PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the 2nd annual PD Pacers awards show- Newcomer of the year

Kstat
06-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Past winners-

2008: Travis Deiner

duke dynamite
06-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Jack.

Kaufman
06-06-2009, 03:51 PM
i voted for rush. at the end of the season, he had me the most excited about 2010.

idioteque
06-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I voted Rush- even though getting Jarrett Jack has been really nice for the Pacers so far.

Putnam
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Hibbert.

For all the reasons given by Seth in his "I don't care" thread. Plus, donuts.

Can't go with Jack because he made a lot of mistakes that a veteran shouldn't. all Hibbert's mistakes can be explained as rookie mistakes. (But he's no longer a rookie, so he has no more excuses.)

Hicks
06-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I voted Jack, but I easily could have voted Hibbert. Rush is a slightly distant third because it took him a while.

Sollozzo
06-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I'll go Roy. I love the offensive promise that he showed all season long. I would've voted for Brandon if he wouldn't have come on so late in the year.

I love both of these guys. They are going to be staples of this franchise for a long, long time along with Danny Granger. It's amazing to me how much more I enjoyed rooting for these guys this season than I did any of the previous 6. It was so hard for me to like those teams.

When this team is making the playoffs I will be proud to say that I watched most of the games of Hibbert and Rush's rookie season. It's going to be neat to watch guys grow up like this.

Justin Tyme
06-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I felt Jack was, but then I always wanted Jack in a Pacers' uni.

Pacemaker
06-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Gotta love Roy !!!

2minutes twowa
06-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I think most of the guys on the list ended up being exactly what we thought they'd be, so I voted for Jack. I think be exceeded expectations more than the rest.

Brad8888
06-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Because he was given the opportunity to contribute and actually delivered many times throughout the year, my vote goes to Jack, despite my belief that Rush will have an overall larger impact on the franchise going forward.

danman
06-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Best of 2009? Jack.

Best hope for the future? Rush.

Kid Minneapolis
06-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm always looking to the future... so Rush.

CableKC
06-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Jack was shaky at first, but then became solid as the season progressed.

Los Angeles
06-07-2009, 03:24 AM
I don't care how well he played, I still don't like Jack's game.

If I ask myself deep down inside, I have to admit that I think he had a "contract year" - nothing more, nothing less.

I've never spoken of this before now, and I won't likely discuss it afterward, as I like the guy as a person and if he stays a pacer and contributes to our team, I will support him. But I think a lot of us took Jack's performance WAY out of context and turned him into some kind of player he is not.

Just my two cents.

ChicagoJ
06-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't care how well he played, I still don't like Jack's game.

If I ask myself deep down inside, I have to admit that I think he had a "contract year" - nothing more, nothing less.

I've never spoken of this before now, and I won't likely discuss it afterward, as I like the guy as a person and if he stays a pacer and contributes to our team, I will support him. But I think a lot of us took Jack's performance WAY out of context and turned him into some kind of player he is not.

Just my two cents.

Interesting points. I like Jack more for his mental toughness, his leadership, his grittiness. I'll happily admit his game has a lot of flaws - more than I would prefer from a PG. But he's the anti-Tinsley: what he lacks in raw talent he makes up with hustle, tough mindedness, leadership. I hope he stays with the Pacers a long time, and he's the best PG currently on our roster. But we still need to find a long-term starting PG.

Shade
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Jack, and it's not even close. Rush and Roy came on a bit late, but Jack made his mark far more than anyone else that joined the Pacers last season.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Jack, and it's not even close. Rush and Roy came on a bit late, but Jack made his mark far more than anyone else that joined the Pacers last season.
Did you know that there is a new flavor of Kool-Aid?

It's called JACK.

:buddies:

count55
06-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Interesting points. I like Jack more for his mental toughness, his leadership, his grittiness. I'll happily admit his game has a lot of flaws - more than I would prefer from a PG. But he's the anti-Tinsley: what he lacks in raw talent he makes up with hustle, tough mindedness, leadership. I hope he stays with the Pacers a long time, and he's the best PG currently on our roster. But we still need to find a long-term starting PG.

Seconded...I can understand not liking his game, and I agree that he's not the ideal PG of the future, but the idea that he had a "contract year" has some ugly implications that I neither agree with or think is particularly fair.

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2009, 01:16 PM
First of all is having Jack and Rush leading this vote Shade's worst nightmare or what. ;)

Second, tough call for me. I said Rush but nearly went with Jack. Overall I go with Jack, but I like what Rush was for the team in the final month more than what Jack was all year. I think Rush became a more critical piece than Jack by the end of the year.

Considering both were acquired with the same draft pick that's a pretty nice addition. I really want to see Jack return, primarily because of attitude. He's a leader type, he's a guy that imposes himself on the situation in a positive though sometimes volatile way and the Pacers have been lacking that for some time (maybe since Jax left a decade ago).

I don't think he needs to be a big minutes guy or a starter to fill that role either.

Long term though I think Rush is going to help the team much more. I'm excited because I liked him as a prospect, liked his game, and it's looking like that's going to pan out as hoped. I look forward to some fun seasons watching him grow.