PDA

View Full Version : Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Trophy
05-31-2009, 09:49 PM
The 2 time All-Star from Lithuania is nearing the end of the career and it was all with the Cavaliers.

He's not sure if he wants to stay or become a FA with his player opt.

Are we the team for him? Is he the player for us?

He would be a help but again due to his age he's better off with the Spurs if anyone.

I've always liked him because of his height and his defense in the paint and ability to shoot field goals.

Opinions?

MillerTime
05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Z isnt opting out of his $11,541,074 salary. He wont make that kind of money else where. I wouldnt mind trading Murphy for him because we'll be able to get a post player and a lot of cap space in 2010 (but I dont see Cavs doing it).

Trophy
05-31-2009, 09:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/2009/05/31/ilgauskas.090531.cavaliers/index.html

Interview that was today.

vnzla81
05-31-2009, 10:00 PM
no thanks.

Trophy
05-31-2009, 10:06 PM
I just think he's a guy that Roy can learn from at center and eventually when Z retires or his contract expires Roy can be our long time big man at center who can get us to the playoffs and beyond the first round. Our new and better Jeff Foster.

jeffg-body
05-31-2009, 10:43 PM
He's not opting out so he can get less than half of his current salary. If he thinks he can get better he is suffering from some sort of mental illness.

spreedom
06-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I think he's a very intelligent center, but physically can't perform at an incredibly high level for 82+ games a year. I think next year and beyond he's best suited off the bench... that said, I'd love it if it was ours.

Anthem
06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
We can't afford to sign him. I'd be happy to trade Murph for him if the offer was made.

BobbyMac
06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
We can't afford him...BTW Murphy is a better player at this point.

duke dynamite
06-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Meh...

Unclebuck
06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I think his overall defense is not good as I think it was rather obvious against the Magic. Not only did he not have a chance against Howard, but he was abused on pick and rolls. Reminds me of Rik Smits defense. I don't want him on the Pacers

ABADays
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh please no. What is Murphy going to have to do to get some respect - average a TRIPLE double next season? Sheesh.

Peck
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
When I think of up-tempo pass oriented offense Big Z is not exactly the first person who comes to my mind.

That said I have always thought his defense was below average.

No thanks.

PR07
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
He used to have some inside game, now it looks like he's simply a pick-and-pop shooter, shooting from midrange. His defense has never been good, and he's not an asset on the glass. This frontcourt could use athleticism, toughness, and shotblocking; none of which Big Z provides.

Trophy
06-01-2009, 03:26 PM

No doubt.

d_c
06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Oh please no. What is Murphy going to have to do to get some respect - average a TRIPLE double next season? Sheesh.

Quite simply: Improving upon being one of the worst defensive starting bigmen in the league (especially for a board that puts so much emphasis on defense).

Trophy
06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I think Roy will learn to become a better defender than him. Also Troy is better off here than Z.

MillerTime
06-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Murphy needs to grt better defensively and also needs to get some post moves. He plays like a swing man and not a PF

Trophy
06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Murphy needs to grt better defensively and also needs to get some post moves. He plays like a swing man and not a PF

For the team we need a good backup PF who defends the post and Bird knows that's something we really need. He said he likes having Troy on our team because of his shooting and rebounding and I don't blame him. We were pretty limited to PFs last year.

MillerTime
06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Trading Murphy would be perfect and Zs contract ends in 2010 which would give us a chance at signing an All Star calibre big man like Amare, Bosh, Boozer (if he doesn't opt out)

count55
06-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Trading Murphy would be perfect and Zs contract ends in 2010 which would give us a chance at signing an All Star calibre big man like Amare, Bosh, Boozer (if he doesn't opt out)

No, it wouldn't. Even if Murph's salary went away, we'd still be only slightly below or at the cap next summer.

It's important to remember that to sign a major free agent, you really have to be $10-15mm or more under the salary cap (not the tax). You have to be able to fit them entirely in under the cap.

There's no realistic way that I can think of where we'll be able to sign any one more than the MLE next summer, and even that is very unlikely.

Slick Pinkham
06-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Quite simply: Improving upon being one of the worst defensive starting big men in the league (especially for a board that puts so much emphasis on defense).

Z's defense at this point is as bad as Troy's. Maybe better low post D, but easy to beat with quickness and his transition defense is substantially worse.

d_c
06-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Z's defense at this point is as bad as Troy's. Maybe better low post D, but easy to beat with quickness and his transition defense is substantially worse.

Z's defense looks worse than it is because he just spent an entire series going up against Dwight Howard, the best bigman in the game.

Troy in a best of 7 series vs. Howard? Hide the children.

count55
06-01-2009, 09:58 PM

I don't think d_c was comparing Z's defense to Troy's, per se. I think he was responding to the specific question about what T-Murda has to do to get respect.

It's a fair statement. I'm very proud and pleased with the way Troy played this year. He deserves a great deal of respect for turning his career back around, and basically giving the team everything he had. Unfortunately, this team was not good enough defensively, and that is Troy's biggest weakness. He's willing, and he plays within the framework of the team D, but there appear to be limitations in how good he could ever become, defensively.

As long as those are there, and as long as he is our highest paid player, people will continue to look for something better. It may not be entirely fair to Troy, but it is what it is.

Trader Joe
06-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Z would have been fantastic for this team back in 03-04. The perfect big man next to in his prime JO, but now he's basically the anti-thesis of what we need.

Trophy
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Z would have been fantastic for this team back in 03-04. The perfect big man next to in his prime JO, but now he's basically the anti-thesis of what we need.

He reminds me of JO in some ways.

Trader Joe
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM

:confused:

Trophy
06-02-2009, 04:32 PM
:confused:

A few ways I can see them both playing well together. Both of them aren't much of the dunking and more of the jump shots. They kind of run up and down the court the same. They kind of have that fall behind hustle. They defend kind of the same in the paint.

Those are pretty much the similarities I can think of between them.

PacerDude
06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Tall and ............. ????

Dr. Goldfoot
06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Too old

Justin Tyme
06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Too much injury history, too slow, too old, too much salary(unless they want to trade for Foster and Tinsley which they won't), and too unathletic. Pass.

Granger-Rush09
06-04-2009, 08:26 PM

No, Murphy's stats were decent but the best thing he could do for this organization at this point is get traded. He Plays like a Bigger, Slower Dunleavy

Granger-Rush09
06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Big Z

http://images.art.com/images/-/Mr-Bill---Ohh-Nooo-Magnet-C11751410.jpeg