoreboard. I think seeing them on the floor ties them to the team more and people are more likely to get it.

It sure was nice to have the repel back. Special occassions only is fine, but that really brings back MSA heyday memories.
Those are a couple of very good ideas.

The court is plain. Too plain.

Boomer coming down from the rafters...just great to be able to witness that again.

When they confirmed the pep-band last season, I assumed they'd be close to the floor. Like a school's pep band. It was a great inclusion, but you're right. The scoreboard does keep from everyone getting a decent view.

If they would've kept the 100 level bleachers, and ditched the Legends idea, they would've been a great place for the band to be.

idioteque
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
No more Home Run, Duke and I could argue about that for ages though, so I'll leave it at that. The one thing I will give HR is that it is unique, and in too many NBA arenas the experience the fan has is basically the same from city to city.

I like the idea of bringing back a few things from the past but I hope the team doesn't get carried away with it. The Boomer repel, the lights, that's enough for me. The 90's were great, no doubt about it, but I want the team to have a bit of a new identity going into the 10's.

One thing I would like the Pacers to develop is a more unique player introduction/entrance thing. It seems to be the same in most arenas now: an annoying Mason-like announcer trying to get the crowd pumped up when in reality it sounds kinda lame. I love what the Lakers do: their player introductions are very laid back and classy, but still exciting.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
No more Home Run, Duke and I could argue about that for ages though, so I'll leave it at that. The one thing I will give HR is that it is unique, and in too many NBA arenas the experience the fan has is basically the same from city to city.

grumble grumble grumble...

I just don't see why people dislike it. It's part of our history. If/when the time comes that Reb retires, sure, can it. Until then let's keep it.

One thing I would like the Pacers to develop is a more unique player introduction/entrance thing. It seems to be the same in most arenas now: an annoying Mason-like announcer trying to get the crowd pumped up when in reality it sounds kinda lame. I love what the Lakers do: their player introductions are very laid back and classy, but still exciting.
I really liked what the Lakers did during at least one that I saw, but they had this huge drape over the center scoreboard with a video being projected onto it. It was pretty neat.

PacerScout
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Since we aren't going to be able to draft a young PF/C, I want the Pacers to sign-and-trade for David Lee.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Since we aren't going to be able to draft a young PF/C, I want the Pacers to sign-and-trade for David Lee.
This isn't for roster upgrades/acquisitions. But at least you want something.

LG33
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I heard that, due to the increased availability of seating in the arenas, the pep band will instead be a full-blown orchestra complete with timpani, a couple harps, and at least one Yo-Yo Ma.

ECKrueger
06-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Fire siren. Try the Boomer giant hands, those will break an ear drum. But its all in good fun so I roll with it, even though he'll intentionally sneak up on you and scare the crap outta ya.

On that poll I told the Pacers to get rid of the mini-hoochie mamas dance squad. Disgusting. I don't need 8 year olds doing stripper dances with 10 lbs of makeup on. The regular jr cheer squads are fine, it's only these pedophile dream dates that bother me. The last game I damn near said something to one of the moms/coordinators as they ran off. I couldn't believe the Pacers had them back more than once.

The siren has to go, but I agree with the hands.

I CANNOT stand the little girls. For one, that is just some of the worst dancing anyways, but worse is the fact that they're 8 or whatever.

Ever sat next to the pep band? I thought my ears were going to bleed.

Major Cold
06-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I hate the white border. I like the blue border, or even yellow.

And Seth I agree, I went to 7 games this year and the "Ain't my 8 year old daughter sexy" dance teams were there twice.

I am indifferent to the pep band. And I could care less about the Emce's running around. But I can't stand the "home run" call. Sometimes you don't need to be original.

PacerDude
06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Cool as it was, I doubt that we'll see anymore rappelling from the rafters. IIRC, didn't someone die doing that at some event somewhere ??

After some Googling .............. http://www.mahalo.com/owen-hart

Hicks
06-08-2009, 02:51 PM
8? I'd believe 6. Not even 8.

Hicks
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Cool as it was, I doubt that we'll see anymore rappelling from the rafters. IIRC, didn't someone die doing that at some event somewhere ??

Hart died a long while ago. I think we're just now seeing people bring it back. I doubt it's going to go away again on account of that accident. A new accident? Probably.

Jonathan
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
I would like for all season tickets to recieve a $25 gift ceritificate for concessions or use at the home court gift shop for each package they purchase. Several of them were screwed last year with all the discounts they missed ie 3 dollar tickets for the Tues/Wed games.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Freddy Fever did it last night.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I would like for all season tickets to recieve a $25 gift ceritificate for concessions or use at the home court gift shop for each package they purchase. Several of them were screwed last year with all the discounts they missed ie 3 dollar tickets for the Tues/Wed games.
I'm not pushing for that. We got what we deserved. A guaranteed seat.

Dr. Goldfoot
06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I want varied half time shows.

I want more live music taking place in the corridors prior to and after the game.

I want free sponsored shwag at every game.

I want a DJ that keeps up with current music trends while not completely forgetting the past. Bob Seger is cool and all but do we really need "Old Time Rock N Roll" at all 41 games. There are millions of appropriate songs that can rotated.

I want to be able to see at least one of the "players on the floor stats" boards from any seat in the house including the nosebleeds.

I want the vendors to be creative and original. There's one lady who does both Pacer and Indian games and she makes the evening better with funny banter.

Really though I enjoyed myself quite a bit at the games I attended with my kids this year. I didn't have as much fun when going with some dudes. The balloon animal guy is great for a 4 year old but just not as impressive to a group of mid-lifers. I really wish there were some better bars and grubberies across the street etc...The Pub has bad food and even worse service. The place that replaced the Hooters or whatever is filthy and poorly setup. If you go much further you might as well get in your car and drive somewhere. There's nothing to the East at all and I can't think of one place within walking distance I'd consider a sports bar.

Dr. Goldfoot
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
8? I'd believe 6. Not even 8.

Yeah. They were a group of what appeared to be 4-10 year olds. Probably from some dance/tumble/cheerleading/gymnastics "school".

Dr. Goldfoot
06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Something I really like was that one guy who was an Indiana hero or whatever that beat up an intruder and then when the guy came to he beat him up again. Reb Porter really got the crowd into him that night.

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Hart died a long while ago. I think we're just now seeing people bring it back. I doubt it's going to go away again on account of that accident. A new accident? Probably.
Yeah, and that's when it went away from arenas. But it returned to the Pacers last year. I was shocked when suddenly 10 feet away Boomer popped into view at the home opener. I wasn't ready to take photos of it at all and figured we'd never see it again.

So now it's back and if F Fever just did it too (or same person) it looks like it's going to stick. That's a good thing.

Glad so many others agree on that dance team. Definitely the biggest WTF?!?! moment in my entire Pacers going career. I almost went into "REALLY with Seth and Amy" mode at the coaches/trainers/abusers when they left the floor.

And yet as Major also points out, they made SEVERAL appearances. Who in the PR dept watched that and thought "yep, went pretty good". Doubly considering the whole family-friendly image conscious mode they have moved into. Epic fail on that one.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, and that's when it went away from arenas. But it returned to the Pacers last year. I was shocked when suddenly 10 feet away Boomer popped into view at the home opener. I wasn't ready to take photos of it at all and figured we'd never see it again.

So now it's back and if F Fever just did it too (or same person) it looks like it's going to stick. That's a good thing.

Glad so many others agree on that dance team. Definitely the biggest WTF?!?! moment in my entire Pacers going career. I almost went into "REALLY with Seth and Amy" mode at the coaches/trainers/abusers when they left the floor.

And yet as Major also points out, they made SEVERAL appearances. Who in the PR dept watched that and thought "yep, went pretty good". Doubly considering the whole family-friendly image conscious mode they have moved into. Epic fail on that one.

From what I remember Boomer did this during the season finale' in 07-08. It could've been another game, though.

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
There's nothing to the East at all and I can't think of one place within walking distance I'd consider a sports bar.
Did you know that Scotty's went into the building 1 block north of Conseco, the one on the point where Virginia ends and runs into Penn. I've been jocking them simply because they fit exactly the need you describe. You could even comfortably park at the Conseco garage early and then head there before/after the game. It's basically the same distance as walking to The Pub. Put it under the category of "why didn't someone do this sooner".

BTW, the Front Page up on Mass and Delaware is now greatly expanded. Music is too loud for my taste (tough on talking levels) but it makes for a decent post-game hang out. Not walking necessarily, though you easily could, just more downtown drink/eat space. And at least there you can park on Delaware instead of Mass Ave. And you have Bazbeaux and McNivens on that same block. Let's you get away without going all the way home.

thunderbird1245
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
This is a good thread idea by Duke, thanks for starting it.

Here would be my partial list:

1. I want the pep band expanded and given a permanent seating section under one of the baskets on the lower level, or maybe in one of the lower corners.

2. I want every high school varsity basketball player in the state to be able to attend 1 Pacers home game and be honored at halftime with their families and coaches. The Pacers could do this by county, and have 2-3 counties represented every home game, or have them come up during Sunday home games if you must. Imagine how many young fans you might be able to build this way, and you can imagine a marketing campaign built upon the "hoosier heritage of basketball" or something to that effect. How many one game tickets could you sell from some of the more rural counties on a given night by doing this...."The Pacers tonight present ORANGE/LAKE/SHELBY/VIGO COUNTY night" or whatever.

3. The Pacers could build upon that by having "Living Legends Nights" and honor Indiana basketball and other sports legends as a promotion during the year. How many extra tickets could be sold to casual fans by having non basketball athletes from Indiana, like many of the race car drivers from the state? Think a Nascar promotion involving Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, and Tony Stewart might work? How about some of the Indy 500 drivers....maybe Danica Patrick could make an appearance.

4. I'd like to see the Pacers make a concerted public push at every home game to get Slick Leonard into the Hall of Fame.

5. I'd like the Pacers to play more Saturday and Sunday afternoon games, especially in non football season, like early spring.

6. Training camp practices should be held somewhere besides Indianapolis in the state someplace and be open to the public.

Tbird

focused444
06-08-2009, 08:36 PM
First off there is a ton of good ideas in here and certainly more to come...

Secondly the pacers PR department should really take a look at a thread like this...

that being said, due to my proximity to the fieldhouse (i live in NY) i have never had the privilege to attend a game there. so if my ideas seem outta place my bad...

the color of the court: i do not know what is wrong with it exactly. is it the white border, sure...but the real problem stems from the fact that it does not look as professional as it used to, and is aesthetically unpleasing...

the uniforms: i am not just a fan who like uniforms from when i was a kid...some of the retro pacers jerseys i like less then the current...but the previous 3 uniforms i liked better... so my proposal is to have retro jersey nights rotating through the unis...i know the league has something to do with what retro jerseys a team wears...where is our mid 90's throwbacks???

the atmosphere: the atmosphere (as it appears from a person watching, dying to be there) is in a word to Bright:cool:... yes the lights on the crowd are too bright...yes i want to see all of you guys in the stands...yes i understand that it is a family enviroment...but i believe if the lights are turned down(over the crowd during game time) the energy of will pick up...people will look like this:buddies: more often...think of the miami heat playoffs (before they switched to white outs)those "black outs" i can still remember. what i propose is a weekly "blue out" where the crowd gets a blue pacers shirt at the door(i am not considering the $ in this)...this will draw people to games, unite the crowd and effectively change the atmosphere...unless danny likes the lights the way they are then leave them;)

like i said never have been in person...maybe its just the tv...but i am willing to bet on a psychological correlation between crowds and lighting...the fieldhouse really got up for the wins over the lakers and cavs games though..........go pacers...

idioteque
06-08-2009, 08:51 PM
This is a good thread idea by Duke, thanks for starting it.

Here would be my partial list:

1. I want the pep band expanded and given a permanent seating section under one of the baskets on the lower level, or maybe in one of the lower corners.

This is an interesting idea but I don't think it could happen because the team would be forfeiting too much in ticket revenue.

2. I want every high school varsity basketball player in the state to be able to attend 1 Pacers home game and be honored at halftime with their families and coaches. The Pacers could do this by county, and have 2-3 counties represented every home game, or have them come up during Sunday home games if you must. Imagine how many young fans you might be able to build this way, and you can imagine a marketing campaign built upon the "hoosier heritage of basketball" or something to that effect. How many one game tickets could you sell from some of the more rural counties on a given night by doing this...."The Pacers tonight present ORANGE/LAKE/SHELBY/VIGO COUNTY night" or whatever.

I like this idea but I think it could be vetoed by Stern (1-0) because of the rule about promoting 75 (or is it 150) miles outside of where the team is headquartered. I agree with you in spirit though.

5. I'd like the Pacers to play more Saturday and Sunday afternoon games, especially in non football season, like early spring.

Every team in the league should be doing this, absolutely.

[/quote]

Smoothdave1
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
A listing of things I want:

-- I want the Pacers player to come up with a creative dance or introduction. I know some of you have seen LeBron and the Cavs "taking pictures" or Shaq & the Suns "bowling over players". I think it would be fun and entertaining for the fans

-- I want to see and hear more of the pep band and maybe we can get a mic nearby. It seems like every time I would go to a game, it was somewhat hard to hear the pep-band. One of my favorite things about attending IU games was hearing the pep band and the enthusiasm that they brought

-- I'd also like to see the Pacers bring back a DJ of some sorts. I know we had Paul B a few years ago and you wouldn't have to do it every game, but you can only hear the same songs so many times

-- I want the Pacers to have more Thursday games and more Saturday afternoon games. I think they rarely played on Thursday's at home and only maybe a few times on the road. I realize it makes it harder to do a back-to-back on Friday and Saturday, but it might be fun to have a few Thursday games this year

-- I would like to see the Pacers have themes for games. For example, IU may have a white out where everyone should wear white. I know teams do this in the playoffs and that might be fun to do occasionally during the season, especially against teams like Boston, Cleveland, Lakers, etc.

-- I would like to see the Pacers bring back some of their old intro videos. I HATED the choir thing they did in 2007-2008. But I liked the old intro where the Pacer emblem was traveling through Indiana and downtown Indy and then got to MSA/Conseco and then exploded. Anyone else remember this? I also liked when they had the opposing team come out and played the "Who are you" and showed video of the skyline.

-- I wish the Pacers would bring back autograph sessions with the players during the week or on Saturday. I would also like to see more personal appearances. I can remember years ago there would be appearances everywhere

-- I think it would be fun to have a Pacers vs Pacers Legends exhibition game before the season. You could even mix up the teams and have current players on opposing teams. How fun would it be to see Rik Smits and Roy battle it out? This would be a slower pace and just kind of fun to see some of the older players against our current guys

-- I would like to see Danny Granger or someone else step up and help organize something (maybe not as big) similar to what Alonzo Mourning does in Miami every summer in his "Zo's Summer Groove". This annual long weekend of events includes a block party, basketball clinic, dinner, concert, all-star/celebrity basketball game, etc. You could even use the current and former Pacer players as well as other players currently in the league and those who have recently retired. There's enough guys in and around Indy who live here in the summer including current Pacers as well as guys like Croshere, Pollard, Carl Landry, George Hill, Eric Gordon, Oden, Conley, Courtney Lee, Zach Randolph, Vern Fleming, Smits, etc to field 2 teams. Plus, you could get some current or former Colts and Fever players involved too. How fun would it be to have some events in July or August for Pacer fans and any proceeds going to charity or establishing scholarships?

-- I would like to see a Pacers player or the Pacers offer to host a summer camp free of charge for those who cannot afford to attend a camp. Surely you could get a few sponsors to pay for t-shirts, drinks, etc.

Just a few ideas I have that I think would be fun to see happen.

Major Cold
06-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I think the NCAA might get their panties in a ruffle if a NBA team was paying the expenses for future student athletes to come and be recognized.

duke dynamite
06-09-2009, 12:39 AM
This has become a very good thread. You guys are awesome!!!

Bball
06-09-2009, 03:02 AM
I'd be fine with blue and/or gold seats... not green. Get rid of the green seats.

I'm also not thrilled with the green Conseco logo on the court.

I'm not a fan of green generally anyway. It's a BLAH color. Conseco should've chosen a different color for their company... ;)

Other than that, sign me up for T-Bird's ideas.

-Bball

crunk-juice
06-09-2009, 05:16 PM
that stupid siren thing bugs mike like none other

it is just embarrasing