PDA

View Full Version : Should Pacers buy an additional 1st round draft pick?

Smoothdave1
05-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Just curious as to what the thoughts were about the Pacers possibly buying a later 1st round pick? Sounds like a couple of teams may offer their picks for cash considerations? Think Bird and the Simons would go for it? If so, whom would you like to see us draft?

pianoman
05-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Just curious as to what the thoughts were about the Pacers possibly buying a later 1st round pick? Sounds like a couple of teams may offer their picks for cash considerations? Think Bird and the Simons would go for it? If so, whom would you like to see us draft?

I don't think they would, but I Think that it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Los Angeles
05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
I think you've got just as much of a chance of our second rounder panning out as we do a purchased late 1st from this class.

No extra cash necessary.

pwee31
05-31-2009, 11:43 PM
It sounds like an interesting idea, but it would depends on how the pick would cost, because you have to pay that amount, as well as the 1st round draft pick contract.

MillerTime
05-31-2009, 11:52 PM
If we can buy a late first, I wouldn't mind Hansborough or if we're lucky, Ellington

Anthem
06-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Depends on what it would cost and who we could get. A free first-rounder for the chance to draft Tyler? Sure. $3mil to get a pick when there's nobody worthwhile left on the board? No way.

The Pacers are cash-poor at the moment, so I find the whole thing pretty doubtful.

DrFife
06-01-2009, 12:06 AM
My answer is "definitely!"

I like this avenue for the Pacers to acquire talent, and I believe there are several players further down who are worth taking a chance on developing. That said, such financial commitments will only be made with other decisions in mind, of course.

And for what it's worth, I believe I read last week that Oklahoma City allegedly had already turned down an offer (from whom I don't recall) to sell their #25 pick for $3 million. Gold diggers.:p

CableKC
06-01-2009, 12:14 AM
I think they should....doubt that they do....but understand why they won't. One way or another we would be spending some $$$ on some end of the bench player....might as well spend it on some draft pick.

jeffg-body
06-01-2009, 12:15 AM
If they can get one on the cheap I say why the heck not. I'd prefer a trade to get the late 1st rounder, but if we can buy it straight out I say go for it if our guys that we may be coveting are still on the board.

Will Galen
06-01-2009, 12:38 AM
The problem I see is buying a pick and the player you want then not being there. Say the Pacers could buy the 26th pick to get Hansborough and he's the only player they want at that pick. What happens if he's picked at 25?

To buy a pick you would have to know that there will be a good player available at that pick. This summers draft is said to be a bad one so I would say no, the Pacers shouldn't buy a pick this year.

CableKC
06-01-2009, 01:16 AM
The problem I see is buying a pick and the player you want then not being there. Say the Pacers could buy the 26th pick to get Hansborough and he's the only player they want at that pick. What happens if he's picked at 25?

To buy a pick you would have to know that there will be a good player available at that pick. This summers draft is said to be a bad one so I would say no, the Pacers shouldn't buy a pick this year.
I don't know how it works....but 'm guessing that TPTB would have contacted Teams to get an idea about which are interested in selling their picks. I there was a player that we were interested in and there is a team that we know is interested in selling their pick...we wouldn't actually pull the trigger until we knew that the player was available....much like it was done this last draft with Bayless with the Blazers. If a certain list of players weren't available at the 11th pick.....then the BRush/Jack deal wouldn't have gone through.

Bball
06-01-2009, 04:13 AM
I don't know how it works....but 'm guessing that TPTB would have contacted Teams to get an idea about which are interested in selling their picks. I there was a player that we were interested in and there is a team that we know is interested in selling their pick...we wouldn't actually pull the trigger until we knew that the player was available....much like it was done this last draft with Bayless with the Blazers. If a certain list of players weren't available at the 11th pick.....then the BRush/Jack deal wouldn't have gone through.

Right, but under that scenario there's no guarantee that the team selling the pick won't get a better offer before draft day... or even right before the pick... so if you snooze you just might lose.

So it's a gamble either way.

No team will solely hold a pick JUST for the Pacers to see if their guy will be there.

IOW, it would have to be a contingency deal that would be based on IF player X is available and IF team Y still has their pick for sale THEN the deal is made.

Pacers
06-01-2009, 05:58 AM
You gotta spend money to make money. Spending some cash to buy a pick to get a guy that makes us a better team will pay off in the end.

And the Pacers wouldn't buy anyone's pick until that team is actually on the clock, and the guy they want is still on the board.

Justin Tyme
06-01-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd like to see the Pacers buy Minnie's 18th pick, but money is the issue. I just don't see the Simon's spending the money. If the Pacers get another pick, it will be thru a trade.

Major Cold
06-01-2009, 09:31 AM
You spend 3M on the pick and 1M on a player. Sure the 3M does not count against the cap, but is there any player worth 4M this late in the draft. Rudy Fernandez was worth it, but is some of the guys you have been saying?

BobbyMac
06-01-2009, 09:41 AM
i still think the Pacers should package their 1st round pick with Tinsley for someone to back up Roy and Troy in the front court, unless we can move JT or TJ, with our pick to go higher and get another PG. As for buying another pick....not unless it's REAL cheap.

Eindar
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I think if you can buy a pick to get Hansborough, you do it, because it looks like he's going to be a shorter version of Jeff Foster. Otherwise, I don't see anyone late in the draft that would be worth investing that kind of money in.

Unclebuck
06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
The only way the Pacers would do it is if a player they really want is slipping into the late first round pick and the Pacers believe the player would be taken before the second round

ChicagoJ
06-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I've been reading that the position this draft is semi-deep in is PG. If we could find a taker for TJ Ford, then drafting a PG to backup Jack with a late first-rounder seems like a good idea to me.

I'll be frustrated if we take a PG with our regular pick, after trading for two PGs on draft day (close enough, no need to correct me with the actual dates) last year. Especially since we still need PF/C help/ depth.

CableKC
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Right, but under that scenario there's no guarantee that the team selling the pick won't get a better offer before draft day... or even right before the pick... so if you snooze you just might lose.

So it's a gamble either way.

No team will solely hold a pick JUST for the Pacers to see if their guy will be there.

IOW, it would have to be a contingency deal that would be based on IF player X is available and IF team Y still has their pick for sale THEN the deal is made.
Isn't that what I pretty much said? Find out which Teams are interested in selling their pick, wait to see if the Player we want drops to that Teams spot...then check back with them to see if we can buy the pick? :shrug:

Major Cold
06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I would not mind Patrick Mills, Tyler Hansbourgh, or even Sam Young. Anyone else....no thanks.

BKK
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
is there a team picking late with multiple picks and in cost-cuting mode?

count55
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Well, apparently we aren't the only ones considering this:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InsiderNotes-090601 (Insider column, so may not be accessible)

The Pacers, who are picking 13th, also wouldn't mind one more pick and shouldn't have a hard time finding a taker. A number of teams don't seem too enthralled with this year's talent and are willing to sell for the right price. The Wizards have a high lottery pick they'd consider moving.

I don't think he intended to imply that the Pacers were a suitor for the #5 pick (though they may be), I think he was just talking about teams that were open to trading down or out of the draft.

Dr. Awesome
06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I think if you can buy a pick to get Hansborough, you do it, because it looks like he's going to be a shorter version of Jeff Foster. Otherwise, I don't see anyone late in the draft that would be worth investing that kind of money in.

Agreed - though I'd also love to move up in the second round to get Danny Green, but that could be cheap.

Dr. Awesome
06-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I've been reading that the position this draft is semi-deep in is PG. If we could find a taker for TJ Ford, then drafting a PG to backup Jack with a late first-rounder seems like a good idea to me.

I'll be frustrated if we take a PG with our regular pick, after trading for two PGs on draft day (close enough, no need to correct me with the actual dates) last year. Especially since we still need PF/C help/ depth.

There isn't one PF or C worth taking at #13 unless you think Earl Clark can play PF. Blair is a bust and Mullins isn't needed with Hibbert - at least not that high. Neither Ford or Jack are the long term answer for us, and while I hope we have Jack for the rest of his career - it would be in a backup role ideally. This is a PG rich draft and with not many other options around #13, I think its likely we go PG or either Clark, Daye, or Williams.

Dr. Awesome
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InsiderNotes-090601 (Insider column, so may not be accessible)

I don't think he intended to imply that the Pacers were a suitor for the #5 pick (though they may be), I think he was just talking about teams that were open to trading down or out of the draft.

It also says we are looking at Austin Daye. I don't know about taking him over Clark though.

ChicagoJ
06-01-2009, 03:20 PM
There isn't one PF or C worth taking at #13 unless you think Earl Clark can play PF. Blair is a bust and Mullins isn't needed with Hibbert - at least not that high. Neither Ford or Jack are the long term answer for us, and while I hope we have Jack for the rest of his career - it would be in a backup role ideally. This is a PG rich draft and with not many other options around #13, I think its likely we go PG or either Clark, Daye, or Williams.

Okay, then package the #13 for a PF drafted in the past year or two and try to pick up a later first round pick for use on one of the PGs.

Trophy
06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
There really isn't anyone else who we need. We're better off at picking 13 and 52. Maybe another draft night move with our selection for someone else's selection.

Justin Tyme
06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
There really isn't anyone else who we need.

What is this suppose to mean?

Did the Pacers make the playoffs, win the ECF, or the 2009 championship? If the answer is NO, then the Pacers NEED someone else!

Justin Tyme
06-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Okay, then package the #13 for a PF drafted in the past year or two and try to pick up a later first round pick for use on one of the PGs.

JJ Hickson would be nice.

Jonathan
06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I would have no problem buying an additional pick but the Tinsley arbitration puts a hamper on the whole deal. A player I think that may be worth a late round flier is Ganai Lawil.

My idea draft is the Pacers trade both their picks to Portland and receive three of their picks (24/38/57).

Shade
06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Absolutely. The Pacers have holes to fill and can do so relatively cheaply with more picks.

Shade
06-02-2009, 03:12 PM

I would jump at the #5 if it would net us Jordan Hill.

DGPR
06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
What about buying a second round pick? I wouldn't mind having Tyler Smith from Tennessee around for cheap if he makes it to the second round.

duke dynamite
06-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I'll take an E, O, and an A.