PDA

View Full Version : Why not the D-League?

RamBo_Lamar
06-01-2009, 01:10 PM
With all the uncertainty of who to take in the upcoming draft, along with the
dearth of big men, got to thinking why not just use our picks on the best
player available regardless of position, and look to the D-League to to fill
specific needs.

When talking about a specific need, my thoughts are currently of a PF who
has the size, strength, and will to mix it up in the paint especially looking to
be a defensive stopper.

I don't know much about many D-League players, but when briefly looking
through some of their stats, see a guy like Richard Hendrix.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=richard_hendrix

I would think next season would be a great opportunity for a guy like him
or other top D-League big men to break into the league as contributors.

Thoughts?

naptownmenace
06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I would think next season would be a great opportunity for a guy like him or other top D-League big men to break into the league as contributors.

Thoughts?

The Pacers have the rights to a D-Leaguer they need to re-sign, IMO, Josh McRoberts. I was really pleased with Josh's defense and hustle in the limited minutes he got to play last year. He could easily develop into a Birdman, David Lee, type of hustler.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu is another ex-D-League player with tons of athleticism and hustle. He's an excellent rebounder (5.4 in less than 14 minutes a night) and scorer and would be perfect in the Pacers up-tempo style of offense. He finished strong with Raptors and proved he deserved to play in the big league. He would probably be signed for very little - less than mid to late first rounder.

NapTonius Monk
06-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't know much about many D-League players, but when briefly looking through some of their stats, see a guy like Richard Hendrix.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=richard_hendrix

I would think next season would be a great opportunity for a guy like him
or other top D-League big men to break into the league as contributors.

Thoughts?

I thought the Cavs had the rights to Hendrix. If not, we should give him a shot, pronto!

pianoman
06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I think that we will briefly look into the d-league, but not really care. The pacers have a history with not bothering with the D-league.

Spirit
06-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu is another ex-D-League player with tons of athleticism and hustle. He's an excellent rebounder (5.4 in less than 14 minutes a night) and scorer and would be perfect in the Pacers up-tempo style of offense. He finished strong with Raptors and proved he deserved to play in the big league. He would probably be signed for very little - less than mid to late first rounder.
Don't put the bolded words together. Granted, he's a decent hustle guy, but his only offense is putbacks, which is one of the reasons he isn't a player that is consistently in the NBA. Give him a jumper and a few post moves and he would be a player everyone wanted. Unfortunately, he doesn't have those skills.

flox
06-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Don't put the bolded words together. Granted, he's a decent hustle guy, but his only offense is putbacks, which is one of the reasons he isn't a player that is consistently in the NBA. Give him a jumper and a few post moves and he would be a player everyone wanted. Unfortunately, he doesn't have those skills.

If you gave him 20-40 more pounds on his frame that helps as well.

Jonathan
06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Paging James White.

If the Pacers do not acquire another second round pick this year I believe we will have a non-drafted player getting some D-league minutes Lester Hudson or maybe even Jeff Pendergraph come to mind.

d_c
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
I thought the Cavs had the rights to Hendrix. If not, we should give him a shot, pronto!

Nobody has sthe rights to Hendrix. The Warriors drafted him in the 2nd round hoping he'd be the next Milsap. Then he got cut from the team and went to the DLeague.

He ended up never getting the call up from any NBA team.

RamBo_Lamar
06-02-2009, 02:46 PM
And then there's a 6'8 forward out there, Brent Petway, who is the D-League's
reigning defensive player of the year. Too small for PF, but an intriguing player
nevertheless. This kid definitely has some hops and can play above the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIT9D2HdGjc

Since86
06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I remember watching him at Michigan, and in the dunk contest. Didn't really seem like the type of player LB is looking for.

Kemo
06-02-2009, 04:59 PM
And then there's a 6'8 forward out there, Brent Petway, who is the D-League's
reigning defensive player of the year. Too small for PF, but an intriguing player
nevertheless. This kid definitely has some hops and can play above the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIT9D2HdGjc

ya dude is a BEAST , I've seen him play a few times and wondered why he wasn't in the NBA..

here is a nice lil video of dunks he was doin in the gym .. pretty damn impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQl0IffbvA&feature=related

Trophy
06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
He'll get his chance in the NBA. Maybe with us who knows?

flox
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
This guy looks way to skinny to play. He'll probably get abused. He's a great athlete though. Maybe a future lockdown defender, but his shooting looks pretty bad.

idioteque
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Paging James White.

If the Pacers do not acquire another second round pick this year I believe we will have a non-drafted player getting some D-league minutes Lester Hudson or maybe even Jeff Pendergraph come to mind.

Barring something really weird there is no way Pendergraph goes undrafted.

idioteque
06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
If you gave him 20-40 more pounds on his frame that helps as well.

He has actually vastly improved since college because he has gained some weight. I agree that more will help him.

His jumper is actually much, much better than it was in college, as well. His post game is still incredibly raw though and will never be his strong suit.

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
What happened to Rod Benson?

Placebo
06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I think we need to bring Lorbek before we look at d-league. He had a great year.

NuffSaid
06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
If I understand the process correctly, most D-League players are sent to the D-League within their 1st or 2nd year of being drafted by their respective NBA team. So, they would be off limits to all other teams except the team that drafted said player. All other players who sign directly with their D-League team are free game. That leaves a handful of players to choose from.