PDA

View Full Version : Nets to build Conseco Fieldhouse #2?

Smoothdave1
06-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Looks like the Nets have changed their Brooklyn arena design plans and look to build an arena that looks VERY similar to Conseco Fieldhouse, although they claim it resembles an airplane hangar. The designers are the same ones who built Conseco Fieldhouse, but see the link below and take a look for yourself to see the similarities:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/nyregion/05gehry.html?_r=2&hp

Los Angeles
06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
The world needs more Conseco Fieldhouses and fewer Staples Centers, in my opinion.

SycamoreKen
06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
It kind of looks like Dallas' place as well.

Unclebuck
06-05-2009, 08:13 AM
I think the Spurs and Bobcats new arenas were also built by the same co. and are similar to Conseco

duke dynamite
06-05-2009, 08:59 AM
One more reason for me not to like the Nets. This design is a total ripoff. Good architects will take previous ideas and make them different, better. This is pretty much the same thing.

When did Brooklyn value basketball as much as we do?

Kegboy
06-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Wow. Don't let Spike Lee hear you say that.

:peek:

duke dynamite
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow. Don't let Spike Lee hear you say that.

:peek:
In my mind I feel outraged that Ellerbe Beckett would do such a thing. Our place is unique to us. I mean come on, the GM of the Nets probably told them to make another Fieldhouse, because they play in that ****hole IZOD Center.

"Well maybe if we have a place like that people will like us!"

HA! Yeah right! We already have the cathedral among shacks and we can't even fill it!

Trophy
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I've been to the Continental Airlines Arena/Izod Center like 4 or 5 times for the Pacers. When it was Continental it looked like a big white box as the arena. Going there last season it was redone on the outside a little by adding some color to the white.

Other than that I think the Brooklyn idea is ok I guess. Just too many NY teams.

I like New York Nets rather than Brooklyn Nets.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I like New York Nets rather than Brooklyn Nets.

I like Brooklyn Dodgers rather than Los Angeles Dodgers.

Brooklyn deserves to have its own team again.

Trophy
06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I like Brooklyn Dodgers rather than Los Angeles Dodgers.

Brooklyn deserves to have its own team again.

They're getting their wish granted.

Brooklyn Dodgers is a classic name though and I agree I like that inastead of Los Angeles.

idioteque
06-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Have you ever seen the kids play ball in Brooklyn? They've been doing it awhile over there, too. It ain't all about cornfields and crew cuts, even though Indiana does own a good portion of the claim to basketball mecca.

Trophy
06-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Brooklyn basketball players play on the hot, blacktop courts and they use chain nets.

I always like going through Brooklyn.

duke dynamite
06-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Have you ever seen the kids play ball in Brooklyn? They've been doing it awhile over there, too. It ain't all about cornfields and crew cuts, even though Indiana does own a good portion of the claim to basketball mecca.
I was going of the nostalgia of what we have. We have a museum/arena/church.

If Brooklyn wants to show off their passion for streetball, they can build a blacktop and a chain-linked fence.

I just don't like it. The Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind.

Kegboy
06-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

duke dynamite
06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
I sir, am not flattered. :laugh:

idioteque
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I was going of the nostalgia of what we have. We have a museum/arena/church.

If Brooklyn wants to show off their passion for streetball, they can build a blacktop and a chain-linked fence.

Come on Duke that's just silly. That's like saying the Pacers might as well be playing in a cornfield in Bedford. I've never seen a cornfield or a driveway as nice as the Fieldhouse.

What do you mean that the Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind? Was there a legal agreement with the people who built it? I do like the idea of CF being unique but also think it is cool that we have spawned a new trend in basketball arenas.

Los Angeles
06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
The Fieldhouse was supposed to be one of a kind.

It was? Was this something said at the time or something you made up in your head?

This is the Disney Concert Hall by Frank Gehry:

http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e809-4db2-a84b-06fc4c00d03e/m1x00115_frankgehry.jpg

This is the precedent Guggenheim Museum, also by Frank Gehry:

http://www.eikongraphia.com/wordpress/wp-content/214124744_253b766ecc_o%20Flickr%20Anrew%20Jaffe%20 small.jpg

They are absolutely both one-of-a-kind buildings, though they are each a part of a larger body of work.

The Brooklyn design is by the same archtect that designed the Fieldhouse. It's design is informed by the lessons of building the Fieldhouse. But each are unique in several ways.

Good ideas need to be repeated or the human culture will never progress.

Roaming Gnome
06-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Duke, you shouldn't be that outraged. It happens all the time! Just look at the ballparks in baseball. Anyway, Indiana isn't exclusive in being identified for basketball. Personally, I believe that NYC has as rich of a history to the game we love as we do.

Sollozzo
06-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Except that the retro stadium idea was popularized by Camden Yards in Baltimore.

I agree with LA, good ideas need to be built on. I'm flattered as a Pacer fan that someone likes our facility enough to replicate it somewhat.

Lucas Oil was modeled somewhat after Reliant Stadium, but that doesn't take away from the beauty of either facility.

cinotimz
06-06-2009, 10:54 PM
I think we should be flattered.

Now, if the new building ends up being a much better home court advantage-like it tends to be for us-and it results in them passing us in the standings.

Well, thats a different story...now you have something to be pissed off about.

Trophy
06-07-2009, 04:45 PM
The inside looks like the Fieldhouse. The modern theme of it.

idioteque
06-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I wish that the NFL would go with the retro look like the NBA and MLB owners are doing as far as it comes to new stadiums. This new trend of stadiums they have right now- in the Cards stadium, the Colts, and the Texans are incredibly ugly. Lincoln Financial Field in Philly is somewhat of an exception.

Sollozzo
06-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I wish that the NFL would go with the retro look like the NBA and MLB owners are doing as far as it comes to new stadiums. This new trend of stadiums they have right now- in the Cards stadium, the Colts, and the Texans are incredibly ugly. Lincoln Financial Field in Philly is somewhat of an exception.

I'll take Lucas and Reliant over hideous domes any day.

duke dynamite
06-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm just trying to stir the pot, guys. The summers are really slow.

ChicagoPacer
06-08-2009, 01:26 AM

I realize now you're "just trying to stir the pot", but I thought I'd point out a few Pacer links to Brooklyn:

-our first Pacer and a guy whose jersey hangs from Conseco grew up there (Roger Brown)
-two players who played prominent roles on our better NBA teams (one more than the other) did as well (Chris Mullin and Mark Jackson)
-our current head coach is from there too

If there is another NBA city fit to go with a retro arena design, it's Brooklyn.

Los Angeles
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM
I realize now you're "just trying to stir the pot", but I thought I'd point out a few Pacer links to Brooklyn:

-our first Pacer and a guy whose jersey hangs from Conseco grew up there (Roger Brown)
-two players who played prominent roles on our better NBA teams (one more than the other) did as well (Chris Mullin and Mark Jackson)

If there is another NBA city fit to go with a retro arena design, it's Brooklyn.

Isn't Donnie Walsh from Brooklyn? if not then he's definitely a new yorker.

EDIT - What burough is Tinsley from?

ChicagoPacer
06-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Isn't Donnie Walsh from Brooklyn? if not then he's definitely a new yorker.

EDIT - What burough is Tinsley from?

Tinsley is from Brooklyn...Walsh the Bronx. Two other former Pacers with Brooklyn ties: Sam Perkins and Larry Brown.

Sollozzo
06-08-2009, 02:55 AM
And Vern Flemming

Phree Refill
06-08-2009, 07:28 AM
And don't forget Erazem Lorbek ...wait... what?

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 09:19 AM

So?

WetBob
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm just trying to stir the pot, guys. The summers are really slow.

The all-time cop out. "Just trying to stir the pot."

No, you were wrong.

duke dynamite
06-09-2009, 12:51 AM
The all-time cop out. "Just trying to stir the pot."

No, you were wrong.

Pssssh, whatever. It is what it is. I am not wrong, just objective and opinionated. Just like you.

Bball
06-09-2009, 08:27 AM
It was? Was this something said at the time or something you made up in your head?

This is the Disney Concert Hall by Frank Gehry:

http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e809-4db2-a84b-06fc4c00d03e/m1x00115_frankgehry.jpg

This is the precedent Guggenheim Museum, also by Frank Gehry:

http://www.eikongraphia.com/wordpress/wp-content/214124744_253b766ecc_o%20Flickr%20Anrew%20Jaffe%20 small.jpg

They are absolutely both one-of-a-kind buildings, though they are each a part of a larger body of work.

The Brooklyn design is by the same archtect that designed the Fieldhouse. It's design is informed by the lessons of building the Fieldhouse. But each are unique in several ways.

One of those buildings must've collapsed and the other looks like it has melted...

They should've built them out of better materials... ;)

Trophy
06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/BrooklynNets/interior2.jpg

http://www.mswoods.com/in/indianapolis/Pictures/Indianapolis_Sports/Conseco_Field_House2.jpg

idioteque
06-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Interestingly enough, New Yorkers don't even like the design that much. There was really a more interesting design they had in place that was scrapped due to price. This New York times article ironically says the new design, which is being debated here, belongs "in a cornfield." There is a small picture on the left side of this article that you can enlarge that shows the original design for the Brooklyn arena, very interesting, unlike anything I've seen in sports.

Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/arts/design/09arena.html

YoSoyIndy
06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Interestingly enough, New Yorkers don't even like the design that much. There was really a more interesting design they had in place that was scrapped due to price. This New York times article ironically says the new design, which is being debated here, belongs "in a cornfield." There is a small picture on the left side of this article that you can enlarge that shows the original design for the Brooklyn arena, very interesting, unlike anything I've seen in sports.

Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/arts/design/09arena.html

The cornfield comment is hilarious. Goes to show the importance of marketing w/ local flavor as Indy loved the original Indiana Fieldhouse designs and NY'ers appear to hate a similar design.