PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma City Moving #3 Pick?

eldubious
06-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Oklahoma City may be looking to move down in order to draft BJ Mullens. Detroit is the main suitor offering Amir Johnson and the 15th. The Pacers could put together a better deal with the 13th and Foster. Acquiring the 3rd pick could give the Pacers their pick between Rubio or Thabeet.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-June-2nd-3241/

Peck
06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
While the 13th pick in the draft would be better than the 15th pick I am not sure that Jeff Foster in his 30's clearly on the decline physically with an extended contract would be better than young Amir Johnson.

If it were a one year rental for either player, maybe, but right now Amir will receive around 3.6 mil for next season while Jeff will be getting 12.6 million for the next two.

Memphis is nothing if not worried about the bottom line.

count55
06-02-2009, 09:53 PM
This doesn't say anything about the 3rd pick:

With the Detroit Pistons looking to get as far under the salary cap as they can this summer, and the Oklahoma City Thunder being one of the few teams who are able to help them shed salary, the two teams have emerged as natural trade partners, multiple NBA sources told DraftExpress this past weekend.

With very few teams projected to have cap space this summer (Oklahoma City, Memphis, Portland, Sacramento and Atlanta being the main ones), it appears that Detroit could be in great position to take advantage of the strength of this free agent class and nab a couple of pieces that would put them right back in the mix to compete for the Eastern conference finals. Detroit is currently slated to be around 20 million dollars underneath the cap, but could shed another five million or so by unloading the contracts of Amir Johnson and their first round pick (#15).

Enter the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are reportedly high on B.J. Mullens (as is Milwaukee), and likely would be able to nab him with the 15th pick. Considering how far under the cap they’ll be this summer, they would have no problem taking on Amir Johnson’s expiring 3.66 million dollar contract. They should be able to find a suitor for their late first round pick if they choose to do so, as teams like San Antonio, Houston, Toronto and Orlando are all in the market for a draft choice in that range.

With the money Detroit frees up, they could go after their top two free agent targets, rumored to be Paul Millsap and Ben Gordon.

It just says the Pistons are looking to dump salary, and OKC can help them. It's non-specific about what OKC would give back, but I'm guessing a future draft pick.

The $5mm the article says they'd save assumes that they wouldn't have a draft pick...in fact, getting back the #3 would almost completely offset that savings.

There's no way they're getting the #3 for Amir Johnson & #15...and there's no way we're getting it for Foster & #13.

count55
06-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Memphis is nothing if not worried about the bottom line.

It's OKC.

maragin
06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
It's OKC.

See? You're always debating.

CableKC
06-03-2009, 12:46 AM
This doesn't say anything about the 3rd pick:
It just says the Pistons are looking to dump salary, and OKC can help them. It's non-specific about what OKC would give back, but I'm guessing a future draft pick.

The $5mm the article says they'd save assumes that they wouldn't have a draft pick...in fact, getting back the #3 would almost completely offset that savings.

There's no way they're getting the #3 for Amir Johnson & #15...and there's no way we're getting it for Foster & #13.
Oh...I get it.....the Pistons are looking for some Team to take on Amir's Expiring Contract and one of the few teams that would take on Amir's contract without sending back additional salary is OKC. But the cost for taking on Amir's contract would be the 15th pick.

Not bad.....OKC basically absorb Amir's contract and take the 15th pick while sending back a TPE to the Pistons....which would only free up even more Capspace for the Pistons to spend in FA. The Pistons get space to spend on more FA....and OKC gets 2 tradeable assets...and Expiring Contract that they can use later ( if they choose ) and the 15th pick.....a prime spot to still get a decent rotational player in the draft.

See what having Financial/SalaryCap flexibility gets you? It not only gives you the option to try and sign FA ( if they choose to go to Indy ) and it gives your Team more options to improve your Team.

duke dynamite
06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
"OKC moving #3 Pick...TO SEATTLE"

Gamble1
06-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh...I get it.....the Pistons are looking for some Team to take on Amir's Expiring Contract and one of the few teams that would take on Amir's contract without sending back additional salary is OKC. But the cost for taking on Amir's contract would be the 15th pick.

Not bad.....OKC basically absorb Amir's contract and take the 15th pick while sending back a TPE to the Pistons....which would only free up even more Capspace for the Pistons to spend in FA. The Pistons get space to spend on more FA....and OKC gets 2 tradeable assets...and Expiring Contract that they can use later ( if they choose ) and the 15th pick.....a prime spot to still get a decent rotational player in the draft.

See what having Financial/SalaryCap flexibility gets you? It not only gives you the option to try and sign FA ( if they choose to go to Indy ) and it gives your Team more options to improve your Team.

My question is couldn't we do the same thing with QUis by extending his contract one year then trading him to OKC for the 3rd pick?

d_c
06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
My question is couldn't we do the same thing with QUis by extending his contract one year then trading him to OKC for the 3rd pick?

Of course you could legally do that under the cap, but what incentive would OKC have to do that?

Gamble1
06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Of course you could legally do that under the cap, but what incentive would OKC have to do that?

IF all they want is a salary dump and a quality player then why not for a 2/3 guard. I admit that I have no clue who Amirs is but it sounds like the OCK 3rd pick is cheap.

d_c
06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
IF all they want is a salary dump and a quality player then why not for a 2/3 guard. I admit that I have no clue who Amirs is but it sounds like the OCK 3rd pick is cheap.

Read count's post again.

The title of this thread is misleading and in fact should be fixed. It has nothing to do with the #3 pick in the draft. It's been reported that OKC is looking to acquire Mullens but nowhere does the Draft Express article talk about OKC trading down from the #3 pick.

OakMoses
06-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Read count's post again.

The title of this thread is misleading and in fact should be fixed. It has nothing to do with the #3 pick in the draft. It's been reported that OKC is looking to acquire Mullens but nowhere does the Draft Express article talk about OKC trading down from the #3 pick.

You're right on here, at least about the linked and quoted article.

Not to muddy the waters, but I have read that OKC is looking to move down because they really want to draft Stephen Curry.

naptownmenace
06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
"OKC moving #3 Pick...TO SEATTLE"

Hilarious!

:laugh:

count55
06-03-2009, 12:33 PM
It's OKC.

See? You're always debating.

Yeah...that was kind of a dick post (my post)...I was in correction mode, and I didn't stop in time.

CableKC
06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
As d_c pointed out....the title of the article and the initial post itself is misleading. OKC isn't moving the 3rd pick for an Expiring contract ( Amir Johnson ) + 15th pick nor are they looking for an Expiring contract ( since they are under the Salary Cap )....they would take on Amir Johnson + 15th pick while sending back a TPE to Detroit.

OKC is essentially buying another 1st round draft pick ( as suggested to possibly draft BJ Mullens at the 15th pick )...but instead of using Cash....they're taking on the Expiring contract of Amir Johnson ( who'll they'll probably try out then waive/buyout if he doesn't work out ) in exchange for the 15th pick. The Pistons want to get Amir's contract off the of the books and is essentially looking to FA ( instead of this years draft ) to improve their team. If this gets done....I think it's a brilliant move on the part of both Teams.....both Teams gets soemthing that they want out of this.

count55
06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Re-read the article. OKC isn't moving the 3rd pick for an Expiring contract ( Amir Johnson ) + 15th pick....they would take on Amir Johnson + 15th pick while sending back a TPE to Detroit.

I don't believe Detroit would get a TPE because they're under the cap (I think it's only available to teams over the cap), and if they did, they'd have to trade something with it...like a pick or the rights to some player (like Andrew Betts from the Al Harrington trade).

Peck
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
It's OKC.

:blush: Um, yeah that's what I meant....

Major Cold
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't believe Detroit would get a TPE because they're under the cap (I think it's only available to teams over the cap), and if they did, they'd have to trade something with it...like a pick or the rights to some player (like Andrew Betts from the Al Harrington trade).

Serge Ibaka?

count55
06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Serge Ibaka?

No, the medication I was prescribed cleared it right up. Thanks for asking, though.

CableKC
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Then why would Detroit do this?

Doesn't it ( in someway ) allow them to have more flexiblility to make more FA moves or even future trades?

count55
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Then why would Detroit do this?

Doesn't it ( in someway ) allow them to have more flexiblility to make more FA moves or even future trades?

It puts them $5mm further under the cap...they don't get the TPE because they don't need the TPE...

They are about $16-17mm under the cap...By getting rid of Johnson's $3.7 and the cap hold from the #15 (about $1.5), they'd have over $20mm in space to sign free agents or take trades.

That would be enough (I think) to sign both the guys mentioned in the article: Millsap and Gordon.

(Gordon, however, doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, because he's really a poor man's Iverson...I'd think you'd have the same lineup problems you had last season.)

Major Cold
06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Remember that the Clips got Marcus Camby with a second round pick. Detroit could involve another team to get a veteran.

Wasn't Amir Johnson suppose to start this year?

Kstat
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Agree that Gordon makes no sense at all unless two requirements are met: Rip Hamilton is dealt, and a shot blocking center is acquired to make up for the fact both Gordon and Millsapp are undersized in the paint.

Shade
06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion that the Jazz are going to let Millsap walk? Has Boozer yet committed to the player option for next season?

wintermute
06-03-2009, 02:49 PM
jazz have been insisting they'll keep millsap, luxury tax or not.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705305105,00.html

The Jazz, Miller said in a reiteration of comments made previously from within the organization, will do whatever it takes to retain restricted free agent Paul Millsap — even if their player payroll was pushed beyond $71 million and into tax territory because starting power forward Carlos Boozer, starting center Mehmet Okur and backup shooting guard Kyle Korver all were to decide against becoming free agents this offseason.

"If we need to," Miller told KSL-TV Ch. 5's Tom Kirkland, "we would not rule out paying luxury-tax money in order to keep him on the team.

"I just love what I see in him. I love his aggression; I love his hustle. He always just seems to be in the right place in the right time."

personally, i think they'll try to trade boozer though (maybe to detroit) if that happens.

count55
06-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion that the Jazz are going to let Millsap walk? Has Boozer yet committed to the player option for next season?

jazz have been insisting they'll keep millsap, luxury tax or not.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705305105,00.html

personally, i think they'll try to trade boozer though (maybe to detroit) if that happens.

I was merely using those guys for illustration, because they were mentioned in the article.

I'm sure that Detroit, like a lot of other teams, is interested in Millsap. I'm also sure that Utah desperately wants to keep him.

It seems more likely to me that Detroit would be able to get Boozer (probably through trade) than Millsap, but it's early in the summer, yet.

OakMoses
06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Utah has to say they're willing to go over the luxury tax to re-sign Millsap. There's no point in saying anything else unless you really don't want him on your team next season.

CableKC
06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
It puts them $5mm further under the cap...they don't get the TPE because they don't need the TPE...
Just to clarify....do you mean that they don't get a TPE ONLY because they are significantly under the Cap?

or

Are you saying that a TPE gets generated ( regardless of Cap situation ) but the Pistons don't need it since they are under the cap?

count55
06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Just to clarify....do you mean that they don't get a TPE ONLY because they are significantly under the Cap?

or

Are you saying that a TPE gets generated ( regardless of Cap situation ) but the Pistons don't need it since they are under the cap?

No TPE is created unless one team is over the cap.

Trophy
06-03-2009, 06:21 PM
...and the rebuilding of the Detroit Pistons begins.

Anthem
06-03-2009, 10:30 PM
...and the rebuilding of the Detroit Pistons begins.
Dude, we're almost a year into it.

ABADays
06-03-2009, 11:11 PM
No, the medication I was prescribed cleared it right up. Thanks for asking, though.

:laugh: